- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

All right! This chapter took way more time than I thought it would, but its here! I wanted so much things to develop and I think I finally decided the outline of the most important stuff... hopefully. Hope you like it and, as always, thanks for taking the time to read this story.

 

 

During the rest of the week after the incident at the classroom, things got pretty ackward pretty quickly within the Sullivan family, especially between Jake and Maggie; during all week he refused to speak with Maggie aside the strictly necessary, putting her ‘on ice’. On the other hand, Maggie wanted nothing but to talk to Jake. She even dismissed Nate and a school trip to the beach she so eagerly anticipated.

In the middle of this fight was Kate, and the possibility of the girl witnessing what happened that day worried the older brother more than anything. She was just thirteen years old and could easily be influenced by such scenes. What did she see? What were her thoughts about it? Did she tell anyone? Jake tried to probe for these informations, but to no avail. His younger sister avoided him as much as he avoided the middle one. Something that had never occurred before.

For the first time in recent years, Jake had doubts, blaming himself (and Maggie, especially Maggie) for the situation. As I was saying, Saturday came and things couldn’t be more ackward at the Sullivan house, with the exception of Janine, whose behavior couldn’t be more normal.

 

- Jake! Is the lunch not ready yet?! - the older sister screams at the top of her lungs from the sofa.

 

- Five more minutes Janine. And you know I am just a few footsteps away from you, right?

 

- Wow, someone has a mood.

 

- More importantly, what about Kate? I haven’t seen her since yesterday.

 

During all week Kate refused to speak with Jake more than the strictly necessary and avoiding every

 

- Huumm… who knows?

 

- You do.

 

- Do I?? Huumm… I might remember the midget saying something… – She pretends to be making a huge effort – Sorry, can’t do with an empty stomach.

 

Jake sights and rushes to finish Kate’s favorite meal: fried chicken with mashed potatoes, perfect for aspiring soccer players and children in growth like her. As he is about to bring Janine her plate, Maggie peeks from upstairs and comes down in a flash.

 

- Morning Jake! Had a good night of sleep?

 

Silence…

 

- Yes.

 

- Good! Good! Cause I need your help. Its urgent, really urgent! – She rushes to add.

 

Jake stares down at her, his cold gaze letting perfectly clear he did not quite believed what she was saying. – What is it?

 

Maggie smiles timidly, glad to have your attention even if just a bit. For almost the entire week you barely saw each other, let alone talk. Jake masterfully avoided her, but she knew that he would never ignore a plead for help  – One of my friends is throwing this big party tonight and…

 

- And you want me to drive you?

 

- Well… yeah, but not only that. I want you to come with me this time!

 

More silence. And a cricket sound.

 

- Sorry, I can’t.

 

- Why??

 

- I can’t.

 

- Jake!! Where is my food?! – This time was Janine who interjected.

 

The boy realizes he still had the plate of food and hurried to deliver it, but Maggie blocked the way. An unusual stern look all over her face

 

- Leave it there. If she wants it, she can come pick it up herself.

 

Janine already got up from the sofa and stomps her way into the kitchen – It seems its truth blondes are a tad dumber than average after all.

 

- Oh please! – Maggie rolls her eyes in that typical annoying fashion only teenages can do – Everyone knows YOU are the dumbass of the family. Speaking of which, how are the applications for college coming along? 

 

Janine is now red and trying to grab her sister's pajama collar, but Jake intercedes and stands between the two.  At the same time Maggie press on, making what is supposed to be an imitation of Janine scratching her nose.

 

- JANINE! DON’T!!

 

Jake sees the punch coming and tackles Janine to cover for Maggie but is too slow to evade. Everything goes dark. The last thing he is able to hear is the sound of glass shattering and Maggie frantically screaming his name. “JAKE!!” A sharp pain pass through his head and then nothing…

……………..

When Jake woke up, he is meet with an unfamiliar ceiling. He looks around trying to grasp his surrounds. By the softness of it, he must have been carried to a bed. Then a muffled sound picks his attention. 3 seconds pass by before he realizes there is a girl dozing off on his naked torso. Her golden locks sprawls in every direction and he sees a single strand is curled around the girl tiny red lips.

Jake wait several minutes just affectionately patting her head, not wanting to ruin such cute image, until Maggie also wakes up. His sister’s bright blue eyes are cloudy at first, but immediately lit up upon seeing him awake.

 

- Hey – he chuckles – did you carried me here? It’s usually the other way around.

 

Maggie doesn’t answer or laugh. Instead, she averts her eyes and sobs.

 

- I thought you were dead. – Her sobs transforms into full-fledge crying, a lot of snot starts running down her nostrils.

 

Jake realizes he's not the only one shirtless, Maggie is also only in her underwear. “Why?! Where the hell are we?!”

 

- Maggie… its all right, I am all right, but, please, you need to calm down – He looks around again and take notice of the posters hanging on the wall: all of football players and half nude women. A boy’s room – tell me what happened, where are we?

 

But Maggie was in no conditions to provide any answers. Instead, she just throws her arms around his neck, sobbing even more. On that moment, with her head hanging loosely just a few millimeters of his face,  Jake smelled the strong scent of alcohol, making a second realization: his sister had been drinking and was most likely drunk.

 

- You hate me, don’t you?!

 

- No Maggie, no! I don’t hate you! So please, I need you to get a hold of yourself!

 

- Liar! You don’t want me near, you don’t talk, you don’t even want to drive me anymore! You hate me!!!

 

Feeling guilty for her sorry state, moved by the tears, a desperate Jake hugs Maggie back. He tries to ignore the sensation of her very firm bust brushing directly against his naked skin, but Maggie squeezes even tighter.

 

- You don’t hate me? Really??

 

- Never! You are my cute little sister for Christ sake! If anything I… I love you very much.

 

On that exact moment Jake made his third realization of the day: Maggie was taller than him. No. She wasn’t just taller, she was getting taller!!

 

Chapter End Notes:

Yeah, things will get even more awkward for Jake now kkkkk. I would like to know what you people prefer: the hero to shrink or the heroine to grow? 

Please, leave a comment even if its just to say you didn't like the story at all. 

Thanks again for reading. I will see you in the next chapter :)