- Text Size +
It had been nearly two weeks since Nick had moved out of the couples’ apartment, and neither party had spoken to the other since the separation. Nick had long since traded his cushy hotel room for a sensible, yet comfortable motel with a modest weekly rate.
It was Friday, and Nick came back to his room after a long day at work, ready for the weekend at last. He’d already stopped on the way home to pick up a quick bite for dinner, and hastily locked the chain and deadbolt on the motel room door, sealing himself within, making sure he wasn’t disturbed. That night, Nick performed the same routine just like he’d done every other night for the past two week: Scarf down his dinner while watching some TV, turn off said TV along with the overhead lights, strip down completely naked, clear off and sit cross-legged on the bed, and then, begin to meditate, shrinking himself down to around 1 inch tall, where he’d spend the rest of the night focusing intensely on re-expanding himself.
Unfortunately, every night for the past two weeks had yielded the same, disheartening results: no matter how hard he concentrated, or how much he willed his body to grow on command, his tiny figure remained small, and he’d have to wait, bored out of his mind, until his body re-expanded on its own. Most of the time, though, after hours of dedication, Nick would simply give up at the end of the night, tucking his tiny body under the covers on the now colossal, motel-room pillow, and fall asleep, waiting for his figure to re-expand overnight.
The upcoming weekend, however, offered an extended opportunity to practice and concentrate without having to go to work the next couple of days, and Nick was eager to get started. The sooner he learned to control his power, the sooner he could go home to his wife. Tonight, he would do his best to set aside his frustrations, focusing on his mental exercises, and forcing his body to obey his will.
Nick gently patted and rubbed himself down, warming up his muscles for his nightly attempt.
“Alright,” he said to himself, sitting cross-legged in the middle of the bed, “Come on, Nick. You can do this. Just focus and don’t let anything distract you.”
Nick cleared his mind, took a deep breath, closed his eyes, and began his nightly shrinkage. Slowly, his body dwindled down to about one-inch tall. Once he was as small as he wanted to be, he stood up and walked off some of his lingering frustrations, psyching himself up for the main event. His eyes fell upon the distant hue of red, digital numbers on the alarm clock sitting on the nightstand next to the bed.
7:34
Nick nodded assuredly, facing the TV on the far side of the darkened room as he sat back down in his meditation pose, took several deep breaths, and began concentrating...
....Focus, Nick....Calm yourself....relax....breathe....grow...
Nick slowly opened his eyes...
...He was still only an inch tall.
Ugh! He thought frustratedly. What was he doing wrong? Why was re-expanding not coming as easily as SHRINKING?! Was there simply no way for him to re-expand other than naturally?! Did his brain somehow just unconsciously KNOW that the strain would be too much for his tiny body to handle, thus not allowing it?
“Come on, Nick,” he sighed loudly, rubbing his hands over his face and through his hair. “Get a grip! Don’t get frustrated! Remember how little progress you made learning to shrink yourself when you got frustrated?!”
Nick took several deep breaths to center himself, and closed his eyes to relax.
“Now!” he said with determination. “Focus!....Breathe....Relax...”
It took Nick a few minutes to find his center again, but his heart rate finally slowed, and his body relaxed. He cleared his mind of all doubt. He wasn’t going to struggle, or get frustrated; he wasn’t going to force it or strain himself; he was just going to relax and let go.
Silently he meditated, eyes closed....perfectly relaxed....perfectly centered...
Just let go...

Nick awoke in a daze, a queer feeling having washed over him. He opened his eyes, giving them a moment to adjust to the darkness before peering around the room. Things seemed different—not as large as before. He checked himself over hurriedly...
He had definitely grown; he was several inches tall now!
Nick snapped his head around to the alarm clock to see what time it was...
7:42
Nick was in utter disbelief! It couldn’t be a coincidence; he’d never naturally expanded THAT quickly before. It had finally worked! He had re-expanded himself on command! He trembled with excitement, cracking a huge smile...
“Calm down, Nick,” he said to himself. “Don’t get overexcited!”
Nick feared the sudden growth spurt may have just been a fluke. He quickly re-centered himself, closed his eyes, and focused again, hoping he could repeat the results. He released all his tension, letting everything just come naturally.
Nick felt a sudden surge within him. He localized and focused on that feeling, keeping on it until it dissipated...
When he opened his eyes again, Nick discovered that the gargantuan comforter he’d been sitting on wasn’t so gargantuan anymore. He was at least 2 feet tall now, maybe more. He could barely contain his excitement, immediately closing his eyes again and focusing on the height he wanted to be.
6-foot tall, he thought to himself. 6 feet tall.
A few minutes later, and Nick was rejoicing! In less than half an hour, he’d managed to go from only and inch tall to his normal, 6-foot frame. There was no way it was natural.
Nick has done it! He’d gained control over his power, but he wasn’t through yet. He couldn’t afford to take any chances. He HAD to make sure he could consistently repeat the process, and ensure he could always re-expand himself no matter the environment.
Nonetheless, his efforts had yielded success. After just two weeks of practice and mental commitment, he’d finally taken full control of his power!
To prepare himself for his next attempt, Nick planned to take in another TV show and recover a bit, but this time, he’d leave the TV on, allowing himself to practice tuning out his environment while shrinking and unshrinking. With distractions, it would certainly be far more difficult to focus, but during the real thing, when it really mattered, especially after Cassie being on the verge of literally squashing him last time—and might again if there were any more incidents—there’d be plenty of things that could disrupt him....an absolutely no room for error!
Nick planned on taking the rest of the night, and at least the next morning, to hone his skills, but if all went according to plan, maybe, just maybe, he could call Cassie the next afternoon and tell her the good news....if she’d hear him out, that is.
Nick was a man on mission. He’d come too far to give up. He was going to take his life back!

——————————————————————————————————————

“So, how are you holding up?” Jenny asked with a sigh, taking a swig from her wine cooler.
“Actually, I’m doing much better,” Cassie replied, re-positioning herself on her couch. “I haven’t felt this relaxed in along time.”
“Good,” Jenny commented, though somewhat half-heartedly, “I’m glad things are going well for you.”
Cassie and Jenny were once again spending a Saturday afternoon together chatting away, and were enjoying each others company as they relaxed on Cassie’s couch, sipping on a six pack of wine coolers. Jenny had come over to Cassie’s apartment several days over the past couple of weeks, hoping to cheer up her friend, and perhaps even help to patch things up between the quarreling lovers in the process.
“Have...have you spoken to Nick at all?” Jenny asked, stammering.
“Nope!” Cassie replied abruptly, sighing. “Not since you and I went out a couple weeks ago.”
“Has he even tried to call?”
“Nope, and I haven’t got any messages from him either, but you know what? I’m actually kind of glad. He needs to be on his own for a while.”
“But...but aren’t you even the least bit worried about him?” Jenny asked concernedly, “I mean, especially with…you know…his...”
Jenny pinched the index finger and thumb of her right hand together, indicating something small.
“I kicked him out so I wouldn’t HAVE to worry about it, Jen,” Cassie interrupted. “That’s the whole point. He’s not my problem anymore.”
Ordinarily, Cassie never would’ve told ANYONE about Nick’s fetish, especially since it involved her, but Jenny had kept pushing her to admit what was going on during their night out a couple weeks ago, and such an admission was not only a HUGE weight off Cassie’s shoulders in having someone to confide in, it had actually allowed the two young women to bond even more closely. Cassie and Jenny has become best friends—the kind of friends who could talk about such things, even if they were EXTREMELY personal.
Jenny, as expected, had no idea what to think about the situation, and initially thought that Cassie was just pulling her leg is some veiled attempt to conceal the truth; once she realized that Cassie was being completely serious, however, Jenny was at a complete loss for words. She honestly didn’t know what to think, but once she was finally able to wrap her head around the whole situation, she’d not only grown concerned with for Cassie’s well-being, but for Nick’s as well.
“But what if he accidentally, you know, shrinks himself again?” Jenny queried. “Who KNOWS what kind of trouble he could get into?!”
“Again,” Cassie repeated herself. “that’s the POINT! There’s ALWAYS trouble. Granted, I’ll admit, a couple times, it was my own fault for not paying closer attention while he was small, but towards the end, it was getting to the point where I couldn’t even walk around the apartment without having to worry about accidentally STEPPING on him! Can you even wrap your head around how STRESSFUL that was for me?! Believe it or not, Jen, this is best for EVERYONE, INCLUDING Nick! Now, he can isolate himself, and take the time he needs to figure it out....and believe me, there’s a LOT of things he needs to figure out!”
“And....once he....’figures things out’, then what?” Jenny asked inquisitively.
“I don’t know,” Cassie sighed, leaning back against the armrest of the couch. “We’ll just have to wait and see how things go.”
Cassie took another sip of her wine cooler as Jenny let out a sigh of her own, wondering herself how Nick was doing.

It was practically perfect! Nick had been practicing shrinking and enlarging himself all the previous night long, and into the afternoon that Saturday. He was still in utter disbelief! Just as easily as he could shrink himself, he could now grow himself on command as well. He trembled with joy, so excited that he’d now truly mastered his power. He felt like a superhero, a real, honest-to-God superhero, like Ant-man®a039; or the Atom®a039;.
With newfound energy, Nick practically jumped across the bed, landing on the edge next to the nightstand where his phone was currently charging. He hastily scrolled through the contacts for Cassie’s name, about to call and tell her the good news...
...Nick hesitated, frozen in place. He and Cassie hadn’t spoken since she’d kicked him out two weeks prior. Until now, he hadn’t been able to muster the courage nor the temperament to even TEXT her. Would she even be willing to hear him out, willing to give him one more chance? What would even say? Should he just blurt out that he’d mastered his powers, only to have her resent him for even bringing it up. Then again, the whole reason she kicked him out in the first place was BECAUSE he couldn’t control it. Now that he could, she was sure to let him come back home.
Nick stifled his excitement. He would to keep himself reserved; he had to play things cool. Nick bit his lower lip, staring at Cassie’s name in his contact list. Then, just like he would as if he were about to use his power, Nick closed eyes, took several deep breaths, and centered himself. This phone call would be the most important and difficult phone call of his entire life. It had to be perfect. One wrong word and his marriage would be finished!

The awkward silence between the two girls was broken by the loud buzzing of Cassie’s phone vibrating on the end table behind her next to the couch. Cassie strained to reach behind her back and retrieve her phone, bringing it around to her front to check the caller ID...
...It was Nick.
Cassie sighed with discontent, setting her phone facedown on the armrest of the couch.
“What?” Jenny inquired with confusion. “Aren’t you gonna—?”
Jenny’s voice trailed off; the realization of who was calling hit her like a ton of bricks.
“It’s Nick, isn’t it?” She asked Cassie, shooting her a look of disapproval.
Cassie didn’t respond, only averting her gaze and taking another sip of her wine cooler.
“Aren’t you even going to answer it?!” Jenny asked anxiously.
“Nope,” Cassie replied bluntly, moving the phone from the arm of the couch back onto the table.
“Come on, Cass,” Jenny urged her, moving closer. “You’ve gotta at least TALK to him.”
“No, I don’t,” Cassie objected, her hand outstretched. “I just....I don’t wanna talk to him right now.”
Before Cassie or Jenny could say anything else, the phone’s vibrating stopped.

Nick’s heart sank when he heard Cassie‘s voicemail message.
“Maybe she doesn’t have her phone with her,” he reasoned, trying to reassure himself and stay positive, “or maybe she’s in the shower or something.”
Unfortunately, Nick figured the REAL reason Cassie’s phone went to voicemail was that she simply refused to answer it. Although, if she didn’t want to answer her phone, why did it take so long to reach her voicemail? Wouldn’t she have simply declined the call as soon as she saw it was HIM calling?
“Maybe there’s still hope,” Nick reassured himself, turning on the TV. He’d give Cassie five or ten minutes to finish whatever she was doing, and to put himself into the right mindset, before he called again.

“You know, you’re gonna have to talk to him at some point,” Jenny pointed out persuasively. “What’re you gonna do, just ignore him for the rest of your life?”
“Jenny, I’m really not in the mood.”
“Look, there’s no harm in just LISTENING to what he has to say,” Jenny reasoned. “And besides, even if you two are gonna stay separated for a bit, you’re gonna have to, at least, TELL him that.”
“Yeah, maybe,” Cassie replied reluctantly, “but I’m just not in the mood to talk to him, at least not right now. I just...I don’t wanna have to discuss things with him.”
“Cassie, you can’t hold a grudge forever. And you’re not gonna solve ANYTHING between the two of you if you don’t at least try. Ok, I get it, Nick’s whole ‘shrinking’ thing has got you...’flustered’...”
Cassie shot Jenny a dubious look, as if Jenny had understated things on purpose.
“OK,” Jenny shrugged, “maybe ‘flustered’ wasn’t exactly the right word, but you told me yourself he couldn’t control it. Look, I know it’s not exactly a normal situation—OK, it’s in NO way a normal situation—but couldn’t you just cut Nick a LITTLE slack? I’m sure he had no idea it was gonna get so out of hand.”
“To be honest, Jen, he should’ve thought about that BEFORE he started this whole ‘shrinking’ thing,” Cassie said reservedly, trying to withhold her emotions. “He should’ve known that something like this would be dangerous, he should’ve been more careful, and he should’ve known that there could be real consequences if he wasn’t.”
“I’m sure he wasn’t trying to make things difficult for you,” Jenny said, scooting closer, putting her arm around Cassie’s shoulder, “and I’m sure, despite obviously doing it for his OWN enjoyment, that he wanted you to enjoy it, too. Yes, obviously, things got out of hand, but couldn’t you, at least, just give him a chance to explain himself and make things right?”
Cassie looked away for a moment, tears welling up in her eyes.
“He’s not gonna just go away,” Jenny continued.
“I’m just not sure I can do it right now,” Cassie sobbed.
“Well, would you like ME to talk to him first,” Jenny offered, “see what he wants? At least, take a message, or something. I promise, I won’t interfere beyond that.”
“Oh, Jen, I don’t know...” Cassie sighed.
Cassie’s phone suddenly vibrated again. Cassie bit her lip, thinking long and hard about what she wanted to do.
Jenny, however, swiftly reached her arm across and quickly snatched the phone of the end table.
“Jen, NO!” Cassie protested, trying to grab Jenny’s arm, but Jenny was already in the act of standing up and moving away from the couch. Cassie quickly pursued, nearly tripping over the ottoman in the process.
“Jen, stop! Don’t—“
Jenny had already answered the call, keeping her friend at arm’s length as she placed the phone to her left ear.
“Hello?”
“Uh—“ Nick uttered, surprised to hear a somewhat unfamiliar voice on the other end of the line. “Uh, Cassie?”
“Um, Cassie’s not available right now, Nick. This is Jenny. Your neighbor? We met a couple of times before.”
“Uh, yeah, I remember you, Jenny. Um, is Cassie gonna be back soon? I-I really need to talk to her.”
Jenny shot Cassie a look, pushing the phone towards her. Cassie, however, waved it off, shaking her head as quietly as possible.
“You know, she just stepped out for a minute,” Jenny lied. “Um, do you want me to give her a message, or something?”
“Oh, well, I kind of wanted to talk to her and give her some....personal news,” Nick replied hesitantly, “but I can try again later.”
Jenny looked at Cassie again; then, made a bold move.
“You know what?” Jenny ejaculated. “She just came back in. Hold on a second.”
Cassie’s eyes went wide, she frantically waved her arms and shook her head as Jenny put her hand over the mouthpiece, pushing the phone towards Cassie’s face.
“No!” Cassie whispered harshly.
“Just give him a chance!” Jenny urged, pushing the phone further towards Cassie.
Cassie sighed, grit her teeth, and squinted her eyes as she gently retrieved her phone from Jenny’s grasp.
“H-hello?”
“Hey. How are you?” Nick asked anxiously.
“Oh, I’m doin’ fine,” Cassie replied, sighing. “What’s up?”
“Cass,” Nick began, “uh, look, I know we haven’t spoken for a couple weeks, but I wanted to, um, tell you some news....you know, give you an update on what’s been going on.”
“Yes, AND...?!” Cassie replied impatiently.
“...Look, actually...Could I just come over and talk to you in person?” Nick blurted out. “I-It’s a little hard to say over the phone.”
“Nick, how’s not really the best time,” Cassie sighed.
“Come on, Cass,” Nick pleaded. “I’m not asking you to take me back. I just wanna sit down with you and discuss things face-to-face: no judgment, no condescension, no pleading. I just wanna try to work things out.
Cassie sighed again and scratched the back of her head, trying to come up with some good excuse for Nick NOT to come back to the apartment.
“Nick, look,” Cassie explained, “obviously, we have some things we need to talk about, but I’m not sure if I’m up for it right now.”
“Cassie, I know there’s a big rift between us, and I know there’s some things that you don’t wanna talk about right now, but I need to know...well, where exactly we stand: Am I gonna be able to come home soon, or do I need to look for another apartment? I just wanna...”
Nick sighed, trying to find the right words.
“I just don’t want to live in limbo anymore. Maybe we can’t patch things up right now, but I want to, at least, sit down and plan out where we go from here.”
Cassie looked over at Jenny, whose eyes were practically pleading for her to let Nick come home.
“Alright, but not right now,” Cassie relented. “Why don’t you come over first thing in the morning, and....we can hammer some things out?”
“Yes,” Nick nodded excitedly, “absolutely. That’d be great!”
“Just don’t read too much into this, OK? There’s a lot of stuff we’re gonna have to work through before I can even BEGIN to forgive you.”
“I understand. Thanks sweetie.”
“OK,” Cassie said, not returning the sentiment. “We’ll talk tomorrow, alright?”
“Alright...I love you.”
“....I love you, too,” Cassie replied hesitantly.
“See you tomorrow.”
“OK. Bye.”
“Bye,” Nick said, ending the call. His arms fell into his lap. He sat motionless in deep thought, breathing deeply. He hadn’t even told her that he’d learned to control his power.
“I think it’s best to just start slow,” he said aloud.
Nick lay down and turned on the TV, trying to pass the time until tomorrow. At some point, he closed his eyes, listening to the TV in the background, and fell asleep a short time later.

Cassie ended the call and dropped her arms to her side with a reluctant sigh.
“I’m proud of you,” Jenny reassured her, rubbing Cassie’s left arm. “This is a great first step.”
“Yeah,” Cassie nodded. “Would you mind staying over tonight? I-I’d really appreciate the company.”
“Not at all,” Jenny smiled. “Anything I can do to help. So, what do you wanna do tonight?”
“I don’t care,” Cassie replied, shaking her head. “Just as long as it involves alcohol.”

——————————————————————————————————————

Nick blinked a few times as he opened his eyes. At first, he wasn’t quite sure where he was. As he came to his senses, he slowly scanned the nearly pitch black room, the glow from the television the only light source in the room.
“Uhn, what time is it,” he muttered groggily as he looked over to the clock on the nightstand.
“Holy shit!” Nick exclaimed, seeing that it was a quarter past midnight. “Did I sleep all afternoon?!”
Apparently, building up the nerve to call Cassie, coupled with actually conversing with her, and practicing shrinking and growing himself, had sapped all of Nick’s energy. He was still pretty tired, and he probably would’ve just fallen back to sleep right then and there, but his stomach started rumbling, unhappy that it had missed dinner.
“I guess I should go grab a bite to eat,” Nick said to himself, “but what’s even OPEN right now?”
“Hmph,” Nick shrugged, standing up from the bed. “Maybe I can find a drive-through that’s still open.”

It was a little after midnight when the two girls finally made it back home, Jenny practically carrying an extremely wasted Cassie over the threshold to her apartment. Normally, Cassie wasn’t one to let loose and release her inhibitions, but that night, she needed an escape; she didn’t want to think about her husband or her marriage: she just wanted to have a good time.
Figuring they were both going to get quite intoxicated by the end of the night, the two had done the responsible thing and ordered an Uber®a039; to get to and from their evening at the dance club. Throughout the night, the two girls downed numerous fruity drinks, while occasionally letting loose out on the dance floor. Cassie, in particular, was really dancing up a storm, shaking her ass for all the guys to see, who, in turn, were more than willing to rub up against her and cop a feel, but the ever vigilant Jenny was always standing by making sure Cassie didn’t get too out of control.
Nonetheless, despite not staying too late, both Cassie and Jenny had a pretty fun time.
“OK, sweetie,” Jenny said as she pushed open Cassie‘s front door. “Here we are. Home at last.”
Cassie’s only response was a slight moan; she was barely conscious and half-lucid.
“Here,” Jenny chortled, “kick off your shoes while I set your handbag and keys on the table with mine, OK?”
“Yeah, OK,” Cassie nodded groggily, slipping her feet out of her platform sandals. “Jenny?”
“Hm?”
“Is—Is Nick here yet?”
“No, sweetie,” Jenny chortled. “He won’t be here until the morning.”
“Good,” Cassie replied in a rather slurred voice. “I don’t wanna have to worry about SQUISHING him.”
“Well, I’m sure Nick would appreciate that,” Jenny chuckled, “if he were actually here, but for now, how about we get you to bed?”
“OK,” Cassie said as she stumbled into the living room, peering at the floor as her bare feet lightly stomped the carpet with each step.
“Nick,” Cassie called to the floor, in a slightly singsong voice, “if you’re down there, you better watch out....or I might squash you.”
“Honey,” Jenny called out, racing into the living room and putting Cassie’s arm over her shoulder to hold her up, “I told you, Nick‘s not here. Geez, girl! You are totally wasted!”
“Yeah, I am,” Cassie giggled proudly, still slurring her speech. “I haven’t had that much fun for a long time.”
“Yeah, I can tell,” Jenny chuckled as they stumbled into Cassie‘s bedroom.
“Here,” Jenny said, steadying Cassie on her feet next to the bed, “let’s get your clothes off.”
Despite her completely inebriated state, Cassie somehow managed to take of her blouse and slip out of her cut-off jean shorts without toppling over. Then, she pulled back the covers before climbing into bed; she was completely passed out by the time her head hit the pillow.
Jenny, who was still pretty buzzed herself, though not as much as Cassie, chuckled to herself as she watched her friend practically collapse onto the opposite side of the bed. Although she was quite concerned with how much alcohol Cassie and she herself had imbibed that night, Jenny had to admit, it DID feel good to let loose and throw caution to the wind.
Jenny quickly gathered her jammies and headed towards the bathroom to change and brush her teeth; before she left the bedroom, however, she stopped off on Cassie’s side of the bed to tuck in her unconscious friend.
“Sleep tight, sweetie,” she said softly, pulling the covers up over Cassie’s shoulders. “Get some rest. You’ve gotta BIG day ahead of you.”

Not a half hour after he’d awoken, Nick was driving through a late-night taco place, grabbing a dinner box. Though he would’ve preferred to just take it back to the motel and eat in front of the TV, he was so hungry, he ending up scarfing down his meal while sitting in the restaurant’s nearly empty parking lot, scrolling through his phone.
While he did find some amusing videos to help pass the time, Nick’s mind was spinning wildly over the conversation he’d had with Cassie that afternoon....and the one they’d have later on that morning. What was he gonna say to her? What was SHE going to say to HIM? Would she let him come back home, or were they going to stay separated? And if they stayed separated, was it just the first step in a long, painful road towards DIVORCE?!
Nick grew increasingly anxious as countless ideas and scenarios bounced around his mind. His heart was pounding wildly as it dropped over and over again in his chest.
Should I tell Cassie the good news: that I’ve learned to control my power? he thought nervously, Or will she simply not be interested, and would even the mere mention of the subject do nothing but drive her even further away?
With his drink being the only unfinished part of his late dinner, Nick sighed, gathered up his trash in the passenger’s seat, and reached for the keys to start his car...
Nick suddenly froze in place, stranded in deep thought, contemplating something drastic.
What if...
A thought suddenly began coalescing in his mind, as if instantaneously manifesting itself from nothingness:
What if I just went home? Nick thought. What if I just drove home, burst into the apartment, woke Cassie up, took her in my arms, and just begged her—pleaded with her—to let me come home....to take me back? She’d probably be too tired to argue. She’d HAVE to let me stay. Heck, she’d probably just let me hop right into bed next to her.
Nick quickly shook off the thought. It was a terrible idea! Cassie’d probably think he was nuts; but then again, it would be a bold move, and maybe that’s just what Nick needed to do right now—make a bold, decisive move. He’d been so passive with Cassie lately, stepping around her feelings, trying not to make her angry...Maybe…Maybe it was time for Nick to be the dominant one, to take a stand, to look her in the eyes and tell her:
‘Cassie, I’m not leaving! I want us to work through this! I don’t want to get separated! I love you!’
...?...
“...Maybe I could just sleep on the couch and just be there when Cassie wakes up in the morning,” Nick sighed softly, lacking the real courage to execute his former thought.
Nick bit is lower lip anxiously, contemplating his next move, a decision that could literally determine he course of the rest of his life...
Nick’s nodded his head. His mind was made up; his destination was clear!
He turned the keys in the ignition, rolled his car out of the restaurant parking lot, and drove off into the night.