- Text Size +

The event that had shaken up the members of the Isekai Quartet high school had resulted in two separate pairs of students waking up to having found strange tiny cities all across their rooms. However, Tanya and Visha, as well as Megumin and Aqua, had decided to spend their Saturdays relaxing at home, where their encounters with shrunken cities resulted in them just deciding to have fun with them.


 


This would not quite be the case for a certain pair of maid twins, who woke up early in the morning, before the cities ever made it to their room.


 


The noise coming from Rem's bedroom at 6AM was just subtle enough that it wouldn't wake up her now master Emilia, who was sleeping in the other room. She woke up to the sun not having risen yet, taking off her cyan nightgown as she sat up. After years of waking up early, she no longer struggled with being sleepy early on in the day. After showering and brushing her teeth, she went straight to putting on her maid outfit, ready to clean the house with the help of her sister Ram.


 


Ram had woken up slightly earlier than Rem, being particularly more careful as Beatrice slept in the room next to hers, and she was a far lighter sleeper. She had already started cleaning their living room when Rem stepped out of the shower, wiping the floor to make sure it was nice and clean.


The two maids lived in a significantly smaller place than they used to, meaning that there wasn't nearly as much to clean- which was compensated by the fact that they now had to clean things such as the microwave and other appliances that they hadn't had to deal with before. 


Their cleaning routine went on until the sunshine started to peek in through the apartment windows. 


And precisely then, several small gray patches started to appear all across the various surfaces of the home...


Most appeared on the floor, with some appearing on furniture or inside small containers like cups and plates. Some even appeared among clothes and shoes, and many were hidden away underneath bed sheets. 


These gray patches, of course, were in truth incredibly tiny cities, pulled in from other parts of the world that collided when they all reached this world. But for now, Ram and Rem were too busy to notice them...


Until Rem felt something crunch under her foot.


"Huh?" The blue haired maid lifted her foot up, noticing the strange grayish dust stuck to the bottom of her black shoe.


"Ram... didn't you clean this part of the floor?"


"I did."


"Well, I just stepped on something crunchy. I think it's some sand, or rocks."


"What?!" Ram quickly snapped her head back towards Rem. It was extremely uncommon for her to miss something like this, so she quickly approached Rem to investigate.


"You're right, it is sand. But that's impossible! I cleaned this spot just like the rest of the floor!"


"Odd..." Rem had worked with her sister for long enough to know that she was indeed unlikely to make a mistake like this, but she still had work to do so she shrugged it off and kept going.


 


When she went to the kitchen to mop the floor, Rem's eyes were brought to the kitchen's countertop.


There, sprawled across the marbled surface, she saw more spots. 


Rem quickly walked over, confirming her worries.


"Huh...? I just cleaned this a moment ago! What... are these things?" 


 


To the citizens of one of the unfortunate buildings that had been brought to the countertop, Rem's investigation was the least of their worries. Their entire city was now at the edge of a huge, perfectly angled cliff, and the smell of cleaning chemicals overwhelmed their air, causing some to even pass out. 


As some citizens wandered off the city and onto the expanse of the countertop to investigate, the gigantic blue-haired maid's approach looked like a god coming to pass her final judgment on the city. The booming footsteps of her hard-soled shoes on similarly hard tile stopped, and was replaced with the motion of her arm rising, bringing her hand closer to the city... 


Rem scraped her finger through the gray patch, trying to gather as much as possible on her digit. She brought the gray stuff towards her blue eye, trying to find out just what it was... The ruins of the city laid throughout her finger like the aftermath of a nuclear explosion. 


 


Collapsed buildings, pancaked vehicles and panicked people mingled with the hills that were the ridges on her digit. And above them, the biggest eye they had ever seen, resembling an ocean more than an eye... 


"What is that... moving stuff?" Rem's voice, now significantly louder, caused whichever windows in the city hadn't shattered yet to explode. As Rem spotted tiny, moving specks, her pupils shrunk, before dilating once more. She noticed the geometry of the "sand" was... unnatural. It didn't take long for her to realize what she was holding in her finger. 


"A city?!" Rem whispered to herself. Her finger shook, causing the already ruined city to feel like an earthquake was happening.


The door to the kitchen opened. Ram walked in, with a slightly faster rhythm in her footsteps and a slight curving of her lips that indicated she was annoyed.


“I’ve looked closer into the dirt, Rem. It’s-”

“Cities. Yes, I’ve noticed… What should we…?”

Ram walked towards the counter as Rem spoke, letting Rem see that she held a spray cleaning bottle on one hand, and a wet rag in the other.

“Sister?”

Without hesitation, Ram sprayed the chemicals over a significant portion of the countertops. The strong smell and acidic liquid were only the beginning for the dozens of thousands of people caught in the shower of chemicals, because right after it, Ram started wiping the surface down with the rag. Cities were obliterated in no time, leaving the countertop pristine.

Rem’s eyes widened as she looked at how mercilessly her sister removed the cities. Ram looked back at her.

“These cities are cluttering up the house, sister. Someone has to get rid of them. If you don’t want to, I understand… you can leave it to me.  


Rem swallowed. She was used to her sister being a bit more… callous than her. And she did, after all, know better than her…


“S-sure. I’ll leave it to you.” 


Before Rem walked away from the kitchen, she saw the kettle, standing on the edge of her view. She figured she might as well make use of Ram’s offer, since she hadn’t had breakfast yet… and she started boiling some water.


 


While the water boiled, Ram brought a feather duster towards a shelf that had a particularly large amount of cities that had popped out from among the spice bottles. The feathers swept through structures like they were nothing, gathering them in the soft strands. All the rubble and people that hadn’t ended up stuck within the feathers was thrown down and onto a plastic dustpan, which Ram promptly emptied out the contents of into the trash can. 


As she closed the metal lid, millions of lives saw their sky darken, thrown out like mere trash and spread among used paper towels and empty cans which would become many people’s refuge until more trash was inevitably brought in…


 


A high pitched wheeze told Rem that her water was ready. She took a small white teacup out of a shelf, failing to notice the cities within the cup that blended in with the silver swirling patterns that decorated the teacup.


Used to the rites of her previous world, Rem unknowingly spared the cities within her cup from a scalding death as she instead poured the boiling water onto a small teapot, along with two teabags.

The cities were in a mortifying suspense for a good few minutes as the tea set: Not only were they in an endless white canyon, their entire world had been moved by an impossibly large blue-haired Goddess, then seemingly nothing happened for some time…


Until something approached them once more. A torrent of cold white liquid washed over the cities like a tsunami as Rem poured some milk on the cup. This was followed by a golden brown liquid that changed the temperature of the cup radically: Tea filled up the cup nearly to the brim. Former citizens were struggling to swim up as most debris sunk to the bottom of the cup. And despite some not making it, the surface of the tea was now riddled with people hanging onto floating debris or attempting to climb out of the cup.


But the titanic maid wasn’t done.

A crystalline cube descended onto the surface, quickly absorbing liquid (and some people with it) and sinking down periodically. A colossal spoon stirred the entire ocean, causing the cube to break down and dissipate.

Only then did the surviving few thousands get a bit of a break… as they made it back onto the surface, the teacup was placed on a plate and taken to the living room…


 


While Rem prepared her tea, Ram was retrieving from another room one of the fancy devices she never had the chance to see in her previous life: A vacuum cleaner. Plugging it into the socket that was usually reserved for the microwave, Ram eyed the many cities on the floor that were about to meet their fate. 

Feeling nothing for them, she turned on the machine. The noise was enough to make every city in the kitchen that wasn’t hidden away inside a cupboard feel like a jet engine was going off next to them. And as the machine drove over endless civilizations, millions of people were sucked into the machine, some shredded outright by the extreme speed while others simply passed out from extreme whiplash as endless metropolises were unceremoniously gathered inside the dirtbag.


 


As Rem sat down on the living room couch, she brought her face closer to the teacup. She always liked inhaling the subtle scent of the tea before drinking it... 


 


As she took a deep breath, an unlucky few people who had managed to cling onto the smooth, slippery interior of the cup found themselves incapable of resisting the sudden inhalation. 


They were sucked into Rem’s nose, some ending up trapped among her nose hairs while others would end up falling in further, stuck against the back of her tongue or the surface of her throat. They wouldn't stay there for long though, as Rem took a long, deep sip of tea. And with it, she sucked in thousands of people that were carried with the tea into the cavernous mouth. 


After taking a few seconds to enjoy the flavor of her tea, Rem swallowed, sealing the fate of the thousands of people in her mouth.


 


It took a few more minutes for Ram to finish the city cleanup in their apartment. However, the one part of the home that she couldn’t have cleaned, Bea and Emilia’s bedrooms, had their own share of cities within them that would endure whichever fate their respective new owners would force upon them, with whichever few cities that would get spared soon finding themselves being cleaned up by Ram like mere dust.


 


Rem and Ram obliterating cities to uphold their duty. Aqua and Megumin destroying civilizations according to their whims without taking them seriously. Tanya and Viktoriya sharing some moments of passion with the cities among them… A silver-haired figure observed the different actions that the different groups of girls took upon finding the shrunk down cities.

“Fufufu… this is going better than expected~. Perhaps we can move on to the next phase soon…”

Chapter End Notes:

Everyone in this story is 18 unless you live in the USA, in which they're 21.