- Text Size +

Madelyn laughed as she kicked a downed girl. The smaller and weaker Kathryn recoiled to protect her face as she was assaulted by the bully’s shoe over and over again. Kathryn just had to endure for a little while longer then she could go home and be free of this torment. The freedom came sooner than expected as the attack stopped. She looked around to find another girl struggling with Madelyn, Belle. Belle was Kathryn’s best friend and would try to defend her the vicious bully whenever she could. She smiled and winced from the bruises on her stomach and back. Belle was able to get Madelyn on the ground and was holding her in an armbar.

Kathryn shambled to her feet while the two were yelling something at each other. Her headache was making focusing on what they were saying difficult but she could make a guess that it was similar to the last few dozen times they’ve fought over her. “I’ll… go get a teacher.” She mumbled, probably not loud enough for Belle to hear.

“Now hold on a second there.” A fourth voice cut the air and stopped Kathryn before she could run off. Standing right behind her was… Madelyn. She looked back at where Belle was and saw the girl still there, being held down by her friend. Madelyn didn’t have a twin, she didn’t have any siblings that Kathryn was aware of. She was stunned by the appearance of a second identical bully and tried to stammer out some kind of response but then everything shifted.

 

Suddenly the “four” of them were standing in a circle and the two Madelyns were next to each other, while Kathryn got to stand next to Belle. She was dizzy from this instantaneous rearrangement and she could tell from glancing at Belle’s face that she was as well. One of the Madelyns cleared her throat and began speaking before anyone could get a word in.

“Hello me, I’m you. From the future. I’ve come here with an important message about you. You see, this bullying routine of yours will lead you down a dark path in life and will bring ruin to you. You must stop and begin protecting the weak instead of hurting them.” She said with as much bravado as a Madelyn could muster.

The original Madelyn was confused and looked around for a camera, was she being punked? Not seeing any signs of a prank, she was becoming very shaken by what has transpired in the past minute, minute and a half or so. “I…”

The second Madelyn laughed and slapped her other self on the back. “I’m just kidding, Kathy’s a total loser. What I am here to do is give you this.” She handed her past self a remote control with a single button. “Just like I did for me, I am doing for you. When you press this button anything you think about will come true. Congratulations, you’re God now.”

Belle was already angry about the bullying and fighting earlier, but the confusion of the situation only made it worse. She started yelling profanities at Madelyn again and walking towards her, demanding an end to this joke and an explanation for what’s going on. Present Madelyn pointed the remote at Belle and pressed the button and with a soft beep Kathryn’s friend stopped moving and collapsed on the spot.

Kathryn squeaked and dropped to her knees to check her collapsed friend, not feeling any response or life in her friend. “She’s… she’s not breathing.” She choked out. What was going on?

Present Madelyn looked over the remote and giggled. “So just to be clear, the whole ‘be a good person’ thing was a joke, right?”

“Yeah, no worries. Do whatever you want. Really, these two are beneath you now.” Future Madelyn gestured at Kathryn and Belle.

“Yeah, just wanted to double check. God, huh?”

“Yup, we’re God. You’re the best so you deserve it, after all.”

“I know, right?”

Both Madelyns laughed as Kathryn’s panic over her dead friend began to set in. She couldn’t keep herself from crying and was finding it difficult to care about what the two bullies were saying.

“Well, I got to get back to my time. Have fun, see you later.” Future Madelyn said before disappearing without a trace. Shortly after there was another soft beep and Belle gasped for air and began moving again. Kathryn couldn’t believe it. She pulled her friend up and hugged her.

“I saw-” Belle started before her voice was cut mute by another beep.

“Yeah, shut up.” Madelyn said. “God’s talking now. You should be thankful I brought you back.”

Kathryn helped Belle return to a standing position and they stared at Madelyn, waiting to see what was going on. It was hard to believe, but unless this was a dream there was little doubt that the remote was able to do things. Kathryn wanted to run away when Madelyn pointed the remote at her and clicked the button. She closed her eyes in fear at the beep but nothing happened. Shaken to her core by seeing her friend die and return to life.

“Alright now that that’s settled. What future me said was true, you two are beneath me now that I’m basically all powerful. But here’s the thing...” She started walking towards them while clicking the remote once more. “You two were always beneath me, with or without powers, so I’ll get my fun out of you like I always have.”

Once she finished speaking Madelyn was right in front of them, looking down at them both. Them both? Belle and Madelyn were always the same size, Kathryn recalled. Then noticed that her best friend had reduced in height to be equal with herself.

“Now literally!” Madelyn laughed before kicking Belle in the knee and pushing her over. The girl once again collapsed to the ground but this time still alive. She looked back over at Kathryn and frowned. “It feels off, Kathy. Seeing you both the same height. Strange, you know?” She said before clicking the remote again and Kathryn watched Madelyn get even better… no, herself smaller. Too small, way too small.

Kathryn fell onto her behind as she found herself looking up at Madelyn’s scruffy shoe. Could she… really do anything? Did this… bully, absolutely bitch, and terrible person really get handed unlimited power? She wanted to scream, it was already unfair that Kathryn was relentlessly bullied by this girl and now the world kept getting more ridiculous.

“I think I overdid it!” Madelyn laughed. “But you know, it kind of fits. I like it.” She looked over at Belle, smirked and there was another beep.

 

It’s been a few hours, Kathryn found when she checked her phone. A few hours since Madelyn shrunk Belle along with Kathryn, and teleported them both to Kathryn’s bedroom. Half that time since her mom came home and after freaking out and calling the police. This resulted in more Madelyn laughter as the woman had her brain be rewritten to be completely subservient to the teenage bully. Kathryn was forced to watch as Madelyn was pampered by her own mother in her own room, forced to watch as Madelyn was fed her own favorite meal cooked by her mother. She couldn’t help but think that at her current size she could easily be eaten along with the dinner. Her father however was turned into belly button ring that now hung from Madelyn’s navel.

The police never arrived.

Kathryn and Belle were sitting on a disc floating midair nearby Madelyn, watching her get a back massage from Kathryn’s mother. Kathryn couldn’t stop crying for hours but was now finding it difficult. Madelyn had taunted her earlier about accepting her point in life of being God’s toy, and should just give up and worship. Kathryn was afraid that she’d have to, at some point.

Belle’s voice never returned but nonetheless did everything she could to comfort her friend despite clearly being shaken on her own. They flinched as they heard another beep. Immediately however Kathryn found herself returned to her normal height and standing in her room. Belle remained tiny however, and held in her hands. She looked down at her shrunken friend with concern. “What...”

Madelyn snapped her fingers. “I’m hungry, feed your friend to me.” She demanded. Kathryn stood in shock as Madelyn rolled over onto her back and her masseuse switched to working on her feet.

“No! I won’t do it!” Kathryn yelled in defiance. Holding Belle protectively, feeling as if this is the first time she’s been given the chance to protect her friend.

“Sure you will.” The all powerful girl stated matter of factly.

“You can’t make me!”

“I literally can, though. I won’t have to do that, because if you don’t do it willingly I’ll eat your mother and then Belley anyways. And some other people you care about. Then you’ll be left all alone with me, forever.”

Kathryn stood shocked, processing her ultimatum. Her mother may be brainwashed right now but she was still her mother. Her eyes flickered around the room, settling on the remote. If she could get the remote, she could fix everything. No matter what atrocity Madelyn commits, she could fix it all.

It was a minute of silence before Madelyn chimed in again. “Come on, God’s still hungry.”

Kathryn took a small hesitant step towards her God. She could feel Belle clinging to one of her fingers as a form of protest. There was another beep from the remote and she flinched but there was no immediate effect. Kathryn just had to play along for now until there was an opening to fix everything, save her friends, family, and the world. For now she just… had to feed her best friend to her bully. Shaking, she held her friend over Madelyn’s face. Madelyn’s maw opened, inviting the morsel inside. She lowered Belle into the mouth and she could see the grin on the edges of Madelyn’s part lips even now. The lips that snapped shut around Kathryn’s fingers. She felt a tongue and suction pull her friend free of her fingers and then heard a soft swallow.

Kathryn fell to her knees, realising that she was gone. Belle was gone, swallowed like a drink. A small snack for Madelyn, a cruel tormentor unjustly given unlimited power. There was some hope, however. Something Kathryn clung to with fierce optimism, getting the remote or the chance that Madelyn brings Belle back to life again.

There was a belch that escaped from Madelyn’s throat followed by a giggle. “Oh I have an idea!” She declared and clicked the remote again. She sat up on the bed she was lying down on, Kathryn’s mother stood off to the side. She pulled up her shirt showing off her stomach, and the belly button ring, and snapped her fingers to get Kathryn’s attention. “Your friend’s in my belly! Forever, I’ve decided! I’ve made it so she’ll be digested and come back to life inside my stomach! Over and over again!” She smiled. She paused to think for a second before another beep was emitted from the remote. “And I just made it so I’ll never get fat off of your dumb friend. Can never be too safe.”

Kathryn went blank, not willing to abide by this bully’s cruelty any longer. She jumped to her feet and tackled the sitting girl. She was still smaller than Madelyn, even at her normal height, but she just needed to get the remote. Her hands went for the throat and Madelyn instinctively dropped everything to protect herself. Once the remote hit the blanket, Kathryn let go and grabbed it before jumping away with the remote. She pointed it at Madelyn while shaking, if her tears had not dried up they’d be flowing. Madelyn raised her hands in a position of surrender.

“I’m going to fix everything. Everything you’ve done. Everything you’ve ever done even before you got this stupid remote. I’ll make you a good person, too. Better than you deserve.” Kathryn said, voice wavering with victory. She clicked the remote and with a soft beep… the lights turned off. She clicked it again and they turned back on.

“Wha...”

Madelyn started laughing more than she ever did before and the remote turned to dust in Kathryn’s hands. She stood up only to fall back onto the bed from laughing so much.

Soon the laughter subsided and Madelyn smiled happily at Kathryn.

“So like… idunno… couple hours ago I decided to read your mind for good ideas on how to mess with you. You’re really scared of me, it seems.”

“Read… my mind? This whole time?” She muttered, softly.

“Yup yup! Every thought you’ve had for hours now I’ve been aware of, and once you figured you’d steal the remote I figured it’d be bad if you pulled it off so I just transferred all of the powers of the remote to myself.”

Kathryn was frozen. She was done, not wanting to try anymore. This world belonged to Madelyn and she didn’t want to. Dying was the only way out, only then she’d be free. How could she die without Madelyn’s permission, though?

“Granted!” God said and shrunk Kathryn once more. She raised her sneaker over her tiny victim. “I’m going to go rule the world now or something. Let everyone know God’s on Earth now. Oh, got to give someone a remote, too.” She offered happily before the shoe quickly dropped on the girl.

 

 

Kathryn opened her eyes to see only darkness, darkness everywhere. Floating in it… no falling. She fell onto an invisible surface with a thud but felt nothing from it. She remembered watching the bottom of Madelyn’s sneaker come down on her and then… this. Nothing. Is this the afterlife?

“Correct!” A voice echoed through… everything. Madelyn’s voice.

“I thought you killed me...” She whimpered.

“I did. Welcome to Heaven, that I built." A golden statue of Madelyn grew from the darkness before her. Kathryn felt indescribable awe at the beauty of the statue and the girl it represents. She shifted over onto her knees and began to worship, giving all of her love to the girl.

“Where you get to worship me for all eternity! Bye bye!” And the voice cut out… leaving Kathryn with nothing but Madelyn on her mind with total adoration and love.

Chapter End Notes:

__

Please leave a review with your thoughts.