- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


Hanako-zilla
(Rated R)


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scene 1: The beginning
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The sun was setting in the distance. It was as typical a sunset as always. The moon fought to push away the clouds and take it's place in place of the sun. It was dinner hour for most.

Including Tetsuo Kishimoto, who was still full of energy after a long day's work. It always seemed like he had a strong work ethnic, almost always smiling and eager to please. He also had a soft spot for sushi rolls, which he was enjoying for dinner that night. But the moment he bit down.....

BRRIIIING! Tetsuo got up from the dinner table and answered the phone.

"Tetsuo, we need you here right now. This is a Code Blue." Click.

Tetsuo was a reporter for a major news station in Japan. And "Code Blue" meant there was an extremely important story for him to cover. So high of a priority that there was no time to even explain it on the phone. The kind of story that would gain the major ratings. And he was going to cover it! Despite his dinner being interrupted, he was still pleased. For all the time he was working at the Tokyo news station, he was finally going to get the big break he was waiting for.

He went back to the table, and put his rolls inside of the refridgerator to eat later.  He had no time to worry about his dinner now. He put on his shoes, coat, and sunglasses with such speed that it seemed like Tetsuo had practiced this many times before. Quickly fixing his short, black mop of hair, he was out the door a second later.

It was lucky for Tetsuo that he didn't get a speeding ticket, for he has completely broken the speed limit along the way, and even came close to a rear-end collision, from almost touching the bumper of the person in front of him. If the person in front of him had ever stopped......

The moment he reached the station, he went inside. Verified his ID. Quickly grabbed a paper. Just as quickly as he came in, he was gone. Off to the newsvan where the cameraman was waiting. He lounged out in the back, holding the paper like it was gold, and carefully read what he was to cover. It was like watching greased lightning to everyone who was in the station.

"Damn, that kid seems really excited," commented someone.

"Sightings of massive craters on the highway........road totally destroyed.......cars compressed like tin cans....." He couldn't believe what he was reading. Had there been an asteriod bombardment or something? Or maybe even worse, as his imagination went wild....

"Hang on, it's going to be a bumpy ride!" shouted the driver, as the newsvan streaked across the road like a silver bullet, strips of rubber being torn from the wheels.

"You know you're going to have to pay for them if you ruin the tires..." said Tetsuo, not looking up from the sheet of paper.
-------------------
They knew they had reached the place because the road before them dropped off. Just....dropped off. Like a cliff. Police had already reached the scene and were investigating this horrible scene. In the middle of the cratered road, there were several flat, metallic shapes. They looked like tin cans.

And then Tetsuo got a closer look, and saw the thin, puddles of gore that were oozing out from them. Only one of the occupants was actually visible....and he was compressed into an unrecognizable form. What could have been his face was twisted into a painful looking expression. His skin had been torn apart in several places from being stretched out so thin, and where his own bones had been forced through.

"Oh, God."

His face went pale. There was no way a meteor shower did this. An investigator came up to him.

"We don't have an exact count yet, but we estimate 6 to 12 people dead. It's really hard to tell though. Even if we can somehow get a look inside those, it would be hard to tell where one body starts and the other begins...." His voice was shaky. He was terrified too, and for good reason.

The cameraman was set up. There wasn't any time to ask questions. They were going live to him, and he had to be prepared.

"We're live in 4, 3, 2..."

"Here at Meshin Expressway, a scene of tragedy has occured. For reasons we can't explain, the earth and road are compacted into a large crater. Sadly, there are casualties. Any cars that were on the road at the time were also compacted, and anyone inside is....dead." He said, his face going pale for a moment. He was understandably shaken.

"The..."

"I saw it....I saw it!" Shouted someone, running towards the camera, which turned to face the witness. He was clearly injured and probably should have gone in the back of an ambulance. "I...I was driving...and then.......a gigantic black wall slammed into the road in front of me! I blacked out after that.....my car got flung away.....But something did this.......it's not here anymore....but something did this. Something BIG. It's certainly the end for us all, I'm telling you, it's the end for us all!"

He allowed the EMTs to help him into an ambulance, his face still red with emotion. Tetsuo once again was in a state of disbelief, as he turned to finish up.

"Uh...Channel 7 news will have more on this story when the information becomes clear. Back...back to you....."

"We're clear."

The moment he was off the air, he turned and dashed towards the gigantic crater.

"What could have caused this?" he said, and examined the crater carefully.

"Hey, you can't cross the police line!" shouted an officer.

"I'm not going in! Just let me look at this crater for a second...." Tetsuo said, pacing around it. The public had the right to know, and he was going to deliver. The officer made sure that he wasn't trying anything funny.

After a while, he looked into it..studying it. His fears were quickly confirmed. The crater was shaped exactly like...some foot, 60 feet long.

"What does this mean?" asked the cameraman.

"It means we're in deep shit."