- Text Size +

AJ stared through the quadruple-plated, four foot thick lead glass walls of the single remaining Growth Containment Unit. The massive cell was originally built to hold radioactive waste, but was refitted with a special size-neutralizing field to accommodate a special prisoner for an extended stay. And he wasn’t very happy about it. He stared down at AJ, his statuesque, 12 foot body imposing on the other side of the glass.

“I don’t suppose you could’ve made him a bit smaller,” AJ said, turning to the only other person in the room.

“I’m leaving him a little dignity,” Heather said, from a height nearly double that of AJ. “Besides, he isn’t a threat to me anymore. Not at any size. Nobody is.”

“Awful confident now, aren’t we?” AJ said, admiring Heather’s lower body. Heather’s tight jeans accentuated every curve. She’s a well built girl, AJ thought.

“Yeah, well a lot’s changed. A lot’s still changing, actually, in me. And he knows it. He wouldn’t dare cross me now,” Heather said, looking down at the smaller woman. “Trust me, you’re safe.”

“Well I’d certainly feel safer with him a touch less big.”

“You’d feel a lot safer if he and I were both locked in that box.”

AJ nodded and smiled. “Would you be a good girl and step right in?” she joked.

“Not a chance,” Heather said, giving AJ a friendly nudge on the shoulder with one huge finger.

They stood together in the basement of a huge, isolated military compound, much of which was built in the 1960’s in an abandoned salt mine, and repurposed for the Growth Potential Project. Its 30-foot high concrete halls were lined with pipes, bundles of wiring, and air ducts. Despite the ventilation, the air was stale and the corridors a bit chilly. They were also completely vacant, other than Heather, Jason, and AJ.  

“So tell me, why are we even talking,” AJ asked, turning away from the prison cell and walking down the hallway. “After all, I didn’t think you liked me.”

“There are so many things I see now that I couldn’t see before,” Heather said, walking alongside the little woman. “This whole time, the only person who was really supporting me was you. Deep down, everyone doubted me. I even doubted myself. But you kept giving me these little pushes along the way. I know if it wasn’t for you I wouldn’t be here, and we’d be living in Jason’s world. You made the difference.”

“Aw shucks, well us gals gotta look out for each other,” AJ said, twirling her glasses and playing it cool in front of the unchallenged god of the planet.

“I’m not stupid though,” Heather said, chuckling. “You tried to get this whole program shut down, and I don’t blame you for that. And I know why you supported me. I get it.” 

AJ nodded in silent acknowledgment. Out of all the terrible possible futures, Heather’s ascendancy was the least bad. And AJ did whatever she could to nudge things in that direction, even going as far as using Heather’s brother to apply additional nudges. Heather forgave AJ's manipulations. She could see the woman's soul now, and she liked what she saw.

“And here you are, on top of the world,” AJ said, giving Heather a sportsmanlike pat on the butt. Heather laughed a little. The older woman’s audaciousness knew few bounds. “And lookin’ good too!” AJ continued cheerily. “You really know how to sport  the ‘large and in charge’ look!”

“Almost as well as you pull off the ‘naughty school teacher,” Heather retorted, smirking. “Anyway, you’re right. I don’t like being small anymore. I think I’m done with it.”

“Of course, by all means. Be as big as you like, that’s what I always say,” AJ said for the first time in her life. The two reached the end of the hallway, and turned to face each other. “So Queen Kong, what happens next?”

“I have a little housekeeping to do. Jason didn’t work alone.”

AJ looked surprised. “Of course... I can’t believe I never thought of that. Mind controlling all those scientists...”

“It wasn’t his idea.”

“Yes... Too clever for him I suppose. Then-”

“A few men who ran the project and thought we’d be better off in a world run by him. Don’t worry. I already know who they are.”

There was a darkness in Heather’s eyes that gave AJ considerable pause. “There’ll be others,” AJ said quietly. “There will always be people who oppose you. Is that how you want to spend your life? Finding the opposition and crushing them? What kind of a god do you want to be?”

“A good one,” Heather said confidently. “But first, I deserve a long break. I know Ben is missing me and he’s really hurting. I may disappear with him for a while.”

The two stared at each other for a while, probing each other’s minds. One of them could read thoughts clearly. The other didn’t need to. 

“Well enjoy your vacation, or whatever it is you do. In the meantime people will have a lot of questions,” AJ said quietly.

“Then give them answers,” Heather said with a weak smile.

“Oh? I speak for the queen now?”

“Why not? I know you’ll do well. You know all the right things to say, better than I do anyway. I’m no good at that stuff. And anyway, if you say something I really don’t like-”

“Squish,” AJ said.

“Ha! Not quite. Just keep all these boring pests away from me,” Heather said, flitting her hands about as if she was repelling flies. “No more talk shows. No more military or scientists or any of that. They waste my time. I want to be free to do whatever I want, not a celebrity.”

AJ flashed her characteristic wry smile, appreciating the giant girl who stood before her. Heather wanted to be truly free, but AJ wasn’t sure she wanted to take up some of the girl’s burdens. “Sounds like a lot of work. What’s in it for me?”

Heather smiled broadly, cocked her head upward, and scratched behind one ear, thinking of a suitable reward. Her smile widened, as she found the solution.

“Let’s just say people will know you speak for me,” Heather began, “if you’re as big as a house.”

AJ beamed, and her loyalty to Heather was sealed forever. But her joy quickly faded, and she gave Heather a momentary look of genuine worry.

“I’m okay,” Heather said, appreciating AJ’s unspoken concern.

“You have thousands of minds inside of you.”

“I have one. And it’s mine. But thank you.” Heather caressed one of AJ’s cheeks with a large hand. “Thank you for looking out for me. I need a good friend right now.”

“It’s lonely at the top,” AJ said, delicately grabbing Heather’s hand and holding it close.

“Beats being at the bottom,” Heather responded. “I’ll see you soon.”

AJ leaned against Heather’s mighty hand and allowed herself to swoon in the giant girl’s feminine aura. But in an instant, the aura was gone, and so was the hand. AJ stumbled slightly, and looked about. Heather vanished. The psychologist straightened her glasses, adjusted her skirt, took a deep breath, and collected herself. And then, by her own volition, she grew.

“Dawes is gonna love this,” she said, nearly knocking her head on the ceiling.

300 feet up, in a conference room on the dry desert surface, dozens of military officials and scientists crowded together and bickered about what to do next. Hours ago, when Heather returned from battle with Jason in hand, she ordered those men to wait there. She’ll be with them soon enough.

It was a chilling command, and one that none dared disobey. They all understood there wasn’t a weapon in the world that could be used against her. But none of them knew the true depths of her power, or that their conversations, or even innermost thoughts, were far from private. 

Over the course of three hours, the men in the room divided themselves into several camps. There were those who acknowledged the practical realities of their situation. Heather was in charge now. Just accept it, and move on. In time, we will find a way to fight her, and when the opportunity presents itself, we’ll kill her. 

Others were less impressed. Heather’s a stupid girl who barely understands her own power, much less how to wield it. She could be controlled, if the right logic was used against her. In the end, she might even give up her power. She has a weak mind and a weak will. We can use that against her.

Yet another group proposed a bleaker solution. Clearly Heather trusts us to be warden of Jason’s prison. Jason’s one of us, a soldier. He’ll do what’s right. We should let him out when Heather least expects it. He’ll crumple her up and discard her like a used tissue, then finish the war she couldn’t. Sure, the enemy surrendered, but they still exist. Jason will correct that. He alone has the strength and the will to get the job done. Maybe he did destroy all our safeguards. He was right to do it. We shouldn’t control him. He should control us. 

This final group was fanatical. Over the past several months they had come to revere Jason, even worship him. He was the purest symbol of power these men had ever witnessed. There were those within the government who formed a secret, loosely-associated cult of Jason, seeing him as the rightful god of this world. And when Jason is freed by them and Heather destroyed, they will reap the rewards of paradise. Unfortunately for them, Heather had a very different vision of paradise. 

The argument came to an abrupt end when the roof of the building was ripped away, and tossed into orbit. A hundred feet above them, Heather leered at her would-be betrayers. She could see past their minds, piercing the clouded layer of conscious thought, and deep into their souls. She didn’t like what she saw.

“Heather!” one of the conspirators began, but she wasn’t interested in what he was going to say. Before everyone’s eyes, he was reduced to a pile of ash on the floor. 

“You can’t!” another man protested, before covering his mouth to prevent any further reflexive outbursts. She smote the other man for less.

“I can,” she spoke through gritted teeth. “That pile of dust wanted to kill me. What do you want to do?”

The man fell silent. Another man chimed in. “Worship you!” he shouted, before being reduced to dust.

“Another liar,” Heather hissed. “In fact, you’re all liars. You disgust me.”

Her scowl gave way to a smile. A wicked, cruel grin that turned the men’s spines to icicles. In her eyes they saw a nightmarish vision of eternal torment that awaited them if they ever dared cross her again, but they wouldn’t get the chance. The room around them grew, and each of them looked about frantically, before realizing what was really happening.

“You’re not even worth eating. I wouldn’t put such foul things in my mouth,” Heather chided. “So instead I’m giving you some time to reflect on your sins.” She watched with amusement as the men were reduced to motes.

“Shit!” one of them cried out in futility.

Heather laughed. “Yeah yeah, I’m being unfair. We’re in a desert. You’re gonna get real thirsty. Here, let me give you something to drink.”

She spit, filling the conference room with her saliva.

“Hope you can swim.”

Chapter End Notes:

oh god I hope I didn't say anything mean about Heather