- Text Size +
I walk in, there's really not that many people in the house. I notice there's a black guy and a Asian girl talking to each other. Another dude drinking a Budweiser he snuck in. And other than that no one else is really there. I call Adam and ask him where he's at, and his response is "I'll be there in a hour, my Dad said it's ok and that mom will drive me there" I call him a loser for doing so and hang up the phone.


So I look at the time on my Blackberry, it's 8:40pm. I notice more people have came in. I go to the kitchen and see if there's anything to eat, there's four extra large Papa Johns pizza boxes laid out on the kitchen counter and a whole row of 2 liter bottles of Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, and Dr.Pepper. I get two slices of Pepperoni and Sausage pizza and pull out a red Solo cup and pour a mix of Coke and Dr.Pepper into it and start drinking and eating. As I eat and drink I hear a radio come on from the living room, the song "I Gotta Feeling" by The Black Eyed Peas blaring from it.



I hear more people talking, some even singing along to the song. I finish up my pizza and soda and walk out to the living room. The room is slightly crowded, Becky sees me while talking to one of her friends and waves at me with a smile. I wave back and see Adam walking through the door, we greet each other.

"So, you finally made it" I say.

"Yeah, I mean, I guess so" he laughs.

"There's Papa John's and Soda in the kitchen if you want some, they have plenty of it" I say, gesturing towards the kitchen.

"Fuck yeah I want some, I'm starving. All I've had to eat today is a Snickers bar and a couple of Hot Pockets. Not very filling to say the least" he says, as he rushes off to the kitchen.

I walk and try socializing with some of the people around me, Most of the crowd is from the school I go to, some from surrounding schools, and a few others from Portland, and one girl and her group of friends from Vancouver, Washington. Basically the town across from Portland. The party goes on, the time is 9:24pm right now, I see some guy turn on the living room TV and the time pops up on the screen. He turns it to MTV, airing some New Years Eve special. The Radio is now playing " Cooler Than Me" by Mike Posner. I don't really care much for pop music honestly, but this one isn't so bad.


I look out the window and see that a 1973 El Camino has pulled up with a couple of skater looking kids in it, some of them dressed in Punk type of way. I back away from the window and talk to a guy from the Portland group.

"So, what's your name?" I say, reaching my hand out to the guy.

"Cal, Cal Kleinstein" he says. "I'm a Freshman"

"I didn't think they'd invite little kids in here" I say jokingly

"I'm kidding I'm kidding" I say, playfully slapping his shoulder.

I notice out of the corner of my eye the group of kids from the El Camino walk through the door, one of the girls dressed like a punk is Judy Weston, a girl about a inch shorter than me with a pixie haircut with purple highlights in a plaid miniskirt that went down to her knees. I dated and broke up with her in 10th grade. I divert my attention back to the guy, while dying on the inside knowing that she's in the party.

We talk for about 15 minutes or so, about middle school vs high school, what he should be prepared for in the upcoming school years, the differences between Portland and Salem, and that's about it.

We say our goodbyes and I walk over to the radio "21 Guns" By Green Day starts to play. This is one of the songs everyone seems to sing along too, I sing along also. The pop station isn't too bad, I guess. After this I go into the kitchen. I notice there's only two boxes of pizza left and the soda bottles seem to only have Sprite and Pepsi left. I pour myself some Sprite and grab about three slices of pizza. A couple of minutes later, my ex walks in.


She gives me a half hearted smile and I return one back. I get flashbacks from this year and the summer, summer of 2009 when we met for the first time. I cringe in my mind about the day of the break up, April 18th, 2010. The sound of the fight and the awkward night phone call sticks out in my head as I eat, "I don't love you anymore" I said and the "Fuck you, David. You might be the worst boy I've ever dated, all guys are like you, see girls as like fucking meat, you just eat it and move on" she said to me before she hung up.

There's a couple of minutes of awkward silence between us and then she says "So Dave, how's it been" as she pours a little bit of Sprite into her cup and sits down next to me.

"Okay, I guess." I say, after finishing off the pizza slice in my hand.

"That's cool" She says, taking a sip of her Sprite.

"So who were those people you came in with" I say, starting on the last slice on my plate.

"Friends, we just got back from the skate park."

I look at my phone, it's 9:50.

"I see you still have the Blackberry" She says, in a joking way.

"Yeah, I do. I regret not asking for a iPhone for Christmas actually, those iPhone four commercials made them look pretty good actually" I say, starting to open up to her again.

"Yeah, they do" she says, a burp escapes from her lips.

"Heh, you used to burp all the time around me. I've heard you burp louder than that" I say.

"Well, I'm at a party. I really rather not embarrass myself, Dave" She says.

I look at her shirt, the "Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols" album on it. "So you're still a punk rocker huh?" I say, amused.

"Yeah, aren't you also one too" She says, kinda pointing a finger right back at me.


"I like Green Day, Blink 182, Sum 41, and New Found Glory. That's about it. Plus I don't really dress like I'm punk. Plus, I mostly like those bands because I remember them being played a lot in Middle School." I say, getting up to put my plate in the trash and to go to the bathroom to piss.

Little did Dave know, Judy brought out the a bottle of headache pills, a bottle that had the same contents that Jack Cooper was given on the airplane. She puts a pill into Dave's cup, it dissolves quickly. "I'm fucking glad dad kept that bottle of pills in the garage instead of throwing it out after they recalled it" she says to herself. There's no one in the kitchen when she does this.

I get back, and me and Judy, there's a slightly bitter taste in my Pepsi, but I ignore it and drink the rest of the soda." We go out to the living room and talk for another hour or so. At one point I look at my phone, the time is 10:57.

"Oh wow, just in a couple of minutes it'll be 11." I say. "

"It's scary how quick this year went" she says, her arm rapped around my neck.

"Don't. Do. That." I say, sharply.

She quickly undoes it. "Sorry" she says.

"Well, wanna go out to the backyard for I can ask you something" I say, gesturing towards the slide door in the kitchen to the backyard.

We both walk outside. The only light outside is the streetlamps from the surrounding streets. There's the muffled sound of talking and the song "One Headlight" by The Wallflowers. The sound of crickets in the background. You can faintly hear Judy's stomach growl from the contents of mostly soda and two slices of pizza inside of it that she ate when we were talking in the kitchen for about a hour, a slight burp comes out and she smiles warmly.

"So, do you still have feelings for me?" I say, with a slight voice crack at the word feelings.

"No, but after talking to you again for the first time since like, the day we woke up. Like on Monday, the day after we broke up on the phone. I was hurt, then numb y'know. I wish we could of worked it out. But everything happens for a reason I guess" she says, looking down at the grass under us.

"I really should of treated you better, I was just some dumb, horny 16 year old boy who never really thought about how you felt about my actions. I'm sorry" I say, apologetically.

There's a couple of minutes of awkward silence again, her stomach breaks the ice with a really loud gurgle.

We both laugh.

"Sounds like your belly forgives me" I say, jokingly.

She laughs. "Yes, I do forgive you. We were both young. Also I really regret drinking that much Sprite and Pizza, I forgot how my stomach hates that combination" she says.

"Lactose Intolerance?" I say.

"Nah, just my belly being a douche" She says, pushing back her brown boyish hair out of her face.

Judy and I both look back to walk back to the party. Adam and a couple of other people are quickly scattering from watching us talk. "Oh fuck off" Judy says, annoyed as pulls back the slide door.

The song "Mr.Brightside" by The Killers is playing in the living room, about a one forths of the room is singing along to it. I pull out my Blackberry and see that the time is 11:27pm. Me and Judy break apart and do our own thing for a bit. We come back together at about 11:50pm with everyone else to prepare for the countdown. I finish up a conversation with a Australian exchange student from Perth, his name's Mark.

"Yeah dude, hope you enjoy your time in the states" I say.

"Yeah I will" he says, scratching his chest. A couple of people turn around due to how his accent stands out.

I meet up with Judy and we stand and talk near the TV, I turn off the TV due to the fact no one's watching it.
A guy jokingly says "Hey, I was watching that" Me, Judy, and a couple of other people laugh.

The countdown starts, people start chanting.

"10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, HAPPY NEW YEAR" Basically everyone screams.


Saturday, January 1st, 2011


People start to clear out, Judy taps me on the shoulder and says. "Um, can you drive me home. My friends said they wouldn't have enough gas to drive me home since I live the farthest from any of them"

"Yeah, sure" I say, she follows me and she goes out the front door. I take my keys out of my pocket and unlock the doors, we both get in. I change the radio something a bit more soothing after listening to party music the whole night/early morning. I land on a station playing "Hey Jude" by The Beatles. "Do you still remember where I live?" She says, as I drive away from the house. "Yeah, you live in Four Corners don't you?" I say, looking at the clock in the Honda, it's 12:23am.

"Yep, Four Corners" she says.

After about 15 minutes or so I got sleepy. I pull over to the side of the road and say "Hey, you can drive yourself back. I'm fucking tired. Just park my car on the side of the street of your house. Tell your parent's that I fell asleep if they ask about it." I say, getting out of the car to get to the backseat and lie down.

She agrees, she drives herself back. I fall asleep to the hum of the car on the highway and the sound of the wind from the window.


I wake up, about 1 inch tall and scared. I see Judy in a pair of shorts and a World Cup South Africa 2010 T-Shirt. I'm near the foot of her bed, looking like a wasteland of green and orange.

She has a devilish smile on her face, she bends down on her knees too, her eyes the size of doors to me, her lips as long as a mirror, the sent of her cherry shampoo wafting on to me.

"You're mine now, David Reid" She says.

The smell of Cinnamon Toast Crunch and milk from her breath overpowers me.

"Just like in the movies" I say, looking right back up at her.