- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

"That which is considered least can be what matters most."

Darunia of raging fire.

Early morning in Hyrule Castletown very few people are awake. The sun has yet to appear and only a few intrepid merchants are setting up shop at this time of day. It's now that Impa makes her move. She's got a plan to implement and this is the time to do it.

"All I have to do is post these signs to let everyone know..." The sheikah thinks. "And there won't be any problems." Armed with notices that warn everyone of a special event starting at around 3:15 requiring the main street be cleared she tacks them up without delay. "After this I have to find a few guards to post along this route to keep order and that'll be that."

The morning star just begins to peek over the eastern edge of the kingdom. By this time the shadow sage has accomplished her objective and is returning to the castle to wake the princess. Early risers are puzzled at the posted fliers in her wake but that is to be expected. It's that they be heeded is what's important.

"Now that phase one is done let's move to phase two."

X

On Hyrule's most notable farm Malon has just awakened on cue with the rooster. Rubbing her eyes and sitting up she still feels sleepy. She is entirely too comfortable on the ground but today it's something she's thankful for.

"Morning already?" The girl groans. "Darn..." She looks down at the person whose face rests on her collarbone. "I'm with you today." She mumbles at Link. "I'm sleepin' in." So the phenomenally tall farm girl decides to abandon consciousness for a less aware pursuit but something nags at her. It keeps her from returning to slumber readily.

"Am I forgetting something?" Malon wonders to herself. "What could it be?" Then it hits her like a bolt from the blue. "I'm visitin' the princess today." She remembers. "I cain't go back to bed, I've got things to do."

"Mm?" Link murmurs. "I'll get right on it..."

The redhead sits up. "What? You sayin' somethin'?"

"Just wait a second, I'll do it in a minute..."

She shakes her head and stands. "Sleep talking, silly boy." She walks over to the guesthouse and sets Link down on the bed. The mattress is still on the roof but he doesn't seem to mind. "You've got the day off so one of us'll sleep in today." She smiles softly and lays the blanket gently over top of the sleeping hero. "But that means I've got to get Talon up..." She sighs. "Now I wish I had some dynamite..."

The rooster crows a third time then quits. The younger proprietor of the ranch walks over to the main house and gives the bird a wry grin. "You could try harder you know." She kids. "Outside his window every mornin' and he hasn't seen dawn since we hired Ingo." The male chicken seems offended and stalks into the henhouse after being insulted. "You know I'm right."

Disregarding the ineffective bird she turns her attention to the house. Banging on the door yields no results. Neither does tapping on the window. Tapping on the wall of his bedroom does little else but knock down the pictures hanging up in there. The ensuing clatter didn't seem to bother him in the least bit but one of the framed photos lands on his headboard and smacks him one squarely in the face.

"What in tarnation..." Talon mumbles "Doggone Poes throwin' things again..." He says, tossing the picture aside. "Should just quit it..." He pulls a pillow over his head and goes back to sleep.

This is too much for Malon who is watching the whole thing from outside. "If you don't get up right this instant I'ma make you wish ghosts were your biggest problem!" She declares loudly. "Get your lazy behind out that bed!"

Her father wakes up and listens to the tirade. After deciding it may be best to listen to her advice he walks outside. "For cryin' out loud honey do you have to be so...loud about it?"

His daughter laughs. "I guess so if you ain't gonna listen no other way."
The head rancher looks around. "Now I sure enough don't see what you need me for at this time of day..."

"Sure you do. Somebody's got to do the morning chores. I gave Link the day off so that means you're the one takin' care of things around here." Malon explains.

Talon is about to debate the whole thing. Seeing as he hasn't seen sunrise since he can say he's had help around the place he isn't too happy about being up right now. But looking up at her expectant face he can't bring himself to say no. "If you'd have told me somethin' bout this I coulda went to bed early or somethin'..." He grumbles. His scarlet-haired progeny rolls her eyes and he can see she doesn't want to hear that.

"You're in bed before sunset every night and nap on and off during the day. Come on now, do something around here every now and again!"

The farmer doesn't reply; she's made a good point. He goes to start work; after all the sooner he starts the sooner he can go back to bed.

"Okay, now that I got Talon up I need to do something about me. I can't visit the princess smelling like a farm. I need to get cleaned up." Malon thinks to herself.
Fortunately that is not a difficult task. Since it's still early yet she can make a trip to Lake Hylia to make herself presentable and avoid the tourists and fishermen. Grabbing her hygiene supplies she gets ready to go. An old bath towel serves as a washrag while several clean blankets sewn together serves as a towel. She had also contrived a bar of soap from "several" bars compressed together. With these things in hand she sets out for Lake Hylia. At twenty-seven feet you get most places in Hyrule in a little while with a trot so she's there in no time. She undresses after a quick glance around and folds her clothes in a pile then wades into the water. Of course you can't bathe in a public place without anyone seeing. And someone is in the area, Malon just doesn't know it yet but right now that is of little consequence.

"What am I going to do with all this hair?" At her new height it extends down her back and floats in the water in disarray. "How am I supposed to keep up with it all?"

The immense lady doesn't puzzle over it long though. Time is of the essence and she gets to scrubbing herself from top to bottom. After all she doesn't have all day.

X

In the castle activity is everywhere as the royal staff assembles before the princess in preparation of the big event. Every servant in the palace is in the throne room lined up like soldiers awaiting commands and after a quick head count she's ready to give them.

"Good morning!" Zelda begins enthusiastically. "You've been gathered here because we have a VERY special occasion to plan today. So I'm going to need all of your help."

"What is it?" The head chef asks. "I can't understand what you need us all here for; I mean even the castle blacksmith is here!"

The princess smiles an almost impish smile. "You'll be working directly with him. You two have the most important tasks of all."

The professional food preparer looks taken aback at her statement. "Alright, what is it?"

"An acquaintance of mine is to visit the castle for the first time. I want to make it special for her. The reason all of you are here is because we need to make some distinctly unique accommodations for her since she's well over twenty feet tall."

The room falls silent. Side conversations come to a halt as well and all eyes come to the front of the room at the statement. Many of the faces of the castle keepers are agape at the announcement also and the princess notes this with a pleased smile.

"I can tell by your reactions that some of you have actually seen her. You all understand why we have to work together. This is quite the undertaking but I am confident we can do this."

"Now I know you must have a plan." The lead cook says. "Otherwise we wouldn't all be here. How are we going to do this?"

Zelda doesn't miss a beat and starts walking down the line handing out sheets of parchment. After she's done she proceeds back to the center of the room. She can see everyone is still reading but clears her throat.

"Those are to-do lists. I've managed to break the event up into tasks by group. Tailors and seamstresses work on napkins and placemats. They have to match. Maids, butlers and cooks I handed you the menu so please make extra. As for you smiths and groundskeepers that was the list of flatware and utensils. Make sure they shine. You all have your orders. We've got an engagement at 3:30 let's be ready!"

Everyone files out quickly with practiced precision. Keep in mind that impromptu parties are their specialty. All but one person hustles to work.

"Princess, you didn't hand me a list..." Her master food preparer mentions. "What do you need me to do?"

"You get to oversee it all." Zelda replies. "Make sure it's all made correctly and to scale. It's our engagement."

"But..."

"Everyone's ready to answer to you so go!" She smiles. "Show me how it's done."

"But I only saw her for a short time. I can't possibly..." He thinks to himself. He turns back to her with thoughts on his mind and words on his lips and speaks. "Don't worry, I won't disappoint you."

X

In Lake Hylia for lack of a better basin to bathe in a certain someone has just warmed up to the water. About halfway through washing herself Malon turns to move her hair out of the way for the fifth time and sighs. It's a wet mess since it's so long now and is drifting in the water distracting her. Sweeping the ruby locks aside yet again she's back to trying to figure what to do with it.

"What am I going to do with all this?" She mumbles, holding a sopping wet handful of strands in one hand. "It's just too much to have hanging every which way..." She starts running soapy fingers through it. "May as well wash it too though."

Using her hands and soap she starts washing her hair. After getting her scalp on the sudsy side she closes her eyes to keep the soap out. Working up a lather in not quite warm water is somewhat a task and requires a bit of concentration. So when something crept across the surface of the water to investigate the source of the lake's murkiness Malon was oblivious. However something fuzzy brushing up against her did make her start a bit and she pulled her hair to the side yet another time to stop it from doing that when it happened again.

"What in- Aaaahhhh!" Turning her head and opening one eye to get a glimpse of what the offender would possibly be she's scared silly to find several red eyes meeting her own and shouts fit to echo across the lake as she recoils away from the Blue Tektite. She's by no means calm and when the insect bursts into flame a scant instant later her screams redouble and rise in pitch leaving the sound of her voice bouncing off both shores as she nearly leaps out of her skin and clear of the water like an enormous dolphin to splash back down and leave a new high tide mark in the sand.

"Malon, are you alright?" Link calls from a few yards off, bow in hand. "Malon!" He sighs, receiving no response from the bubbles rising where she fell. "This is what I get, trying to help." He mutters. "Here I was thinking I could hit the bug from here and she not notice and I nearly burn her with-"

Malon bursts out of the water sputtering and coughing. She's wiping her soapy eyes and trying to get her bearings again. "I shoulda been payin' more attention that's for sure." She remarks to herself, coughing up water. "It coulda bit me..."

"Malon! Are you alright?" Link calls again. "Malon!"

The immense girl in question is still trying to knock the lake out of her ears and can't quite hear him. But her vision is clearing rapidly and from the corner of her eye she can see something waving. Pivoting to look at it some water runs out of her eardrums and she can hear it too. "...Link?" She asks uncertainly.

"Are you hurt? Did it touch you?" The hero asks, worried. "I should've-"

"Eeeeek!" The redhead screeches for the third time in half as many minutes. "Link!"

"What's-"

"TURN AROUND!" She commands shrilly, belatedly covering herself. "Can't a girl get any privacy?"

Link looks as chagrined as can be at her inquiry and turns a swift about face on his heel immediately. "Sorry..." He mumbles.

Malon has a small smirk at his sudden attitude change in attitude but remains annoyed. "You can't fool me!"

"I'm trying to trick you!" Link yells back. She glares at him and even with his back turned he can feel it burn between his shoulder blades. "I mean I'm not trying to trick you!" He stammers.

"I know why you're here...oh it makes me so mad..."

"What? Why?" The green clad hylian thinks for a split second. "No, it's not like that!"

"You're lucky I'm not dressed..." She says, sliding into deeper water. "I'd give you such a smack..."

"Malon it isn't what you think I swear!"

"I'd have never thought it of you..."

"This isn't what it looks like!"

"..."

"You've got to believe me!"

The unearthly tall undressed girl seems to consider his words. She looks at him with bow in hand and back to what happened and puts it together. "Doesn't he know any better?" She wonders to herself. "I guess he had good intentions but what was he thinking?" She had been in the water up to her shoulders most of the time so there hadn't been much to argue in the way of indecency even given her current stature and lack of a curtain. Even when she had nearly leapt from the lake a wall of water akin to a waterspout had accompanied her and a splash that would count as a record high water mark in the almanac for the year had proceeded after. But it was the principle of the thing.

"I was just trying to look out for you." Link says by way of explanation. "I know you hate monsters and didn't want anyone to see you so..." He trails off.

Malon giggles at his reasoning. "You couldn'ta found a way to do that without peepin'?"

"But I wasn't!"

She laughs a bit more. "How do I know?"

"I said I was sorry! I didn't mean to!"

The cherry-topped one considers his response before replying. "Link isn't much of a kidder." She thinks to herself. "And he's really a pretty decent guy. I don't really think he's got it in him to be that rude on purpose so..." She tones down her laughter and sighs. "I guess you're alright." She says at length. "You don't seem like the immature type even though you looked it just now..."

"How many times do I have to say-oh." Link pauses. "Uh, thanks."

"But stay turned around while I dry off!" Malon commands. Her friend doesn't say anything to that. He simply pulls his kokiri hat down over his face and remains with his back turned to her and sits down.

After assuring herself that he was going to remain stationary she climbs out of the water. Drying off is a short process as the chill that comes with the towel arrives fast. Scarcely glancing around to see the tektites stay put and Link obediently remain turned away she has her undergarments on in a flash. She's just about to put her dress back on when something occurs to her.

"I may be all cleaned up but this dress is about as grimy as it can get." She says to herself, picking up the garment. "I sure can't show up to the castle lookin' like a big ole dingy hillbilly. I may be from the country but that's no cause not to be presentable." She dunks it in lake water and proceeds to wash it by hand. "Course no clothesline in the kingdom is gonna support this thing. I'll just have to leave it out for a while when I get back home and make do with it air drying."

"Can I turn around now?" Link asks. "Are you done yet?"

"Almost." Malon pulls the dress out of the water and wrings it out by hand. "You can turn around if you want."

"Okay." The hero stands and turns around, straightening his hat and does a double take.

"Hm?" Malon queries, shaking her head vigorously to dry her hair. "What is it, hon?"

Link doesn't reply for a minute. He's transfixed staring at his companion with her hair waving with the breeze standing there in her wet underclothes with her dress over one shoulder framed by the rising sun and shimmering ever so slightly. For a short time all he can do for s short time is look up, gape and gulp. "Ah..." He whispers.

"Didn't hear you jus' now..." She replies softly. "Is somethin' the matter?"

"Umm..." He's still staring at her moist clothes sticking tightly to her shining skin. The outline of her figure is something that's making him more than a little uncomfortable given she just yelled at him but he's still staring at her. He turns back around before she can see him blush. "You're not completely dressed." He sits back down, cheeks aflame and an image of her in damp lacy underwear burned onto his eyelids. "I can wait."

"I sure don't want to." Malon says, looking around. "It'll take all day to dry and I don't fancy spendin' my mornin' here."

"Ah, but-"

"Plus this isn't quite public attire. And this lake is surely a place people visit. I'd best hurry home."

"You're going to go through the field like that?"

"I don' have much choice. I'll be on the move at least." She hurries off. Reluctantly Link saddles up and rides after her.

Sure enough she's on the move. She's one of the fastest things on the plains at the moment. Around the halfway point they cross paths with the crazily fast running guy and even he respects her pace.

"What the heck?" The one with the bunny hood says, turning his head. "Wow...fast and-"

Since he's diverted by the slightly out of the ordinary lady running by he slams into a tree for all his gawking because he certainly stopped paying attention to where he was running. This makes Malon the fastest thing moving seeing as the current record holder is imprinted into a tree trunk and she can't help but laugh in spite of it. Link sighs as he passes by the unconscious sprinter and spurs Epona on to keep up as they head home.

X

In Hyrule Castle one man is making another circuit around the building. He's been hopping for the last hour and with good reason. If he's the chief coordinator for this special event he's got to make sure it all goes perfectly. It wouldn't do to have the guest of honor malcontent so he's making sure it's all proportioned correctly. He's given the entire castle staff an idea of the size of the larger-than-life visitor but he has to constantly check and be consistent. Right now he's headed back to a place he knows well, the kitchen.

Inside it's bustling with activity. Every person present hard at work on something teamed together with someone else. Our lead cook is just inspecting them all when he finds one person who isn't quite following instructions. Not being the patient type and with a lot of pressure on him he isn't too thrilled with the occurrence.

"You!" The soux chef yells. "I told you to use this!"

"Chef?" The baker asks unsteadily.

"You are not following my instructions! Are you trying to choke her?!"

"No. But if I use that pot to make a scone in the thing will turn out the size of a dining table."

"Are you making croutons?" The chef yells. "We already have someone doing that. Make that thing more than a mouthful!"

"I've seen her..." The younger cook says. "She's big but not that big."

"I have seen her and I know! Do not question me!"

"I don't think-"

"I did not ask you to think!" The head chef bursts out. "This is my production; do as I say!"

"Yes sir." The pastry cook says reluctantly.

"That's more like it!" The banquet master continues his circuit around his domain. "Let's do this right people!"

"If you want something she can rest her head on you're on the right track..." The cook mutters starting over on his scone.

X

On the farm Link is doing next to nothing. Having agreed to take some time off Malon will not allow him to help Talon with the chores and having also agreed he wouldn't go anywhere until after the engagement he's kind of idle and just averting his eyes for the most part. She's sitting nearby with her dress hanging over the fence in her now dry underclothes watching her father work. Both are hanging in the area of the fence and you would think very little of note save Malon's state of undress and Link's newfound interest in horses. But our hero is startled out of his equine study as his hostess springs up, having found something wrong.

"Too much, too fast." The left-handed hero thinks, turning to see her dart over to her father. "How can she move so quickly?" He wonders, tearing his eyes from her again to stare into the corral. "I mean seriously..."

Talon is almost unaware of his daughter's motion. It's when her shadow falls over him he looks over and up at her. "Is something wrong, pumpkin?" He asks, half full bag of garbage in hand as he steps out of the chicken enclosure.

"Mmmhmm." His colossal child replies. "I don't think you're finished in there."

"Wha? I just got done." The head rancher looks confused. "What are you talking about?"

Malon's eyes narrow. "Ain't no way you're done yet. It's ALWAYS a full sack of mess in there!"

"Must not have been this time..."

She takes her displeased expression a bit further. "Not one time in the last seven years has it been different. Even when Fairy Boy does it, it's the same thing. You're not gonna stand here and do a half-baked job of somethin' while I'm watchin'!"

Now Talon's frowning. "I'm about sure I didn't wake up to deal with you prancin' round half-dressed talkin' down to me when I taught you how this is all done!"

"So I'm supposed to let you half-do somethin' just' cause you're half-sleep? That ain't the way you taught me!"

"How much more of this you wanna see me put up with? You got me up early in the mornin' on my ranch, standin' around barely decent, tellin' ME what to do!"

"Pa, just listen a minute-"

"I ain't got to listen! This height thing must have you way too big for your britches! If you don't like the way I did it then I'll stop. Givin' me all that lip, why don't you do it?"

"Malon, it's fine." Link says, getting up off his fencepost. "I'll finish up."

"No one asked you." She says with her voice carefully level. "Sit back down."

"It's nothing really. I just don't want to see-"

"Shush!" Malon yells brusquely. Link is taken aback and sits down sheepishly. "I'm tryin' to talk." She resumes calmly once again.

"You had better not raise your voice to me." Talon mutters. "Better know better than that..."

His daughter's expression goes from irritated to irate and she glares down at her father who glares right back. "You listen to me."

"Don't you take that tone-"

Malon stomps down hard. Implanting her foot a few inches into the ground the resounding boom startles the horses and birds in the vicinity flee while a hush falls over the area. Link is thoroughly rattled and Talon has fallen on his behind since he was so close to the shockwave. The vacuum of noise carries a bit more so she takes a deep breath to calm herself and addresses her father.

"If you do not go back in there and clean that henhouse right like you made me do that's fine." Her voice neither wavers nor spikes in volume. "But if you don't I promise you I'll wake you every morning to do it since you're so sure that's right. I think that's fair, don't you?" Talon knows better than to answer that. He trudges back into the chicken coop to resume work.

X

Out in the castle courtyard our event overseer is running around like a chicken with his head cut off. After getting the gardeners to cut the ivy from the archway and get them to get started on removing the top of the thresholds just to let Malon feel at home and minimize the risk of collateral damage he's pacing a circle outside until he remembers what he needs to do. Doubling back to the rear of the castle he walks past the stables to the on site smithy. Of course every smith is busy one on each piece of silverware. So the projects are a simple spoon, knife and fork. However they did not consult him about the dimensions and his entry into the sweltering workshop makes for a red-hot discrepancy since what he sees doesn't match what he imagined.

"What is this?!" The head chef demands of the ironworkers. "This is wrong!" But his words are lost in the inferno workplace given how much clanging is going on. It isn't until he spends a minute and forty-two seconds yelling the word ‘wrong' at the top of his lungs while waving his arms like a demented scarecrow in a tornado that he gets the attention of the head smith.

The master of the forge walks over to the food preparer and bends down to offer an ear. The cook wastes no time in yelling his discontent into his new listener. The lead smith then stands and looks at his workers. Some look up and he gives them a hand signal. They nod and continue working without pause. Now the cook is indignant but this is when the blacksmith gestures they walk outside to better talk. As soon as they are outside the cook is yelling like it's going out of style.

"Did you not hear?" The chef demands. "I said all of you stop! Desist! Do you not know what that means?!"

"Listen-"

"This is MY event! We do thing MY way! Can you not follow directions?"

"I brought you out here to talk. So-"

"I did not come here to be told how to run my event by some hammer slinging neanderthal-"

The smith puts a hand to his forehead and sighs. "That's enough."

"Enough of what? Since you have yet to take a single order, that goes for you and the rest of your recalcitrant forgemonkeys-"

"Shut up." The caveman clan leader says flatly.

"You are under direct orders from the crown princess of Hyrule to listen to me!"

"Shut up or I will find a hot pair of forge tongs to shut you up."

The impatient culinary artist turns as red as an apple at that comment. His eyes are bugging out and there is a vein bulging on his head but he is silent. The smith smiles and tries to speak again.

"Listen. Maybe you don't know that much about iron. Matter of fact I bet the only time you've dealt with it is flipping burgers." The high-class cook is nearly purple at that jab so the grin of the castle metal master goes up a few watts. "But iron doesn't stretch. It isn't magical. And it takes time to do. A process. So you coming in as late as you did...well wouldn't get done till late tonight if we started over now."

"If you had listened this morning when I said make sure it is big enough..."

"I did. With the measurements you gave she'd need a pitchfork, shovel and some kind of crazy dimensioned knife. A couple of us have actually seen her for ourselves; we thought we had better ideas. Forgive me for using my better judgment."

"I will not! You were told by Zelda herself to do as I say!"

"I was told to do it right. Personally I think you were way off. When Malon gets here I'll let her be the judge."

"You will ruin the whole event!"

"Not at all. I've got some spare garden tools if it comes to that and you're actually right." The shocked look on the chef's face carries no price tag. "Now run along and pester someone else. I have work to do."

X

On the farm Link is casually leaned against the fence again watching Malon follow after her father like a fussy parent. After seeing them get into it on how to handle the stables he stepped in finally and got some space between them. The effect of his reproaching seems to have worn off rather rapidly and she's over the patriarch's shoulder again. Link sighs and decides to make another intervention attempt.

"Hey Malon!" The hero calls out. "Hey!"

The out-sized overseer of the farm can see Link gesturing to come over so with a glance at today's help she approaches. "Can I help you hon?" She says, standing before the forest native. He doesn't say anything at first though his lips seem to be trying to move. A sudden breeze reminds her of her state of less than dressed and she smiles to herself ever so slightly before placing her hands behind her back and leaning forward to ask him again. "Fairy Boy, is everything alright?" By now you'd have thought she wrapped a hand around his neck he'd turned so red and she does giggle at that which gets some kind of noise out of him. Since he sounds like he's choking and looks unsteady standing there she bows lower and reaches for him to be sure he doesn't take a tumble. The look on her face changing from amused to worried in an instant.

Link had been spending the last few moments gawking at his friend like he'd caught tunnel vision and a fit of paralysis. He's worried that she's going to yell at him for being inappropriate but he could see she got a kick out of teasing him so he was almost in the clear. That display left him short of breath however and at this proximity his traitorous lungs wouldn't even gasp as she giggled at his plight, bouncing up and down enough to make his pupils follow like little black ping-pong balls. As close as she was she could follow his gaze with ease and see what he's staring at but she looked more concerned about him then where he was looking. She must have thought him not feeling well as she was reaching for him with both hands on one knee now and pulling him to her to keep him upright. At her touch the rest of him flushed the color of his oxygen deprived face and Dark Link appeared from nowhere and landed a Fire Arrow dead center on him just to vanish again his skin was so aflame with shame. With his face resting just below her collarbone he could feel her warmth and the smoothness of her skin. As she leaned forward to speak in his ear her hair drapes all about him like a vermillion curtain tickling his neck and face. Feeling her heartbeat beneath his cheek his own pulse starts racing and the hair on his neck has to be crackling with how awkward he feels right now. Sweat is beading on his face like condensed drops of nervousness and he's currently hoping that it isn't too noticeable as he listens to the blood roaring in his ears. Alas his pointy noise detectors turn on him as she whispers into them.

"You're burnin' up..." She says almost breathlessly. "Sweatin' fit to dissolve; you got a fever?"

It's apparent that Link can't reply. In his acute state of embarrassment he has maybe ten seconds left of consciousness without air. His heart is pounding fit to burst as she pulls him closer to her chest to hold him with one arm like a child then standing and operating a water pump with the other. By the time she's got water drawn in a bucket he's all but gone into shock from the nerves on his skin popping like hot grease and the hair on him standing straight up as though he's been jolted by a wayward lighting bolt.

She looks down at the hylian lying against her rigidly and turns him to where she can give him some water. First she dips her fingers in the basin to spread some water on his face. It almost sizzles off his face is so warm. She immediately dribbles some into his slightly open mouth for fear of him dehydrating on the spot. This gets a reaction and he convulses as though making an attempt at sitting up and inadvertently pushes his face deeply into her chest before taking a long wheezing breath. Malon herself is visibly relieved just to see that and gives him a bit more water before saying something. "Don't scare me like that again."

In her embrace with his face pressed close to her breasts he attempts to find some air. Opening his mouth slightly he inhales and finds a sliver of oxygen before involuntarily locking his lips to her skin and getting a taste of it trying to fill his lungs and instead filling his mouth. By now what could have been classified as an asthmatic episode (nevermind Link doesn't have asthma) more closely resembles respiratory arrest given his insanely high degree of mortification. She shifts him and is still looking worried like she hadn't noticed his lips pop off her skin but his ten seconds is up and his vision is fading as expected as she massages cool water onto his face. Link is content to go comatose when liquid finds its way down his throat and windpipe. Now he can taste cool water on his tongue as well as her skin and with an overdue inhalation he can smell fresh air tinted with a hint of sweat and soap. He's still disoriented but can hear her talking. He nods stupidly at whatever she says and she puts him down.

"Can you tell me what that was all about?"

Link looks anxious at her query, not like he'd relaxed in the last few minutes but still he fidgets. "It was an accident..."

"What was?"

"You caught me by surprise. I'm sorry about that."

"I'm not going to do anything to you, why are you so sorry? What did you do?"

He feels a flood of relief at her new question. If she didn't notice she wasn't going to yell at him about it. She probably was too busy worrying to pay it much mind. Here he was thinking his mistaken kiss had been noticed. Of course if it had he'd have some explaining to do but he'll just let that go. "I didn't do anything...except nearly pass out."

"Why? I thought we got through all that and you had your fill of faintin' so often. Do I look that good?" She laughs doing a little twirl. "Link?"

The hero did blank out a moment again. It's like he can't stop looking. "I don't know." He says finally. "You may need to be a bit more appropriate to head to the castle though."

"You don't like how I look?" Malon sounds upset.

"I didn't say that." Link replies hurriedly. "You-" But she's giggling again and he can see he's been tricked. He starts blushing at her teasing and clams up immediately.

"You may have a point there, Fairy Boy." She says, considering his words. "I sure shouldn't show up with my hair flying every which way." She brushes her hair back over her shoulders and walks over to where her dress is hanging on the fence. "And maybe a bit more modest; she is the princess after all." She smirks and gives Link a wink. He smiles back sheepishly. She pulls the garment over her head, wiggling some to get it back on correctly as it was still on the damp side and sticking to her somewhat.. Pulling her sleeves back down to cover her wrists she sighs and gives the kokiri a dissatisfied look. "Though I'm still not presentable..."

"Not this again..." Link looks weary all of the sudden.

"Come on, you're tellin' me you couldn't have done better than this?" Malon is gesturing at her sleeves and a few other places. Though they are intact the sloppy state of repair they're in is less than pristine. Between farm work, squeezing into the barn and getting caught on the fence a few too many times she's got several new seams on her dress in different places.

"I'm the Hero of Time not a tailor!" He protests.

"Ain't sewn together straight, comin' loose...how am I supposed to go to the castle like this?"

"I did warn you I couldn't sew right?"

For a moment there is silence. Malon is staring at her sleeves and other improvised spots of repair on her outfit, Link, then back again while he's simply standing before her shrugging with palms up. After taking a few more seconds of being fastidious she snorts and rolls her eyes. "Ain't too much to be done about it now, right?"

Link smiles. "I could try to redo it if you like."

"How nice of you to offer, Fairy Boy." She replies, grinning back. "Now if you suddenly learned to sew maybe I'd take you up on that." She looks up at the sky. "Not much time left before we should go. I'd be better off fixin' this windblown hair look of mine before we head out."

X

In Hyrule market there is a large crowd forming. There always is a gathering in the bazaar at mid afternoon. It's the best time to shop and as things go today that presents a problem as by royal decree the streets need to be cleared ten minutes ago. The guards are all out trying to reason with the populace while trying to nudge them out of the way with their shields. They aren't having much luck since no one likes being interrupted while they're shopping but they don't have much choice.

"Please move, we need this area clear." The leader of the guard says for the seventh time.

"I'm shopping!" One woman snaps. "You'll wait until I'm through!"

"I don't think so, ma'am." Another guard says. "It would be in your best interest to leave."

"Who are you to tell me what my best interests are, young man? I came here for groceries and I can't very well leave without them."

"We are just trying to keep you safe please understand." The leader of the guard says patiently.

"You should really listen to the captain, ma'am."

"I'll do no such thing!" The entire market place gets a little quieter. "Not without an explanation!"

"Winifred please-"

"That's Mrs. Johnson to you!" The infuriated shopper yells. "I know half of your mothers; how would you like it if I told them how disrespectful you're being?"

Most of the guards look down or hang their heads in shame. A lot of them are young and it looks like Mrs. Johnson has met more than a few of them. It appears as though the royal guard is losing control of the situation rather rapidly.

"Mrs. Johnson I have to insist that you leave." The captain tries again being polite.

"Why?"

"My orders were-"

"I do not give a rat's fanny about your orders! I'm not moving one step until you give me a reason! None of us are!" She gets mumbles of assent from other shoppers and starts smiling a condescending smile.

"Please don't make us use force. This is for your own good." He advances forward but hears no one walking with him. "Why'd I get all the new recruits?" He thinks to himself. "Jeez..."

"Use force?" Winifred laughs at the thought. "What are you going to do, spear us?"

"Men!" The captain snaps. "Fall in on my mark!" He gets a response and can feel them snap to attention. "Now's not the time to lose your nerve! Forward!" The squad starts marching towards the civilians, Hylian Shields out.

"Touch me with that shield and I'll slap the taste out of your mouth." The captain stops at that declaration. "Either you speak or we stay, that simple."

The commanding officer is at a loss. "This isn't worth it." He thinks to himself while looking back at Winifred. "She could start a riot; these kids aren't going to be able to handle that."

"Did you hear me or are we all enjoying our little get together?"

"Do you really want to know? Is it the only way we'll get you to move peacefully?"

"You may as well let us shop if you're going to act like you can't hear."

The castle official ignores that jab and takes a deep breath. He's just about to open his mouth when the choice is taken from him. He's been back and forth with Mrs. Johnson longer than he thought because the reason just strode into the town square. So he does the only thing he can at a time like this.

"Make way!" He yells, moving forward to enforce the boundary. "Make way!" The rest of the guards follow suit and the captain notes that Winifred is cooperating along with the rest of them with a smirk. "Clear the way and stay calm."

"Yeah, nothing to see here go back to your homes!" Another enthusiastic guard commands.

"He's got ‘go back to your homes right' but ‘nothing to see here' is not quite true." The captain thinks. "At least we have space for her and order, even if they are just staring."

Not that there wasn't anything to stare at. The Hero of Time just walked into town with a twenty-seven foot country girl trailing behind and she's got the longest set of pigtails the country has ever seen. With the two braids reaching her waist Malon may have gotten attention at normal size but with them stretching out a few yards and swaying as she walked she made for a diverting sight to say the least. Still not used to being the center of attention she looks around then waves shyly at the crowd. The stunned citizens wave back for the most part, dumbstruck at her just walking through like there's nothing wrong with the scene. Before long she's gone up the castle walkway. All of the fuss and arguing for an event that lasted all of three minutes. As the majority of the castle security force files back toward the castle one stays behind. He has a question.

"Was that enough explanation, Mrs. Johnson?"

X

Heading through the castle gate Link is talking with the guard while Malon is still looking back toward the market. Seems some of the crowd has followed her up the path but Hyrule's finest weren't letting them get too close. The whole thing bothers the monumental but still bashful farm girl.

"So we're clear to walk through?" Link asks. "How does Zelda want to do this?"

"Well she just said to have you two walk through." The sentry replies, opening the gate. "What do you want me to say?"

"So what about-"

"That big turnout for lil ole me?" The redhead says aloud, still awestruck.

"You're hardly little, pardon me for saying miss." The guard pipes up.

"Can't say I didn't warn you." Link chuckles. "How'd it feel?"

"Like I thought being on stage would be like. I was real nervous."

"You did fine."

"What is important is that you made it on time. The princess is waiting so I suggest you go before you're late."

"Okay but what about-"

"Alright." Malon turns toward the castle. "Shall we, Fairy Boy?"

"One second. What about-"

"There's nothing else I can tell you." The guard says, shutting the gate after the vast visitor ducks through it. "Better get a move on."

"Let's go; I wanna see the castle!" She sounds like a little girl pleading. "Come on!"

Link sighs. "What about the hedge maze?" He thinks to himself.

He need not have worried though. The castle gardeners had spent the entire morning uprooting a straight path for Malon to walk through the maze all the way to the courtyard. Not only that but guards lined the walkway, leaving other routes closed to prevent getting lost and the way clear. Even overhanging foliage had been removed for the visitor's convenience. At 3:28 Link and the guest of honor step on the veranda to meet with the head of the kingdom actually early of all things.

"Thank you for coming." Says the castle doorman who has apparently abandoned his post for the occasion. "If I could take your things, Link?"

The green clad hylian gives him an annoyed look. "We've been through this before." He thinks to himself. "You journey through a bunch of trials then hand off what you get to someone random. No sale."

Brushing off the daggers Link threw his way with his gaze the greeter turns to Malon. "If you would sit down-"

"I'm fine thank you." The auburn maned one replies, looking down at the castle emissary. "As a matter of fact I'm lookin' around." She raises an eyebrow. "Is that a problem?"

"N- no, not at all." The doorman stammers. "I was merely suggesting you get comfortable..."

"The ground'll be there when I'm ready for it. My behind ain't never failed to find it, don't think it needs directions." She smiles a wry smile.

The chagrined servant can't quite share her smile however. "Ah, I see. Well, as you will; Zelda will be along shortly." He bows shakily and goes into the castle.

"You didn't have to do that." Link mentions as the doorman disappears through the threshold.

"Do what?" Malon asks absently, scanning the castle parapets.

"Talk to him like that. I mean-"

"He didn't have to interrupt either. He could see I was busy. I just told him that. Wasn't like somethin' was pressin'. It isn't standin' room only around here; just ain't no chairs. There's plenty of space."

"He was just doing his job."

"I didn't see you listen to him either."

She's got him there. "...well I didn't tell him off either." He replies candidly.

Now Malon gives Link that same look she just gave the castle greeter. "Well I'm not a regular here so excuse me for lookin' around somewhere I ain't been before."

"Doesn't mean you need to be impolite about it."

"One good turn deserves another and I can surely say I don't need to be told to set my butt down like I'm five years old when I can figure that much out when I'm tired of standin' up!" She looks displeased at her own conclusion and meets Link's gaze. "How about that?"

"I can't argue with that." He admits to himself. So he shrugs. "Can't say much to that." He concurs.

"Sometimes you got to be impolite to speak your mind. Cain't let people walk all over you."

He doesn't reply. There is silence for a time as she takes advantage of her height to peer into the castle's insanely large windows to check out what passes for royal décor. When another person in the leisure area joins them she's the last to know as she's intent on the inside of the castle.

"Good of you to come." Says a voice from beneath the shade of a tree.

"Hi to you too, Impa." Link replies.

"I see you persuaded Link to let you come."

Malon giggles and turns around. "You thought I wouldn't?"

The sheikah smirks. "I did have my doubts."

The gargantuan guest of honor giggles again. "He doesn't know how to tell anyone ‘no' yet so..." She just smiles a silly smile while Link has a petulant look on his face. "Here we are."

Impa chuckles. "And it is good to see you."

"Ah, I'm so glad you were able to make it." Princess Zelda makes her appearance. Link gets down on one knee. Malon, following his cue, does the same. Lifting her dress hem she kneels and with a slight tremor through the area lays one knee to the ground, leaving a depression in otherwise perfect grounds keeping. "Okay, stop. You two didn't come here for that to be the highlight of your day." Her guests rise. "Let me thank you for coming once again."

"Of course." Link replies.

"You're welcome, princess."

"Zelda please if you would, Malon."

"Alright your majesty." Her majesty gives the redhead a funny look. "I mean Zelda, whoops..."

The monarch laughs. "It's okay. You aren't quite able to fit in the dungeon anyway so don't worry about it. Speaking of that, how do you like this old place?"

"It is nice..." Malon says quietly. "I've always wanted to see it."

"It is a castle. The ceilings are on the high side, I'd almost say it would fit you."

"Mmhmm. I want one."

Zelda laughs softly again. "I can see why but I'm not sure I can let you have this one."

The behemoth backwoods belle smiles. "I'm sure you didn't call us here to swap houses. Though I will if you're offering."

"You're right. But let's get to that after lunch." Zelda sits. "Care to share it with us?"

"We did come all the way here, I'd hope you didn't plan to make us watch you eat." She sits across from Zelda after giving Link a chance to get clear. He takes a seat next to his immediate supervisor and Impa sits across from him next to hers as servants bring in the refreshments.

The lead one brings tea and cups on a silver tray. Next to him is one with a salad mixed and bowls to hand out while on the leader's other side is one with a tray of sandwiches. After dispensing their refreshments they disappear back into the palace without a word. Malon looks like she's going to say something as she's feeling a bit left out but her hostess holds up a finger in the "one moment" motion and as though that is the signal the procession starts.

First comes her teakettle sitting on a plate. Six people bear it as the pot is full of hot tea while two more set down her cup and saucer next to it. A second saucer appears with two men carrying it and it has a scone that would qualify as a couch cushion to their guest upon it. One of the people carrying it looks at her and mouths the words "I knew it" before withdrawing with a bow like the rest. Next comes her salad bowl with four people on both sides of it. This is set to her left and three more workers with freshly cast silverware set those next to her salad. Then another eight servants come before Malon with a sandwich, setting this between the salad and the tea, then vanishing with neither stare nor sound to reappear with two more before bowing and leaving the diners be. The hush carries for around another minute while the guests at the event start putting it all together. Zelda breaks the silence the only way you can when you find yourself unable to correctly accommodate a guest.

"Let me be the first to say I'm sorry." The princess apologizes. "This was not-"

"It's alright." Malon replies softly, cutting her off. "You did try."

"I intended for this to be much closer to correct."

"You failed on that one..." Link muses silently.

"I know; I appreciate the effort."

"This reflects badly on me given how much attention to detail was missed."

"It does not. You didn't measure me and you didn't do too bad guessin'...I'm just a bit smaller than you thought."

"I was trying so hard-"

"Worse things have happened hon." Malon says gently. "I'll make do."

"But..."

The outsized girl simply smiles and shakes her head. "Shush." Zelda is about to protest but someone's not paying her any mind. "Anyone ever tell you that it's impolite to talk with your mouth full?"

Zelda could point out she hadn't started eating yet but Malon doesn't seem to be paying attention. She appears to be puzzling the best way to attack her meal. "This is what humiliation is..." The princess thinks, watching her guest contemplate how to eat. "I want a refund on the Triforce of Wisdom if I couldn't see this coming."

Malon had one thing on her side though. The blacksmith, to his credit, had been closest to right so her silverware was proportioned to be useful. However the intrepid head chef had made his will known in the kitchen and got to the clay workers before the forge master so her main problem was that the food and dishes were way too big for her to mess with.

"Salad I can do." She realizes. "The bowl's a tad big but I don't have to lift it." Looking at the sandwiches she's got a tactic for them too. "I'll cut one of those monster things in half and see if I can handle it. They're bigger than my cows; you call that finger food?" She can't help but giggle at the thought and given the library atmosphere everyone looks at her for an explanation. "Finger food." She says smiling timidly and pointing at a sandwich that could grow legs and walk for the amount of ham on it.

Zelda laughs despite herself. "Hmm, I suppose you're right." She smiles at her guest.

"It is a loose term." Impa agrees with a chuckle. "Perhaps."

"Really?" Link sounds genuinely puzzled. "Did you invite Biggoron by mistake?"

"No...who's that?" Zelda asks.

Link things about it then waves dismissively. "I'd have to take you to meet him."

"I wanna go!" Malon pipes up.

"Well you can the next time I stop up to see my brother."

"Good." She finishes with her salad (as much as she plans on eating) and starts cutting a sandwich in half. "I need to see him anyway."

"Oh really?" The gallant gadget user is curious. "Why?"

Malon doesn't answer. She's got her sandwich in hand and is implementing plan no. 2. She's also wondering how Zelda got bread to rise higher than two feet and not burn it but that's a question soon answered. It's a little gooey on the inside and a tad undercooked but no one in the kingdom had enough baking experience to perfect a bun that size. She takes a bite and actually likes it. A little heavy on the mayo but pretty good though it's sagging in the middle from it all. She turns to see if Link's enjoying himself and that's when the not so crispy bread tears and the filling of the sandwich finds its way into the air. It's not falling long though and soon the Hero of Time is making quite a fashion statement.

Link's mouth is opening and closing as he's swallowing air like a fish out of water. His eyes are tightly shut and his hands are wrapped in a death grip around his teacup that is not filled with tea anymore. He takes off his hat, which is covered in sandwich filling and wipes his face. It does next to nothing for cleaning his countenance but he opens his eyes afterward and looks up at Malon with a strange gaze. "What I get for sitting close and keeping company..." He thinks to himself.

By now she's laughing despite herself still holding the empty slices in her hands. "Can I say I'm sorry?" The ham-covered hylian shakes his head. "I can't?" He shakes his head again. "Oh..." She thinks a second. "Can I say ‘too much mayo'?" Link nods this time. So she turns to turns to the crown ruler of the nation. "You know something, Zelda?"

"I have a feeling I might." The princess replies, giving Link a fresh cup of tea. "What is it, Malon?"

"I'm thinkin'...too much mayonnaise."

Looking at Link who is still covered in the stuff with tomato, lettuce and ham adhering to him she nods. "I'm agreeing with you on that." She hands the sticky hylian a napkin. "A little too much."

"I don't like Link with much mayo. I'm more a light mayo type."

"I admit I like generous amounts. Impa is a ‘hold the mayo' type." The shadow sage nods.

"I think Link is fine this way though." Zelda concludes.

"Link doesn't like mayonnaise either!" He bursts out.

"Do you recall asking him?" Malon queries of the ladies across from her. They shake their heads. "Cause I surely didn't." Of course this sets him to fuming but it's worth a smile and fixes the atmosphere.

Zelda pours Impa and herself a second cup of tea and the guest of honor realizes she's thirsty too. The reason she hasn't had anything to drink is that the kettle is easily knee high and she's not sure she's up to pouring it in a washbasin sized teacup. But thirst is insistent so she gives it a go.

She stands and grabs the pot by the handle and bottom. Lifting it with a little effort, as it is full to the brim, she tilts it towards her cup. It immediately tips while she's pouring but ever-helpful Link jumps up to right the container. She doesn't want to splash him with hot tea though so she draws back and holds the teapot upright. Or attempts to. In trying to stop the stream of caffeine refreshment the handle snaps. Between the kettle being too full and not enough clay being used for the handhold Malon is about to lose control and shower Link in herbal tea. Fumbling as best she can with a somewhat hot piece of oversize pottery she manages to turn the spout from the ground. Doing this leaves the colossal cozy sideways and the lid goes flying off and the deluge finds its way into the grass, into her cup...and onto Link as well. Everyone recoils at his sudden bellow of pain and that brings quiet time back to the courtyard.

Link's eyes are tightly closed again and he's breathing somewhat rapidly through his nose, you can hear it audibly. He removes his hands from the disproportionate teacup and takes his hat and wipes at his reddening face. It's not any drier for it but he opens his eyes anyway. "I call that being helpful..." He thinks looking at the source of his dampness with that unreadable ‘why me?' look.

Malon is looking outright guilty with the teapot still in her hands. "I'm-" Link shakes his head. "At least-" He shakes his head again. She opens her mouth to speak a third time but he's already expressing disapproval. She holds a finger to her lips with a quizzical look on her face and he nods. She sighs and reaches for her teacup, which had become half-full during all this but he becomes quite animated at that and lunges at the container, overturning it. Giving his action some thought she sighs again and closes her eyes, bowing her head in shame. "Could've seen that coming..." She thinks. "Can't blame him."

"There's more tea in the castle." Zelda mentions.

"I've had enough, thank you." Link replies.

"I was talking to-"

"I'm good." He insists.

"...nevermind."

"Now before I find a way to annoy Link with this..." Malon heaves her mattress-sized scone into the moat, getting a smile out of the soggy sword slinger and takes her seat again. "Not that I don't like your hospitality but you did call us here for a reason and I really don't think I could've got him here if this was it."

"You are right..." Zelda concurs, hedging a bit. "I have something to say..."

"Hmmm?"

"It's hard for me to begin..."

A servant comes in, having heard the commotion with a towel over his arm. Link takes it and the butler vanishes like a phantom.

"Well start with the first word then put them in order." Malon suggests.

"I'm not sure how I want to say it. It's about how we first met..."

Her guest seems distracted and almost as though she's not paying attention again. This time because she's taken the hero's towel in one hand and swooped him up with the other. He's trying to get free but that's a no-go. "Oh, stop it!" She mumbles, shifting her hold on him. "It's my fault so let me." She starts drying him like one would a young child, gently wiping off the sticky beverage she'd drenched him in. He looks ready to protest but she shushes him, which amuses Impa enough to have a light laugh at his expense. "You were saying?" Malon asks, addressing the princess.

"I was. At the lake you made some good points, I just wanted you to know that and..."

"...and?" She finishes drying Link, leaving him in her embrace, and they both turn their full attention to Zelda. "I'm listenin'."

"...and I'm sorry." The blonde hylian admits. "I didn't listen and I took advantage of Link so that whole thing at the lake was my fault."

"That takes a whole lot of guts to own up to." Malon mentions.

"He said he didn't want to do any of it but I pressed him till he said he would. I kind of knew he'd give."

"You know he can't say no to his friends." Zelda nods. "That's his problem, can't stick up for himself. Stick a sword in somethin' easy; he's plenty brave. Just hates to disappoint I suppose."

"I am still here..." Link ruminates. "You don't have to talk like I'm not." He sulks inwardly till he gets a little squeeze reminding him she knows he's present. "I can speak up for myself...though if I were better at it none of that would've happened..."

"That doesn't make what I did right. I said things I shouldn't have and it got out of hand. My sincerest apologies to you both." Zelda stands and bows respectfully.

Malon smiles a tiny bit as her hostess sits back down. "I came here with somethin' to get off my chest too. I wasn't too happy with the way we met up myself." She admits. Link turns to look up at the enormous country girl as Zelda and Impa are paying rapt attention "Stop fidgeting, you..." She chides, squeezing him again. "I'm trying to talk."

"I'd like to hear what's on your mind if you don't mind telling me." Zelda says quietly, not trying to interrupt.

The redhead takes a deep breath. "Well I didn't come here to take back what I said; I meant every word otherwise I wouldn't have said it." The princess's face falls slightly. "That ain't to say I'm not tryin' to apologize. I could've come at you with more class than I did and I wasn't trying to give the wrong impression. I was quick to judge you and that wasn't fair of me."

"I didn't like the way you talked to me." The princess says softly.

"I surely didn't like what I saw happenin' there. I said what I did to get my point across before too late."

"That, you did." Zelda leans forward, forehead in hand.

"I may have upset you but I'm about positive neither of us were too happy at the time."

"An understatement if I ever heard one." She mumbles.

"But we're here now. Do you see any reason we can't be friends?"

"It all turned out for the best...so I don't see why not."

"You may have done some things I didn't like but that doesn't mean we can't get this right."

"I agree whole-heartedly." The ruler of the kingdom looks back up at her special guest. "Do you accept my apology?"

"Only if you accept mine."

Zelda smiles and stands. "Then it was a pleasure dining with you Malon."

"Likewise Zelda."

"I have to say this was worth the trouble." Impa thinks, watching the ladies bow courteously to each other. "Really."

"Now get Link out of here before he catches a chill."

Malon giggles. "Yes, your highness."

"Hey!" The damp destroyer of evil sounds annoyed.

"Shhh, she's right." The farm girl puts a finger to Link's lips, stifling further protests.

"Mmphf!" Everyone can see his frowning face as he's treated to some quiet time. "Mmmf!"

"How many times I have to tell you to be quiet?" She shakes her head, smiling a big grin. "I swear you don't listen." Zelda and Impa are both laughing as Malon leaves the courtyard with Link in hand hard enough for him to feel embarrassed but no one is giving that much thought as usual.

"Not to mention hilarious." Impa considers as an afterthought.

X

In Zora's domain one person is walking the halls. Highly agitated she's burning off energy the only way she can think of. On her fourth pass near her father he shakes his head and calls her to him.

"Ruto, is something wrong?" The King of the Zora asks, knowing full well the answer. "Your pacing worries me."

"Daddy..." Ruto whines plaintively, plopping down beside him.

"Yes my daughter?"

"He took her to the castle today; everyone is talking about it."

"Oh, are they?"

"Yes! They say he's hanging off her like they're connected somewhere."

"I see..."

"What do I do daddy? I can't just let her take him away from me!"

"I'll question if you had him to begin with..." The father thinks to himself. "If she's got this much of a hold on him what kind of chance did you have?" The look on his daughter's face says she's heard this before from other zoras earlier today. She seems to be silently pleading with him with her eyes to give her a reprieve, a fragment of hope for her to hold onto so he's said nothing yet.

"Daddy?"

"One moment, precious. I'm thinking."

The majestic aquatic persona is racking his brain. For a moment he too has nothing but that won't do. His daughter's happiness is riding on this and as much as this bothers him he wants to see her happy. "I think you're going to have to change tactics. If he's not going to come to you, you're going to have to make him."

"How do I do that?"

"I'm not exactly sure. If you could show him some things about her he didn't like or bother him then maybe..."

"Maybe..."

"But it's still up to him. However if you point out things he doesn't like he may come your way."

Ruto smiles. "I've got an idea."

"Good. Just watch her and figure out what she's about. Bide your time. Make your moves well."

"You're smart, daddy. You always know what to say." The water princess flounces off to her quarters.

"I could debate that." The king murmurs to himself. "But I just hope she doesn't get into trouble over him."

X

Back at Lon Lon Ranch Link is tackling the evening chores and some half-done ones from the afternoon (given Talon did those). Malon is sitting on one side of the horse enclosure looking up at the night sky. A few guays cross against the light of the moon with a little cawing but it's a pretty quiet night.

"It went much better than I thought at the castle today." She thinks to herself. "Zelda's a lot more mature than I gave her credit for. Even so I'm a long way from setting it all right..." She muses a while, her mind wandering from various subjects and she's distracted despite doing nothing to begin with.

Link finishes inside the stables and comes out. His supervisor seems to be in a trance and doesn't notice when he sits nearby. He's content to put his feet up and not interrupt but he does have a question.

"Hey Malon..." He calls out. "You awake?"

"Huh?" She visibly starts like one tapped while napping. "Not really..." She looks around and spots the one ruining her thinking time. "What do you want?"

The bearer of the Triforce of Courage smirks. "What kind of answer is that? Either you're awake or you're not; you definitely can't say ‘not really'."

"What do you want, Sticky Boy?"

"First, that was your fault for spilling tea on me. Second, I'm not sticky anymore. I prefer Fairy Boy while not having a fairy over Sticky Boy while not sticky."

Malon rolls her eyes with a small smile. "Was there somethin' I could help you with or were you going to settle for bein' annoyin'?"

"So how'd you like the castle? What did you think of today?" Link queries. "You had a reason to go and made me so spill."

She nods slowly. "I have been thinkin' about it..." She sighs slightly. "Like you read my mind there almost."

"And?"

"Somethin' broke my train of thought...wonder what that was?" She shoots Link a look that lets him know exactly what with a half-smile.

"Ah, sorry."

"It's alright. It was goin' in circles anyway. Same ole worries."

"I'm going to look puzzled and see if that works. I just asked her what she was thinking."

"Now you look confused; what's on your mind Fairy Boy?"

Link smacks his forehead and looks disappointed. "Don't ask what I'm worried about. What are you worried about?"

"I think I should pay the rest of your friends a visit. I want to be clear how we stand."

He nods. "Makes sense but that's not a serious worry; none of them bite as far as I know."

"I wouldn't take bets." Malon says slowly. "I think Ruto'd let me have every tooth in her head if she could sink em in me..." She reflects.

"There's more to it than that. Somehow I don't think how Ruto feels about you is what's keeping you awake at night."

She grins at his conclusion. "Fair enough. What it is..." She's looking back up at the sky at the moon again. "It's been a good while now. I've been wonderin' how much longer I can keep you here workin'. You aren't a farmer and I ain't paid you."

"Quit that. I don't mind, how many times do I have to tell you?"

"It's not easy and takes up a lot of time. This ranch is my life not yours..."

"I wouldn't watch you land in a bind like this either without trying to help. I know how much this place means to you."

"Doesn't stop me from wantin' to be normal an' do it myself."

"..."

"I'm costing a lot of money too. Don' think I'm clueless to how much food runs for me."

"You're right." The hero has an epiphany. "I could be Bomchu Bowling with all that money!"

She ignores his remark. "That blanket had to cost a fortune."

"There went my formal wear. He'll never make me a tuxedo after that..."

"Be serious, Link! Will I ever get back to normal?"

He shrugs. "I'm still no good with a crystal ball. What can I tell you?"

"Is there a cure for this?"

"Your guess is as good as mine."

"I cain't just depend on you. If somethin' happens then..."

"Have some faith. I'm pretty good at the hero thing."

"Oh, okay. Good to hear that. I guess I don't have to worry." Malon remembers something. "Say Fairy Boy, ever dropped a foal?"

"Ever...what a what?"

"Dropped a foal. Horses'll start calving soon. Looks like I'll have to talk you through it."

"What are you talking about?"

"Giving birth to baby horses, silly."

"Don't they do that themselves?" Link looks uncomfortable.

"We can help a lot with labor. This season I'm predictin' you'll be busy."

"How... does that work?"

"I'm not thinkin' I should tell you now; you're lookin' a little green around the gills. When the time comes you'll find out first hand believe me."

"You-you can tell me. I can handle it." He sounds shaky just saying it. "Really."

"I don't think you can but I do got one hint for you. I can start callin' you ‘Sticky Boy' again."

The look on Link's face is very special. It's one normally reserved for dismembered bodies and scents that make skunks smell lovely. And this one is complete with a greenish hue around the face and wobbly legs. He's not opening his mouth and that's because there's a chance he could vomit right now so he's quiet.

"What's wrong Sticky Boy?" Malon giggles. "You can handle it can't you?"

He pulls himself together to where he can keep his lunch down and talk. "I'm thinking maybe not."

"Really? You'll make a fine midwife for the horses and cows too. Someone's got to do it."

"I'd rather not."

"Oh, that's a shame. Some of the colts are coming of age soon but I'm sure you'd faint if I told you what that meant and what you'd have to do."

"You know, for some reason, I am completely sure you have something creative to say that would make that prediction true. I'll pass."

"But it's a doozy."

"Some things I don't need to know."

"It's nothin' a hero couldn't handle."

"Normally I'd say let me be the judge of that but I know better. I'm positive I don't even want a clue this time."

"Aww, you're no fun..." The ponderous girl pouts.

"No, you're not normal. You're telling me that's going to be a whole lot less fun soon. Pardon me for not jumping for joy."

"It will be fun though. I'll be right behind you with the bucket of water in case- I mean when you pass out. Every time." She giggles at the thought, the whole thing has her in a giddy mood. "Be strong, Sticky Boy. If I can do it so can you with a little practice...and a lot of water."

"You've got to get back to normal."

X

Back at Hyrule Castle the cleanup is still in progress. The gardeners are working to replace the transplanted parts of the hedge maze, the servants are trying to deal with all the excess food and outsized dishes while the groundskeepers are still getting mayonnaise and tea off the castle veranda. No one has even looked at the enormous roll dissolving in the moat that ducks from all around have gathered to peck at. Zelda is returning from the kitchen where her and the head chef had some hot words. She wasn't pleased with his measurements of the party materials and she let him know it. Word had gotten back to him before her arrival through a smug blacksmith and pastry cook so no surprises there.

"Ready for bed, princess?" Impa asks as her charge re-enters the throne room. "You've had quite the busy day."

"I suppose but something is bothering me." Zelda mentions. "Even with the Triforce of Wisdom I can't figure it out."

"What is that?" The sheikah inquires as they begin to walk to the royal chambers.

"For the life of me I can't understand it. Why is he more comfortable around her than he is with me?"

"Hmm...well there's a couple reasons for that. He knows her better is the main one."

"Even though she's much bigger than he is and could hurt him by mistake he'd rather sit next to her than me?"

"That isn't what I meant. You're taking this the wrong way." She opens the door to Zelda's quarters and they step inside. "You do remember that they've known each other longer, don't you?"

"Link said he met us both around the same time. He went to the ranch then came to the castle his first few days outside the forest."

Impa sighs. "You're being silly. We went into hiding after he found the spiritual stones. You weren't around much after that."

"Ah, yes..." The princess remembers, looking somewhat sad. "But how well could you know someone to just..."

"Let her treat him the way she does?"

"Yes."

"Well I'm certain there was some trial and error. He was probably not thrilled at first but they've spent a lot of time together beforehand. He trusted her to begin with."

"She dropped a sandwich on him and doused him in hot tea! He just sat back down next to her like nothing happened!"

"There are still some mistakes. She's only human. It looks like he accepts that and doesn't mind it all that much."

"He could get seriously hurt!"

"She's not trying to harm him so he's comfortable with the risk. He didn't look too uncomfortable while she was holding him...so I guess there's good parts to it too."

"That's not fair...he still stiffens up around me..."

"Which brings me to reason number two. When they met it was as young children playing around and being friends. When you and Link met it was hero to princess. It wasn't the type of thing that leaves much room for jokes. There was a matter of significant gravity at stake. They joke and kid around because that's how they met. You don't slouch in front of the acting queen."

"Is there anything I can do?"

"Get to know Link better outside this castle. He's not at his best at dining engagements, as I'm sure you can see. Time is all it takes."

"I guess I have to make the effort then if that's what I want." Zelda pulls her covers over herself. "That's all there is too it."