- Text Size +
Story Notes:
You are really going to want to read Red Haired Girl first. It's the first story and if you don't the entire premise of what's happening will make absolutely no sense I assure you.
Author's Chapter Notes:

"A true friend puts the well-being of friendship above thier own."

Saria of calm forest

IIt's an ordinary day in Hyrule. The sun rises and dawn is still in the early stages when the rooster crows. This is of no concern to a certain hylian who sees the merits in sleeping late but still has a direct bearing on his beauty rest. He can't sleep through the bird's noise, which was the design behind it, and groggily wakes up.

"Morning already?" Link mumbles, rolling over in bed. "Ugh." He buries his face in his pillow. "Uh uh."

"Come on, get up." Cajoles a voice from outside.

The Hero of Time humors the voice a moment. He flips back over and sits erect. "I'm up." He says.

"Good. Now come outside. Time to work."

Link looks out the open window. He sees Malon waiting outside. A few seconds later finds him flopped back into the mattress. "No." He hides under the covers again pretending daylight can't find him.

Malon can plainly see that being nice isn't going to work. But when you're twenty-seven feet two and one-quarter inches tall you have a lot of options. "Don' make me come in there after you!" She chides. Her threat has no effect so after giving him a moment to surrender she reaches into the window. She tugs the bed frame closer with one hand and lifts the mattress free of the posts with the other, tilting him slightly. Then she rolls him off the cushion onto the floor and confiscates it, withdrawing her hand from the room.

"Hey!" Link exclaims groggily. "Give that back!"

"Nothin' doin' hon." The redhead replies, giggling. "It's time to work!"

The disoriented lad glares out the window at his insistent alarm clock and yawns. "Give that back!" He demands again of the face filling the portal.

"Come and get it lazy boy!" Malon goads, standing up. "I'll let you have it if you can take it from me!" Now her white print dress is all that can be seen.

Link walks out of the lodging in short order. Taking one look up at his bed and his friend holding it hostage he comes to one conclusion. "It's too early for this..." He says, shaking his head. "Just give me the bed back, please?"

The enormous farm girl appears to consider it. But she's feeling playful so that doesn't reflect well upon the odds of Link getting any more rest. "I did say I'd let you have it...but you have to take it from me." She reminds him.

The former champion puts a hand to his forehead and closes his eyes. "You know I can't reach that high." He says, not amused. "Put it where I can get it."

"You're a spoilt sport." Malon pouts. "Fine, here it is." She sets the mattress on the roof of the house. "Go on, you can have it."

Link looks up at his tormentor. She's still smiling and that seems suspicious but he can plainly see the mattress atop the dwelling at waist level for her. It's better than before since there was no way he was going to get it down from above her head. "Thank you." He says, pulling out his hookshot. She just giggles mischievously in return and something tells him that isn't good but he pays commonsense no mind. So it's a surprise when he's on the rooftop grabbing hold of the gateway to dreamland and he's on the ground again. "Hey!"

Malon laughs. "Is somethin' wrong, Fairy Boy?"

Link is about to tell the titaness exactly what his problem is but decides against it. "She knows, I know she does." He says nothing and grapples onto the shingles again. As soon as he touches his target he's gently hoisted up and set back on the ground. He gives the oversize prankster the best glare he can muster but remains silent.

"I ain't done nothin' to you..." She says innocently. "Where are you goin'?"

Of course Link doesn't reply but it's apparent soon enough. He scales the far side of the house and appears on the roof next to the mattress again, this time watching her closely. She looks at him regarding her so seriously and has a hard time remaining composed.

"I ain't done nothin'..." The colossal country girl reiterates. It's a trial not to pick him up again but she finds the willpower. "Go on ahead, I won't bother you..." She sounds defeated but raises her hands in acquiescence.

The savior of Hyrule is still watching her shrewdly but she isn't doing anything, true to her word. He feints a move toward the bed but Malon doesn't react at all. Finding it safe to continue he grabs the centerpiece of the guest room with one hand and turns around to drag it away. "It's like pulling up a stubborn bomb flower..." Link notes to himself. "It can't be this heavy." He looks back at the mattress as he tears a sizable chunk of roofing loose with his feet pulling on the mattress. "I should've known..." He mumbles, kicking the loose shingles to the ground.

Malon is preoccupied with something on the other side of the farm. She's trying hard not to meet his eyes though a smile is still evident on her face. "Hmm?" She asks, pretending not to have been paying attention. "You say somethin'?

"You weren't going to let me go back to sleep were you?"

"Nope." She admits, removing her hand from the bed. "And now you done gone and tore a hole in my roof too?" She shakes her head. "You got work to do."

"I didn't- you...I give up."

X

In the throne room of Hyrule Castle Zelda sits, wistfully staring out of the window bathed in sunlight. An expression of sadness creases her features and she sighs. Her ever so attentive attendant can't help but wonder why.

"Is there something wrong, princess?" Impa asks, approaching Zelda.

The lone figurehead doesn't respond. She gazes up at the sky as though asking a question. Finding the response unsatisfactory she bows her head and shakes it imperceptibly. "He's not going to visit today either." She intones to herself.

"I beg your pardon?" The retainer is upon her now. "I didn't quite hear."

"It's nothing." Her majesty says hastily, keeping her face turned away. "Do not worry yourself Impa."

"You cannot deceive me, princess." The shadow sage admonishes gently. "I've known you too long." She takes the chin of her charge in her hand and slowly brings the eyes of the monarch to meet her own. "Something disquiets you. It has for the last few nights past. I want to know what."

"You are right." Zelda concedes. "You always are." She sighs again.

"What is it?"

"It's been over two weeks." The girl says plainly.

"Hmm? I'm not sure I understand."

"It's been over two weeks since I've seen Link. Do you think he's still angry at me?"

"Oh." Impa realizes, thinking back. "I don't know. He didn't seem angry to me. Not really. Malon was incensed enough for the both of them..." Zelda cringes remembering her first meeting. "...but he didn't seem to be holding ill will towards you."

"Then why is he avoiding me?"

"Perhaps you are using the wrong term. I'm sure that he is quite busy working. He has a farm to maintain." Impa chuckles. "He's a ranchman now, remember?"

"Of course. How silly of me. It's just that I miss him."

"I understand. Would you like me to summon him?"

"I would like to see him but making him come to visit isn't fair. I wouldn't want to vex him again, not after last time."

"Ah, yes. Malon is quite vocal about us treating him fairly as I remember."

"Don't remind me..." Zelda groans. "That whole marriage incident at the lake, brr. I don't relish the thought of being yelled at again."

"Mayhap you should invite them both." Impa suggests. "To show you have no hard feelings about what happened."

"I just might though." The princess thinks to herself. "No one has the right to chastise me, especially some bumpkin farm girl..."

"It would be a good time to get off to a better start with her as well. The olive branch would be a great thing to extend."

"You're right." The acting queen looks around. "The ceilings are high enough...why not?" She turns back to her attendant. "Inform Link that he is cordially invited to have lunch at the castle and that he may bring a guest. Let's see if we can do it tomorrow."

"Of course, princess." The shadow sage leaves immediately.

X

On the farm Link is going through his most difficult trial yet. Having fed the animals and cleaned out the pens in addition to milking the cows he's accustomed to a break. Imagine his surprise when instead of taking a siesta he's back on the roof in the act of replacing shingles.

"Go on." Malon encourages. "Get goin'."

"I haven't done this type of thing before." Link says sheepishly. "I'm a hero, not a carpenter."

"It won't take you too long." She says in a persuasive voice. "You've got a hammer and nails, get to it."

"You could call one of Hyrule's actual carpenters." Link suggests. "You really don't want me to do this."

"I know hiring those lazy bums'll take way too long. By the time they get here and get started you could've been done."

"But what if I put a hole-"

"I sure hope you don't." Malon sits down next to the house. "I'll watch."

Link sighs, there's no arguing with her. "I'd rather fight; that's what I'm good at." He murmurs, looking at the hammer and nails a time before picking them up. "Here goes..." He's just about to swing when he hears her laugh from behind him. "What now?"

"Who me?" His supervisor tries to straighten her expression. "Nothing..."

"I believe that." Link says sarcastically. "Come on."

"Well, I do have one hint." The redhead confesses. "You might want to turn the hammer the other way unless you're aimin' to tear a hole in the roof for real. I sure hope you got the nails point down too."

The novice craftsman looks at his backwards arrangement puzzled. "If I don't want to make a hole in the roof turn the hammer this way but put the nails in point down and cause a dozen leaks?" He shakes his head slowly and switches their directions.

"Had ‘em both turned around." She says. "Glad I said somethin'."

"Thanks." Link says slowly. "Anyway..." He raises the hammer and brings it down to affix the first shingle. Never having exceptional hand-eye coordination and missing his fairy Navi is not a good combination. He doesn't hit his intended mark and a word popped out of his mouth that you certainly don't learn in Kokiri forest.

"Oh, potty mouth Fairy Boy!" Malon scolds, fishing about for something caught in her dress. Finding it she picks it up gingerly. "And you dropped this." She hands Link back his tool.

"I didn't notice." The maintenance man replies with the injured digit in his mouth. "Wish I had lost it." He murmurs with a grimace.

"Well get back to work." The gargantuan girl grins. "That'll teach you to watch your step next time."

Link bites his tongue since he would only be encouraging her. He lifts the hammer and after some tentative taps gets a decent rhythm going. Half a dozen shingles later he feels like a decent roofer slamming the nails down with two good hits. He's almost enjoying himself until he makes another slip up nearly breaking his right index finger. The amateur carpenter bellows and loses his patience on the spot.

"Hey!" Malon says lightly. "Watch what you're doing!" She chides as the nail driver goes airborne in her direction again. "Don't over react now!" She turns serious and stands. "Hey!"

Link has blown his stack and withdrawn something from his nigh bottomless bag. The Megaton Hammer, which he plans to use to drive the nail he missed apparently. Malon is trying to stand and reach him at the same time and it's a failure. When the irked champion raises the heavy weapon above his head to strike though he overbalances backward and takes a tumble with the slope of the roof. He falls onto his supervisor upside down who catches him clumsily and falls back down to a sitting position. He does not look pleased.

"You're a handyman as well?" A voice says. "A jack of all trades aren't you?" The voice laughs at this conclusion.

Link's face becomes even less friendly at being seen like this while Malon perks up. "It's been a while." She says to the visitor. "What brings you around here?"

The shadow sage looks at the two of them and smiles at their positions. "Ah, I am on official business you see." She hands topsy-turvy Link a sealed letter.

The hero takes a moment to read it as Malon flips him over. "An invitation to the castle?" He says after finishing. "Tomorrow?"

Impa nods. "And you may bring a guest. Anyone of your choosing." She gives Malon an especially long look.

"Well I suppose I could give you the day off." Malon considers, not noting Impa's hint. "It's been a while since you stopped by there."

"Are you available?" The sheikah asks bluntly. "The princess desires your company as well."

"Me?" Malon looks startled half to death. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. She would like to speak with you both over tea tomorrow."

"No, I don't think so." Link says flatly. "I've got work to do."

"I'll get Talon's lazy behind to do it for once." Malon replies. "He sure could use the exercise but..."

"I don't think that's a good idea." The hero says dejectedly. "I wouldn't want to have another scene..." He reflects on her telling him of her first visit to the market town.

"It's not going to be like before." Impa says quickly. "The citizens will be alerted, streets cleared, everything necessary for both of you to come to the castle."

Link still has his suspicions but his companion seems taken with the idea. Before he can speak up again she rubs her chin with her free hand. "Ever since I was real young I always wanted to visit the castle..." She says wistfully.

"I'm not so sure-" He's cut off abruptly.

Malon reaches down and covers Link's face and upper body with one hand, pulling him from the conversation like a small child. "We'll think about it." She says courteously. "I'm touched she's extendin' her hospitality."

Impa smirks inwardly at Malon's reaction to Link's apparent objections. "I understand your apprehension; all either of us can ask is that you consider the offer." She turns to leave. "If you could be in attendance at around 3:30 or so that would be appreciated. I hope to see you tomorrow." The white haired lady walks off.

"You really want to go?" Link asks after Impa leaves. "You and Zelda didn't get off to the best start..."

"That's kinda why I want to go." The huge hylian affirms. "There's no call for either of us to be mad if we can be friends."

"Yeah..." Link concurs. "But that may not be as easy as it sounds."

"You let me worry about that. I'm not that hard to get along with." The ponderous girl stands. "Now are you going to get back up there and finish what you started?"

The temporary maintenance man almost pales at the query. "I was hoping she'd forgotten."

X

Back in the castle Impa has just returned from her errand. Entering the throne room she says nothing but the hint of a smile is traced on her features.

"So how did it go?" Zelda asks eagerly. "Shall I have guests tomorrow?"

"A more than fair chance my princess." Impa replies. "Malon is quite enthusiastic despite Link's misgivings." She giggles, not something she does often.

"Link didn't like the idea?" The regent seems puzzled. "I thought it would be perfect..."

"He was referring to his companion's first visit to Hyrule Castletown since her change. We should be better prepared this time."

"That's right!" Zelda appears frantic. "Preparations! We'll need utensils made, guards scheduled, and a good amount of tea...oh dear."

"We'll take care of it." Impa says calmly. "We've got the resources. So leave the security to me and you worry about the luncheon, okay?"

"Right." The princess composes herself but still appears troubled. "Impa?" She asks meekly.

"Yes?"

"Do you think this will work?"

"Of course. She's easy going enough. The question is are you ready for this?"

"I've never done anything like this before..." Zelda contemplates. "I'm not that good at apologies but I mean well and I'll be darned if I don't try!" Gathering her resolve she raises her eyes to meet those of her caretaker. "I am ready!" She declares confidently.

"That's my girl!"

X

In Zora's Domain one of the aquatic people isn't very happy. In fact she's sulking as she happens to have taken to doing of late.

"What's wrong, princess?" The king of the Zoras asks. "You've been pacing around and looking so sad lately, what is the matter?"

"There's a man I want and I can't have him." Ruto replies despondently. "I try so hard..."

"Preposterous!" The overlord exclaims. "You can have your pick of any zora in these halls! There's not one that wouldn't be happy to have you I'm sure!"

"I don't want one of them..."

"Did you meet one of the zora from far away? I know there's a hall outside Hyrule somewhere, I've just never been there."

"No..." The water sage sighs. "I want the one I gave the Zora's Sapphire to."

"The young hero? But he's human, you can't expect..." Alas his words don't seem to be of much cheer to her. It probably wouldn't do to mention that Link had already given the spiritual stone of water back either so he tries a different tactic. "Well why haven't you got him yet?"

"What?" Ruto is taken by surprise by the question. "You just said-"

"You have always been one to follow your own way." The king interrupts. "You were a stubborn, headstrong child and I imagine you still are. With all that in mind why don't I have a new son-in-law?"

"This girl won't let us be together." Ruto says softly. "She said some terrible things and..." She trails off, sobbing at the memory.

"I may not completely support what you're trying to do but I do fully support your finding happiness. If you believe that the hylian can make you happy then pursue him with all your might."

"Really?" The water dwelling lass sounds hopeful.

"Don't let some girl stop you! Win his affections with your charms; all's fair in love and war! Let no one and nothing stand in your way!"

"Thanks Daddy, I knew you'd understand!" Ruto slips off to her quarters happily.

"I actually don't." The king thinks to himself. "I just hope you stay out of trouble."

X

At Lon Lon Ranch night has fallen and the chores for the night are complete.

"Hey." Link asks, hopping the fence to the horse enclosure. "About tomorrow, what made you want to go?"

Malon misses his query at first. She is standing in the center of the corral humming a familiar tune and can't hear him. It takes several insistent tugs on her dress to get her attention and even then she doesn't seem to be very focused. "Hmm?" She looks down at the hero. "You need somethin'?"

"Why did you decide you want to go to the castle?" Link asks again. "The curiosity is getting to me."

"Oh, that?" Malon smiles and sits down with her arms wrapped around her knees. "I'm not sure but I guess it's guilt." She stares back up at the sky.

"Guilt?" The kokiri native raises an eyebrow. "What did you do?"

The outsized country gal laughs. "I suppose I think I played the bully that time around, the last time I saw her and the rest of your friends." She looks over at Link. "You remember any of what happened that day at the lake?"

"Not really." He admits. "Ruto was trying to marry me and you stopped it. Don't know much else..."

"Didn't think so." The redhead looks at the ground. "I said some things I shouldn't have. I tol' each of ‘em off in turn but thinkin' about it I didn't have the right to judge them."

"But if you hadn't stepped in I'd have zora cousins..." The swordsman says slowly.

"Don't get me wrong now, hon. I meant what I said to them but I want to set things right. I had no business treating them that way but they sure shouldn't have stood idly by either."

"Okay. I didn't understand for a minute. If you think you can sew things up with the princess then go right ahead. I won't try to stop you." Link sighs. "Not like I could anyway..."

Malon giggles and pushes him gently to one side with a free hand. "I'd listen to you. You don't have to wrestle with me to get what you want."

"Thank goodness." He sounds relieved. "It's about time for me to go to bed so could you grab my mattress off the roof where you left it?"

"I could..." His huge hostess giggles mischievously. "...or not."

"I did what you said! I replaced the shingles I tore, come on please?"

"I don't feel like it." She replies lazily.

"That isn't fair. You put it up there, get it down!" Link whines.

Malon ignores him and pulls up her tarp-sized quilt. "Nope." She says, stretching out. "You can keep me company if you want though."

"I guess I will, why not?" He decides as she rolls over on her side and pulls him close to her. "You beat the floor." He chuckles.

"I'd have got it down but I really didn't want to..." She whispers. "I will if you got to have it though."

"No, it's okay. You can be pretty persuasive." Link smiles. "Even when you're being silly."

"Mmm, good." She pulls the cover over them both. "Night Fairy Boy."