- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is my first story and definitely not my last. Any suggestions would be great.

Author's Chapter Notes:

This is all just story to setup all the good stuff that is to come.

Greg worked for the large tech company ,Hatter Corp. Known for very dangerous and top secret experiments and was always in the news for one reason or another. To Greg though it was just a job, he'd been a janitor since it started 20 years ago and and was now employed with a very important position, Failed experiment 'removal and destruction'. It was a simple job, once a week he enters a large warehouse, goes through multiple security checkpoints and heads deep underground into a cavernous empty room. Inside sat a small desk with a chair behind a large blast shield. Atop the desk was a big red button, almost like an acme cartoon with “FIRE” written in large text. Out into the vast emptiness of the cavern was his target, some weeks it could be various vehicles, cars, tank or huge almost building like structures, mechs maybe?. He wasn't sure and didn't really care, his job was removal with no questions asked, and no souls told.


It was like every other week to him, he entered the space, his footsteps the only noise echoing into the nothingness of the room, he sat the at desk and pulled out his phone. He enjoyed the solitude and liked to spend a couple minutes to just chill, as if he were the last man on earth. After spending the last free credits in the game was playing he sat upright and looked through the blast shield, which now displayed a cross hair onto what appeared to be a desk with various pieces of clothing on top. “ hmm not much today” he thought as he slammed his fist onto the button and shouted “FIRE!”.


As if by magic, a large beam of jagged light ripped through the space above him and penetrated all the objects until they all vanished. Maybe it ripped all their atoms apart, or maybe its sent them into a different dimension, or sent them to an alien race like his bosses were intergalactic weapons dealers. So many crazy ideas Greg had thought up after all these years, but he would never know. No questions and no answers, that's his job.


As Greg idly thought all the manic thoughts a noise rang out, a clang of falling metal. Greg shot up out of his chair, his hearts racing a million miles an hour. So much like clockwork were these days, silence, loud wizz of energy, silence, that the noise of the fallen metal was like a bomb going off in his head. He strained his eyes looking through the glass to see sitting on the floor, where there once was a table of stuff, what appeared to be a watch....... His mind raced for an instant, had the aliens sent something back?..... He composed himself, sat in there chair and looked down the cross hairs once again, them now aimed at the watch.”FIRE” again he shouted as he hit the button once more. Again the beam shot out, lighting up the room and the target, and yet afterwards there it sat.


Greg stood up once more his mind once more churning out innumerable crazy ideas. He walked out into the firing line of his battle station towards the watch on the floor. As he approached he noticed something very odd, it looked just like a normal watch, no alien writing no strange symbols just a simple watch. He picked it up slowly and inspected it for runes or magic as if the only way to explain what was happening, nothing. The screen flashed the words sync and it seemed the edge of the watch face could spin. Each side had a letter engraved G and S. He turned the watch face anticlockwise and suddenly felt a chill all over his body.


Next to him he noticed a table, a very familiar table with multiple pieces of clothing on it, much like he had destroyed a few minutes ago, then looking out into the cavern noticed large scrap metal objects some looking somewhat like vehicles or very large buildings but no longer, it was all crushed flat. Greg started to sweat and felt a sense of dread and excitement wash over him. “There's no way right? Like aliens is more plausible.....right?” he thought to himself, hoping an answer would come to him. He looked back at the watch and slapped it on his wrist. Then as slow as he could muster with his trembling hands turned the watch face clockwise and as he did watched as everything slowly shrank from his point of view into specs of dust.