- Text Size +
Story Notes:
***

Hey all! It’s been a long time! Last year I finally wrote the final chapter of the Maggie saga and ever since I’ve had the itch to write a new story.

This one will be your basic small woman gets big story, with all the associated tropes. Mostly gentle and focusing on the relationship between the two main characters. Pretty much winging it here, so let’s hope for the best!

***

Jennifer Mills trudged out from the stock room. She checked the inventory seven times to be sure, but there were still a number of capri pants and tank tops missing. She checked seven times because if they really were missing, she needed to ask her coworkers about it.

Jen hated confrontation. She waited until the last possible minute on Friday afternoon to tackle the case of the missing clothing.

Her 4’11” stature and thin frame didn’t exactly make her an intimidating figure. Her voice pitched when flustered and she always stumbled over her words. A lifetime of being ignored at best, actively being bullied for her size and timidity at worst, had destroyed Jen’s confidence.

She peeked at the inventory list on her tablet for an eighth time to make sure. Three pants and four tops that should be there weren’t.

Jen took a deep breath and ducked into one of the changing rooms. “Be confident. Be cool. Be brave.” She stood for another second, staring at herself in the mirror. Straight brown hair fell around a round-ish face to her shoulders. Soft features held brown eyes, blush already rising on her cheeks.

Jen pushed up on her toes, clad in tan flats. “Be big.”

Out from the dressing room she went. She started with the cashiers, waiting until they finished their transactions and all customers were out of earshot. None had any info on the missing clothes. Next were the store floor attendants, if someone was acting suspicious, surely one of them would have noticed. None had. Jen hadn’t exactly pressed the issue with any of her coworkers, short questions offered in small, shaky voice.

There was one more person to ask. The most dreaded coworker of all.

Monica Keller. She was tall, she was beautiful and she was the boss’s daughter. Monica was nineteen, sort of went to the local community college, and her mom, Diana was the store manager. She hired her daughter, against some kind of nepotism law, Jen was sure. Diana wasn’t a bad boss, she treated Jen well enough. Her daughter, however, was a fucking nightmare.

“There’s so many losers on that app and I get messages from like all of them.” Monica held a top up against herself and posed in front of a mirror. She didn’t so much “work” at the store, but float around, chatting with friends, trying on the merchandise and trying to look busy when her mom showed up.

“You just ignore them, right?” Her friend asked.

“Fuck no.” Monica was disgusted by the very question. Her friend flinched. “Some 5’10” nerd doesn’t deserve to messages me and they need to know it.”

“You’re so mean,” her friend half-giggled.

“Excuse me, Monica,” Jen peered over the edge of her tablet. Even pushed up on her toes, Jen’s head just barely crested Monica’s shoulder.

“I’m honest.” Monica picked up another top, ignoring Jen. She grinned. “Maybe a little mean too.”

“Can I ask you a couple questions?” Jen persisted. “There’s some missing inventory and I...”

“What about this one?” Monica held the shirt up to her friend that was white with wide blue and orange stripes.

“...actually that style is one of the missing ones and...”

“What the fuck did you say?” Monica’s attention snapped toward Jen in a instant.

Jen stumbled back into a rack of shirts, face turning a immediately bright red. “I um there’s missing shirts and-”

“You’re accusing me of stealing them?” Monica loomed over Jen as she shrank back into the veil of stylish but affordable shirts.

“No! Of course not!” Jen’s voice pitched, fumbling fingers almost dropped the tablet. “I’m just-“

“You’re just calling me a thief, when you’ve obviously just fucked up your own job!” Monica bent over so she and Jen were face to face. “You know who I am right?”

Jen lifted the tablet over her face to shield herself from Monica’s rage. She swallowed hard, tears filling her eyes. So much for being confident. Or brave. Or big. “I-I’m sorry to bother you.”

“And don’t ever bother me again, you little nobody.” Monica jammed a finger into Jen’s face. “Got it?”

“Yes.” Jen shrank further away from Monica, ducking beneath the clothing rack.

Jen skulked back to the store room. “What is wrong with you?” She plopped, slump shouldered onto a cardboard box of clothes, her weight barely denting it. Her feet dangled a couple inches above the floor. She clutched her tablet with tiny, trembling hands. She caved so quickly and so easily as soon a Monica challenged her.

“Why can’t you just grow up and be confident?” She asked herself, but already knew the answer. She was small and weak and timid and that’s just they way things were. Jen was a cowardly, little nobody.

She logged back into the inventory software and marked the missing clothes as found.

***

Jen was curled up in her pajamas on the sofa, watching TV, when her roommate Annie also came home from work too.

Annie chucked her bag across the room and crashed onto the couch next to Jen. Annie stretched and yawned, Jen smelled the aroma of coffee wafting off her uniform. “Busy day.” She glanced at Jen and smiled. “How was yours?”

Jen shrugged. “Kinda bad.”

Annie’s eyebrow arched. “Kinda bad?”

Jen squirmed. She and Annie we’re best friends - she was Jen’s only friend really - and they shared everything, but it was still embarrassing to confess she was bullied at work. Again.

“Monica Keller,” Jen said softly.

“You let the brat boss you around again?” Annie sat up on the couch, tucking her legs beneath her and faced Jen. “Isn’t she like sixteen or something?”

“She’s nineteen.”

“You’re twenty-five!”

Jen demurred. “She’s scary.”

“You want me to kick her ass?” Annie flexed her bicep. Annie wasn’t quite as tall as Monica, but definitely buffer. When she wasn’t busting her ass at the coffee shop, she was busting it at the gym. She was still huge compared to Jen, who in addition to her meager height, had little muscle definition to speak of. Jen only managed the store’s inventory, never actually moved any of it.

“No!” Jen yelped. “I’ll get fired and you’ll go to jail! We barely make rent on both our incomes now!” She curled herself up tighter and smaller. “I’m tired of being being so anxious all the time. I’m tired of being walked all over because of my size. I don’t want to feel this way anymore,” Jen said softy.

Annie scooted across the couch and wrapped her arms around Jen. “And you shouldn’t have to. Quit that shitty job. We’ll figure something out.”

Jen closed her eyes and sighed. “I can’t. We need the money.” She felt safe in Annie’s strong arms. She want to stay there forever and not face the world outside her embrace ever again.

Jen’s heart thudded in her chest. A soft warmth bloomed between her thighs.

Jen never shared her true feelings with Annie. One secret she still held. The truth was, Jen only felt big when she was with Annie. She felt like she was swelling just then, filling out her baggy pajamas, warm skin shifting against fuzzy fabric as her heart pounded faster, the heat between her legs reaching a unbearable pitch.

“Ow!” Annie suddenly pulled away from Jen, rubbing her jaw. “Dude, did you just headbutt my chin?”

Jen rubbed the top of her head too. “I didn’t mean to.” She tugged down the bottom of her pajama top, which felt a little more snug than a moment ago and shuffled her butt against the couch, trying to dislodge an unexpected wedgie. “Sorry.”

“Stop apologizing,” Annie scolded her. “If you’re not going to quit, you gotta stand up to that girl.” Annie placed her strong hands on Jen’s shoulders. Annie’s hands were so large compared to Jen’s tiny body, her thumbs almost met at the center of Jen’s sternum. “Monday. We’ve got the whole weekend to prepare.”

More like a whole weekend to worry herself sick about it, Jen thought.

“You’re coming of the gym with me tomorrow too!” Annie stood with her hands on her hips. “No more excuses! I can’t make you taller, but I can make to stronger!”

Jen want to try and get in shape, but was also terrified of going to the gym. All the big strong people casting their judgment on tiny, frail Jen. They knew she didn’t belong there and she knew it too. “... but I-“

“No buts!” Annie pulled Jen off the couch by the shoulders. “We’re doing it!”

The top of Jen’s head was just about level with Annie’s chin. She smoothed her pajama top back down, which was riding up again for some reason. Jen looked up at her friend’s green eyes gleaming with confidence and excitement.

Jen groaned. She wanted to argue with Annie, but knew she would just to go along with her in the end. Why even bother? Hopefully the gym wouldn’t be very busy on a Saturday morning.