- Text Size +

As the ceiling came flashing down towards me I shut my eyes, knowing it was over.  A horrible crunching sound echoed around me and I put my hands over my ears, pointlessly really since I was doing it after the fact.  Except where was the pain?  The feeling of innumerable tons of weight shattering every bone in my body?  Opening my eyes I looked on in surprise.  It was horribly dark but I could see a faint edge of light in the distance.  Looking around I realized I was adjacent to a massive stone that rose above me.  Save by pure luck.  Looking just a few feet away I could see where Ash's shoe had connected completely with the ground.  If I'd been even a tiny bit further away from the rock I'd have been crushed.


The ceiling above me seemed to rock slightly and looking back at the rock I could see it shaking too.  Clearly it was big enough for  Ash to notice.  Meaning I needed to move fast, before she really did crush me.  Luckily I seemed to be near one edge of her shoe, otherwise there would've been no light at all.   


Moving quickly I was ducking to keep my head from hitting the bottom of the shoe.  As I neared the small crack where light was coming through I heard the sound of stone grinding against cement and something impacted me from above, sending me to the ground.  I lay there dazed for a second or two before realizing I was still alive.  Turning on my back I could see the brown ceiling mere inches from my face.  Ashley's twitching had probably knocked over the pebble so now it was lying sideways rather than facing straight up.  


I crawled over further towards the light.  And realized that the edge of her sandle was now too close to the ground.  Not even an ant could fit through all the way.  If I tried I'd end up being crushed at her slightest movement and she wasn't holding still, clearly bothered by the feeling of the pebble.  


As I wondered what to do next, the brown ceiling that had been threatening to crush me rose away once more.   Climbing back to my feet I watched as Ashley's collosal form quickly moved away from me alongside the two people she'd greeted.  My efforts hadn't even mattered.  I was only alive because she'd decided to leave.  And she hadn't even realized it.  


Of course now I had to figure out what to do.  The garage was out of reach.  I knew the layout of the yard and the step into the garage would be an insurmountable cliff.  The house was the same problem.   My best bet would be to get to a wall and follow it to where the tables were set for the party and then go near some purses or bags or something.  Hopefully someone would notice me when they reached for their stuff and being near the wall would keep me safe some unaware giant's treads.  


Plan of action decided I was fortunate to be near the garage wall already and more importantly it's shade.  The heat outside was already horrible and I could only imagine being caught out in the open naked.  I'd probably fry quite literally.  The next hour and a half were a mix of agony and boredom.  I set a brisk pace because I really didn't have all day and being out in the yard at night seemed like it'd be dangerous.  Every now and then I'd see a titanic person trundle by, their steps echoing in my ears.  At least three new groups of people arrived during my walk, each greeted by Ashley.  Voices distant but loud.  


I only saw one of them.  Well part of one anyways.  A giant white pillar crashed maybe 20 or 30 feet from where I was standing at the time.  It rose up to a matching shoe and I got a slightly glimpse of white skin that was quickly hidden by a billowing black curtain as the pillar rose away and slammed into the ground further away.  Other than a glimpse of long wavy blond hair going down her back and a guess that the woman was more heavily built than the blond I'd seen earlier but not so much so as Ashley I couldn't tell anything about her.  And almost as fast as I saw here she was out of sight, having headed into Jim and Ash's house.  It still amazed me things so large could move so fast.  


Finally I reached the corner of the garage and going around it could see a bunch of tables.  I quickly wrote off the ones out towards the yard.  There was no way I was going to go wandering through grass that was like a forest hoping someone would spot me.  The best bet were the two tables that were closest to the wall of the garage.  The first had three people at it.  I couldn't see one of them other than what looked like a black sandle from which some pale legs were extending up to some unknown point.  But I did recognize the other two people at it.  The first was Melanie.  She was a friend of my sister's.  A teacher if I was recalling correctly.  I didn't know her very well but she'd been nice the few times I had seen her at family parties.  She was about 5 and a half feet tall, had very wavy dark brown hair with matching eyes.  In her early 40's she had started putting some weight on but not overly so.  She seemed to be wearing a simple white t-shirt with brown shorts and some laceless brown shoes that I had no idea what brand they were.  But with one leg crossed I could see under them and the complete lack of heels or even patterns warned me I did not want to be wherever she stepped.  There'd be no chance of survival.  


The second person was another friend of my sisters, Lucy.  I knew even less about her than I did Melanie.  She seemed to be about of equal height to Melanie and was also wearing shorts although hers were blue instead of brown.   She wore black sandals and a dark tank top that seemed to be doing it's best not to burst open from a chest that would've been massive even if I'd been normal sized.  I remembered that from the few times she'd popped up on my Facebook due to posts from my sister that she'd struck me as being a bit on the vain side.  Which probably explained how despite presumably being the same age as my sister and Melanie, she seemed to be in better shape and looked a little younger.  If I hadn't known better I would've guessed late 30s instead of the mid-40s that I knew she was.  


The farther table against the wall also held two people I recognized.  The first was Ashley.  She seemed to be chatting with Diane, the wife of one of my friends.  Diane wasn't really into the gaming her husband was which was probably why she was out here chatting with people.  I knew less about her than I did Lucy even.  Taller than Melanie and Lucy but noticably shorter than Ash, her brown hair was long and straight.  She was wearing a yellow t-shirt and blue pants.  I couldn't see her shoes from where I stood as they were hidden behind a giant black purse. 


These were my best two options.  Ashley seemed like my best bet.  After all if I got her attention, she knew the truth and could immediately get me to Sam.  On the other hand her table was farther away and as the hostess of this party who knew how long she'd stay there?  If she left I'd be stuck trying to get the attention of a relative stranger.  The closer table had my sisters friends.  That would be more of a two step thing.  Get their attention, get them to take me to my sister, and then from there Sam.  Plus they didn't know about me.  On the other hand at least both of them knew me meaning that they might recongize me which wouldn't be the case for Diane.  Plus getting to my sister would be just as good in the grand scheme of things.  Even if they didn't recognize me as...well me, they'd probably show me to her.  


Thinking for just a bit, I made my decision.  With it decided I shoved my doubts back, no point wasting time changing my mind.  The clock was ticking after all.