- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is a strange story featuring many weird things. 

You've been warned. 

(Join My Discord: https://discord.gg/MaW8EADUqf)

"Clear?"

"Clear."

The squad split as they pushed the dark chamber of the reactor. Their weapon's flashlights flashed ahead. Bodies lay around them, red and purple blood mixing.

Humans and monsters stacked and scattered.

They neared the reactor's center, which was surrounded by towering spires, each bearing ascending railings. A computer was set at the base of the ground floor—still powered. Beyond the facility, gigantic footsteps could be heard, shaking the distant land—a few vibrations felt here.

"How close is the fight?" asked one.

"Too close," answered the leader. "We've already been designated as a suicide squad. Nothing matters more than shutting this reactor down."

"Suicide…" the youngest answered, leading the front of the pack, "...only if we don't make extraction. Don't count us all dead yet." Bringing his weapon to his backpack, he felt its magnetic clip take hold of the assault rifle.

Then, approaching the terminal, he hovered his hands over the keyboard, which glowed green. "Fight isn't here yet… and we haven't entered a complete meltdown. It's only suicide if we don't do this in time."

Something rattled in the distance.

The rest of the squad flicked to the noise, but the rookie took his pistol from his waist—firing around the cylinder. The muzzle flash temporally revealed the elongated skin monster—which screeched from the bullet.

Several more followed as members of the squad turned and opened fire.

"Trust your sensors—not your senses," the rookie called, tilting his pistol and checking the tiny screen attached to its side. "They're crafty." He resumed his aim. "And they also know what we're doing here."

"Two men facing each direction," the leader called. "And trust the new boy's advice! He's fresher from training."

They held the site in the pitch darkness, and though the rookie went to type… his hands wouldn't stop shaking it. He watched them impassively with a narrowing expression. Above and around, claws clacked against metal, the Zonon crawling along the spires and walls.

Get a hold of yourself, the rookie, Lark, drilled into himself. Everything depends on you.

Stilling his hands, Lark resumed typing, retrieving the logs, discovering what nearly sent the reactor into meltdown. Green text flashed on the screen, while around Lark, muzzles flashed and bullets flew.

Zonon hissed and screeched, bodies dropping, metal scrapping, screams and shouts echoing. Taking a deep breath, Lark blocked out the noise, hearing only his typing.

Lark focused on the job at hand.

Which meant reading things he shouldn't.

This… this isn't right…

Lark's eyes flashed across the text.

These backlogs… the pumps' pressures… compounds that should never be mixed… i-it… can't be accidental…

Lark blinked.

Who would send this reactor into a meltdown? An employee? Terrorist? No. A misguided soul thinking this would wipe out the Zankek? Maybe.

"Lark!" the leader called as the group had retreated, while around them, the continual flashes revealed the never-ending Zonon crawling along the walls. "What's your status? We've got a damn infestation here!"

Lark hunched further over the terminal, hating himself. Seeing the compound mixing station next to the computer, he came up with an idea. "Status is this place is fucked. Doesn't matter we cut the power. The shit that shouldn't be mixed—already is."

One man stopped firing. "So we’re dead!"

"Settle down." Lark resumed typing commands. Next to him, the mixing station powered—running off the reserve energy. "This place might be going boom... but we can still control the size."

Inside the machine, a canister was filled with precious liquid, with mist cascading off the canister. Air was compressed as the canister was lowered from the device to the presented tube. Lark fetched it. "But we can introduce a little something to temper the mixture."

The leader glanced. "What do you need, Rook?"

"A distraction," Lark answered, carefully heaving the heavy canister. Volatile power was behind it—the same injected into a few select humans. "I need to reach Area C's injector. Only I need to do it. The rest can use their escape as my distraction."

Turning from the firefight, the leader smacked his hand onto Lark's shoulder. He stared into the young man's eyes. "You seriously think we're leaving this mission's success in a 'new' shit's hands?"

Lark beat a fist against his chest, activating a device that cast red laser lines across his form. In a blink, Lark disappeared, stepping away from the hand, his cloak enabling.

"I move faster alone," Lark said. "And there's enough energy to cover my trip. If all of you leave, the Zono will follow." He stood firm. "Better that than a firefight to the heart of the hive."

The leader stood there, glaring. "This place still blows."

"And you'll be safely on a chopper."

The leader was silent, then: "How long till we know you didn't fuck up?"

"Fifteen minutes, max."

"...and this is the best strategy?"

"Wouldn't suggest it otherwise."

The leader glanced at his men, then the magazines on the ground, the piled bodies, the pooling blood. Around them, claws tore into the metallic floor, growls from out of this world echoing collectively.

Shaking his head, the leader sighed, looking back to the sacrifice. "They can still hear you. This won't be an easy clear."

"I know."

"Anyone I should relay your final words to?"

"Negative."

"No wonder you want the easy way out," the leader cackled. "...fine. You'll be labelled a hero." He gave a faux salute. "I'm sure everyone will remember you after the war."

Lark smirked. "Another negative."

The leader laughed. "Jackass until the end."

Lark smiled.

And the leader turned away. "Do your job, recruit."

The leader rallied the man away, beginning their journey to the rooftop. The crawling monsters followed them while Lark remained still, watching how the creatures swarmed.

The Zonon were intelligent and clever—but they hadn't fully grasped the capability of humanity's technology.

Don't fall into arrogance.

Stay sharp.


Askura stood statically inside the towering vessel—one of the few things she could still fit inside. All was dark… save for the holographic screens lit upon the chamber's walls.

Each revealed various footage across the city, with sprawling text beneath.

Beneath those screens were smaller screens composed of text, constantly updating with numbers that were best left unseen. Various chats were opened, as were the ever-changing reports.

Different lights shone on Askura's lowered face. Her eyes were closed as she existed inside herself for a moment.

//ARNE: IS SUBJECT FIVE READY FOR DEPLOYMENT?

Askura exhaled, nodding. "Affirmative."

//ARNE: WARNING! ARNE WILL NOT BE PROPERLY ABLE TO REGULATE THE NUFRAY IN YOUR SYSTEM.

LIKELIHOOD OF A SUCCESSFUL MISSION: 62%.

"That's fine," Askura answered. "Just gotta beat the Zankek before it comes to that." Looking around the vessel, the transformed giantess searched for the Natdoso area footage. "How long till the Zankek arrives at the targeted site?"

//ARNE: ESTIMATION SET FOR TWENTY TO TWENTY-FIVE MINUTES.

"And the area's been evacuated?"

//ARNE: THE AREA HAS BEEN ABANDONED DUE TO THE NATDOSO REACTOR FAILURE/SABOTAGE.

"Hm…" Collecting her chestnut hair, Asakura raised and captured it inside a ponytail. "Heard about that. Any friendlies there?"

//ARNE: A SUICIDE SQUAD WAS SENT TO REDUCE THE MELTDOWN. CURRENTLY, THEY ARE EN ROUTE FOR EXTRACTION.

"Will they be out in time?"

//ARNE: PROBABILITY OF EITHER EXTRACTION OR DEATH BEFORE NACTO ASKRUA'S ARRIVAL: 95%

"Mhm," Askura released. "Making it so I won't feel guilty for their deaths?"

//ARNE: AFFIRMATIVE. SUBJECT FIVE REMAINS 'SQUIRMY' AROUND NECESSARY BUT FRIENDLY CAUSALITIES.

FARCO COMMAND WON'T HAVE SATISFACTORY RESULTS IF ASKRUKA'S OPERATING CONDITIONS AREN'T MET.

THIS MISSION ALLOWS SAFE DESTRUCTION WITHOUT FEAR OF CAUSALITIES

"Hm." Askura wanted to protest... but didn't have the heart for it. "Whatever. I'll try to keep damages to a minimum."

//ARNE: DESPITE SUCH AFFECTING YOUR COMBAT RANKING, ASKURA'S SURVIVAL TAKES A HIGHER PRIORITY.

Askura rolled her eyes. "Thanks."

Outside, the vessel rode adjacent, gigantic railings, which sizzled with electricity. Zapping, the rails charged, and the cylinder blew forward—doubling its speed.


Don't take the shot.

Lark remained crouched behind a corner though peered out into a vast, dark hallway. Ahead, a Zonon was posted, on its claws and feet, its back considerably curved downward.

Its featureless face was raised high. Nothing but a line was its mouth.

But when that line spread, the rest of its head peeled back, revealing the monster's maw. Behind was a great throat composed of many protruding, moving flaps of flesh—with uncountable teeth on each.

The Zonon seemed to be tasting the air.

Shit. Lark leaned back from the corner. Is that a habit for them—or a way for them to track? His head shook. I've never seen this written on their files.

Lark had a perfect moment to fire, the shot covered perfectly by the silencer… but what would happen if these monsters could know the second one of their own had perished?

Anything that tempted fate needed to be a last resort. Steeling himself, Lark reached down his belt, feeling a grenade.

Whatever it's doing… I just need to get it to stop.

Grabbing the grenade, Lark raised it into the air, not pulling the pin, but instead throwing it afar, hearing—seconds later—metal clank against metal.

The monster stopped tasting the air and hissed immediately, charging with a weird slither toward the spot.

And Lark, presented with an opening, took it as he crouched-walk into and across the hallway, coming to leave Area B, and entering Area C.

As he did so, Zonon were on the walls, patrolling, crawling up and down, some coming to nuzzle each other's cheek.

Lark was surrounded from all around, the amount unknown, their sounds diverse and plentiful, some close, others afar, all capable of pouncing upon him in seconds.

Keeping the same pace so there wasn't a disparity in sounds, Lark did the same with his breathing, keeping it quiet.

There's no rush… no need to do anything outside the book… Lark thought to himself, cooling his panic. You have time. There's no getting out of this. Use every last second. No need to rush. No need to rush.

…a message appeared on the visor to his helmet.

//GRADO: WARNING!

BREACH DETECTED IN NUFRAY CANISTER NINE-EIGHT-ONE-FOUR. NUFRAY CANISTER NINE-EIGHT-ONE-FOUR PREVIOUSLY CONSIDERED DEFECTIVE.

NUFRAY IS LETHAL TO UNHARMONIOUS SUBJECTS.

PLEASE DISPOSE OF CANISTER NINE-EIGHT-ONE-FOUR AT ONCE.

//: END OF TRANSMISSION

Lark slumped. He'd felt something like a mist phase through his suit. Closing his eyes and exhaling, he did not stop moving… only chuckling.

Mhm. Clever. Changing out the canisters so that, in the rescue team's panic, they would use the faulty one you had left.

Certainty thought of everything, didn't you, saboteur?

Lark started to feel worse instantly, his mind becoming hazy, his body hazy, as the surrounding terrors began to scare him less.

That countdown had lost a few minutes—and he would still need to be conscious to enact the final stages of the plan.

Nearing the next section of the reactor, Area C housed a large spire with a rounding staircase. This was the center pump where the Nufray compound could be injected into the rest of the system.

It was extremely high up—leading to another ceiling access.

But Lark coughed—covering the sound the best he could. The surrounding Zonon stopped and turned their heads, squealing. Remaining still, Lark waited.

The monsters started to move, separating but keeping together. The hissing of the canister was slowly getting louder.

Ah, screw it.

Whipping out his assault rifle from the side of his bag and turning in his circle, Lark counted sixteen Zonon on his tracker, all toward him. Many had been pulled toward the other team—meaning only stragglers were left.

Make your last stand worth talking about.

Waiting until the monsters touched the ground and started crawling toward him, Lark grinned, couching, hacking again… until a few monsters lined up.

Pulling a lever on the side of his weapon to enable piercing rounds, the gun charged up, powering—until a powerful blast followed the bullet's discharge.

In a blink, the round had blasted through three Zonon, two shots fired afterward with deadly accuracy, removing two more lines of foes. Lark's cloak vanished as he stepped back and turned—charging and firing another round at a Zonon that had leaped toward his back.

He took it and three others down, the trio having split, but Lark turned and fired faster, each shot for the head before he gazed upward—returning the gun to regular fire, and shooting the few on the ceiling who intended to fall directly overhead.

They did drop… and their bodies splattered against the ground, a powerful thud ringing.

With slow, controlled movement, Lark moved toward the staircase of the main spire, fully aware of every inch around him, testing and baiting the monsters.

He remained composed and in the zone as he remained on a swivel, knowing exactly where his next step would go.

It was a controlled fight.

It was a shame his vision started to cloud with mystical colours.


"Chopper is down, and we are clear of the site!"

"Anyone you need to delay extraction for?"

"Negative," the leader answered. "Anyone who could make it is here. Site is free for a Nacto deployment, over."

"Roger." The radio went silent. "Any upload from the left-behind?"

"Negative… but I have faith." Sounds of a helicopter ascending could be heard—as could a shutting door. "Rook won't end shit without having the last word. We'll have a status report within the promised time."

"And the Zonon?"

"…currently mowed down by the chopper."

"We still read life signals from Recruit Lark Farnoz," Fracto Command said. "Location seems to be near Area C. Farnoz appears to be in a firefight."

"He'll make it."

"Should you not have left another with him?"

"It was best left as a solo OP."

"…affirmative."


Askura's battle pod had been stalled before Natdoso, not wanting to draw extra attention to the valuable site.

However, with the team leader's approval, the rails powered with electricity again, and the pod hurled toward the targeted zone.

"W-What do they mean one was left behind?" Askura asked, unable to stop the hint of panic in her voice.

//ARNE: A NECESSARY ACTION.

DO NOT WORRY.

POSSIBILITY OF RECRUIT LARK FARNOZ BEING RIPPED APART BEFORE NACTO ASKURA'S ARRIVAL: 85%

"That's… not what I wanted to hear."

//ARNE: THIS IS WAR.

CASUALTIES ARE EXPECTED.

OUR JOB IS TO SECURE THE BEST OVERALL GOOD.

AS A NACTO—YOU MUST UNDERSTAND THIS THE BEST.

This is why I hate working with AI.

Askura closed her eyes, sighing. Her battle outfit—while flexible—left her feeling squeezed. It was nice, sometimes, because it helped with wanting to be hugged during challenging moments.

Can I do it? Askura then thought. Can I let someone die… so everyone else lives?

Nobody would blame her. Not even Command would fault her if she were to squish a person beneath her boot.

Because then it meant that she was fully absorbed in her task.

That she would use any means necessary to defeat the Zankek and bring greater peace to the world.

The more she was willing to use her surroundings to her advantage, the greater the probability of success Askura would have. The Zankek would have no trouble demolishing buildings—or throwing the girl through them.

Askura couldn't even connect to and use her Nufray abilities…

…but that monster could.

I need to get over myself, Askura said to herself. I need to do this.

She breathed deeply after a red light flicked inside her pod—meaning the site was near.

There's only a few of us left.


"Pass code accepted!" The automated voice to the terminal had said to Lark, who stood on the small round platform atop the spire.

He turned swiftly and fired instantly at the Zonon, crawling up the walls in an attempt to leap at him. "Override allowed. Canister introduction Port One opened. Please insert canister nine-eight-one-four now."

Finishing the rounds on his assault rifle, Lark flicked the weapon into piercing and overheating it. With the gun burning in his hands, he yanked it back and chuckled it forward—the weapon exploding upon contact with a leaping Zonon.

From there, he withdrew the canister with one hand and his sidearm with the other, taking delaying shots while placing the canister into the opening seal.

Pushing it down into the port and turning it, he saw the other side of the canister had opened.

Suddenly, the spire was alight in flowing, emerald lights, which were ethereal to the eyes.

The surrounding monsters started to squeal, hissing and screaming at the light, at the change of air, causing enough of a break for Lark to step away.

His head whizzed around at seeing the monsters suddenly back away.

Given a chance at escape, he took it, turning and running, a limp in his step, a cough between his breaths, while he ran across the platform to the pathway that would take him to the top of the reactor.

He ran… the surrounding air was hot… his breathing weak… the passing darkness fuzzy… those hiding in the darkness obscure. Faint clack after clack sounded from his boots, striking the pathway's grating.

Soon, Lark entered a hallway, one narrowed with a low ceiling.

Doors flanked Lark's sides, and once a green light flickered within his HUD, Lark stopped and turned. Before him was a thick, sealed, metallic door with a round locking mechanism in its middle.

Detecting life, a bulb peeked from the mechanism, lighting before scanning.

"FRACTO AUTHORIZATION DETECTED," the automated door spoke. "OVERRIDING DOOR NINE-SIX-NINE-FOUR'S LOCKDOWN TEMPORARILY." Slowly, the center mechanism turned, unlocking, air hissing, and the door opening. "PLEASE PROCEED TO DECONTAMINATION BEFORE EXITING THE FACILITY."

Lark chuckled, pistol lowered to his side, slumping. "Yeah, right."

He passed through the door as it opened, passing into the narrow runway.

"I'll get right on that."


//ARNIE: REACTOR READINGS DROPPED FROM 85% TO 63%.

LEVELS CONTINUE TO LOWER.

CONCLUSION: RECRUIT FARNOZ'S MISSION WAS SUCCESSFUL.

THE UNEXPECTED EXPLOSION OF NUFRAY HARMFUL TO NACTO ASKURA HAS BEEN ELIMINATED.

BATTLE CONDITIONS HAVE BEEN IMPROVED.

Askura glanced at the pod's side, appearing sad, sinking into herself. "And of him?"

//ARNIE: VITALS SHOW ACTIVE BUT DWELLING.

MOST PROBABLY LIKELIHOOD: SUBJECT HAS NUFRAY POISONING.

MOST LIKELY CONCLUSIONS: LARK FARNOZ WILL COMMIT TO A LAST STAND, OR RETIRE SOMEWHERE SAFE FOR HIS FINAL MOMENTS.

Asakura looked at the many screens. "Do you think… I'll get to meet him?"

//ARNIE: UNLIKELY NACTO ASKURA WILL EVEN FIND RECRUIT LARK FARNOZ'S CORPSE.

Asakura looked down, seeing the thin metal plating across her chest, feeling the squeezing black material beneath. The outfit protected her from most hazards.

Still… it would have been nice to reveal a little skin. Such thoughts, of course, were the last things on her mind.

//ARNIE: NOTE… RECRUIT LARK FARNOZ'S SACRIFICE WILL BE FOR NAUGHT IF NACTO ASKURA DOES NOT COMMIT TO HER MISSION.

Askura remained looking down.

The pod swayed slightly, shaking.

"…is that how you plan to motivate me?"

//ARNIE: SUCH IS A FACT.

INTERPRET IT AS YOU WILL.

ALERT! ARRIVING AT TARGET SITE! ZANKEK TWENTY-FIVE MILES OUT!

PREPARE FOR COMBAT!

Askura nodded. Behind, a compartment was pulled from the vessel's wall. Within was a slotted sword, black and plain, fully charged. With it pushed from its slot, Askura grabbed its handle—surprised by the weight of the slender weapon.

Her abs flexed.

"I-I've… n-never really used one of these before."

//ARNIE: SUBJECT FIVE MEETS THE MINIMAL REQUIREMENTS IN VR TRAINING FOR THE HF SWORD.

"But I—"

//ARNIE: FOCUSING ON WHAT YOU CANNOT DO IS NOT A WISE THING TO DO.

Askura sighed, nodding. Bringing the swords to her back, it magnetically clamped to the holder there. The tip of the sword loomed a foot from her ankles. Other compartments opened, bearing different grenades and gadgets, each grabbed and equipped.

//ARNIE: ARNIE.AI WILL TRY TO ADVISE AS BEST AS POSSIBLE DURING COMBAT.

Equipped, Asakura took a calming breath, the ride slowing. "I don't think so."


Reaching the top of the reactor where there was no route down, Lark came to stand at the edge of the platform, tapping the electric button on the underside of his helmet.

It blinked red three times… then flashing green. Air hissed as the helmet loosened, unlatching from Lark's head.

Raising it off his head and tossing the helmet aside, Lark came to sit upon the edge of the building, letting his legs dangle over. Lethargically, he removed the rest of his gear, feeling like a boulder was lifted from his shoulders.

Free and loose, the young adult exhaled—tasting the air.

…but his taste buds were numb.

Damn it.

Reaching into his breast pocket, Lark retrieved a small canister, twisting the cap, the cigar within sliding out. Biting off and spitting the head, he let what remained rest upon his lip, raising his pistol to the end.

Overclocking the weapon, heat buzzed from the muzzle, a fire flourishing.

The cigar was lit.

And the pistol was tossed over the edge.

So this is the end, huh?

Lark looked around while thick smoke undulated inside his mouth. Around the factory loomed a gray area of demolished buildings and slabs of concrete washed upon the road. The remains of various things were scattered across the zone—their previous identity forever to be unknown.

And above, the sky was black, covered by intimidating clouds. It was like they promised a storm that would never come. Rain that, if it touched skin, would reveal the flesh and bone beneath.

Sighing, Lark shook his head, enjoying his smoke.

It was like the weight of life had been lifted from his shoulders.

And he was free to enjoy these final moments as he pleased.

If I knew this was what dying was like, Lark thought, blowing smoke, enjoying the motion and sensation. I would have done it sooner. This is some top-notch stuff. Looking at his waist, where a battle-tested table remained affixed, he brought his hand to it, the device unlocking. Better let them know the job is done.

Raising the tablet before his face while his hand held the other, Lark couldn't help but see his reflection on the black screen—catching his smile. It was the first time he'd seen himself in a while. More than that, he seemed happy, loose and finally free.

There was a charm even he could recognize.

Heh… so that's what I look like, hey? Unable to help himself, Lark turned the device on, snapping a photo of his wide smile, the cigar in its middle. Once done, he tapped a message, sending out his final report.

//:USER LARK: Mission successful. Reactor stabilizing. Remember me at the end of the world.

With the photo and report uploaded, Lark turned off the device, tossing it. The last thing he needed was a last-ditch effort to save him. He wouldn't ruin the plan.

There could be no guilt on their part.

Freedom at last… Lark drew the smoke into his mouth again. And I might even see a fight before the end.

At peace, the recruit smoked, awaiting the end, feeling the happiest he'd ever been.


//ARNIE: SUBJECT FIVE HAS ARRIVED AT SITE.

UNLOCKING VESSEL.

Parts moved inside the pod. Things whizzed as air hissed. Closing her eyes in preparation, Asakura felt the pod's door slide open. Terrible winds blew inside the heated compartment. The outside world awaited.

It's time.

Opening her violet eyes, Askura looked determined, stepping from the pod, her boots sinking several feet into the ground. The pod—which had lowered from the railings—rose, starting to wind backward.

The giantess stood in the open.

Waiting.

//ARNIE: MISSION SARCA OBJECTIVE: DEFEAT AND OBLITERATE ZANKEK RANO.

TARGET MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO ABSORB ANY NUFRAY FROM THE REACTOR.

MISSION SARCA OBJECTIVE (OPTIMAL): PLEASE TRY TO COMPLETE THE MISSION AND EXTRACT BEFORE REACTOR MELTDOWN.

You've got this.

Askura deeply inhaled, though the air was terrible, not helping.

You've fought one before... with your bare hands, even. You weren't expecting it then—you're prepared now.

There's nothing to be scared of.

Shakily withdrawing her sword, Askura held it at her side, attempting to control both her breathing and panic… hoping her anxiety couldn't be unfelt.

Swallowing, she looked determinedly afar—waiting for the creature to approach.

"Aren't you something?" a voice over the radio spoke into her ear.

Askura shivered immediately, cutely yelping. She whipped in place, searching, winds discharging. Her mouth was opened as she blinked repeatedly.

"What are you—a rookie? Come now… least try to act like you're from a special program."

Lips trembling, the battle-outfitted giantess glanced around, arms drawing close to her front. "W-Who… w-where—"

"Don't lose your mind now—much depends on you, y'know." Chuckles. "I don't know the extent of your testing...but I'm certain it doesn't make you hear voices. Work it back. How are you hearing me right now?"

Askura blinked… before focusing on her goggles. Tapping a finger against their side, she saw her HUD float in—text scrolling.

//C: COMMUNICATIONS ESTABLISHED!

//C: VOICE-CALL CONNECTED TO [RECRUIT] LARK FARNOZ.

"Y-You!?"

"Me? Surely, I'm not that well known." More laughter—interrupted by a cough. "Relax yourself, now. I'm nobody.."

"B-BUT…" Askura whimpered and growled, feeling like a toddler in an adult situation. "W-Where…"

"Use that head of yours—you'll be doing the world a disservice by losing it." The voice loudly inhaled… before something puffed. "Use your gear. We have coms and a link. Use them."

Askura turned the palm of her free hand upward, squeezing it, a scan shooting outward. Her HUD was updated as she glanced around—though a green arrow guided her to the building at her side.

Looking down from her great height, she zoomed the view on her goggles, focusing on the green silhouette setting on the edge of the reactor.

There sat the black-haired boy, smirking into her gaze, legs swinging over the ledge, a cigar held in his hands. Despite his smooth skin, it seemed unhealthy.

It did not feel that he was healthy—but his expression hid it well.

"Now's not the time to fall in love," Lark said. "You've a fight to win."

Askura shirked. "C-Command said t-the site would be clear!"

"And it is." Lark nodded. "I'm all that's left—and I'm not here for long. I've got about—" He raised his wrist, checking his watch. "—fifteen minutes before probable expiration." His arm dropped. "I won't be a problem for you. So go about your business."

"D-Dude!" Askura cried, turning to the tiny. The tallest building of a slender woman was set for one mere boy. "Y-You're going to die! H-How can… h-how can you act so casually about this?"

"Because what else is there to do about it?" Lark asked. "Never been a fan of life anyway. This isn't a great loss for me."

"S-Still!"

"How about you focus less on me and more on yourself? Prepare for the target."

"C-Command said—"

"Command can only go off the intel it currently has," Lark said. "And don't go placing your complete faith in them. Command isn't divine. Sometimes... they're wrong."

A breath.

"You can't trust what is 'known'." Lark looked left of the building, staring afar. "Don't you find it strange the target is not here? Or that it would hint at the direction it would come from?"

Askura sighed. "I-I…"

"You haven't been on many ops, have you? You're tense—not ready." Lark looked at the giantess boots. "Are you aware of how much the ground sinks around you? Are you prepared for a Zankek grabbing you from beneath the ground—and pulling you under?"

Askura gasped. "T-They can do that?"

"We don't fully know what they can and cannot do," Lark answered. He turned his cigar, frowning at what remained. "Don't limit their capabilities to what you've read in the reports. Instead... consider every possibility.

"Could they come from beneath the ground? Could they drop from the sky? Could they arrive invisible? What ways do you have of detecting the three?"

"M-My gear?"

"And what if your gear isn't equipped for that? What if it gets knocked defective?" Lark tapped the side of his head. "Use that head of yours. It'll invent the answers once you've learned to trust it. The ground sinks beneath your feet—chances are, it'll do the same around them. Be aware of the possibility."

Askura blinked, glancing around, chestnut hair swinging. "And… what? That's too many things to be focused on."

"Focus on nothing, but consider everything," Lark said. "I know. Sounds cheap—but it's true. Be ready for anything. Notice and consider things, and keep them in the back of your mind. That way, you can flick between things as they become apparent—prepared for them."

"Sounds like you should have been the giant one."

"Too much work—and you’re more sexy."

"W-What the—d-don't throw out a line like that at a time like this!"

"And whatever will you do when the monsters learn to flirt?" Lark chuckled. "You'll be too flustered to fight."

"Y-You know I'm the big one, right?"

Lark grinned harder. "So?"

Askura clenched her hands, nearly stomping, though her head shook—hazelnut hair swinging. Looking around, she searched.

"What are you looking for?" Lark asked.

"You and your rudeness aside…" Askura spoke with a half-breath. "We need to get you out of here."

"That's a negative," Lark returned starkly. "This site has already been cleared, and I have probable Nufray Poisoning." He slumped forward, chuckling. "I'm already a dead man talking. This interaction is just my final hurrah."

Askura glared harder, waist pushed to the side, her hand resting upon it. "And… just what do you expect me to do? Let you be crushed during the fight?"

Lark nodded. "If you have to."

Askura stomped, the area shaking, booming. "I'm not just about to let you die!"

"Why?" Lark asked, raising his face, looking handsomely sinister. "Getting squashed by a lovely giantess seemed hardly the worst way to go."

"W-WILL YOU JUST… SHUT UP!" Askura screamed, stomping again, rattling the area and falling concrete slabs. Her eyes clenched tightly. "STOP TALKING! STOP… talking like that." Her eyes reopened, feeling slightly wet. "D-Don't you care that you're about to die?"

Seeming to drop the act, Lark's expression ceased being so lively.

Instead… all that remained… was his tired smile.

"No," Lark answered. "I don't. It's too late for me, anyway." He gazed far to the left. "All that matters to me now… is helping you out the best I can."

His head shook. "Listen. I don't know anything about you. I'm probably not the best one to advise you on anything. But I have some experience—and better visuals from the ground. I can offer you as much support as I can."

"Yeah!" Askura angrily yelled. "Until I fall on you—and communications get cut permanently!"

"So they get cut permanently—that's just how it is," Lark answered. "Listen. I know your anger—your hesitation. I'd much rather die than someone else doing it for my sake.

"But this is war. You're going to lose people. You need to become used to that."

"B-But I don't…"

"Want to lose anyone? I know." Lark drew a long sigh, tossing aside his cigar. "It's hard at first. Really hard. Some people never get over it… and others get too used to it."

Lark raised his arm, seeing his wrist, watching the clock there. "But you need to be better than us. I don't know your background… but you need to get used to losing people."

"I-I…" Askura breathed through her mouth, voice hitching, nearly breaking down and crying. "I don't want to lose anyone. I-I don't want to b-be the r-reason t-that you…"

"I know… and you're a good person," Lark answered. "Many Nacto take their newfound power and size to mean they're about humanity and morality. It's good that you haven't lost your heart. But you need to temper it. Regard this and me as a lesson, if you will."

"You're… not a lesson," Askura said. "You're a person."

"And a dying one at that," Lark said. "There's nothing you can do here… but prepare for the fight. The target is ten miles out. Check your sensor."

Askura focused on her HUD, seeing the mini-map, the dot approaching her center. Panic flushed. She shifted.

"Easy… don't let yourself become overwhelmed." Lark raised his hands and, holding them there, started to lower them. "You need to be relaxed. Ready. Move ahead to the intersection—give yourself coverage in case the Zankek has ranged abilities."

But the giantess stood there for a while, the great, howling winds barely strong enough to raise Askura's ponytail. She faced forward, breathing through her mouth, looking out to the dark, gray horizon.

She needed to move.

To act.

To be prepared.

But so much had her stunned in place.

"Miss Giantess?" Lark answered. "You alright?"

"A-Askura," Askura answered, turning to him. "Askura is my name. And… just you watch." Striding forward, she made the area casually rattle with her steps. "I'll defeat this monster in ten seconds flat."

Reaching the intersection, she stopped, smirking at Lark from over her shoulder. "And then I'll have enough time to get you out of here."

Lark watched her, expressionless, shocked and surprised… though coming to chuckle. "Is that so? Well, then. Best to listen to my every word, Miss Asakura."

Askura returned his laugh. "And why is that?"

"Because the only thing better than being crushed by you," Lark answered, "is being carried by you."

Askura blushed and squeaked, face sweating, heart hammering, while the target approached the site.

If it were not for the incoming monster, the girl would have probably strolled to the reactor and demolished it without a second thought.

"But just like me… you shouldn't be getting your hopes up," Lark's voice flooded into Askura's ear. "Obliterating the target is the top priority. I'll be dead before affecting that outcome."

Askura swallowed.

"Understand?"

Hesitantly, Askura nodded. "Y-Yes."

"Good," Lark continued. "Then let's get ready."