- Text Size +

Geometric Impossibilities

One thing all of our scientists agree on, Is that our world should have broken apart. Our oceans should've covered our civilisation before world ending weather patterns tore through the skies. This was accepted science, science that reality has chosen to ignore and no amount of debate can change the fact.

It had been nearly five years since the Apocalypse, That's what we called it, even though the world didn't end. The world did, however, change forever, The dominant government was totally wiped out, the following years had seen splintered factions and nation-states surge into power through wars and land grabs. This is where my story comes in.

I am Calrow, Warlock of the mid-wastes, Our territory is nearly 100 miles squared in the deep fertile valleys just above our equator in the centre of apocalypse zone. We had been able to rebuild back to a relatively comfortable living, Trading valuable minerals exposed by the deep valleys cut into our planet's crust for technology and supplies from the unaffected nations of the world. Automated farming and cheap aerial transport made the harsh landscape a small concern, and we were flourishing.
Attending the latest global summit on the Apocalypse, we were discussing ways we could stop it happening again, while also arguing over what it even was to start with. The most popular theory was that it was an alien probe, Keeping our weather patterns stable as it took samples from every level of the crust of the planet. It was popular because it made the most sense, some thought it was some weapon left adrift after a distant interstellar war and the conspiracy nuts all thought it was some divine being smiting the heretics. I didn't care what it was, only making sure it never happened again. Life was good in the wastes; people could really strike out on their own and make a life there now.

Another year and another argument with no new decisions of measure put in place. The truth was that we did not have enough data to understand what it was, Which lead to not knowing how to combat it. Returning to my people, I found the city drowned in chaos and panic as people ran left and right with seemingly no reason or purpose, I quickly approached my generals for find out what was going on. General Taylor looked at me as if I was stupid for a moment before she slowly raised her hand to point over my shoulder. As I turned my eyes bulged as a huge bright white staircase touched down from the heavens just outside of the wastelands.

Charlotte had been admiring Sarah's tanned shoulders, and back from her time on Enda, It had been so long since her skin had been tanned, It was just never a priority, seeing Sarah, however, brought feelings of bathing in the warm glow of a sun come to the front of her mind. Besides her annual planetary court was coming up soon and she wouldn't mind looking a bit more exotic while lording over the tiny world leaders. Flicking through her planetary index, outside of her domain she found an ideal world, One she had used before according to the entries. Smiling to herself she applauded her own creativity for keeping the planet intact, according to her statistics it still swelled with life and would always be fit for purpose.

Stripping down to her perfect form, tan lines were not a thing goddesses worried about, She descended to the world of mortals, 2500 miles tall by their standards, power rushed through her as she stepped into the world's ocean. The small waters parted but quickly formed around her foot, holding away from the land as she imagined the geometric stability of the world, not wanting to break her tanning bed. Striding to the edge of daylight on the globe she lay down, admiring her body shaped indent still clearly visible from her last visit. She laid next to it.

Feeling the tiny world compress under her as she lay in the warmth of their sun, placing a small projector earpiece in, she projected a small screen in front of her eyes showing the last 30 minutes of news on the world she was now bathing on. The confusion and chaos she observed warmed her in more ways than the sun alone, admiring herself through the lenses of these mites was something she thoroughly enjoyed.

Three hours later Charlotte woke up, realising she had rolled onto her side as she lay on the world's surface. The news in her ear was discussing the presence of a giant woman laying on their world if they didn't know before they certainly did now. Rising and stretching she found her front was tanned along with half of her back and the back of one arm where she had rolled over. Annoyed with herself she dragged her foot through the ocean of the world below, releasing her hold on the weather as she returned to her stairs. They were about to have world-shaking weather, serves them right, she thought, As she returned to take her frustrations out on her slaves.