- Text Size +

Chapter 2

By the time we arrive at the lab, we’ve already been briefed on how the experiment will play out.

“You see, I’ve already mastered how to increase and decrease the mass of an object,” my dad says en route to the complex.

“All too well, dad. All too well.”

In case anyone forgot, Mandy and I were actually shrunk to the size of insects thanks to my dad’s oversight when returning Adam back to normal size. That was four years ago though. My dad’s become much adept of an inventor. Besides, Mandy and I actually look back on that day pretty fondly. It’s where the beginnings of our relationship took place, in my little brother’s pocket alongside his super-sized toys.

“Well, the thing is, I’ve always only been able to change the entire mass of an object,” dad tells us as he wheels across Vegas. “But never just a certain portion of an object. Sterling Labs is always asking for new uses for my technologies, and they think there’s some money-making potential here.”

The public had grown paranoid about the capabilities of the technology Sterling created. You can’t blame them after what they went through in ’92. It’s not easy to cover up a giant rampaging toddler. So while many in the public have speculated as to the potential benefits and drawbacks of resizing technology, Sterling Labs has kept their latest innovations under wraps. At least from the public.

The military on the other hand, well they can see the clear uses of such technology. They’re the main reason why Sterling Labs has such a cutting-edge new campus on the outskirts of the city. The place is enormous, and even features the largest hangar in the country at nearly 200 feet tall. People have taken to calling the place the new Area 51, and for good reason. Not every military contractor like Sterling has digs like this.

As we approach the facility, my dad finally gets to the point.

“The military has prevented us from profiting off of our technology, seeing as the commercial potential is pretty limited. I mean, we’re not comfortable putting these devices in the hands of just anybody. I can’t fault the generals. But here’s where my latest gadget comes in… Cosmetic surgery. Think about it. A growth/shrink ray that can target a specific part of a being’s anatomy. Do you know where I’m going with us?”

“I believe I do,” Mandy answers with a raised eyebrow. 

“I just want to make it clear this was not my idea for the device. It was the higher ups at the company who came up with the idea on what to use it for… Basically, breast augmentation.”

“That’s what your device is for!” Mandy and I look at each other incredulously.

“Among other things, yes. It’s not my preference but I do see the money to be made from such a purpose. It’ll completely revolutionize cosmetic surgery. No more silicone implants or going under the knife. Just a quick, yet concentrated burst from the ray will do the trick.”

“I like the sound of that,” I say.

“Don’t get any ideas,” Mandy says crossing her arms across her chest. “I happen to like my body the way it is.” My girlfriend is stunning, don’t get me wrong, but I could still stand seeing those C cups upgraded to Ds.

“Today though, we’re just here to give it a try on a living subject for the first time,” dad says. “That being the chihuahua.”

“You’re going to give the chihuahua bigger boobs?” I ask as we drive through the security gate to enter the campus. Mandy, unamused, punches me in the arm. I thought it was funny.

“We’re giving the pooch bigger ears. Because what would look funnier than a chihuahua with enormous ears? Now that part was my idea.”

Well, if this is how we’re going to spend our Saturday, it’s better than sitting at home all day watching Friends or Seinfeld reruns.

My dad, Mandy and I are practically the only souls in the building that houses my dad’s personal lab. We walk into the sterile, white space that contains gadgets whose purposes I couldn’t even begin to imagine. In the corner is a pen where a chihuahua is napping next to her bowls of kibble and water.

“I adopted her last week from the animal shelter,” dad says. “I’m calling her Marie, after Marie Curie.”

“Aww, she’s so sweet,” Mandy squeals.

Mandy cradles Marie in her arms as my dad directs us to a smaller test room off to the side of his larger research space. Inside is a ray much like the one that blew up my brother, only a little more sophisticated looking. At the opposite end of the room is a table with a small seat on top with restraints.

“Put the dog in there, Mandy,” my dad tells her. “I’ll secure Marie in her seat and then we can get rolling.”

My dad and I walk back into the adjoining control room where we’ll watch from a monitor. Mandy hesitates to leave the dog behind, assuring Marie she’ll come out no worse for wear, only with bunny ears maybe. 

As Mandy walks back to join us in the control room, she panics. She looks down and notices her brand-new cellular phone is missing from her hip. She’d clipped it there earlier. Her parents had just gifted to her at the start of the summer. She couldn’t misplace an expensive item like that. Suddenly, she spots it on the table next to Marie. 

She rushes back to retrieve her phone, only my dad and I have no idea Mandy is still in there. I’d sworn she followed me inside. She was nowhere to be seen on the TV monitor, which was focused too tightly on the dog to notice Mandy right beside her. The ray kicks on and emits a bright blast of light before Mandy has a chance to move. She worries at first that she was caught in the blast, but she assures herself she was far enough away that she was surely safe from harm. Besides, the ray was concentrated on the dog’s ears, not her.

Mandy rushes back to the doorway to meet us as we turn around to check on the results. She’s too embarrassed to admit she’d gotten caught in the room when the ray went off. It was such a dumb thing to do, and she feared Wayne could lose his job for being a bit lax on the safety protocols.

“Mandy, I see you’re anxious to get out there and see how our little chihuahua friend fared,” my dad says.

“Uhh, yep I can’t wait to find out,” she says sheepishly. We’re none the wiser.

Unfortunately for us, the experiment appears to be a failure. Little Marie’s ears are the exact same size as they were a moment before.

“Well, looks like you’ve got a kink to work out there, dad,” I tell him.

Mandy suddenly feels relieved. The ray didn’t work anyway. She has her phone and all is right.

The trio returns home to the Szalinski house, their Saturday morning apparently ending uneventfully. That would soon change.