- Text Size +
Story Notes:

The following story is an imagined sequel to the 1992 movie Honey, I Blew Up the Kid and takes place approximately four years after the events of that film. If you’re reading this, there’s a good chance you’re already familiar with the plot. If not, it might help to at least read a synopsis.

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter 1

Date: July 17, 1996

These are good times for the Szalinski family. I’m the middle child, Nick, by the way. Business is booming for my dad, Wayne, and his company, Sterling Labs. In the four years since that little incident with my younger brother, Adam, my dad has mastered the shrink and growth ray technology that he’s spent years trying to perfect. The result has led to increased funding for his projects as his reputation within the company has progressed from mad scientist to at least mad genius. Let’s just say there haven’t been as many mishaps with his gadgets lately.

As for me, I’m home from my first year of college. And I’m proud to say that my relationship with Mandy is back on track. Though we’d grown apart over the last year with us headed in opposite directions and going to different schools (something Mandy had foreseen and forced us to break up prior to the fall semester), we’ve patched things up since coming back home to Las Vegas for the summer. Nothing could keep us apart for long. 

I couldn’t stop thinking about her all year long, and who could blame me. She’s become a complete knockout. Even more so than when I’d last seen her a year ago. That silky brunette hair, gorgeous eyes and shapely figure… Where can I begin. 

Anyway, I just hope she thinks as highly of me. I don’t exactly believe I’m on her level, to be honest. I may have grown to a nice 6-foot stature, but there’s not much else about me that’s worth writing home about. Part of me has always thought that was the real reason for her breaking up with me, but I’m glad to see she still has feelings for me.

This story begins with Mandy and I spending a lazy Saturday morning lounging around my living room. My mom was out of town, per usual, visiting my sister up in Seattle. Adam, now six years old, was staying with our grandparents for the weekend (Mom still doesn’t quite trust my dad with Adam after what happened last time).

My dad walks into the room wearing one of his kooky inventor hats (old habits die hard).

“You two seem to be having a thrilling time,” said my dad, sensing some boredom had crept into Mandy and I’s weekend. We never really made much in terms of plans anyway. Mandy was cool about just going with the flow, but today did seem slower than usual.

“How about I take you kids into my office again, just like old times,” my dad says. “I’m doing a test that you might find intriguing. It involves a dog.”

“Oh no, dad. Just leave the poor dog alone. Is that even humane?”

“Of course, it’s humane. He won’t get hurt anyway. I promise.”

“What kind of dog?” Mandy asks.

“A chihuahua.”

“You picked the smallest dog you could find? I don’t like where this is going,” I tell him.

“Trust me. The dog will be fine and will come out just as adorable as it went in. I’ll tell you more in the car. So how about it?”

“I want to make sure this dog stays in one piece,” Mandy says.

“Looks like we’re visiting Sterling Labs,” I say.