- Text Size +

The Princess and the Peasant


 

 

I see everyone is here. Good! Now we can begin.


Today's tale opens up in the Kingdom of Ranthia. You see, the Autumn Festival was in full swing and the town was in uproarious cheer! Not too long ago this festival was meant to celebrate and give thanks to the Harvest Goddess. But as time moved on many forgot the true origins to this festival.

But for this particular Autumn Festival it was the opening day! But everyone knew the true fun didn't begin until the sun went down.


---


Walking the streets was a woman that seemed to bathe in royalty. Her dress the color of the very sky that matched her pristine eyes. Her hair was the color of the sun and it cascaded down her back in the most natural fashion.

“How disgusting.” This was Bethany, princess to the kingdom and third in line to take the throne. As she walked the streets of her town she noticed a woman to her left, one who had truly seen better days. “I dare say I barely saw you, your presence is oh so pathetic.” Bethany continued in a haughty tone as she barely made eye contact with the stranger.

The stranger in question was Gretchen. Unlike Bethany she did not live the life of riches and luxury. In fact her life was the very opposite. She spent most of her nights sleeping in various inns in exchange for cleaning them.

Her clothing was nothing stunning. Nothing more than rags compared to the elegant dress that Bethany wore. She didn't even wear shoes, her feet were bare and exposed to the land. Though Gretchen didn't see anything wrong with it.

“Excuse me?” Gretchen finally spoke. Her voice rather shy as she went to grip her left arm.

“I doubt I would even have noticed you, but thanks to that horrific smell...well it's hard to ignore.”  Bethany's strong attitude didn't waver as she took a step away from the disgusting woman.

“Rather rude...” Gretchen sighed as she ran a dirty finger through her unkempt brunette locks. Her hair was a tattered mess but still she managed  to weave it down her left shoulder.

“Can you really be rude to an insect?” A laugh escaped Bethany's lips as she continued on her walk. She was done with the conversation and didn't want to waste anymore time on someone so insignificant.

“...And here I thought today was going to be a good day.” Gretchen sighed and slumped down to the ground as she tucked her legs into her chest. This wasn't uncommon. The wealthy were never kind to the poor but for whatever reason this hit Gretchen even harder then normal. “You know, it'd be nice if for once...”

“Yes?” A voice tickled at the back of Gretchen's mind.

“I just wish...”

“Make your wish, my child.” The voice seemed to resonate all around Gretchen. That of a melodious woman. Gretchen couldn't explain it, but it felt calming. Almost bringing a surreal peace to her. She didn't fear it, she didn't question it.

Almost like it had always been there.

“I wish she could see what it was like to be treated like a pest!”

“So you wish, and so it shall be.”



---


The evening had come and the Autumn Festival was in full swing. The sound of music flooded the streets and you could find an activity anywhere you looked. It was a wonderful time indeed for everyone attending.

Well except one person.

That wish had come true, the one Gretchen had made. Those simple words sending a whispering wind around Bethany. Before she knew it the world had expanded impossibly large for her.

It wasn't long until the stalls towered over her like great towers. She had to rub her eyes as she didn't believe what she was seeing!

She could have sworn she had just entered Giant Country.

“What in the world...?” Her words were barely a squeak, of course no one above could hear her. The princess had been shrunken down to the size of a common ant! “Is this some sort of prank! I demand to know who shrunk me!” Bethany seemed more intent on finding the culprit who shrunk her then anything else.

But the only thing she saw in front of her was a sea of feet. Some bare, some in sandals, and other in boots. They surrounded every inch of her vision.

It was only now that the ant sized princess realized how small she was. These feet were as large as a house to her. They could simply crush her flat in a moment and that would be that.

That didn't stop her though. She was more concerned with who played this horrendous prank!

“Once I find you there will be hell to---AIEE!” Bethany didn't even finish that sentence! Luckily her reflexes kicked into gear as her body jumped to the side only to hit the ground with a roll.

THOOM! A resounding quake overtook the land as a massive foot had slammed into the very spot Bethany had just been in! If she had been a second slower the princess would have been as flat as a pancake!

Slowly the tiny woman stood up as she watched the massive feet that almost ended her walk off. Each step sending quakes throughout the ground.

It finally hit her how terrible of a situation she was in. She could easily be crushed! And at a festival like this no one would be looking at the ground. Worse yet there would be a ton of foot traffic and dancing.

Getting squished seemed inevitable!

“This is no way to treat a princess...” Still Bethany kept her haughty tone as she hiked up her dress and made her way towards a stall. Perhaps if she could get someone's attention they could whisk her away to safety.

After all walking was a chore.

BOOM!

“Augh!” Another crash roared through the land as a massive foot blocked Bethany's way. The foot stationed directly in front of her. So close she could reach out and touch it.

Worse she could smell it. The smell just utterly repulsive.  Whoever the owner of this foot was it was obvious they didn't bathe on a regular basis. The bare foot in front of her was even caked in all sorts of dirt and mud.

Bethany found her eyes fixated on the toes. Those nails just a bit too long for her liking.

“...Disgusting.” The bare foot of this person was truly something hideous to look at. Bethany craned her neck up but had trouble seeing past the waist of this relative giant. She did her best to make out the shape of the body and even noted a curve or two. She came to the safe conclusion this was another woman. And by the tattered leggings this woman wore they were probably nothing more than a common peasant.  

“Halted by a peasant's disgusting foot...How outrageous. Move your foot you wench!” Bethany shouted to the massive foot in front of her, of course it didn't move. “...I suppose I must go around.” As Bethany began to move the foot did too. It lifted up slightly only to crash right back into the ground.

Bethany was no match for the shock-wave and fell right to her rump, her dress now stained by the dirt ground.

Though that was the least of her problems. The foot didn't stop moving. Up and down it went, over and over. Bethany was forced to watch the front of the foot lift only to crash back into the ground moments later. She lost count of how many times this was happening.

All the while the heel stayed firmly planted as the front of the foot continued to rise up and down.

Bethany finally realized what was happening. The foot was tapping. Probably in tune to the thunderous blur of music that also surrounded her. Though at her size she couldn't really make out the music, it all sounded like obnoxious noise.

“Stop tapping your foot!” Bethany shouted, but to no avail. “DON'T YOU DARE!” The foot slid forward instead as it began to rise. Bethany was shrouded in an utter darkness as the sky was taken up by the dirty bare sole that now loomed above her.

Running was pointless but she still did her best. Her hands went to grip her dress as she sprinted as fast as her dainty legs would take her!

She wasn't sure how much time was passing. With each second the foot came closer and closer. Soon the darkness and smell fully surrounded her. And just like that the foot hit the ground, taking Bethany with it.

“AUUGHHH!” Bethany let out a cry as her fate was now sealed, the woman now entombed under the foot of this disgusting person! The taste of dirt and sweat stained at her mouth as she felt it even wrapping around her body.

Truly vile!

“This is not how a princess should be treated! I should not be under someone's foot!” As if her prayers had been answered the foot began to lift. Bethany let a sigh of relief, but that sigh soon turned into panic. As the foot lifted into the air so did the princess!

When the foot stepped down on her it had plastered her to the very sole! She was now stuck to it like an old piece of gum.

“THIS CAN NOT BE HAPPENING!” She let out a shriek as the foot crashed right back into the ground. Luckily the dirt below softened her blow. But at the same time she found her body growing even more stuck to that filthy foot that kept her prisoner. “YOU IGNORANT PEASANT! LOOK DOWN AND FREE FROM THIS HORRIBLE---AUUGH!” The foot slammed down once more. It was obvious the owner of that foot was walking.

Luckily for Bethany they were not large steps making the footfalls rather tame to deal with.

---


The incident with the noblewoman seemed like forever ago and Gretchen was ready to enjoy the night. She walked past a few of the stalls and found her eyes lighting up at all the things to do. She spotted places to dance, to drink, and to even play various games. Before she knew it her foot was even tapping in tune with the wondrous music she was hearing.

It didn't matter where you went during the festival, the sounds flutes and lutes could always be heard.

Of course Gretchen had no idea she had picked up a passenger while she tapped her foot. An insignificant little girl had been plastered against her sole and Gretchen was none the wiser. With the bug sized girl now firmly adhered to Gretchen's dirty sole she began to walk off towards a circle of people. All of them bopping and dancing about to the sounds of music.

Gretchen was entranced! How could she not join them in a joyous dance?

“This looks fun!” A laugh left her voice as she wiggled her body and joined the circle. She began to stomp her feet left and right. She was a true natural as she danced around and spun around. All the while her legs rising into the air, even kicking a few times before she slammed her feet right into the ground below.


---


Bethany was in hell, and it didn't seem like it was going to end anytime soon. She had no idea what was happening but the movements of the foot she was on seemed to get more severe.

The foot would rise high into the air and for a brief moment Bethany would see others.

“...DANCING!?” The foot began to fall once more. This fall would surely be her end. She watched as the ground rushed towards her. She could do nothing to save herself. She tried to break free of the sweat and grime but it was no use, she was stuck to that foot with no hope of getting off.

Closer and closer it flew towards the ground.

“NOOO!” One final shriek left Bethany's lips as the foot slammed right into the ground. The poor girl didn't stand a chance as she was crushed like a common insect. Her body flattened into a pathetic pulp.


---


Above Gretchen continued to dance, her spirits high as her feet continued to stomp about. She was unaware of the fact that she had just ended the life of the shrunken princess.


---



“THIS CAN'T BE HOW IT ENDS....H-Huh...?” Bethany thought she was in a dream. The last thing she remembered was...Well she had been stuck to someone's foot and was crushed while they danced the night away. But now...Where was she now? This didn't feel like her bed. But something around her did feel rather warm and fluffy.

“...Where in the world am I?” She tried to take stock of her situation. Moving didn't seem possible. Quickly she peered down only to see her lower body stuck in the confines of some sort of material. Whatever it was it smelled good.

Almost like..

“...Freshly baked bread...ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?” It seemed whoever was pulling this rouse on Bethany wasn't done. She simply traded one prison in for another. No longer was she caked to a sole but instead stuck in a fresh piece of bread.

“Oh can I have that one please!” The voice of the very gods snapped Bethany back into reality. Above she saw one massive hand reaching out towards her. Before she knew it the bread she was residing in was plucked up by tree sized fingers and began to rise.

And then she saw who had claimed her. A woman about the same age she was, her hair dirty and unkempt with clothing that was nothing special. Something about her seemed so familiar, but she couldn't put her finger on it.

“Hey! I am down here! LOOK DOWN HERE!” Of the course the girl wasn't aware of the ant sized princess that was atop her bread.

“Oh it smells so good, thanks so much!” The peasant looking girl lifted the bread higher now until it was in level with her mouth. She didn't waste anytime in opening her maw as slick strands of saliva began to break and shatter. Her mouth took the first bite of the bread. Her teeth the size of stones to Bethany as they crashed directly in front of her. She had been spared, for the moment at least.

“I will not be eaten as well...FOR THE LOVE OF!” Still she was stuck, she tried to break free but it was no use. The girl was coming in for her next bite. The cavern that was the girl's mouth surrounded Bethany as she took another bite. Chunks of the bread were broken away as Bethany had a one way ticket right down onto the tongue.

The tongue was huge compared to her, not to mention slick. This massive leviathan like monster was quick to slosh the contents about. Powerful stone like teeth slamming into the bread as they were masticated into even smaller bites.

By some insane fate Bethany avoided the teeth and just found herself bouncing about on the tongue as she was sloshed around. The girl wasted no time in tilting her head back.

“I WILL NOT BE SWALLOWED, I AM NOT FOOD!” Bethany gripped the tongue as best she could but it was all for nothing.

Gluck!~

The sound resonated around Bethany as she was forced down that massive throat. Her body so impossibly small that she simply slipped right down, the muscles barely even acknowledging her existence.

“NO! NO! NO!” Bethany spilled out into the chamber that was the girl's stomach. The smell hit her like a brick. She couldn't decide what smelled worse. Being underfoot or being in a stomach. It was a truly disgusting rancid smell that burned at her nostrils. She felt at any moment she was going to throw up.

But she had bigger problems.

The mite sized princess was now swimming in a lake of stomach acid.

“...Auughh...” She could feel her body beginning to tingle. She didn't expect to be alive much longer. She looked to her left and right, looking for somewhere to swim and take shelter.

But there was nothing. Just four slick churning stomach walls that gurgled around her.

“NO!” Something was pulling her. Lower she went, now sinking. Submerged in the hot acids. She couldn't swim, the more she tried the faster she sank.

And so ended Bethany, destined to dissolve in the stomach of a woman she faintly recognized.


---


“Oh it smells so good, thank you so much!” Gretchen was more than thrilled with the fresh bread she had gotten. One of the best parts of the Autumn Festival was the food. It was always oh so delicious and left a smile on the face.

Gretchen tore right into the bread, her jaws making quick work of it before swallowing the contents down with a rather loud gulp!

Of course she paid no mind to the shrunken princess that had snuck aboard. How could she? She had no idea she was there. Just like any piece of food the princess was whisked into Gretchen's mouth where she would have to do her best to avoid being crunched up into fresh paste.

“Ahhh!” Gretchen swallowed the next bite, followed by another, and another. The entire time it was lost on her that she had just eaten the princess.


---


“Am I dead...?” Bethany had one heck of a ride and she just wanted it to be over. But here she was again, somehow still alive against all odds. But where was she now? Slowly she lifted her head only to see a looming face gazing down upon her.

It was woman, one with an aura that seemed to radiate something otherworldly. For a moment Bethany was even lost in her features. She was absolutely stunning. Long auburn hair fell down her back as brilliant white dress simply complimented her looks.

Her eyes shined like the sun and the smile on her lips seemed to put Bethany at ease.

“...Who are you?” Bethany turned over her shoulder only to now realize she was now resting in the palm of this woman.

“I am Allanyah.” Her words were that of a song as she spoke. They seemed to wrap around Bethany and hold her in a warm embrace. The princess shook her head. The name didn't ring a bell.

“...Who?” She narrowed her gaze as she peered back to the magnificent giant that towered over her.

“Has your kind forgotten me already? You know years ago this festival was thrown in my honor.” Allanyah never let the smile leave her lips as she spoke.

“...Look, I don't...What? I've had a long day, okay? Can we...just cut to whoever you are?”

“I'm the one who shrunk you, dear.” Bethany felt her eyes go wide as a chill shook her entire body.

“YOU DID THIS TO ME!? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO I AM!?' Rage seemed to pour out of the princess as she stomped her tiny foot into the massive palm that held her.

“Of course I do, you're third in line to take the throne. But it seems you still don't know who I am.”

“WHO CARES WHO YOU ARE! I AM OF NOBLE----OW!” Bethany cries were cut short as Allanyah lifted her free hand and swiftly delivered one hard flick to the girl's entire body.

“Silence girl. Anger me so and I'll devour you as well. Except this time I won't bring you back.” The smile upon Allanyah faded for a moment as her tone seemed to get deadly serious.

Bethany looked to the palm below and felt her heart racing in her chest. She truly didn't want to be eaten. Not again. Once was enough.

Once was too many times!

“Good, at least you can listen. What you should be asking is why I did this to you.” Bethany lifted her head as she found it tilting to the side. A look of pure stupidity plastered on her face.

“...Why you did this to me!?” Her anger was rising again as she felt her right hand forming into a fist.

“Being tiny, being stepped on, crushed, eaten. How did it make you feel?” Bethany was growing outraged. She had no time to play some stupid game with this...whoever this woman was! But still, she remembered her threat. And she wasn't looking to get eaten for a second time.

“...I don't know. Small? Invisible? Not heard?” She spoke in an almost mocking tone. But as she spoke her words became more sincere. “Insignificant...” Bethany looked up to the giantess and felt a frown forming on her lips. “That girl earlier...so that's who...” Allanyah said nothing, she simply nodded her head.

Bethany turned her eyes down and looked to the palm below her. “If that's how...I made her feel...” The princess let out a massive sigh as she began to admit to her errors. “I guess I owe her an apology.”


----


“...Great where am I now...W-Wait. I'm normal again! MY SIZE...MY HEIGHT! I'M BIG AGAIN!” Bethany broke out into a cheer as she began pressing her hands into her body. A huge grin broke over her face as she let out one massive sigh of relief. “OH THANK THE SWEET GODS!”

Of course by doing this she drew a small crowd, but she didn't mind. She simply ignored them and continued to feel pure elation coursing through her veins.

“YOU!” Bethany lifted her hand and pointed her index finger. There standing a few feet from her was Gretchen, the girl she had insulted earlier.

“...Me?” Gretchen spoke with a mouthful of bread as she patted her own chest. She blinked more than few times as she watched Bethany approach her.

“Yes you, you peas---G-Girl...” Bethany bit her tongue as she looked down, her eyes looking to Gretchen's bare feet. She noted the dirt caked to them and her toenails. Those nails seeming to be just a bit too large and in need of a trimming.

That's when it hit her.

“...Of course you're the one who stepped on me.”

“Beg pardon?” Gretchen must have been hearing thing. There was no way she heard a princess just say something about getting stepped on.

“Nothing, don't worry about it. Look I'm...” A slow breath left Bethany's lips as she locked eyes with Gretchen.

Gretchen remained still, rather confused as she looked at the princess.

“You're filthy, how about you let me clean you up?”

“...Seriously?” Gretchen didn't ever expect to hear those words coming out of a noble's mouth.

“Yes, it's the least I can do.” Bethany nodded her head and began to walk off, her hand waving a she motioned for Gretchen to follow her.

A sigh escaped her lips. This was indeed the least she could do. If she could at least get those feet cleaned she could spare someone else from having to endure them.