- Text Size +

Tenshi waited paitently in her car at the high scool, looking for signs of her daughter. She was a minute late than usual. Kana had a habit of appearing right on time. Finally, she spotted an approaching figure who was wearing a black leather biker jacket, black jeans, and black knee-high combat boots holding a backpack by her left shoulder. The young teen walked up to the car and opened the passenger side door before sitting down and shutting it harshly. The girl turned to her for a second before she sank into the seat with a sullen look.

Her daughter did indeed look just like her mother. In fact, the two could easily be mistaken as twins. Though there were a few differences that told them apart. One being that her daughters' eyes were a darker shade of brown than Tenshi's own brown eyes. And unlike Tenshi's dark brown hair, she had her fathers' jet black hair which onlt went down to the base of her neck and partially covered her left eye. All in all, without those differences, it would be somewhat difficult to tell them apart.

"Hey Kana," Tenshi greeted her daughter who looked at her with a sullen frown. "I take it your day was okay?" she asked weakly. Kana only rolled her eyes. Kana only rolled her eyes before looking at her mother. 

"Today fucking sucked." Her daughter quite bluntly stated before shifting her gaze ahead. Tenshi narrowed her eyes at her daughters' choice of words.

"Kana," she admonished. The now 15-year-old girl flinched.

"Sorry," The girl said quietly.

"Look, at least you have one more week of this, then you get three months away from those kids," Tenshi offered. "Lord now's how much you need it," she quickly muttered under her breath.

Kana struggled a lot at school. And was just really quiet around a lot of people. Not that the girl could help it, she couldn't. The biggest problem Kana had was that she had a serious bullying problem. She went to the local high school. Which also due to how small and reasonably distant it is from the nearest city, it saw little foreign students. Kana got teased and harassed because of being one of the only Japanese students in the school. Tenshi had gone down countless times to try and make the school stop the bullying, but sometimes, it didn't work.

The worst-case her daughter had was last year when one of her male bullies who was a jock went too far attacking her and dislocated her shoulder, cracked two of her ribs, and knocked her out which lead to having her daughter go to the hospital. The only upside to the whole incident was that the boy who was responsible for attacking her was expelled from school. 

But back to now, she knew that when Kana was in this mood, she really wanted to be left alone to wallow in her sorrows. But Tenshi wasn't going to let her daughter just wallow like this, especially on her birthday.

"Can we just go home?" Kana asked pitifully. Tenshi nodded before leaving the parking lot. She and Kana let out a surprised yell as something suddenly hit her car. She turned to her daughter and saw that her passenger window was cracked. She saw a red-haired girl with a rock in her hand laughing while pointing at them. The woman scowled.

"That is coming out of her parent's paycheck," she muttered before turning to her sullen daughter who slumped against the seat. The students at this school didn't just tease Kana, they went after her too. Some even went up to Tenshi's face and called her a slut or a whore because she became pregnant with Kana when she was 15. If said stuff like that too her when she was younger, Tenshi had a hairline trigger before having Kana, she would've had no problem breaking and fracturing a few bones and ribs. And even making sure that one of them has to breathe through a tube for half a year. But the kids weren't worth it. And their parents won't be happy when she sends their parents the bill so she can pay for the window. So there was some victory in this.

Tenshi shook her head, looked at her daughter smiled a little. "Happy Birthday, my powerful little dragon," she said. To her enjoyment and glee, she saw a twitch of a smile crease her daughter's lips.

"Thanks, mom." she was silent for a few seconds before speaking again "I know you probably forgot about my birthday-

"I didn't," Tenshi assured, but she knew her daughter could tell she was lying. "I got you a cake ready at the house," Tenshi also assured. Kana gave her a smirk. Like the kind that reminded Tenshi of her own. Most of the time, Kana's personality, expression, and posture was basically her father. Tenshi had long since noted that Kana is basically her father, but has her mother's looks. Though Kana can actually change her expression and manurisms to match her mothers. Something that took years to perfect since she is naturally more like her father. Now, she can do it quite easily. And she even secretly knows it unnerved her mother, which is why she does it. She also does this to intimidate people who have angered or irritated her.

"You're not supposed to tell me what I got for my birthday," she mused. Tenshi rolled her eyes.

"A cake isn't a birthday present," she defended. Kana rolled her eyes.

"Let's just get home, so I can go to my room and sulk," the girl said. Tenshi shook her head as she stopped at a red light and turned to her daughter, waving a finger.

"Oh, no, no, no, no, no. You are not going to spend your birthday up in your room all day sulking. Today is your birthday, and you are going to like it," Tenshi snapped. Kana looked away.

"But-

"Kana, I know you had a rough day. But I don't want you to spend this birthday, your 15th birthday up in your room depressed all day. You are 15 as of..." she paused and looked at the clock on the dashboard before focusing on the road as the light turned green. ''As of 15 minutes ago,'' she finished. Tenshi believed that birthdays only start at the time they were born. "So you will spend the rest of the day enjoying it." She heard Kana sigh before speaking.

"Okay mom, I'll try to enjoy it," she said. Tenshi smirked.

"Don't worry. You'll love it," she assured. Kana shrugged again as they continued to their home.

Once they arrived, Kana got out first and started for the house, but Tenshi walked quickly pass before going up to the door and unlocking it. She opened it and gestured. "After you, my queen."

She saw her daughter roll her eyes before entering the house and walked in behind her, pulling the door shut. Kana took off her boots before turning to see that the living room did have a poster that said Happy 15th Birthday.

"I'll go get the cake, you just sit right there," Tenshi said as she walked towards the kitchen. Kana grabbed the remote before turning on the 53-inch crystal clear flat-screen TV. She turned to the news channel that was reporting on Mount Rainier's eruption. Kana had a thing for volcanoes, so she thought Kana would be interested in it. She heard her mother walking towards her and turned to see her with a white cake with blue frosting on it towards the table. She set it down and Kana saw Happy 15th Birthday Kana written on top of the cake.

Tenshi then held up a bag that had a few presents in it. "There," she said as she took out two candles shaped like 1 and 5 before placing them at the top of the sentence before getting a lighter and lighting the candles.

"Happy Birthday to me," the girl said before she blew out the candles. Tenshi clapped joyfully.

"Yay!" she squeed. Kana rolled her eyes before the two ate a few slices of the cake, once they were full, Tenshi noticed Kana was eyeing the gifts. Tenshi smirked. "Funny, earlier you said that I didn't get you anything," she said. Her daughter shrugged. "You forget how quick I can do things within a short amount of time."

"So you did forget," Kana stated plainly. Tenshi rolled her eyes.

"Just open the damn presents," the mother tersely announced. Kana smirked before picking up one of the smaller rectangle-shaped presents before opening it. Her eyes widened a little as she saw it was a video game.

"Grand Theft Auto IV," she announced before turning to her mother. ''You got me a 12-year-old video game,'' the girl mused.

Tenshi grinned. "I know you love playing old video games. So I got you that one," Tenshi said. Kana nodded, pleased with this gift. She continued opening the rest of her gifts. She got Godzilla, King of the Monsters, a build-up model of the Titanic, and a painting of the volcano Mount St Helens that Tenshi herself made over the course of a few months and had a hell of a hard time hiding from her daughter and blue earrings made from Helenite. A man-made glass stone made from melted down ash from Mount St Helens and given added colorants during the said melting process to give the gem a different color. Kana's favorite mountain was Mount St Helens. Which is why she got her those two gifts.

For Kana's 16th birthday, Tenshi vowed to take her to Mount St Helens when she would have enough money to go there.

Needless to say, Tenshi saw the joyful gleam in her daughters' eyes once she received the earrings. Once she put them on, she turned to her mother.

"How do they look?" Kana asked. Tenshi smiled. The earrings were a stark contrast in comparison to the pale girl.

"You look beautiful with them on," she concluded. Kana nodded with a warm grateful smile.

"So those were it?" Kana asked. Tenshi smirked.

"Well, not really. I have one more gift for you," she announced. "I just need you to follow me." Tenshi gestured Kana to follow her, who stood up and proceeded to follow her. She saw that her mother was leading her towards the basement.

"The gift is in the basement?" she asked. Tenshi nodded.

"Oh yes, it's in the basement," she assured. The two went down into the basement and towards the door that leads to the large room.

"Did you put a bowling alley in there of something?" she joked though she wouldn't mind if it was true. Bowling was one of her favorite sports. Tenshi smirked.

"No, what you got is a hundred times better than what a Bowling Alley can provide," she said as she stopped at the door and started to twist the doorknob. Finally, Tenshi opened the door and walked down the four flights of stairs and stopped at the base. Kana noticed something strange about the base of it. The floor was green? She sighed before she saw her mother gesturing her to come down. So with a heavy sigh, the 15-year-old girl proceeded to walk down the stairs. Once she got to the base of it, she turned to her mom and narrowed her eyes.

"Okay, mom just what is down heeerrre, what the fuck?" the teenage girl stated in shock at what she saw out of the corner of her eye, causing her to turn to it.