- Text Size +
"ShrinkGirl Begins"

Chapter 1: Make a Wish

My name's Alexis Cole. But my friends call me Lexi. Actually sometimes they call me A/C because of my initials... and because I'm so cool. Okay, that was bad. Let me start over.

My name's Lexi, but I'm not exactly your typical girl. I figure that much is obvious.

I'm currently 25, but for this story I'll be 14. Not because I got age regressed or anything but just... that's when this all started. Yes, that's right. This is an origin story. I know ... total snore fest, right? But all the great heroes have them, and damn it, so do I. So yeah, I was 14 when this all started ... I'm not 14 now... for the sake of the argument we'll just say I'm 14 for this story... because I am. Well, I was.

Never mind.

It was the night of the Fourth of July ... well, technically, I don't think it was. I live in this small town where we can't afford fireworks on the actual 4th of July, so we do this festival thingy usually sometime around then. I think it was July 7th that year? I don't know...

Anyways, I suppose I should tell you a bit more about myself before we continue.

I'm 5'4, I have brown hair and brown eyes. A bit of a sports junkie, well, I love my basketball anyway. I also am a geek, like a big geek, but one thing that very few people know -- in fact only my best friend Leah knows -- is that I have this weird fascination with the idea of shrinking. I can't explain it -- I don't know what it is or what it means. But ever since I was a kid, I wondered what it would be like to be small...

Yeah, I know, right? Most kids want to grow up to be big and strong. Not me. I wanted to be teeny ... like really teeny.

I never really told anyone, and in fact I forget how Leah found out this secret, but she ever seemed to mind or judge me for it.

But I digress. As was the tradition, my family met Leah's family for the 4th -- er, 7th of July festival, where we'd set up on the beach and after having some ice cream, we'd check out the fireworks show.

"So omigosh... are you stoked for high school?" Leah blurted out excitedly amidst the noise and chaos. I gave her a sort of shrug. I was a bit nervous about starting high school, but I could tell she was really excited about it, so as usual, I'd smile and nod. "Oh cmon Lexi, I can always tell when something's bothering you... out with it!"

"Well it's just I got so used to middle school, yknow... and of course we know how awkward that all started out... and now I feel like I have to start over again... yknow... be a freshmen..." I admitted.

"Ah you worry too much" Leah shrugged, giving me a reassuring tap on the shoulder. Truth be told, I wish I had her bravado. It was actually somewhat of a miracle we were even best friends. She was one of the most popular girls in school as long as I had known her. She was one of the head cheerleaders, and quite honestly gorgeous, and skinny. Yet we just hit it off one day at lunch and we had been inseperable since. It was no wonder she was looking forward to high school. I on the other hand was a bit of a nervous wreck.

"I worry too much, yet you're still friends with me" I tease, as a slow hush fell over the crowd. The fireworks show was about to begin.

"Someone's gotta watch over you, lil buddy" she whispered, giving me a hug.

"Little?" I chuckled, "I'm an inch taller than you..."

"Yeah, unless I shrink ya" Leah teased.

I turned bright red, always feeling a bit awkward when she brought up that subject. Still, the thought always ran through my mind. What if I could shrink?

In moments, the loud crackle of the fireworks took over the night sky. The thunderous booms and shimmering colors quickly grabbing everyone's attention -- except mine. I was still deep in thought. Uncertain about my future but also wondering again about shrinking... if it were possible ... if I could somehow do it. How awesome would that be?

Almost on cue, Leah tapped me on the shoulder, pointing to something outside the fireworks display.

"Look at that, Lex!" she said, "A shooting star!"

I stared at the falling object with intrigue. Despite all that was going on around me, all I could do was focus on that single beam of light as it coursed through the twilight sky.

"Make a wish" Leah joked, redirecting her attention to the bursts of fireworks.

I meanwhile focused on the shooting star and closed my eyes, clenching my hands a bit too. I knew this was a long shot but I found myself making a wish anyway. It was so loud in my head I wasn't even sure if I had inadvertedly whispered it aloud, but I thought to myself, "I wish I could shrink..."

The shooting star passed and the fireworks continued on to the delight of many but I couldn't help feeling something unusual. A rush went through my head and I got a bit dizzy. Leah looked over a bit concerned.

"You okay, hon?" she asked.

'Y-Yeah..." I'm fine, I nodded, feeling the temporary lightheadedness cease. That was weird... I thought.

Little did I know, it was only the beginning...