- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Another in the little series the last chapter, was one of our more slice of life kind of size scenarios. Sophie and BD GM is Inwiththebooks, Maria is Asterisk.

BD (GM):

Night and day tended to blend together rather a lot for the city trapped within a box. Time was a thing that had slipped away after so many resets over time. Their sense of time had fallen far away from the normal sense of time. There were days when night would go on for days it seemed, the lights of the city the only illumination in the box. However there were times where every single day they were greeted by Her. Even after a year of being hers no one had caught her name. She never seemed overly concerned with introductions. She simply was Her. It had been an entire three days since last they were reset. In that time the Cult of Her had gained new members. It seemed every reset brought more. They were by no means a majority of the population, a tiny percentage really but they were growing. Many viewed it as a sad thing, those that broke after so many resets. They were often not shy in their faith either, not secretive or reclusive. She was the One That Brings the Light. Three days had passed since they had all died once again. Who knew what this day would bring? Only She knew. When one turned on the news there was a facade of normalcy, talking about crime rates, game shows, popular figures in the city. It was like they tried to avoid approaching the elephant in the room. Like people tried to forget what their existence really was.

 

Maria:Maria watched the news in her apartment with a bored look on her face. Despite the nature of their existence life in the city went on. People worked, exchanged money, got raises or demotions, hung out, and so on. It was frighteningly normal really. Though every time one looked outside or at the sky they were greeted with a reminder of their place. She was one who was in all of their thoughts whether they admitted it or not. Even while she watched unrelated news broadcasts, all Maria could ponder was when they would properly discuss Her. Maria's eyes flicked over to a little pamphlet on her coffee table. She is the One Who Saved Us From Our Miserable Lives! was emblazoned in bold text. It felt like every reset the Cult of Her grew larger. Now Maria ran into someone handing out flyers or preaching the good word about once every week or two. It was a sad state of affairs...but also a little bit scary. Because as time went on, Maria saw more and more people listening. Though she herself never bothered. However, she'd be lying if she said there wasn't a curiosity there.

 

Sophie:Today was a very special, or rather awkward day for Sophie. One that saw her out in the living room of her apartment after work. Drinking. Alone. Today was the day she turned 36. Sophie was 36 years old. That was 432 months. Which was 1,877 weeks. Which was 13,140 days. Sophie swished around the cheap can of beer in her hands as she sat, also watching a news broadcast. She was 36. What man wanted a single 36 year old school teacher? She watched as girls that were younger and prettier than her were paraded around on the news and took a long drink until she noticed the can was empty. As she reached for another she realized she had polished off the six pack already. Her cheeks were flush and she had a rather glazed quality about her eyes. she was quiet for a moment before letting out a scream into a pillow. "I'm old!" She whined, pounding her fist on the couch cushion. The brown haired woman drunkenly sobbed and bemoaned another year went by that she wasn't married, didn't have kids and was still making not nearly the amount of money as she'd have liked. She blew her nose loudly on a tissue and made her way, staggering to her room. The ground rumbled under the city as she tore open the door to the closet and grabbed the box roughly, making her way to the bed. She opened it up, spilling light down upon the city and blinding many. They were met with the sight of Sophie's drunken visage. She sniffled as she looked down at the city. "I'm an old hag!" She whined, sobbing and letting tears fall down on the city. "Oh God, what man wants to date a 36 year old? I'm nevah gonna get married!" She slurred.

 

Maria:DING From her kitchen Maria heard her toaster oven ring. "Ah." She hurried on over and pulled a little TV Dinner out, blowing softly. As she set it down on the table her eyes caught the flyer and, on a whim, Maria put her hands together. "Thank you She Who Provides for this meal. Amen." As soon as she'd said it the brunette felt silly and chuckled, but before she could properly dig in the ground shook ominously. Without warning their prison lurched back, a multitude of buildings groaning to stay upright with their foundation rocked. In Maria's case, her furniture had all shifted. Her TV fell from its mount and her food slammed into a nearby wall, Maria almost flying along with it. "W-What?!" She looked outside to see the blinding light and winced. Then she saw Her, as large and grand as ever; and...drunk. "Oh no..." She had vague memories of the last time she saw Her like this. A year ago, during a day that was remembered in infamy. Or as Sophie might remember it, her last birthday. From high above a few tears rained down and struck random parts of the city, each droplet the size of a small building. Maria could see a couple crash into buildings and collapse through their roofs to flood the interior in the salty liquid. "Please no..." Maria prayed under her breath.

 

Sophie:"Waaaaah! I'm old!" She cried, her tears peppering down upon the city below like bombshells. The streets were flooding with her tears. Her breath was thick with the pungent aroma of cheap beer and her sniffling was the only thing that kept a large drop of her snot from crashing down right on Maria's building. Here she was drinking alone on her birthday instead of having a husband cook her a nice dinner and sweep her off her feet. She sniffled again as she rubbed at her eyes with the back of her hands. She grabbed another tissue and blew her nose. Below the streets were flooded and soaked with people staring up in horror at the brown haired woman. She swallowed as she spoke. "Tell me I'm still young." She boomed, her mood switching like that. There was one thing everyone in the city had learned very harshly. Sophie was a very moody drunk. Her emotions flew entirely off the handle when she had some booze in her. Often to their detriment. Her fingers dug into the sides of the box and she lifted it up into her face filled their sky. "Tell me. I'm still. Young. Now! All of you little shits!" Sophie shouted, the sound shattering at the windows of buildings and her breath and the force of her voice overwhelming.

 

Maria:As pitiful as it was to watch a grown woman throw a tantrum on her birthday, it was even more pitiful just how damaging said tantrum was. Her tears were ushering in floods everywhere across the city and her breath gave the air an almost noxious quality that made it hard to breathe. While it wasn't exactly cataclysmic, there were a good few who perished in the crossfire and a great many more who were roughed up. With her last shout She had shattered all of the glass in the city and made it rain down anew. As well as force every single person in the city onto their knees. Though some already were for religious reasons. While clutching the wall near her broken window, Maria looked up and choked on her own dread. "Y-You're young! You're young! You're you--u-u-ung!" She screamed desperately, beginning to tear up partway through herself. All around the city people did the same. Hundreds of thousands of people telling Her exactly what She wanted to hear. In its own way, was that not a form of worship? Maria, alongside many others, screamed their hearts out in the vain hope it would somehow spare them from another Reset.

 

Sophie:Sophie held her ear to the box and strained to listen, eventually hearing a tiny squeaking chorus telling her she was young. Sophie's foul expression immediately turned into a beaming one. "Awww... thanks guys!" She sniffled slightly and wiped her nose, her tears drying up. "You know just what to say to a girl who is feeling down." Never mind she had basically forced them all to tell her that. She appeared to have been appeased from immediately ravaging the city at the least. She set the box down and blinked. "Hey! I've got a great idea. Wait right there." She said, standing from her bed and walking out of sight. Not that they had much choice but to stand there after all. When she returned it was with something odd in her hands. Candles. She grinned drunkenly as she lowered one down into the city. People screamed as the massive multicolored pillar crashed down. It was followed by another. And then another. And then another until sixteen of the things had speared the city. She fumbled around in a drawer and pulled out a lighter, which she then started to use to light the candles. The wicks ignited, wax starting to dribble down the sides of the candles soon enough and crash into the city around their bases. "Right! Everyone should sing me a happy birthday! C'mon, sing like you all mean it!" She said with a broad and drunken grin.

 

Maria:Each of the candles rose up into the sky like something out of a movie. Sixteen towers formed a ring in the heart of the city, their flaming tips radiating enough heat that the temperature very quickly rose to a hundred degrees. To say nothing of the wax that slowly began to ooze out into the streets. It was a very gradual thing with those closest forced to run from the incoming colorful ooze lest it swallow them whole. Those who weren't in danger however...began to sing. Not the joyous song of celebration a birthday deserved, but more like the panicked, uneasy singing one did when they had a gun to their head. Which She kinda did to be fair. It was almost like a hymn that permeated across the town as people of all walks of life joined together to sing. "Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday dear..." Maria's eyes widened. The name. Nobody knew it. "...Her...Happy Birthday to you..." Similar pauses happened everywhere with everyone getting tripped up at the same spot. Without any orders to stop though...The song repeated. Again. And again. Her seemed to be the name everyone went with, giving the song an almost surreal quality. From her window Maria saw the nearest candle's flame reach the point where it was starting to melt into an adjacent building. Not so much a fire as literally melting the structure's roof; and with wide eyes she saw the wax begin to hit her street. As well as a couple people who failed to escape in time and were trapped in the waist-high pool. Quite literally, as it hardened around them and rendered them stuck. Maria had no choice but to run while singing, and run she did.

 

Sophie:Sophie laughed drunkenly and clapped her hands at the end, barely able to make it out with even everyone singing to her. However she got the general gist of the hymn of them wishing her a happy birthday. "Awww... you guys are the best." She said as she watched the candles flicker and melt some of the buildings. "Oh right! I've got to blow them out!" She mused. She sucked in a deep breath, expanding her modest chest for a few moments before she blew into the box. Hurricane force winds ripped through the city as she blew on every candle, taking the flames out instantly and hardening the wax. Buildings were ripped from their foundations. Cars were sent spinning into other buildings that remained standing and people flew freely if exposed to the full force of the winds. It was a disaster of scales few could fathom as no one was untouched by her blowing out the candles. She laughed. "Still got a nice pair of lungs on me." She said as she plucked the candles out of the city one after the other and tossed them into the trash. "Thanks guys, I really needed that." She said, her flushed cheeks smiling happily down on everyone in the city. For a brief moment it almost made her look benevolent towards those that had survived the disaster. Her eyes widened the next moment. "Oh right, gotta eat the cake next." She mused as she picked up a spoon resting on her nightstand and hovered the metal over the wrecked city below. "Don't think I've eaten you guys before..." She seemed to hesitate, as though not sure if this was a good idea or not. However when drunk one didn't exactly make the best choices so she shrugged. "Oh well, gotta figure out sometime right?" She grinned as the tip of the spoon dug into part of the city.

 

Maria:It was hard not to feel like a monkey dancing for someone's amusement with all of this; though, at the very least She seemed to enjoy it. Perhaps enjoy it a bit too much even. Maria, as well as almost all others, gasped when She mentioned the candles again though. Her sucking in breath was enough to pull people and cars from the streets, some rising as high as a hundred feet before they all came crashing down. Then the winds that followed...Hurricane truly was the most accurate description. It was a cyclone of alcohol-scented wind that spiraled through the streets catching anything and everything, swirling it together, and plowing through the city streets. Right as Maria headed out of her home the blast caught her and smacked her into her neighbor's care; which, in itself was halfway into her neighbor's home. "ACK!" The painful crash forced fluid out of Maria's mouth as she fell over, alive but injured. Though the same could not be said for others. About half of the city's buildings were all toppled or destroyed and about as much of its population the same. Bloody corpses were splattered against fallen buildings or scattered in bizarre places everywhere. Not to mention now everything was disheveled and filthy. Nobody was in any state to even realize what She was doing until her spoon was already burying itself into the city's foundation. "S-She won't..." Maria gulped as her eyes saw the looming, miles-high wall of Her spoon. Depending on which way that thing was facing...It would either pick her up or the next district over. "Please Her...Please...Please!" In her craze, the poor girl was genuinely praying to Her for mercy, unaware she was even doing it.

 

Sophie:The prayers seemed to work in Maria's favor, for while the spoon had been facing her for a brief moment, Sophie seemed to decide that the other side looked more delicious. She spun it around and Maria was spared being picked up by the spoon. For now at least. Instead she got to feel the earth shake under her and watch as Sophie dug her spoon deep into the city before pulling up, taking up a chunk of it onto the spoon. Those trapped on the chunk could only watch as they were lifted out of the box for the first time in a year. They got a glimpse around and could see Sophie's room. Most however were focused on her rapidly approaching face. The spoon stopped right in front of her lips, her mouth closed for a brief moment before opening wide. It was like watching a gate to hell open before one. Long strands of saliva dripped down from the roof of her mouth and pooled on her tongue and teeth. Teeth bigger than the tallest of buildings. People screamed as they saw themselves being taken closer, the warm and humid breath causing many to gag. She brought her spoonful into her mouth and closed her lips around it in full view of everyone in the city. Sophie seemed to consider the taste. "Mmm... mhmm..." She mused before pulling the spoon out, empty. It was then that she started to chew, crunching away at the city between her molars and casting people into pools of unending saliva. She eventually swallowed her mouthful and smiled drunkenly. "Not half bad!" She said happily, her spoon descending down yet again, this time in a district away from Maria. She scooped up her next spoonful and this time she simply swallowed it whole, casting them down her throat and dooming those that survived the trip to dissolve in her stomach. "Thanks a lot guys, you are the best birthday cake I've had in years." She slurred.

 

Maria:For those trapped in Her spoon it was a new kind of Hell. The rapid rise in altitude made almost everyone collapse onto the ground. All of their ears popped and the pressure was such it became hard to breathe. Blood began to trickle from many noses and they all got a good look at their destination in the skies. It was only a mouth and yet the scale gave Her mouth an otherworldly, almost monstrous quality. The pooling saliva and massive, fleshy tongue looked nigh unrecognizable. Though it didn't matter because they were all brought inside, Her lips closing and smoothing out against the spoon like a pink bulldozer. What didn't immediately crumble all fell into a pool of saliva and was slushed around, going wherever She wanted as she chewed, savored, and ultimately swallowed. It was a painfully long process for all involved, leaving a few sole survivors like crumbs to slowly melt in Her gum lines. While from below Maria and so many others could only watch in awe. She...ate them. Like it didn't even matter. It was another death in a long list of them but this somehow felt...as though a line was crossed. Like they somehow had been degraded further in a way that couldn't be taken back. One after another Her spoon came for more morsels, swallowing people and buildings by the thousands. "Please...Please..." Maria had fallen to her knees and could only watch as it seemed like every other piece of the city was picked clean. Like She was somehow mocking her. The ripping winds and earth-rending quakes were never ending.

 

Sophie:Sophie picked away at the city. One by one chunks were devoured like the city was nothing but another meal for her. Until eventually, Maria's part of the city was the only thing left. She had eaten everything else. She patted her stomach. "Wew, guess I can manage one more bite." She grinned as the demonic spoon came in again. It shifted at the ground under Maria and her district of the city. Thousands screamed and cried as they too were lifted far into the heavens above. Sophie started moving them closer to her mouth before hesitating for some reason. Were they to be spared? Was she going to let them go? Sophie let out a tiny belch that blew at the city chunk on her spoon. She flushed and chuckled. "Excuse me! Must have been something I ate." She chuckled as she opened her mouth wide. She gave Maria the same view that so many others had seen. Only this time the horror was augmented by what had been left behind. Chunks of building melting in her mouth, people half melted screaming between her teeth or on her tongue and in the distance and eager pulsating throat waiting to drag them down into hell. The spoon passed by her lips and into her mouth, Sophie closing her lips around it before pulling her spoon back out and settling the chunk upon her tongue. The last bit of city was stranded like an island upon a pool of saliva below. At least there would be some mercy in a quick death from her teeth or from being crushed. At least that is what many hoped. Instead Sophie just craned her head back and daintily swallowed, pulling the fracturing chunk down her throat and with it everyone on it. Sophie patted her stomach with a grin. "Ah... you guys really hit the spot! Thanks for making this birthday pretty good actually." She said, unaware of the hell she had just sentenced a particular denizen of the city to.

 

Maria:"No! Nononononononononononononononono!" Maria just kept repeating the words to herself in terror. The ground under her feet rumbled and spiderwebbed out into fractures as the foundation was uplifted all at once into Her spoon. Up and up they went, experiencing the same agony of sudden displacement. Mario fell over and felt her ears pop painfully and an intense pain assault her face. It was through tearing eyes she looked to the sky and saw Hell. Her mouth was Hell. She was certain of it. It looked like the most terrifying thing in existence. A fleshy red prison where the water was acid and every moment was unending torment. From a distance she could make out just the faintest hints of the horrors within. For the best considering how graphic it was up close. As the city rather neatly slid onto Her tongue the giant's taste buds broke through the streets. Fleshy towers each larger than a person assaulted everyone and everything, savoring their taste and battering them in a carpet of fibers before She deigned to swallow. It was here where it all went black. The city traveled down Her throat where Her muscles pushed up and condensed the fragment of city even further, flattening half of the little chunk as the rest all fell. People flew off into the sky never to be seen again, but not Mario. Oh no. Her trajectory had her fly into a window of a neighboring building, the impact shattering a leg. She was in too much pain to be aware of anything. Her ears had popped so she was deaf and it was pitch black. However, she could smell. The air was acidic, burning any who breathed it in. Were Maria able to hear, she would've heard the bubbling of Her stomach acid, the city just one of many little islands that now floated in the sea of bile. Though "floated" was a bit inaccurate. Sinking was the better term; as little by little the ground of the city began to melt into the acid, slowly bringing it all down.

 

Sophie:Sophie stood up and stretched, going off to find herself another beer. Instead she ended up crashing on the couch, drool coming out from the corner of her mouth. Everyone in the city died gruesome deaths and it was the next morning when the hung over woman managed to notice the box was empty on her bed. She didn't remember much of what had happened last night but she remembered going to bed happy. Which did not normally happen on her birthdays. She snapped her fingers and once more the city found itself rebuilt. Sophie placed the box back into her closet again and held the lid over it. She waved her hand over it and everyone that had died returned to life exactly where they had been. Maria no doubt recalled being slowly dissolved alive in a sea of acid as she sat inside her home, staring at a TV where the news anchors similarly seemed to have been going through some trauma. They were back to life. Sophie grinned tiredly as she lowered the lid back on the shoebox and closed her closet. She pinched the bridge of her nose. She needed some coffee for this hangover and fast. She couldn't go into work crabby and hungover after all.

 

Maria:Maria's death was anything but fast. She sat within the second floor of a building crippled and unable to move, breathing in noxious air and weeping silently into a Hell that did not care. She looked out but even with her eyes strained as much as possible she could only barely see the world beyond. The thick acid ocean had begun to melt its way along the streets and ever so slowly work its way up. Though the concrete lasted a bit longer against the stomach acid. For over an hour the raging tides melted the landmass and let it sink down more and more, all the while Maria sat there in agony. "Just kill me...Please...Please..." She prayed to Her for the mercy of death, but it didn't come until at long last things had dissolved to the point the acid reached her. It was like the tides at a beach had come for her, washing in and out until finally...it hit Maria's foot. "Agh!" She winced at the immediate pain; though it didn't end there. Slowly, it rose higher and higher. Not melting her fast, but slowly. Burning the skin off of her good leg before hitting her other, then her waist and torso, until finally...death. Then the next moment Maria found herself back in her apartment. The news was going on like it was and her meal was still steaming hot in front of her. After taking one look at it the woman swatted it away in horror. "No!" It was only a moment later she realized it was just her food. Maria sat there panting and saw Her staring at the city through her window. After this latest Reset, she found herself dangerously close to adopting a new religion.