- Text Size +
One upon a time in Felarya, The Quake Part 2

...

Candie woke up on the floor with a hell of a hangover. She spent the night having a drinking contest with Penny, and she thought she wone but was not very sure. She did not see Penny anywhere, so she stumbled downstairs finding a basket of muffins with a note on top of it. Candie proceeded to stuff two of them down before she opened the letter.

"Dear Candie. I have headed out to do my job and will not be able to see you off back to your world; I hope you enjoy the muffins. Love Penny." Candie did just as the letter had instructed, stuffing her face with the muffins her lover made before she had to return to her own world. Then all of a sudden, the biggest earthquake Candie had ever seen started, Candie reflexively teleported out of the building before it collapsed on top of her. Candie did not like the view outside ether; the whole city was crumbling around her, even the gigantic trees of the jungle started falling over from the shock of the quake. Candie could see other witches and wizards doing their best to help people survive the earthquake, and Candie fell in rank with them. With the blue fire from her amber lantern empowering her magic, Candie was able to do far more good then most of the other spell casters. Shielding people from debris, stabilizing the ground of significantly large arias, Candie felt like a superhero with all she was doing to save the day. Eventually, the quaking stopped, but the chaos from it was far from over, Candie was about to move on to help someone else when she was waved down someone in a military uniform.

"Excuse me, miss, are you Candie Chaple?"

"Who wants to know?"

"I will take that as a yes; the queen has ordered you to come visit with her immediately."

"And what if I just told you to fuck off and went about my day?"

"Then, both you and miss Penny Gardener would be exiled from the city to die in the jungle." Candie then begrudgingly fallowed the military man to the castle at the center of the city. It was in much better shape than the rest of the city but not by much. Candie was then led into the throne room, and Candie had never seen anything tackier in her whole life, but she kept that to herself. Candie did not think much better of the queen ether, finding the older woman to be just as tacky and overdone as the rest of the castle.

"So this is the powerful mage from Earth I have heard so much about, somehow I expected someone older."

"Hold up! How did you know that I am from another world? It's not like I go around telling people about that, you know."

"There is nothing that goes on in my city that I don't know, like how a certain witch has been consorting with predators, some would call you a traitor to humankind for that you know."

"You didn't summon me to your throne room just to brand me a traitor, get to the point already." The queen's guards seemed to have taken offense to Candie's rud behavior as they all pointed their halberds at her ready to kill. The queen, on the other hand, looked very amused by all of this. With a wave of her hand, her guards went back to standby.

"You are a brave child. I'll give you that! The magic words that keep my city safe were destroyed in the quake, and it will take quite some time to replace them. I want to hire your friends to guard the city until new words can be set up; in exchange, I will empty my jails to feed them."

"I know of at least two who would take you up on that offer, but what do I get for being your middle woman?"

"After all the work my men reported seeing you do to help my people, I know you're not as cold-hearted as your pretending to be right now. But if you really need motivation, then I offer this, access to the city's mana well."

"That is more a reward for you than me, your majesty, but I will take it and deliver your message right away. But first, I will need to check on something."

"If you're worried about your lover, don't be, in my infinite mercy, I have allowed her and many others to stay in the spare rooms of my castle. She will be as safe as the rest of us, especially if you manage to convince your monster friends to help us." Candie stared daggers at the queen's smug face; she had Penny hostage the whole time to use against Candie if her offer was turned down. While Candie did admire such ruthlessness in women, she did not much enjoy such cunning used on her. Without another word, Candie teleported into the jungle with a burst of blue flame, frantically looking for Vitani or Dave. After hours of teleporting, Candie finally found all of her friends by the western river, enjoying a nice meal from what she could tell.

"Guy's, I hate to ask this, but I need your help!" The giant predators all jumped slightly as Candie teleported right in the middle of them, shocking Dave enough to make him choke on his mermaid for a moment.

"The fuck is wrong with you snack!? Can't you see we are busy!"

"Vitani! Can't you see that something has poor Candie all frazzled!? Now you go on and tell us what is troubling you, darling."

"The magical words around Shatira were destroyed in the quake; the queen is willing to feed you if you decide to help guard the city until they put up new ones."

"While I never turn down a good fight I am gonna have to say no, I can't leave Petra alone until we find her a new lair."

"Tell the queen to piss off I'm full."

"I, for one, would love to help dearest, but I am afraid that the city is a little too far from the water, sorry."

"Dave, Vitani, pleas she has Penny, and I don't know if she will hurt her if I come back empty-handed!" Candie screamed, sounding more desperate than she meant to, but the fear of losing Penny was enough to break down her usual sir of confidence.

"I will defend Shatira city for you, Candie." All eyes turned on Petra as she said that, she was usually one to avoid conflict due to her being very small for a predator."

"WHAT!? Did a rock hit your head? You could not win a fight with a thorn bush, let alone another predator!"

"While I would not be as blunt as Vitani, she's right noodle. I really don't think you could help Candie with this."

"Well, I am going anyway, if you two are so sure that I will get clobbered then maybe you should come and keep me safe." Petra gave Candie a wink; to her shame, Candie did not really think Petra would have been any help either. But seeing how far Petra was willing to go for her, reminded Candie just how much she meant to her big friend.

"Well, if Petra is going, then I have run out of excuses not to, count me in, Candie."

"Fine, but that queen better feed us as you said, or I will be the one the city needs saving from got me!?"

"Thank you, all of you, now let's get going!" Vitani picked up Candie in her mouth and took to the sky. Dave and Petra fallowed on the ground as Jade waved goodbye wishing her friends the luck they are going to need. For a city is an attractive target for any predator to pass up, They would have a hard time defending it.