- Text Size +
Jen’s toes scrunched as she finished lacing her sneakers. They were a little tighter than she remembered, not that she’d broken them in at all. Jenn never worked out, a relentless metabolism rendered her waifish, no matter what she ate.

She stretched her toes, pushing them against the front of the sneakers. Jen’s feet were the only part of her larger than average for someone her stature - a monumental Size 6. Shoes were one of the few parts of her wardrobe not purchased from the petite, or even kids, sections.

Jen peered around the locker room, unable to resist comparing herself to the other women. Apparently all the most absurdly fit and beautiful people came to the gym on Saturday morning.

Dread mounted as Jen watched the tall, athletic figures in form fitting tops and leggings around her. The short and slim Jen never felt so out of place in her oversized black shorts and baggy pink t-shirt with BEAST MODE in big block letters across the front. Annie bought it last time she dragged Jen to the gym. Jen didn’t find it quite as hilarious as Annie, but it was the only workout shirt she owned.

“Ready?” Annie stood at the locker room exit. Her thick thighs and glutes were packed into tight leggings and a cutoff shirt put her toned arms on full display.

“If I’m not, can we go home?” Jen’s eyes trailed a rack of bronzed abs passing by.

“Nope.” Annie grabbed Jen’s hand and pulled her up like she weighed nothing. “If you hate it that much, I promise I’ll never ask again.”

“Okay.” Jen offered best faux-excited smile.

“Cool shirt, by the way.” Annie grinned.

Jen groaned and followed Annie out to the main gym area, filled the ambient sound of sneakers pounding treadmills and weights clanging against each other in rhythmic succession. The air was stale with the faint smell of sweat and self imposed accountability.

“Heather!” Annie waved to another woman as they approached.

Heather was a bit shorter and a bit leaner than Annie. Her dark skin beaded with sweat and darker hair was pulled back into a high ponytail. She leaned against some intimidating looking machine, taking the last sips of a water bottle. “Hey Annie!” She looked down to meet Jen. “You must be Jen! Annie’s talks about you all the time!”

Blush raced to Jen’s cheeks. “She does?”

“Oh. my. god. That shirt!” Heather voice rose like she was speaking to a child. Literally talking down to Jen. “You are so adorable!”

Jen folded her arms across her chest and stared down at her sneakers. The outlines of her toes emerged as she wiggled them. “Thanks,” she muttered.

“I finally convinced Jen to join me again,” Annie said. “She’s a little apprehensive, but I hope she’ll come around.”

“That’s awesome!” Heather clasped her hands together. “Exercise is great for you mental health! A healthy and active body is an important factor to reducing stress!”

Jen’s stomach clenched and skin prickled. Did this Heather know about Jen’s insecurities and anxieties? Or was she just making a general comment? “Good to know,” she said to the floor. God her shoes were so tight. Tighter even than when she first put them on.

“Good luck!” Heather said with an excited thumbs up. “The only thing stopping you is not starting at all!”

“How does Heather know about my anxiety?” Jen said softly, glancing up at Annie as they went further into the gym.

“Heather’s a therapist,” Annie said. “Since you refuse to see one, I’ve been picking her brain a little.”

“I can’t afford a therapist, even if I needed one.” Jen hated the idea of opening herself up to a stranger, especially one being paid to listen. No one but Annie would care about her problems unless they were paid to pretend they did. And the very idea of exposing herself like that was absolutely terrifying.

“Heather offered to see you once for free,” Annie said. “Might be worth it just to get some suggestions on managing your anxiety.”

It hurt Jen knowing she confided in Annie about her many fears and insecurities only for Annie to turn around and tell someone else. Even if she meant well. Not that Jen would confront Annie about it, she would just push her hurt down and pretend everything was fine.

“I’m only trying to help.” Annie said with a tone of genuine concern. “I just want to figure out some way to make you feel better.”

Jen forced a smile. “I’m not mad,” she said, even though she kinda was. “Thank you for trying.”

“Alright, enough talking. Let’s get down to business.” Annie and Jen stopped at a pair of benches and a rack of dumbbells. Annie picked up two of the smallest ones and put them down at Jen’s feet. “These are five pounds each.”

Jen scanned the gym for people watching. Everyone seemed engaged in their own workouts, but Jen knew soon they’d all be staring at her, judging as she struggled to lift even the most meager weights, snickering at the small, pathetic woman trying desperately to make herself bigger.

Annie sat on the bench next to Jen. “We’ll start easy. Five reps.” Annie lay back and lifted two weights much larger than Jen’s with both arms and touched them above her chest. “Just like that.” Annie put the weights down and stood over Jen. “I’ll spot you.”

Jen lay down with her arms dangling off the bench. She looked up at Annie, towering in all her buff glory, giving Jen her most confident “you got this” look.

Jen grab the weights. Five reps. She pulled them up, gritting her teeth. Slowly her trembling arms rose with the weights, until they touched just above her chest. Jen let out an audible gasp of relief.

“Nice job!” Annie cheered. “Let them down slowly. Only four more to go!”

Jen gradually let the weights settle on the floor and pulled them back up again.

And again.

And again.

Jen’s whole body quaked by the final rep, her BEAST MODE shirt completely soaked through. Her heart galloped so quickly it was going burst from her chest, her arms shuddered with more pain than she had ever felt before.

“Fucking get it girl!” Annie hollered. “You’re almost there!”

Jen touched the weight over her chest and promptly dropped them with a loud enough clang, howling her most daintily triumphant howl.

“Sorry, sorry.” Annie waved off the other gym goers who looked over. “She’s new.”

Jen sat up on the bench, sweat dripping down her face, arms like jelly, hands trembling at her knees. Her whole body shuddered with each ragged breath.

She did it.

Jen’s body felt different even after just that little bit of exercise. Sure everything hurt and she felt like she was going to die, but she felt empowered. Stronger! And... bigger? Her shirt was a little tighter around her chest and shoulders, everything felt just slightly smaller. Probably just the sweat making the clothes cling to her body.

“You crushed it!” Annie cheered. “You’re a natural!” Annie raised her hand. “Give me a high five!”

Jen rose and gave Annie’s hand a halfhearted clap. “Can we go...” Jen took another gasping breath. “...home now?”

Annie didn’t reply.

Jen glanced up at Annie stared down at her. She felt an anxious flutter. “What?”

“You’re taller,” Annie said flatly.

Jen let out a nervous little half snort, half chuckle. “I guess it’s working already!” She flexed her still nonexistent biceps.

“I’m not joking.” Annie placed her hand flat on top of Jen’s head and slowly moved it level with her face. “Look. Your head usually only reaches my chin. It’s level with my nose now.”

“C’mon Annie, stop it.” Tears pricked Jen’s eyes. All of the pride of completing the reps vanished in a instant. She shuffled her feet, looking down at the pronounced outline of her toes through the sneaker fabric. She noticed one of the laces had snapped and lay across the gym floor. “It’s not funny. Please don’t joke about me getting taller when you know how self conscious I am about my height.”

“I’m really not joking, Jen.” Annie’s tone matched the seriousness of her words. She stepped closer to Jen so they were only a couple inches apart. “Look.”

Jen did. She saw Annie’s mouth directly in her line of vision. For first time she didn’t have to look up to see her friend speak.

Jen’s eyes widened as Annie’s lips parted and said the words.

“Dude. You grew.”