- Text Size +

Being the Principal of Chestnut Boarding School was a very demanding job for Dave McLean. The government was constantly peering over his shoulders, waiting for something to go wrong. He had to ensure that male and female students and workers were all treated equally, although this was not a hundred percent possible. Today was going rather smoothly for him. No government official called him with a concern, no students were reported injured, and he made himself a particularly delightful cup of coffee this morning. As he was going over some paperwork, somebody knocked his door.

“Come in,” he said pleasantly. Mr. McLean was a middle aged man with a slight slouch that was starting to lose hair. The hair that remained was going gray from the stress he faced every day. His office was giant, designed so a giant girl could visit him with concerns. This meant his work space was extremely elevated from the ground, and it required him to climb up a lot of stairs to get to his desk. This kind of exercise would render him out of breath every morning. It was lucky that he had a female secretary to sometimes carry him up.

The door opened and in entered Matt Dexter, the only new sophomore student this year. He was carried in by the secretary, who placed Matt in front of Mr. McLean’s desk. She then left the room.

“You must be Matt,” the Principal smiled, “You look very tired. How is Chestnut going for you?”
“It’s a very interesting place,” Matt responded, sitting down across the Principal, “Yet again, this entire city is. It’s quite impressive how much the people have adapted to this size situation.”
“It’s been a rough couple years, but we’re always improving.”
“Then let me help you,” Matt said, and he pulled out a document of paper stapled together.

“What is this?” the Principal asked as Matt plumped the document on his desk.

“I’m here to report an incident,” Matt declared. Mr. McLean picked up the document and looked at it. He recognized the name ‘Daniel Porkingston’. He took a small yet slow breath.

“This is from two years ago Matt,” he said, putting down the document, “I don’t know how this is currently relevant.”
“You know why it’s relevant Mr. McLean,” Matt replied.

“I’m afraid I don’t,” the Principal quickly said as he pushed the document towards Matt, “Now if you will excuse me, I have a lot of work to do.” Sweat was dripping from his forehead.

“She is your daughter Mr. McLean,” Matt said, pushing the document back, “I don’t think anything in this document is a surprise to you.”

“I’m going to say this one more time. I’m a very busy man, too busy to deal with the happenings of two years ago. Please leave and go to your classes.” Matt sighed.

“Fine,” he said, standing up, “After all, I am your slave and you are my master.”

“What did you say?” Mr. McLean said, looking up at Matt.

“That I would leave?”

“Where did you hear that phrase?”
“So you recognize it,” Matt said, “What was it, the phrase you taught your daughter? Did you try to control your daughter her entire life, so much that she turned into a control freak?” The Principal did not respond.

“Is that why you are trying to hide the incident of Daniel Porkingston?” Matt continued, raising his voice, “Or anything concerned with the nearly illegal torture she puts people through? So it wouldn’t expose the fact that you are one terrible father?!” Matt intensely stared down Mr. McLean. Suddenly, the Principal started crying, much to Matt’s surprise.

“I’m sorry,” the Principal apologized, wiping his face with a tissue, “It’s just been really hard.”

“It…must have,” Matt replied, confused. He sat down again as the Principal blew his nose.

“The phrase,” the Principal said, “Is something my wife taught me to say. Something that makes her feel like she is in control, I suppose.”
“Your wife?” Matt asked, surprised.

“She’s the one that encourages Anna’s behavior. Tells her she has to be strong, and show everyone who’s in control, or she’ll never be worth it as a woman.”
“Wow.”
“I would stop her…but…”
“You can’t. You’re her slave.”
“They’re both giants, Matt. And I live with them. My life is already constricting enough as it is.”
“And that’s why you hide the incidents,” Matt nodded, understanding, “Under your master’s orders.”

“Emily is a ruthless woman. Even if we were the same size, she’ll still be a terrifying person. I’m starting to think I should run away from all this. Go to a place where they can’t find me. Find a woman my own size. Maybe even be…happy.”

“No Mr. McLean,” Matt shook his head, “You may be able to find a happy family, but imagine the world of hurt you will leave behind.”
“What do you mean?” Mr. McLean asked.

“Imagine if you ran away, and your wife, Emily, can’t find you. Now imagine if she decides to step in and become the Principal of this school herself.”
“Huh, I guess that would be a nightmare.”
“Exactly.”

“So what do you think I should do?”
“I need you to stay here and keep doing what you’re doing. And I need you to give me information on your daughter.”

“What?” the Principal questioned, “Why?”
“I’m going to take her down,” Matt explained, “You’d like to see that, wouldn’t you?”

“I mean, I guess I would…”
“Exactly. So I need you to tell me everything about her.” Mr. McLean sat in silence for a moment.
“I can’t,” he finally said.

“You can’t?” Matt questioned, “Why?”
“There are things I know about Anna that only I know about, being her father and all,” he explained, “If Anna or God forbid Emily found out you have the same knowledge, it would be easy to trace it back to me. And, as much as I’d like to help you, I can’t risk such a thing.” Matt sighed.

“I understand Mr. McLean,” he said, standing up.
“But,” the Principal added, “I know who you can talk to.”
“Do you?” Matt’s expression brightened.

“Three years ago, Anna’s homeroom teacher was a woman by the name of Lily Lopez. She is the type of teacher to open up to students of both genders. Perhaps she knows some things other teachers won’t, and would be willing to let you in on them.”

“Thank you Mr. McLean,” Matt smiled, “I appreciate it.”
“And you didn’t hear this from me,” the Principal said, “You thought to talk to her homeroom teacher all on your own.”
“Of course, let it be known that we never had this conversation. And remember Mr. McLean, you are nobody’s slave.”

“Dave,” the Principal said, “You can call me Dave.”
“That’s,” Matt replied, “Quite alright Mr. McLean.”

Chapter End Notes:

Let me know if you're enjoying the story so far. Thanks guys!