- Text Size +

It was night time when Jasmine returned with Danny.  She was gone for at least a couple of hours and Sam wasn’t sure how much longer she would be gone.  Then she heard a door open and a pair of footsteps walking in.  Sam could hear Jasmine call out, “Julie can you help me.”

Sam looked at Nick who was still lying down with his eyes closed.  Not sure if he was sleeping or just closing his eyes.  Sam touched his shoulder and gave it a nudge but Nick didn’t move or say anything.  Applying more force Sam called out, “Nick.”

Nick’s hand shot out and grabbed Sam’s arm causing her to gasp in shock.  It didn’t hurt her arm, it just frightened her.  She saw that Nick had a panicked look in his eyes as he looked around for some sign of danger.  When he finally realized what was happening he let go of Sam and gave her a painful look and apologized, “Sorry.”

“Nightmares,” Sam asked trying to comfort him.  Nick didn’t say anything and looked away.  “Maybe you should tell me what it was about.  It might help,” Sam said concerned about how he reacted over a dream.

At first it didn’t seem that Nick was going to saying anything, as the only sounds that could be heard were Jasmine and Julie talking to each and dishes clanking together.  Nick let out a tired sigh and said, “I dreamt of Angelica.”  The mere mention of the young girl that nearly killed them both sent a chill down her spine.  “She found us … and finished what she started.”

“But that was 30 years ago.  There’s no way she remembers us and in fact she doesn’t even know if we lived.  Nick it’s just a dream,” Sam said trying to help Nick.

Nick again let out a sigh and said, “I know, but it still doesn’t stop it from seeming so life like.”

Sam picked up Nick’s hand and held it in her hand and said, “It’s going to be okay this time.  You’ll see.”  Sam gave him her biggest smile that always caused him to smile back.

Nick smiled back, “Your right.”

There was a knocking on the ajar door before is swung open slowly.  Jasmine was in the door way peering in, “Dinner’s ready, you two hungry?”

“Yeah,” Nick said as he stood up and helped Sam to get up.  Jasmine walked in and picked them both up and brought them out.

 

Nick slowly chewed his food as all eyes were on him and Sam.  He and Sam were on a napkin with a small amount of meatloaf next to Jasmine.  Danny was seated across them looking at both of them fascinated; Jasmine was next to them to his right and Jasmine’s 1 year old child, Macy, was off to his left in a high chair.  Macy let out a giggle and clapped her hands playfully as she messed around with her plate of food.  Julie just poked her food with her fork and every once and a while she would glance at Nick and eye him up.  Nick did his best to ignore it for now not wanting to cause a scene.  Everyone was silent except for Macy who was making baby noises. 

“So… when will your father get home Danny,” Nick said trying to break the silence.  Just as Nick asked that he knew that was the wrong thing to ask as Danny suddenly got a sadden look on his face and looked down at his plate.  Julie gave Nick and even more hateful look as she stabbed her meatloaf with her fork.  Even the baby stopped making noise. 

“Ummm, Gabriel won’t be here,” Jasmine said sadden.

“Why,” Sam asked making Nick cringe at the obvious answer.

“He passed away a couple of months ago,” Jasmine answered.  There was that horrible silence again as no one was eating now.  “Maybe I should start filling you in on what has happened in the past 30 years.”

Nick nodded, “Yeah that might be a good idea.”

“Yeah,” Sam said happily trying to change the mood.  “How’s Annabel?  What about Isaac and Ruth?  How is everyone doing?”

Jasmine’s let out a chuckle, “Believe it or not, Annabel became a scientist.  When you guys made a big impression on all of us.”

“We left an impression?  How,” Sam asked.

“Well Sam, you made me want to be a nurse.  Every time Nick got hurt you were there helping him get better.  I wanted to be like you and not only help people but buggies too.  You won’t believe what Annabel did,” Jasmine said excitedly.  “When you guys left Annabel wanted to find a way to talk with buggies.  She wanted people to be able to see that buggies were more than … you know buggies.  So she study and experimented and found out how.  She developed a pill that would allow the person who swallows it to hear buggies talk!”  Nick and Sam both looked shocked.  Never would they have thought that Annabel would do something so extraordinary.   

 “So people don’t hurt buggies anymore?” Sam asked optimistically.

Jasmine’s smile faded at the question.  “Sadly, they still do.  The pill worked like a double edge sword.  The few people who treated buggies kindly became friendlier with them, while those who enjoyed the torment of them became more twisted.  They relished in the fact that they could listen to buggies as they do what they want with them.  More people are beginning to view buggies as more than just things, and try to help them, but not much has changed.”  Jasmine let out a depressed sigh. 

Trying to change the subject Nick brought up something else.  “So how are Isaac and Ruth doing?”  This only darkened the mood. 

Sam let out a gasp when Jasmine didn’t say anything, “No…”

Jasmine shook her head, “I haven’t seen them since you left.  I just figured…”

Nick clenched his fist as he felt rage build.  They were good people and didn’t deserve whatever happened to them.  He just hoped that it was quick and painless, but deep down Nick knew that was hardly possible.  He knew from firsthand experience what was out there for tiny people like them. 

Jasmine cleared her throat, “Tracie is doing well.”

Trying to seem strong, Sam did her best to hide the hurt she was feeling over Isaac and Ruth.  “Oh, how are things?”

“She went on to be a professional soccer player.  She made it for state and then national.  She retired and now is coaching the women’s soccer team for school.”

Nick smiled, “That’s good.  I knew she had potential.  I’m glad she’s doing so well.”  Trying to keep things going Nick asked, “How are your parents doing?”  Again the mood around the table became melancholy. 

Before Jasmine could say anything Danny got up and pushed his chair in and walked away.  Jasmine called for Danny to come back but he didn’t.  There was the sound of a door slamming shut.  Nick didn’t say anything as he realized that he asked the wrong question.  Jasmine let out a pained sigh.  “Gabriel was driving them to Danny’s birthday when he lost control of his car and hit a tree.”

Nick looked down at his food and realized what happened.  Danny held himself responsible for the death of his father and grandparents, and he just opened the wound twice in one night.  “Shit,” Nick whispered to himself.  “I didn’t mean to-”

Julie made a sound disdain and rolled her eyes.  She got out of her seat and said, “I’ll go talk to him.”

Jasmine stopped her and said, “I’ll go talk to him.”

“Let me try and help, I lost my grandparents when I was a kid too,” Sam said as Jasmine got up to leave.  Jasmine nodded and picked up Sam as they went to try and comfort Danny.

“Julie you mind taking care of the dishes, and putting Macy to bed,” Jasmine said as she took Sam to Danny’s room.

Julie didn’t say anything but got up and started to clear the table as Jasmine and Sam left.  Nick just sat there feeling like a jerk for killing the night.  He should have just shut up and let Jasmine fill them in on what was going on.  Julie cleared the table of everything except for Macy’s food and Nick’s small heap of food.

“Hurry up Macy and finish your food,” Julie told the child who just let out a gleeful laugh and started to play more with her food.

It was just the three of them sitting there and this time there was no way of ignoring Julie and her watchful glare.  She was like a cat who was sizing up its next prey.  Nick didn’t like how he left things with her by bring up her dead family members.  “Hey, look, I’m sorry about your dad and grandparents.”

Julie just waved it away as if they were talking about the weather, “Shit happens.  I got over it a little while ago.”

“Umm, ok.”

Julie leaned further forward with a wicked smile, “No, I’m more interested in the present.  Like the fact that there are 2 buggies in the house now…”  Nick felt a cold shiver run over his body even though he was wearing his hoodie.  Oh, shit… Nick said to himself.  Julie got up and sat in Jasmine’s chair so she could peer down at Nick as she got closer to him.  “You see I have been under a lot of pressure,” Julie poked Nick in the chest with her finger knocking him over and holding him down as she emphasized her point, “and need something to take the edge off.”  Nick gulped.  “You and your girlfriend picked a perfect time to show up.”

Rage quickly took hold of Nick.  “Don’t you dare touch Sam,” Nick warned Julie as her grin grew wider.  Julie now knew Nick’s weakness.

Standing up Julie went to pick up Macy, all the while keeping her eyes on Nick.  “If you don’t want her to get hurt then you better do whatever I say, and I mean everything.  Or she will end up finding her way in Macy’s diaper on chili night,” Julie said evilly as she walked away holding Macy who delightfully laughed at the mention of her name, not knowing that she was being used as a weapon.

Nick sat there stunned and frightened for Sam’s safety.  What should he do, go to Jasmine?  No, there was no telling what Julie would do to Sam if he did.  There was no way that Jasmine could keep Julie away from Sam all the time.  Things couldn’t get worse Nick thought as he held his head in his hands.  Yeah it was great to be back…