- Text Size +

Noir Giantess

 

 

It had been another wet, cold day for the city of Chicago. Rain had moved in early that morning and soaked everything it could touch. All day people were forced to scramble between cover to keep from being drenched. Those on the sidewalks keep a wide berth from the street, fearful of a car throwing water onto them. Thankfully, the rain did calm the city down with only a few gunshots ringing out here and there. By the time the rain slowed to a stop, the sun was already setting. Chicago would have to wait for tomorrow to be properly dried.

 

John Kelso had watched bits and pieces of the day from his top floor office. There had been nothing else to do save watch the city. Being a private eye meant long droughts of work and he was well into one such drought. Bills and invoices were piling up while his cash neared zero. If he didn’t get a case soon he’d have to skip town. Or worse, get a normal job.

 

Taking a long drink from his last bottle, Kelso leaned back and debating just going to sleep. His thoughts were interrupted as a small earthquake rattled the building. Kelso let out a long sigh as he waited, hoping the ne- Another rumble boomed out and the shake came… damn sooner than the last. Kelso shook his head before taking another swig. Perfect end to a perfect day.

 

Kelso didn’t need to look outside to know what was happening. One of the giants was heading into the city and panic was going through everyone. People would be fleeing the streets to clear the way and rushing to get into buildings. Police would simply watch as the giant moved through, crushing anyone too slow, or stupid, to move. Cars would be abandoned and plowed out of the way as the huge person headed for their destination. Kelso had seen it more times than he cared to count and had no interest in seeing it again. So, he just took another swig as he waited for the giant to finish their business.

 

The shaking was now jarring as each step caused the entire building to rattle. Kelso cursed his luck for being in the giant’s path as he watched various objects tumble to the ground. He thought about getting up to put them on the ground but what did it matter? He was, likely, going to have to leave it all in a few days anyway. Pouring another shot, Kelso started to reach for the glass when the rumbling suddenly, stopped. The room went horribly silent save for the ticking of his clock and the murmurs from outside.

 

The silence shattered as splintering wood, smashing masonry, and general chaos filled Kelso’s office. He covered his head as the points of four fingers burst through the top parts of his walls. They ripped upward and his roof came tearing off the building leaving a massive cloud of dust and debris to rain down on him. Kelso swore inwardly as he covered his mouth and held his breath. Thankfully, a huge gust of air blasted the cloud away and replaced it with an oddly sweet smell. Kelso blinked away the dust that had gotten in his eye before whipping some of it off his suit. Fucking hell…

 

“Mr. Kelso?” a booming female voice said from above Kelso’s head. Kelso whipped himself off a bit more before turning his chair to face the source of the voice. Above him was the giant, or rather giantess, who had been causing the commotion, and ruined his roof. She was dressed to kill with a low-cut black dress that showed off her amazing figure. A large black hat sat on her head while dark glasses made her eyes impossible to see. Her black hair fell down her face like dark waves while her lips were fiery red. She also still had his roof in her massive dainty hand.

 

Kelso pushed himself out of his seat and moved to the edge of his, now ruined, window. The giantess had to be near 60ft tall while his building was only three stores. That meant he was only about waist level with her, but he wasn’t about to just let her talk down to him. Doubly so when she needed his help.

 

“That’s right. John Kelso, Private Eye. What can I do for you, doll?” Kelso asked, brushing off a bit more of the dust that had collected on his favorite suit. The woman gave a hint of a smile at the doll comment before letting his roof plummet to the ground. She sat herself down on the building across from his, causing a stream of people to flee it, as she crossed her legs. A damn were they some legs…

 

“Doll? I would think you would have more respect for your betters, Mr. Kelso,” the woman said taking out a long cigarette. Kelso almost went to offer a light before common sense stopped him. She reached down and took a burning car, most likely her handiwork, and used it to light her cigarette.

 

“One of the many reasons I am just a PI and not a cop. But I do show my clients the proper respect, Ma’am,” Kelso said, leaving out what he really wanted to say. The giants could act like they were better than everyone else, but they bled and died just the same as anyone. Kelso had seen it first hand back in Europe during that damn war.

 

The giantess’ smirk didn’t fade as she took a drag and sent a wave of smoke onto Kelso’s office. Kelso had to fight not to cough as the air turned heavy and choking.

 

“I see… And why do you think I am a customer and not here to kill you?” she asked, leaning back and causing the building to groan and creak in protest.

 

“Cause I’d already be dead if you were. And not really any other reason someone as high up as you would come to see a random PI,” Kelso answered, waving some of the smoke away from his face. A familiar but long absent high started from the second-hand smoke and Kelso was grateful for it. Despite his own words, it was still nerve wracking to talk with someone who could crush you with their bare hands.

 

The woman’s smirk turned into a full smile and she gave another puff, this time away from Kelso. Seemingly satisfied, she reached into her huge cigarette case and plucked out a small package.

 

“Well reasoned. Yes, I do need your help, Mr. Kelso. I need you to find someone. I need him found and brought to me, alive,” his new client said. With a bit of trepidation, Kelso took the package from her massive hand and opened it. Inside was a German passport of a Tim Franz, picture included, along with a notepad with various information, including his last known location, and, finally, a phone number.

 

“That should contain everything you need to find him. I would explain it myself, but it’s hard to have a private conversation like this. The number is a special line. Call it if you need more information or have found him,” the Client added as Kelso nodded.

 

“Fair enough. I’ll assume he’s not of the… large variety,” Kelso said.

 

“No, he is not. I wouldn’t get a ‘random PI’ to hunt down one of my own,” the woman answered. Walked into that one…

 

“Then all we need to discuss is pay,” Kelso said. The woman raised an eyebrow from behind her glasses and leaned forward a bit. Kelso, though, didn’t budge and stared back at his reflection in her glasses. Finally, with a relenting sigh, the client leaned back and produced a sheet of paper from her cigarette case along with a pencil. She wrote a number onto the sheet before lowering it down for Kelso to see. Despite himself, Kelso couldn’t keep from stammering a bit at the number. He knew big people meant big money but that… His money worries would be over if he-

 

No… no this was bad. If she, whoever she was, was willing to offer this much… Kelso had enough sense to know the woman wasn’t telling him everything, a LOT of everything considering that number. Dammit what was he getting into? But that much money and his wrecked roof and… and her… Aww hell…

 

Kelso focused back on the now and noticed the woman had shifted a bit. She was closer to his building now and had made sure one of her hands was free. And she’d only need one to… Guess he didn’t have much of a choice, however he wasn’t about to just take it with no strings.

 

“I want a new roof too,” Kelso said as the woman’s shaded eyes stared down at him. She remained silent for a moment before letting out a slight chuckle.

 

“I suppose that’s fair. Agreed,” the woman said before withdrawing the paper. She touched it to the tip of her cigarette before letting its slowly burning husk float down to the street below. Kelso watched it go and wondered if that was him who had just been burned and left to die.

 

“I expect good work from you, Mr. Kelso. Don’t disappoint,” the wo- Mrs. Client, said as she stood. Without so much as another word or wave, she started off away from his office and to the edge of the city. Kelso watched her go for a few moments before letting out a long sigh. He plucked his last bottle off the floor where it had fallen and downed it. He’d really stepped in it this time…

 

With no other choice, Kelso sat down at his desk, took out the notepad, and got to studying his new job.