- Text Size +
One upon a time in Felarya, Travis's Field Study

...

Travis Green was excited, and seeing as he was an Inu, everyone could tell from his wagging brown wolf tail. The city was finally going to fund his expedition into the jungle to study sentient giant predators. Not only that, but they were sending a city mage with him who already had experience dealing with giant predators. Travis paced back and forth on the city wall waiting for the city mage to arrive, and in a flash of blue flame, she did.

"Mis Chaple, I assume, a pleasure to meet you!"

"I wish the feeling was mutual, Mr. Green, but I have a lot of work to do, and this is an unnecessary distraction."

"Aw yes, your interdimensional portal project, I have heard a lot about it from the grapevine. Is it true that you're from another wor-"

"As I said, Mr. Green, I have better things to do with my time than feeding field researchers to Nagas! Now, where is your team?"

"It's just me, I work better on my own, ready to depart when you are Mis Chaple." Candie then took Travis's hand and teleported with him into the jungle. Travis had never teleported before, so the five or six times they did to reach their destination was a fascinating experience to him. When they stopped, they were at the edge of a massive river, and Travis found that he could not stand up straight, falling on his ass.

"Oh right, I should have warned you about teleportation sickness, are you ok?"

"Just need to get my barrings, thank you. So how soon until we meet some of your predator friends?"

"Depends on her, Mr. Green." Travis was confused but did not ask a thing, just watching as Candie tapped the water with her staff. I did not take long for a predator to show up; Travis identified it right away as a river mermaid. Traves was excited again, for as talkative as river mermaids were no one really knew what their day to day lives were like.

"Candie darling, it's been too long, give us a kiss!" The river mermaid then picked up Candie and covered her whole head in a massive kiss, Travis looked on documenting the interaction.

"I have missed you to Jade, sorry to ask this of you, but would you mind babysitting this guy for me? He is a researcher, and the queen wants him to come back alive when he is done looking at everything." A sower face formed on Jade, Travis could tell that she did not much like the queen.

"Didn't she hold your lover hostage in a tower!? Why in the world would you want me to help out one of her goons!?"

"Penny was not a hostage; she just had the power to harm her if I had said no to recruiting the gange to help. And he is not her goon; he only begged her for money until she said yes." Travis did not much like the parasitic description Candie had given of him, but he just continued to write down everything he was seeing.

"Well, alright then, but if I don't like him, then I'm eating him."

"Sounds good to me, check back in with you in a month' Mr. Green." And with that, Candie teleported away, leaving Travis alone with Jade. He did not really like being threatened with death in such an off-handed way, but he was there to document what Jade and her friends did and said he did not have to like what it was they were saying.

"So, Mr. Green, was it? My name is Jade, and I can assure you that I will not harm you in any way you do not deserve."

"Nice to meet you, Jade, you can call me Travis. And don't worry, I am just here to write down everything you say and do, Just pretend I am not here and go about your day."

"Very well, Travis, but I think you will have to be placed in a safer place then the riverside for that." Jade then used her long frog-like tongue to pull Travis into her mouth, at first he thought that she was eating him, but she did not swallow. Frome the movement around him, Travis deduced that Jade was swimming off somewhere. As scared as he was about being eaten alive, Travis was fascinated by Jade's choice to carry him in her mouth rather than another form of transporting him. Travis soon found himself pressed to the roof of Jade's mouth; she was tasting him, even making noises that indicated that she loved how he tasted. Terror was starting to overpower his curiosity before Travis found himself spat out onto a tiny island in the middle of the river.

"There, a nice safe place, so nothing comes along and gobbles you up!"

"I-I Have so many questions! Why did you hold me in your mouth rather than carry me? Why did you taste me the whole way here? And what makes this spot safe?" Jade looked confused by all of Travis's questions, acting like the answers were obvious.

"Well, I held you in my mouth because it is easier to swim and carry you that way. I tasted you the whole way because you're a yummy little puppy. And this is the heart of my territory; other predators know to avoid this part of the river. Do you have any more questions, dear?" Travis soon bombarded Jade with many questions, most of which she was happy to answer, not only satisfying Travis's scientific curiosity, Jade's need to gossip.