- Text Size +

As soon as they left, John went up to his room to play video games and distract himself. He didn't want to imagine what it would be like if he shrunk and his sister got her hands on him. She wouldnt hurt him, at least not badly, but the amount of teasing and torture he would be unbearable. 


About an hour later he heard his mom come home and start making dinner. John started to imagine how his mom would act if he shrank. She would definitely be the preferred option over his sister, but she would probably just smother him with worry, and not let him have any freedom. 


His day dreaming was interrupted by his mother shouting for him to come down for dinner. Shaking his head to clear the thoughts of shrinking, he headed downstairs. 


Before sitting down to eat, he turned the TV onto a random TBS movie, a dinner custom in their household. While he ate his spaghetti and meatballs,  he turned his attention to the movie to distract him from shrinking thoughts. After a little bit he noticed his mother was making noises as she kept scratching herself. 


"What's wrong mom?" He asked.

"Just a bit itchy, must be allergies." She said with a grimace as she scratched her chest. 


Thinking nothing of it, he turned back to the movie and finished his meal. After cleaning his plate, he sat down to watch the rest while his mom went up to her room. He stayed there for a few hours, as one movie turned into another, until his sister came home and sat down next to him. Luckily, the movie that was currently on was Clueless, one of her favorites so she didn't bother him like usual. 


"Hey kids, can you turn off the TV so we can talk?" John heard his mom say from the bottom of the stairs. 


"Ugh, mom, its Clueless though! Can it wait?" His sister whined. Seeing the opportunity to score favorite child points, John turned off the TV, which received him a glare from his sister. 


"I have good news and bad news, the bad news, is that my chest seems to have grown, the good news is that it was only by a little bit, barely half a cup size" His mom said, looking at her son with concern. 


John's mouth dropped. He couldn't believe it. If his mom had it, there was no way that he wasn't already infected. All the thoughts from early rushed back into his head. He looked at his sister, and much to his surprise, she didn't look very happy. 


"Only half a cup? That means I won't grow much either, and John will probably be like a foot tall! That's too big!" She whined. 


John couldn't believe what he was hearing. She was actually upset that he wasn't going to shrink smaller? "Are you kidding me? Stop being such a selfish bitch"


"Hey! Language John, and don't talk like that Allison. Both of you go to your room and think about what this means for us, and that we need to stick together as a family. Itll be at least a day or two before you both start showing symptoms."


Allison glared at her brother and stomped off to her room. John turned to his mother and said, "What am I supposed to do now? My life is over."


His mom wrapped him up in her arms "Don't talk like that honey, everything is gonna be ok, the scientists will find a way to cure it, and everything will go back to normal. Just think of it as an adventure, like in that movie, the incredible shrinking man!"


"I guess so" he mumbled, not wanting to bring up how that movie ended. He stumbled up to his room and tried to fall asleep, with a thousand thoughts going through his head.