- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

And so it begins. Mostly just setting characters and setting. It gets faster as it goes along

"Are you sure you don't have cold feet John?" The coordinator asked as John adjusted his suit.

"Are you kidding?" John replied with a smirk. "Today we're about to make history!"

Humanity had all but given up on searching for life and resources in distant galaxies. Space was simply too big. Between the energy and time needed to travel that far, humans seemed just incapable of ever leaving their own solar system. That was of course until an accident at a science lab studying the effects of quantum/nuclear power tore a whole in the space time continuum itself creating a portal.

The science community was quick to change their studies when this new opportunity arose. Scientists from around the world gathered to send probes through the portal to study the atmosphere and properties. The delicate control circuits of these drones would break as soon as they entered the portal, however they were still able to transmit their findings upon arrival. From this data, scientists determined that the portal exited into some sort of alien jungle. The air was breathable, but it was almost unbearably hot and humid. Scientists could not gather enough information as daily torrential downpours and earthquakes would break the delicate drones entirely. The science community needed something tougher to survive.

It had been almost a year since the discovery of the portal, and now John Stones; legendary explorer and seasoned survivalist, had completed his training to take on his most daring adventure ever. To travel through the portal to an alien land, in order to search for any signs of life or resources that could be used back on earth. It would be the first time a living creature had gone through the portal and there was a high chance he would never be able to return. That just made John all the more excited!

"Is the MTAGV ready?" John asked as he approached an engineer checking over his vehicle.

The Multi Terrain Anti Gravity Vehicle was one of the breakthroughs that made this trip possible. A large vehicle loaded out with innumerable sensors and harvesting tools meant that even a non-scientist like John could instantly know the value of any resource he had gathered no matter how alien. It held sufficient rations and supplies to allow John to survive the apocalypse, and was as armored as a tank. The true stroke of genius this vehicle provided however was the Anti Gravity chassis which allowed it to treat any surface it drove along as if it were driving on the ground.

"This baby could drive on the roof of a cave in Jupiter!" the engineer grinned handing John the keys. "The cameras are all working as well, and the news stations will be tapping into our feed for their report so... try not to do anything you'll regret. The world will be watching you know." "The world's about to become a much smaller deal!" John retorted with a smirk as he grabbed the keys.

John took in a deep breath before opening the door. "It's time!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Alright class! Everyone pay attention! Today is a momentous day!"

The teacher drolled on with his lecture as the AV team attempted to set up the livestream.

"Such a bore..." Lisa sighed as she twirled her blonde hair in between her fingers.

Today was a "momentous day" apparently, and because of that classes had been postponed to watch the livestream of some guy or another risking his life for some stupid sciency thing. Lisa didn't care... She was a liberal arts major. There were countless things she would rather be doing than this.

Taking a sidelong glance to her left she caught sight of Jack Carl, the class' most eligible bachelor.

"So many things I'd rather be 'doing'" Lisa smirked.

I a loud ring of feedback pulled her out of her fantasies however, as the livestream came to life showing the legendary John Stones on the screen.

"At least he's kind of cute." Lisa thought as she burrowed her head in her arms looking down at her lap. "Maybe I'll sneak a nap once everyone gets focused."