- Text Size +

====================

Thursday, October 22

====================

     After taking Jessie to school on Wednesday, Marcus decided he wanted to surprise her again, so he texted her around 7:30 that evening, knowing she’d still be in the midst of her volleyball match. He had let her know that he’d be picking her up from her game, so she wouldn’t need to get a ride from anyone. About 15 minutes after he sent his text, his phone buzzed with a reply: “fr?? low key thank u so much cuz i dont like having to wait around for Sarah and her mom lmao.” A little selfish to be complaining about a free ride, he thought with a chuckle to himself. I bet it beats having to take the bus home. But he didn’t want to scold her; he knew that she was likely exhausted after another long day, so he couldn’t blame her for being candid about her juvenile emotions. 

     Knowing that Jessie’s reply signaled she was over with her game, he hopped in the car and drove over to the school to pick her up. The sun was starting to hide itself behind the trees as he watched the various kids with their parents leave the gym together. Even the youngest, smallest student here is still probably taller than me, the two-and-a-half foot tall man reasoned with himself. So he just sent his daughter a text to let her know that he was outside, hoping she’d simply meet him at the car. I don’t know if I’ll ever get used to being so small in public, he thought, watching the crowd start to thin. A few of the people even looked his way, and while they couldn’t see his full size or the modified seat he was sitting in, they could tell from how small his head and torso was that something was up. His condition was common enough in the world that most of the students (and all of the adults) knew about the basics of DSD, and were kind enough not to stare since he was technically disabled. But one of the kids gazed at him in marvel as she walked to his car with her family, before turning to tell her parents and ask how an adult could be so small. 

     Several minutes passed, and Jessie still hadn’t come out to the car yet, but Marcus was starting to feel the urge to leave. A second text hadn’t changed the situation, so he realized that he’d have to just go in and get her himself. She probably thinks I’m gonna come in to get her. Her volleyball shorts obviously don’t have any pockets, so maybe she put her phone in her gym bag or her backpack and didn’t get my texts. He reluctantly opened his car door and hopped out. But just as he walked around the front of the car, he looked up to see Jessie walking towards him, and both of their faces lit up into a smile at seeing each other. “I was beginning to think you wouldn’t come,” he said.

     “Sorry,” she blushed, “I just got your text, my phone was in my backpack.” Aha, so I was right. She squatted down to the ground, and Marcus hesitated as she opened her legs, but he shook aside his caution and stepped forward, wrapping her in as good of a hug as he could manage. She brought her legs together, trapping her dad between her big, toned thighs, still slightly slick with her volleyball game sweat.

     “Oh, uh — can you…” he stuttered as she wrapped her long arms around his tiny torso, cradling his body to hers. “You’re kinda sweaty,” he said, and she glanced down to her thighs that had held her father in place for their hug. 

     “Oh, sorry Daddy,” she apologized, standing back up and scratching her forehead in embarrassment, and hurried past him to get in the car. 

     He chuckled at how sensitive she could be sometimes, but then realized how sensitive he probably seemed as well. “It’s fine,” he said with a sigh, even though she couldn’t hear him, and got in the car with her. She squirmed in her seat as he started up the car, first arching her back, then hunching it over. He glanced at her a few times as they left on their way home. “You OK?” he asked, not wanting to take his eyes off the road, but curious what was up with her. 

     “Yeah, my back just kinda hurts,” she answered, cracking her neck as if that could make a difference. “I think I sprained it trying to dive for a ball.”

     “You dove for a ball?” he asked, admittedly impressed. Diving on a beach court was one thing, but on a wooden gym floor? He wasn’t sure if that was expected for girls her age to do at the level she was at, but he was proud of her nonetheless. “Well I can give you a back rub when we get home.”

     “Really?” she asked, a bright smile lighting up her face. She felt so thankful in that moment to have such a loving dad, who would just offer to help her out without her even asking.

     “Of course,” he said. “You’d do the same for me, right?”

     “I guess so,” she laughed. After all that he had done for her growing up, and especially the things he had continued to do for her after shrinking? She didn’t think there was anything she wouldn’t do for her dad.