- Text Size +

“Hello Caleb, how are you doing?” Asked Audrey with a will practiced but multi-purposed tone. There was so many emotions running through her with just that phrase that it was hard to distinguish a primary emotion.

 

It had been 6 months and in that time he had all but mastered his new body. There was still a bit to learn, but he could move and live normally. He had a few instances where his organic body was injured by his artificial one, like the time he jumped and his artificial leg could handle the landing, but his organic one couldn’t and broke. However those times were very few and far between. His current favorite hobby was altering his appendages and seeing what they could do. They gave him a computer to play with. After the first few broken keyboards, he got used to it and could actually work faster than he could before. The music he was capable of was harder to get back, but he was making progress with that as well.

 

The mental aspects of his recovery were significantly slower. Every single day he received a visit from a giantess, and every single day he always picked Audrey. Rachel was not allowed to see him, despite Miranda insisting that Rachel was just as eager and would be just as respectful. He just couldn’t fathom it. It took him a while just to get to not shake around Audrey. He didn’t really trust her, but he definitely didn’t trust Rachel. Audrey could turn a switch and be completely professional, even before his incident she could do that. Rachel was more emotions based. If something got her in a mood, she acted. He had a feeling, that Rachel would break every rule they set up within the first 5 minutes… and much more.

 

Audrey on the other hand had made progress with him. Until today, she only came in and sat down. Slowly but surely, Caleb was moving from interaction levels. First was just sitting there and he trying to pretend she wasn’t there to calm himself. After that was accepting she was in the room and not threating him… yet. Next was taking passing looks at her as she entered and remaining as calm as possible, regulating his heartrate as little as possible to have the idle presence of her be more normal. The last step before their current one was acknowledging her as she came into the room. A simple head nod from them both or something similar when she entered or left was the extent of that. He also stole glances at her, making eye contact, than adverting his gaze.

 

He had to admit, the feeling he got when he had acknowledged her for the first time in this hospital room was a very special moment. She had just about exploded with joy, but contained herself and sat down, smiling with a few tears in her eyes. At first he was surprised at the response, being so used to scorn and rage for so long. But this version of her, the happy and motherly one, was… refreshing to see. As time went on, he still remembered what she did to him, just looking at his hands was enough to make sure of that. However, he was starting to think of her more than just the giantess monster that took his hope, music, and life away from him and would do so again.

 

The feeling of belonging… he tried pushing it down and reminding himself that he didn’t deserve it or need it. But who was he lying to? Himself? He desperately desired that connection again. He was just unsure if he’d get it, or if he deserved it, but he did desire it none the less. So, today was another big step. It might not have been with Rachel, which he was glad for, but it was verbal speech with one of his two tormentors. The first interaction was already going better than he thought. He thought for sure the first words out of her mouth were going to be, “Stand up Bug.” However, with her voice and tone in the opposite direction, it was a good feeling. He just hoped he didn’t regret it. Miranda was already holding his hand with one of hers, as well as keeping him from standing like he used to. She had to break those habits and was trying to do so a supporting as possible.

 

“H-Hello…?” He replied back.

 

He’d been practicing with Miranda, talking less formally and was making progress there as well, as evidence to her hand in his without him breaking it with the anxiety of this situation. Still, this situation was hard to take for him and it seemed they all knew it.

 

“I… I’m ok.” He finished after a significant pause.

 

He let out a sigh as he hadn’t messed up this start too much. He was still expecting a flick for speaking out of turn, or at all. He flinched a little do to this, but Miranda held firm and he was able to ground himself. However, he did catch himself wondering if he wasn’t in a hospital, would she be restraining herself from punishing him?

 

“Go on… you can do it.” Miranda whispered, knowing that any escalated tone could and would set him off. That first visit had taken a few days to process and he still could be set off into panic if they weren’t careful, especially with giantesses. They had been practicing this interaction and both knew what was next.

 

“H-How are… you?” He labored out, giving her permission to speak… or opportunity to speak in reply to something he asked of Audrey.

 

“I’m doing ok as well. Caleb, I’m…” She started, then stopped herself. She shook her head as she stopped from saying what she wanted and kept to the script. This was her chance to express just how sorry she was about everything to him. Miranda had been telling him for a while, but she knew it needed to come from her. She needed to say it and he needed to hear it from her directly. But now wasn’t the time for that. This was a huge step, and she couldn’t mess it up now. So she continued with, “It is wonderful to see you!”

 

“I…” He started, but was thrown off by what she almost said. His eyes had read her lips past when she stopped and knew she was apologizing, but that wasn’t part of today’s conversation.

 

His mind started going down a rabbit hole of emotions and questions. Why was she trying to deviate from their treatment? Why was she sorry? Why did she want to speak with him? Did she want to give him hope again? Just to crush it… again? However, just as this train of thinking started to escalate, Miranda put her hand that was on his shoulder over his eyes, shutting down the stimulation from them. This was a technique they had to block his stimulation, if it got too much for him. It usually assisted with stopping his train of thought. He could then recoup and try again on whatever he was doing.

 

“Caleb, I’m here. You’re safe. She isn’t trying to hurt you. Remember, respond and move on. We will get past this. You are not being trapped. What is the next to say?” She soothed and asked in a calm tone to his ears. His breathing that had escalated calmed as she spoke softly to him. “Are you ready to continue?”

 

“Yes, Ma’am… Miranda. I’m ready.” He said, to which Miranda removed her hands from his eyes, letting data come back in and he looked back up at Audrey to see that was looking at him with a worried face. His eyes categorized the emotion as a split between panic and worry. As if she had messed up something extremely important. He shook his head, like she had done, then continued with, “It is good to see you too.”

 

“Good, that is good Caleb.” Miranda assured. She looked up at Audrey and nodded to the seat. Audrey took a seat without hesitation. They both saw him look down, sigh, then relax a bit. It was as if he had just took part in an all day mental battle or marathon and was glad it was over.

 

The rest of the visit was a lot of silence and Miranda talking to Caleb about normal things. How things in the world was doing. What he had been playing on his computer. What he ate that day, that one got a laugh as they both knew he was getting hospital food. They even talked about the weather. Anything that was normal, showing it was ok to talk casually with others and when there was a giantess present.

 

Audrey just watched them and smiled whenever Caleb looked up at her from his position. She had been warned by Miranda not to deviate from the script and now saw why she said that. He wasn’t ready for an organic conversation with her, but he could follow orders and talk about what was told to him with her. It was smart and she was glad that Miranda was making progress with him, and as a result so was she.

 

She saw how panicked he had gotten when she had deviated for just a few words. Without eyelids to close, it was easy to see that his thoughts were declining quickly at that point and Miranda was able to get him back with the hand over the eye technique. She then felt such joy when he heard him laugh when Miranda and him were talking, even if it was only for a moment. He had a little happiness while she was in the room. That made this whole trip worth it. Eventually it was time for her to leave, to which Caleb turned to address her and let her address him again.

 

“Thank you for having me. I will see you tomorrow.” She said as upbeat as she could to him.

 

“Yes, thank you for coming. See you tomorrow.” He said, without the attitude she had. It was definitely forced, but there was a tone in there that got Audrey to smile as she nodded and headed toward the door, it opened, then closed behind her. She heard it lock behind her and she sighed out a sigh of relief, then ended with a smile. It wasn’t much, but for her it was everything. He had just talked to her and not broken down.

 

She remembered when her mere voice was enough to kill him, literally flatlining him with panic. Now she was able to talk to him, be it a rehearsed conversation, but still. This was the first good day she’d had for a while. She knew though, Rachel was watching and it was still hard for her to not be picked to go see him, day after day. She understood and accepted why, but it was draining on her just as much. She knew that Miranda now needed to be with Caleb for the next few hours to help him stabilize all of this as well as give him the conversation for tomorrow, so she started walking to her office, where Rachel would be waiting.

 

She arrived right outside her office, then went in. She looked for Rachel on the couch, where she usually watched the feed of her visiting Caleb, but she wasn’t there. She then heard a crash from the other room. Audrey had a few things in her office so she could remain concentrated and not give up health or such things. One of those things was a training room, to keep fit. Both Audrey and Rachel had been using it to be in pristine condition when Caleb needed them. Audrey walked over and entered that room just in time to see Rachel punch a punching bag again.

 

“Not watching Caleb’s visit?” Audrey asked, not concerned but just curious. Usually Rachel was glued to the feeds when Caleb was visiting with Audrey.

 

“I watched, saw everything, then came in here…” Rachel said as she danced around the bag, then sent another set of punches and a kick at it. Her now highly toned and flawless body tensed as she wailed on the bag, sweat dripping from her. If there had been a guy in the room, they would be gawking beyond belief at the glistening giantess in her sports bra and shorts.

 

“…And…???” Audrey asked, knowing there was more to it. Sure, Rachel was obsessed with being fit for Caleb, but she usually needed to know every detail and eagerly awaited Miranda’s report on the situation, no matter how redundant. This half question got Rachel to stop and hug the bag, giving it a tap, then hug it again.

 

“What can I say Mother? He doesn’t want to see me. It’s been months, and he hasn’t gotten any closer to wanting anything to do with me. Yet he’s talking to you…” She said, then slid down the bag to her knees, then turned and put her back against it so she was looking over and up to her Mother. “…how was it, really?”

 

“Rachel…” Her Mother soothed as she came over to her and sat next to her, pulling her into a side embrace that Rachel accepted and clung to her Mother. It didn’t seem to bother Audrey that her daughter’s sweat was now dampening her nice dress she had worn to visit Caleb. “You know that he’s getting better. Sure, it felt very good that he was willing to talk to me. I almost…”

 

“I know Mom, I saw.” Rachel said at her Mother’s pause. “He probably red your lips too, knowing what those eyes are capable of. Still, it must’ve been nice to be there with him. I even saw him laugh. That was nice to see, must’ve been even nicer in person.”

 

“It was, not going to lie about that. I felt like I was a part of it, yet I knew I wasn’t the source of the happiness he felt, even for a second. I know that is Miranda’s way of moving his mind forward, being more comfortable with one of us in the room while being able to relax a bit.” Audrey responded with a smile, remembering the event. It was rather special.

 

“Mom, will I be able to see him soon?” Rachel asked, looking up and into her Mother’s eyes with a small amount of hope, but knew it was a touch question.

 

“I do think that day is a lot closer. But, you need to be ready. I almost ruined things with a simple apology. That would’ve put us both back where we started, especially without Miranda being there. I know you, and I think Caleb does to, that you are more emotional about things than I am. On the surface I think he doesn’t want you reaching out and hurting him again, even if there is rules. However, I think underneath he wants to make sure that when he sees you, he is ready to receive you and not be put into a panic again. I’m just safer at the moment, and valid practice for when he meets you again.” Audrey tried to explain. She didn’t want to make her feel like she was failing.

 

Even she, her Mother, had to admit that she was now an extremely attractive young woman. Rachel had worked hard to get to this point. Lately even she had been trying to track down any and all memories she could find of her and Caleb from the good days. She had found a few things. Such as a yearbook from the school they went to. A digital photo album that she had missed when destroying everything that she printed out and looked at every night. She reapplied and printed their adoption papers when they had adopted him and put it in a frame again. She still was looking, and anyone could tell she was working hard for Caleb… except the only person that mattered of course… that being Caleb himself.

 

“I know Mother, it’s just hard.” Rachel replied, looking down and hugging into her Mother again. “Thank goodness for Miranda. She is officially my second favorite human.”

 

“I know hun, and I agree. We wouldn’t be anywhere with Caleb without her. We should definitely make it up to her when we get the chance.” Audrey said, stroking her Daughter’s sweat filled and wet hair out of her face and soothing her. They stayed on the floor of her personal gym for a while then eventually got up and they both went home together.

 

Caleb on the other hand was recovering for the visit and the stimulation of actually talking to Audrey this time. Miranda had grounded him and he wasn’t really sure how he should be feeling about this. His heart longed to just give in and let her be in his life again, but he just couldn’t get past himself at the moment.

 

“What’s wrong Caleb?” Miranda, seeing the difference in his behavior again.

 

“Miranda?” Caleb asked, as if asking if he could ask her a big question.

 

“Yes Caleb, what do you need?” She asked, suddenly very attentive to him and whatever he was about to say. It was one of the things that he liked about her now. Most people heard what he was saying, but then drew their own conclusions to what he actually meant. Miranda actually listened to him and treated him like he mattered as a person. It was like he was the only person in the world for Miranda in moments like this.

 

“What would you do? I don’t know what to do.” Caleb started, trying to find a way to ask how to handle all the thoughts going on in his head at the moment.

 

“Are you talking about Audrey and Rachel?” Miranda asked to clarify.

 

“Yes. I… I know I’m not ready to see R-Rachel…” He said, stuttering just saying her name. A few flashes of her torturing him went before his eyes.

 

This was different for him than anyone else. His new eyes could actually bring up the images he was remembering, as if watching a POV movie of what happened. He sometimes could feel what was going on. It was like a phantom pain home movie in his head. He shook his head to think about something else. It took a few tries, but he was able to continue. It got quicker when he felt Miranda’s hand over his eyes again.

 

“Thanks Miranda.” Caleb stated to her current action. She was very attentive to him and it showed in his sanity.

 

“Anytime Caleb.” Miranda stated as she took her hand away and listened intently to him again.

 

“My heart seems like it wants to let them in. My mind knows how they thought what they thought. From what you’ve said, they both want nothing more than to be in my life again. I just… I can’t forget. I see it, all of it… all the time. I can’t get past it. What would you do?” He asked.

 

“First, Caleb, you know part of my answer. I’ve said it multiple times.” She said, paused for his comfort, then continued, “I’m not you. I would’ve wrote all of us off and dove into a pit by myself. I might’ve even given up on everything. I am not you, and I never will be. However, given the circumstances. Do you trust Audrey?”

 

“I… I’m not sure. I think so. She hasn’t broken the rules completely yet. I can at least trust her to be professional and invested in some way.” Caleb answered.

 

“So, hear me out ok?” Miranda asked, knowing this would be hard to suggest and for him to hear.

 

“Ok…?” Caleb asked, knowing he wasn’t going to like it. But Miranda had earned some blind faith in her expertise in dealing with him.

 

“What if both of them came in?” She suggested. She immediately saw his change in expression at the suggestion. “Hold on Caleb, let me explain. I don’t mean both interact with you. I’m saying, what if we use Audrey as a limiter on Rachel.”

 

“What do you mean?” Caleb asked, very concerned about this suggestion.

 

“I agree with you. Rachel would probably be very emotional and break rules the first go around. But what if Audrey was there with her to keep her in line. You wouldn’t have to interact with either of them, but they would both be in the room with you. That way you could get a feel of the situation.” Miranda suggested gently, as if it was such a light suggestion that it would blow away with the air condition ventilation if he wanted. She was very good with inciting certain emotions in him. There was still a generous amount of emotional baggage with Audrey, and an insane amount with Rachel. However this made him think about it more rationally.

 

“I… I’m just not sure I’m ready for that yet.” Caleb answered, unsure even more now. “Is that ok?”

 

“More that ok, Caleb. I am always here for you. Perks to being your shrink is I have control over who sees you to a certain extent. I will not suggest something that will hurt you. Just think about it, ok?” Miranda requested and soothed. She knew that he would be thinking about this anyway. So asking like this was a way of moving forward.

 

“Ok, I… I’ll think about it.” He relented. His eyes started darting again with the possibilities and Miranda quickly put her hand on his eyes again. She saw his breathing return to normal and it was a few minutes before he responded. “Thanks again Miranda.”

 

“Of course Caleb. I’ll always be here for you.” Miranda stated, then removed her hand. She knew she would be here all night, and that was ok for her. She was starting enjoy Caleb’s company, perhaps even more than she was supposed to. But, like Audrey, Rachel, and her had said many times when it came to her effort and love in general to Caleb. ‘he deserves all he can get.’

  

 

Chapter End Notes:

As always, please let me know what you think. I value all of your feedback and I love writing. I was glad I could get some time to post another chapter! Hopefully more to come!