- Text Size +
They milled about the cavernous room, chatting about the crappy morning weather or the drubbing their home team took at the last night's basketball game. They rubbed their eyes and sipped coffee, or closed them and enjoyed the temptation of going back to sleep as they all fought to ward off the lingering fatigue of an early morning. Some of them had been out late together at a nearby pub, scoping out the girls and dreaming of getting in their beds. They were engineering students, a dozen guys hired as technicians here for the summer, and they were all decked out in the mandatory gear, resembling the clean suits worn in a microchip factory. Ostensibly, the uniforms were required for safety purposes and the rules were strictly enforced, so only their hands and heads remained uncovered at the moment.

It came as a big surprise to everyone when the one they were waiting for, Melissa, showed up this day outfitted in a far more revealing tank top and jean skirt. Brian in particular did a double take when he looked further down, and found nothing but a little pair of white flip-flops! The shoes slapped against her feet as she nonchalantly entered the room, and several of the young men snorted in mild disgust. Ah yes, Melissa from Physics, for some reason the only female on the whole project, and by pure coincidence the best looking chick in Dr. Barnes's mechanics class. She wasn't even particularly bright, expected by most to forget most of what she learned here in due time and to end up teaching high school somewhere. Yet here she can come in 10 minutes late, openly flaunting the dress code, and everyone knew she'd never have any trouble from Barnes over it.

Dr. Barnes must have been practically drooling over his favourite pupil, hoping one day to bag her after he literally promises her the moon, as the men could easily observe her unchallenged command of his attention. She always received the best treatment from the lonely middle-aged genius, and from certain perspectives, she also received the best job. As it was, all eyes in the room were on Melissa and her assets, and she returned every gaze with a seductive smile. Some were incensed that Melissa alone could set and break the rules as she pleased, though most of them really didn't mind if she wanted to show some skin. After all, they'd be seeing a lot more skin soon enough, and it really wasn't a good idea to upset her at this point. Plus she was hot.

"Hey guys, sorry about the lateness," Melissa said in half-assed apology, breaking the silence created by her memorable entry as the door was shut and locked behind her. She ran one hand playfully through her long blonde hair as the other carried her handbag, which she also really wasn't supposed to bring. "Look uh, Dr. Barnes phoned this morning and he's not gonna be around til this afternoon, so we're supposed to go ahead without him."

-What?- was the reaction inside most of their heads as the techs heard the news. Dr. Barnes was always there for the tests, so this would be highly unusual, but these days he was giving all his instructions through Melissa. Hence everyone just took it as the gospel and made their way over to the large circular platform occupying most of the room, and the cigar-shaped vessels it housed. They could trust Mel, she'd been working with them from the get go and nothing out of the ordinary had ever happened.

Not only were the techs uninterested in asking any questions, but one of them even muttered "'Bout fuggin' time!" as he passed her. Melissa just looked back up at him from her cute 5'1" vantage, her sparkling blue eyes gazed straight into his, and for just a moment, her wide smile grew wider still.