- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Cleo loses her patience

Cleo’s Trial

Cleo


Reaching out with her power Cleo tentatively lifted the two small green garbed women into the air before her as she drew them from the cage. Her powers were still telling her these women were mortals, no power and no tethers to Olympia. ‘Am I going crazy…’ she thought to herself as she drifted them down onto her kitchen table and sat down looking over the two confused appearing women. “So, You both clearly know who I am by now, Tell me about yourselves,” she spoke softly, choosing to try the carrot approach..first.

The two figured looked at each other without saying a word, Cleo’s power swirled invisibly around them hunting for any sign of magic, telepathy, anything that would confirm her fears but there was nothing to these women, their temporary silence was fraying her temper when the younger one stood up and gave a slight bow of her head, “Greetings Goddess Cleo, My name is Hannah and this is my mother, Sarah.” Cleo squinted down at the small girl, she seemed to be sincere, at least now she had names. “Well, Hannah, care to explain to me how my statues face changed earlier this afternoon?” she tried to keep the accusation from her voice but failed. The two women again glanced at each other, that was starting to bother her, then Sarah stood up and spoke, “A Divine Miracle I believe, that’s what everyone was saying, It seems to be the only plausible explanation.” she said with an air of dignity that should be impossible for a mortal stood before a Goddess. Cleo smirked, had her demeanour given her away, her fingers flexed in the air as a slim silver fork appeared between her fingers, twirling in the air about the women. “I have reason to believe you are not mortals, Once I plunge this fork through your daughter, I will know for sure, are you sure that is your final answer?” she spoke calmly as her eyes locked with the tiny Sarah. Then Sarah turned to look at Hannah again, “STOP THAT!” Cleo said with frustration as she slammed her hand down between the two girls, “EVERY TIME I ASK YOU SOMETHING YOU LOOK AT EACH OTHER!” she yelled as her other hand instinctively grabbed her glass of water, she flipped it over and on top of Hannah, water drenching her and spilling out across the table as Cleo glared at the pair. “That should stop you,” she spat as the small girl looked like a drowned cat under the glass. “Now, Sarah, Without looking at her, Is that your final answer!” she declared as she tapped the glass with her fork.

Sarah

Looking up into the irritated eyes of her current captor Sarah was feeling a mixed set of emotions as Hannahs angry voice came through her mind, “LET ME END THIS MESS, LET ME USE THIS SPOILED BRAT AS A SUPPOSITORY!” her daughter’s passionate plea brought a small smile to her lips as she calmly replied, “You got to admit that was funny, even she didn’t realise the glass was half full.” she said trying to ease the anger as she finally spoke verbally again, “What other than an act of divinity can mould stone like that, My answer remains the same!” she said maintaining her defiant stance, the girl was clearly getting riled up by her stance and Sarah was looking to draw the worst traits from her friend’s child. The large girl put the fork down next to Sarah as her huge face came down so that she could feel the Goddesses breath. “I..” Cleo said slowly as her hand gripped the glass Hannah was trapped under, “..THINK…” she said as her hand jerked, sending Hannah tumbling within her prison, “...YOU…” she jerked the glass again, and Sarah heard Hannah’s voice in mind, “My body is healing itself, I can’t block it or this would be fatal!” she sounded panicked as Sarah kept her face stoic staring into the massive eye before her, Cleo kept speaking slowly, “...ARE…” each word punctuated with a sharp movement of the glass, “...FROM…” again a cry of annoyance came from Hannah as Sarah felt her own anger rising, “...OLYMPIA.” Cleo said finally as she dragged the glass next to Sarah and lifted it. Then the huge woman sat back up and smirked, “Your dress is torn and your hair is a mess but otherwise you’re fine, care to explain little spy?” Hannah rolled onto her back and stared up at her mother as Sarah shook her head slowly, “We’re not spies and we’re not from Olympia, You are so sure in your own judgement that would risk killing my daughter to make a point?” Sarah said as she let a cold tone filter into her voice. Cleo’s mask slipped just briefly as she once again locked eyes with her. The Goddesses fingers gripped the fork and brought the spikes down onto Hannah’s chest, “If I am wrong then you will tell me the truth right now,” she declared as the fork started to glow light blue, “This fork will penetrate her skin if she is from Olympia and it will kill her, you know I am serious.” she said her tone going deadly cold as Sarah held her gaze. “What’s your game here Goddess, Why are you doing this? Why do you have a young woman pinned under a torture device?” Sarah said switching gears to appeal to empathy, certain this would only serve to annoy her further. Cleo gripped the fork with her whole and hung the tip over Hannah’s head, “LAST CHANCE, TELL ME WHERE YOU ARE FROM!” Sarah looked over to Hannah who was doing a poor job at looking scared, although Cleo wasn’t paying attention to her, Then she looked back up at the angry Goddess, “My home hasn’t existed since a Goddess destroyed it,” she said defiantly as she glared up at the angry woman. Cleo lowered the fork, “You’re from New Zealand?” she said with a twang of sympathy. Sarah and Hannah looked at each other in confusion as Hannah’s voice came through Sarah’s mind, ‘Where the fuck is New Zealand?’. “STOP THAT!” the huge woman said once more as Sarah turned back to look at her, the large Goddess shaking her head in annoyance, “Listen, Your country was needed as an example, I don’t regret my decision,” she said as she put the fork down. Sarah smiled as she looked up, “Really? Your scope is that small that once again it has to be about you?” she chided with a provoking tone. Sarah’s divine senses kicked in as Cleo’s hand smashed down onto her, any mortal would of been instantly turned in paste but Sarah found herself in a free fall towards the Goddesses feet as she was smashed through the table. The ground hit and she felt her power pushing against her self imposed barriers to retaliate. “SEE, HOW THE FUCK DID YOU NOT DIE!” The Goddess thundered as Sarah saw her huge sandaled foot raise, Just as she stood the large foot smashed down on top of her, again the floor gave way and she found herself pressed into a Sarah shaped indent in the tiled floor. “WHAT ARE YOU!” Cleo was now screaming in frustration as her foot came down again and again. Hannah’s voice came through her mind again, “Why are we still playing? She is clearly onto us.” she said with annoyance in her voice. Sarah replied, “She’s really not onto us though is she…” she replied during stomps as she heard the table smash again, Cleo’s fist going for Hannah.

Hannah

Why her mother hadn’t called an end to this farce was beyond her as the petulant Goddess kicked her across the room and through the far wall. Hannah allowed herself a touch of magic to cushion her fall as she landed on the roof of a building in the city surrounding the massive temple. A woman ran up to her in concern, “Oh my Goddess, what happened! Are you okay?” she said with concern as she offered a hand. Hannah brushed her hand aside and stood, “It’s fine, Just a small disagreement with the Goddess,” she said forcing a smile as she saw Cleo peering out through the hole in the temple wall. Hannah turned back to the woman who had helped her, “Maybe you should get off the roof, maybe out of the city for a bit, tell everyone, “ she offered as she turned to look back towards the temple, Cleo was gone. Hannah’s divine senses kicked in hard as her power reflexively blocked the massive woman dropping from the sky above her, “WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU!” she boomed out across the world as Hannah was driven down through the building and into the soft earth below as the Goddess attempted to smash her apart, the hundreds of mortals of collateral damage meaning nothing to her as she raged.

Hannah closed her eyes as the huge sandal tried to twist her out of existence, “She’s outside killing hundreds trying to snuff me...can we end this now, please?” she mentally whispered to her mother.  “No, We are seeing her true self, this is why we are here…evaporate, Watch from afar.” her mother’s words frustrated her but at least it would stop the annoying grinding of the giant sandal, Hannah let herself dissolve to mist before teleporting away.

Cleo

The invincible woman finally popped as she ground down on her, her landing had taken a whole city block but she finally killed the durable witch.  “Fucking finally, Now maybe the other one will talk…”  she said with a sense of pride as she vanished back into her temple. “Where are you then little woman, I snuffed your little daughter…” she said as her eyes checked the holes in the floor she has smashed the woman into, the little green lady lay waiting in the last hole. Cleo squat down over her and smirked, “You feel like explaining why you’re so hard to kill? Or do I just kill you and forget the whole affair?” she said with a cruel smile. Sarah stood up and stared at her, “We never opposed you in any way, you choose murder as the default option, I used to know a couple of girls like you, power totally corrupting them.” Cleo’s fingers snapped around Sarah has she lifted her before her face, “You do not know me, tiny mortal, You are an insignificant puddle of mush waiting to happen and I will have forgotten you before tomorrow!” she said sneered as Sarah looked into her eyes. “There it is, Your truth. Even when it’s impossible you are self-entitled, Your mother should be ashamed,” she said severely as Cleo’s eyes burned blue and then died off to her natural brown Irises, another voice spoke from her, “She is.” Cassandra’s voice said softly behind her enraged daughter. Cleo froze at the words as she turned slowly, “Although in fairness to her, you did threaten her authority and provoke her Sarah,” Cass continued as her daughter slowly turned her cheeks glowing red. “Mother? When did you arrive?” she said carefully as she hid Sarah in a closed fist. “I came when you drew on so much power you could have fueled a star, What in all the worlds were you thinking Cleo! You know what that can do to you!” Cassandra said as she gestured to her hand, “Let her go, Where is Hannah?” she continued as her daughters embarrassed and confused face turned to the hole in the wall, “I killed her…” she said slowly, “You know these two?” she added as she started to apply reasoning to the situation, “You sent them?” she concluded as frustration slowly gave way to anger.

Cassandra looked towards the hole and back to her daughter, “No, I didn’t send them, they came on their own, Hannah, I know you’re here you can come out, and Sarah stop playing dolly.” Cleo’s confusion returned as her hand grew warm, her fingers being pushed apart as the woman trapped within expanded in size, Cleo panicked and jump back as Sarah expanded to match her scale, her torn dress swirling into flowing green robes, As Cleo struggled to find words Hannah materialised besides Cassandra dressed similarly to her mother and glaring at Cleo with annoyance. “What is going on, Who are you! Mother! Please!” she said feeling a sense of fear bubble within her that she had never felt before. Sarah turned and smiled, “Hello Cleo, I am Sarah Aurelian, Goddess of Life, This is my Daughter, Hannah Aurelian, Goddess of Insight,” she said keeping her tone sweet as Hannah spoke up, “And I am pretty pissed about being stepped on like some kind of mortal!” she said bitterly. Cassandra stepped in front of Sarah, “Cleo, Sarah is my sister, she has come to meet you.”Cleo felt the wall of the temple her hit as she stepped back, “Why didn’t you say something! Why didn’t you tell me you had a sister! Why didnt...why….why….” she said kept whimpering as she slid down the wall and curled up on the floor.

Sarah

“I know why you didn’t tell her Cas, You were never planning on seeing me again!” Sarah said accusingly, Cassandra put her hand over her heart as she looked back towards her sister, “When you put it like that it sounds evil! You know why we all had to hide, you as well you risk everything by bringing so much power together!” she complained as glanced at her distraught daughter. Hannah stepped up and glanced towards Cleo, “She isn’t a real Goddess is she, She’s a vessel for your power like the others…”  the younger woman declared, Cassandra blushed, “She is my blood daughter, I just, couldn’t risk another true power source so I didn’t gift her any innate power,” she confessed as she turned back to Sarah, “Seems she would be been another Alyssa anyway…” she said with a tone of disappointment. Sarah sighed and hugged her friend, “She’s not that bad and her conscience seems intact, It’s not too late for her, as for the power consolidation that why we are here.” Sarah broke the huge and looked at Cassi with a serious eye “As you’ve witnessed we have found a way to hide even our substantial divine energy, even -She- couldn’t find us, let us teach you and maybe you can grant Cleo her own power in time.” Cassi looked over towards Cleo who was now staring at them, her eyes wet from tears, “Well, it would be nice to be spread so thin all of the time, Let’s do it, Hannah, maybe you could keep Cleo company for a while, I sent her girlfriend away for a while I think she needs someone.” she said with an edge of pleading. Hannah sighed, “Fine, I’ll stay with your,” she turned towards Cleo, “Fake Goddess,” she smirked and turned back to her mother, “Don’t be too long, for her sake.” Sarah couldn’t hold the giggle that earned her a glare from Cassi, “Don’t hurt her, you’re cousins after all!” and with that as the parting statement, Sarah and Cassi vanished, leaving Hannah, eyes blazing teal, glaring at the miserable Cleo.

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading