- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Again a slower chapter but this should hopefully give some guidance as to where this all is going. 

The crowds' cheers could be heard even without the aid of the intercom on the armored vehicle. People had gathered from across the world to watch John enter the portal.

"Like I needed more tension!" John chuckled as he turned on the ignition. Truth be told, John barely noticed the crowd due to his rising anticipation for what may exist on the other side. At what felt like a snail's pace, the MTAGV lined itself up with the portal. With nothing more than a knowing salute to the coordinator on the video panel, John slammed on the gas driving much faster than he was supposed to into the portal. John's whole world was filled with a bright light as his body was instantly transported an unknown amount of distance to the alien landscape awaiting him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What was that!" Lisa suddenly sat straight up as she could have sworn she saw a bright light come from beneath her skirt. She quickly attempted to regain her composure as she suddenly remembered where she was. Thankfully the rest of the class appeared to be too enthralled by the broadcast to notice her brief outburst.

As her heart rate settled back down, Lisa no longer felt like napping. Leaning back in her seat, she decided to see what everyone was so mesmerized by. As the blurry screens began to come into focus, Lisa shifted slightly in her chair. A small itch had appeared in her panties annoying her. "A hair must have caught when I sat up to fast she thought."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John opened his eyes to see a landscape like nothing he had ever seen before.

All around him, MASSIVE branchless light brown trees shot up into the sky where they curled and intertwined with each other almost blocking out the sky. The sky itself was dark and oppressive with a slightly pink tint. The atmosphere was heavy, almost like a solid cloud covered it. It must have been sunset, or sunrise, because the only light source was dim light coming from far in the distance which was heavily filtered by the pink atmosphere. John had seen pictures the probes gave back, but nothing could have prepared him for the utter scale of this planet.

"So this is what nature does when man's not there to destroy it." John marveled to himself in a moment of awe. A crackled voice from the radio pulled him out of his admiration however. "J-**-John! C-Can you read us John?" the coordinator's voice came in from over his radio. "We're getting the footage but we need you to confirm you can hear us!"

"I hear you loud and clear." John replied. "You have no idea what you're missing over there. Pictures do not do this justice!"

The sound of cheering came over the comms as the control center celebrated the first successful human to travel interdimensionally and live.

"Alright John." the coordinator replied. "First we're gonna need you to-" "I'm gonna go outside!" John interrupted getting up out of his chair.

"What!?! No! That's suicide John! You can't! We have a million tests we need to run and..."

The coordinator continued his scolding but John was no longer listening. He had already confirmed that the atmosphere was safe, and that there was no imminent threats on radar. Besides. This was the entire reason he was sent in the first place. Because there are some things you can never understand from behind a screen. There are some things you need to experience.

Pulling the heavy handle at the back of his MTAGV the door opened letting him be the first man to walk on this virgin soil.