- Text Size +
One upon a time in Felarya, Miko's Garden (Drama/Romance)

...

It was a time of great turmoil in Char, Miko was not blind to that, but it was easy for others in the noble circles to think things were better than they really were. After all, the city did better than most others did during the quake, and an invasion from Strom was just repelled with an almost comedic level of ease. But just because they did better than most did not mean they survived the calamity unscathed, much of the city's infrastructure was not yet rebuilt. It was leaving people homeless and hungry, Miko did her best to plead with her father-in-law to focus more resources on reconstruction efforts. But she did not have nearly enough sway with him, and she did understand the need for defending the city, but as far as she could tell, it was at the expense of feeding it. While Miko was walking back to her room from another failed debate with the city council, Miko could see her father walking up to intercept her. Lou Lung was no longer an emperor, but because of him marrying Miko to Sarnai, he was able to become the high-regent secant only to the king himself.

"I have nothing to say to you outside of the debate hall, high-regent."

"Miko please just listen to me for just a moment, I am trying to help you." Ever since her father sold her hand to Sarnai, Miko had made an effort to never speak to him unless absolutely necessary. But she was getting desperate, so she stopped walking and let him speak.

"There is a resin your voice is unfavorable one in court; it is no secret that you have refused the advances of your spouse. Sarnai is out there right now counter-attacking the invaders, if they die, then the kingdom is without an heir and doom the city to ruin.

"First of all, high-regent, you should not trust everything the rumor mill churns out! And secant, I should not have to be fat with child to be taken seriously in court!"

"Miko pleas, the king is talking about having Sarnai remarry. Do you have any idea what that could do to not only your family but to you?!"

"I have no family!" Miko stormed off tears of rage filling her eyes.

...

Miko was in her garden, a gift from Sarnai, they had one of the dueling rings converted into one after the wedding. Miko liked it well enough, Sarnai did their best to use plants that would remind Miko of her homeland. But she mostly just used it as an observatory, looking to the night sky and studying the movements of the heavens. Today, however, it was serving as her sanctuary, a place to hide and collect herself. Miko knew that the point of a royal marriage was to make heirs, she was not stupid, but the problem was Sarnai. Miko was more than willing to just get it over with, but Sarnai just did not seem to want to. Miko could see the war fleet returning, what once was the luxury yots of the noble cast now well-armed and armored instruments of war. Three of them were carrying a giant women's severed head, Miko knew that she should not think of the giants as people, but it was still unsettling to see. Miko did not bother to go down to the docks and greet Sarnai, she knew she should have, but she just did not feel like she could. It was a few hours later that Sarnai came to her; instead, Miko had to admit that the half-troll looked good in armor.

"Hello Miko, I just got back from the front, how have you been doing?"

"I am doing well; thank you."

"That is not what I heard."

"Then why the hell did you ask!?" Miko scowled at Sarnai, they did not deserve that, but Miko was so angry that she would have lashed out at anyone. Feeling bad that the first thing she did to her spouse when they just returned from war was to yell at them, Miko sat down on a bench facepalming.

"Sorry!"

"It's fine, Miko, please tell me what's wrong." Miko could feel that Sarnai sat down next to her; she looked up at them and seeing the concern in their big yellow eyes only made her feel worse for yelling.

"It's just that your father is focusing more on fighting his enemy than feeding his people, Char's infrastructure is in ruins. Half our trade partners were wiped out by ether the quake or predators taking advantage of the chaos. And the farms are entirely unsalvageable. What was not destroyed in the earthquake or trampled in the attack will not last us another month. But of course, the only thing the council cares about if whether or not you've knocked me up yet!" Miko was shacking in rage, wondering if she was the only one who even cared about the people, but she stopped shaking the moment she felt the hand of her larger spouse on her shoulder, pulling her in for a hug.

"The council are a bunch of fools; they can't see anything that does not get served to them on a silver platter! And my father has been pressuring me to make an heir to, but I know you still don't want that yet."

"We are noble-born Sarnai, what we want does not matter, whether or not I want your child or not does not matter, we have a duty t-." Miko was cut off by Sarnai braking their hug and pulling her up to her knees, making Miko at eye level with Sarnai. Sarnai was looking Miko in the eyes with an intensity she had never seen from them before, scaring Miko and making her fear what might come next.

"I never want to hear you say that what you want does not matter again, because it does matter, you matter! And if anyone ever tells you that you don't, I will personally tare them apart with my bare hands!" Miko was terrified by the rage her spouse was expressing to her, but at the same time, Miko felt really touched by how protective of her Sarnai had become in such a short amount of time. The expression or Sarnai's face changed from rage to horror, then to sadness. Setting Miko back down Sarnai turned away from her, looking ashamed at their outburst, this sturred something in Miko, something that made her want to comfort them.

"S-sorry for scaring you, I should go, have a nice da-."

"Wait!" Miko yelled as she moved back onto her knees, turned Sarnai around, and kissed them. Miko did not know why really, she just did it and just as quickly backed away from Sarnai.

"I'm so sorry, Sarnai, I should have asked, please forgiv-." Miko then felt one of Sarnai's hands around her waist, picking her up and bringing her in for a kiss. And Miko kissed back, grabbing Sarnai's head with both of her hands. Sarnai then moved her other hand to Miko's but, feeling her up as they carried her off to their bed-chambers. They were passing enough people on the way to silence any rumors of Miko holding out.