- Text Size +

This year is Ultraman's 50th anniversary and the director is planning a 'big' episode, literally. As you may have seen on TV, Ultraman is a 150ft tall Japanese Hero who fights Kaiju equally huge. The TV programme has always been shot in a 1/24 scale model city with buildings made up of styrofoam and cars made out of plastic model kits. The Ultraman and Kaiju characters are dressed up by ordinary Japanese men. The effects are convincing and is popular in Japan and even overseas. This time, however, the director is planning to have a special Ultraman episode where it will take place in a real-life city to take the realism to a new level.


The director came up with a few plans, including shooting in Singapore or Taiwan, where Japanese actors can play the role of Ultraman, and shooting in Japan, but actors from larger countries will be hired. After careful consideration, the director decided that since the Japanese actor would be on the equivalent scale of 1/500 in Singapore and 1/10 in Taiwan, is not faithful to the original Ultraman scale. It was also considered that given the strong Japanese Yen, it is relatively affordable to purchase a large area in Singapore for filming, but it is likely to have too detrimental an effect on the lives of the population in Singapore as the shooting would damage an incrediblely large part of the city. The director has hoped to use Japanese actors but unfortunately there are not that many countries smaller than Japan, and those that have the right scale, such as Jamaica at 1/34, have a completely different look to the city's skyline and would look out of place in an Ultraman series.


In the end, the director decided to hire a couple of actors from the USA and have the episode shot in Japan. The American actors would be perfect on the equivalent scale of 1/26. Since there is no need to show the actor's face as both Ultraman and Kauju characters are fully dressed up from head to feet, there is no need to hire real actors. Due to be filmed in August, the director has instead arranged to advertise the 'actors' as summer part-time jobs in a certain university on the West Coast of the USA. The director has chosen the university for no other reason than that he graduated from there. He spent a few years in USA pursuing a degree programme in movie production, which, despite being tiny, earned him a distinction upon his graduation. Other than being required to be overseas, the advertisement does not show much detail on the job, and therefore not many students applied. Despite this, two of the 18-year-old students in year 1 who are desperate for money have applied and been selected. Both of them had no idea what they had signed up for and were up for a pleasant surprise.


The director has purchased a large part of Ginza, right in the middle of Toyko's city centre, where there is an abundance of mid-rise buildings and Tokyo Tower clearly visible in the background, fitting the director's main reason for purchase—unmistakably Japan. The reason for not opting for areas with high-rise buildings are due to the settings of original ultraman, being at approximately 50m, although impressive, is only 15-20 storey tall. To demonstrate the power of Ultraman, the director has opt to not film it in Chiyoda City next to Ginza where 100m plus tall buildings are abundant. The purchase is not without difficulty. Firstly, the city council and some businesses in the area have protested, as the filming would undoubtedly cause billions and billions of yen worth of damage, and despite the director's promises that the damages would be reimbursed, it would take years to rebuild. Some other businesses and the general public, however, consider this a great advertisement for Japan and would boost tourism, not necessarily from larger countries, and the economy. To them, this film will show the world that Japan is still economically powerful like it was in the 80s and boost the countries' self-esteem, which, due to their smaller size compared to larger developed countries, is not very high.Despite many difficulties, an agreement was finally reached in June, just two months prior to the filming.


All is now ready for the big day, and it is the secretly macrophile director's greatest dream to finally be fulfilled.