- Text Size +

Janice's Account of Monday Morning

Monday mornings always come around fast; We are forever buried in work that seems to of built up over the weekend from our international colleague who seem to love working weekends. Like ever I was run off my feet arranging meetings and organising emails, Everyone wanted to speak to everyone, and it is my job to connect the dots and fill the schedule. I was just getting to the end of Saturdays emails when my boss appeared, a horrible man by all accounts, like most of my stuck up colleagues. "Janice, You look surprisingly chipper for a Monday morning, how about you do the coffee run for the board meeting, there's a good girl". I seethed behind my eyes, wishing I was anywhere else, A coffee run would get me out of the office, but it would also put me an hour behind on my work, something he would hold over me later, controlling my tone I pushed out a reply. "Yes Sir, at once".

While waiting for the collective order of 12 variations of coffee at Starbucks I took a moment to sit in the corner and reflect on my life, 8 years of higher education to end up as a personal assistant to Mark Wheeler, CEO renowned for ruining careers and he was toying with my life on a daily basis. I broke down into tears, makeup running through my fingers when I heard a soothing, lilting voice from the table opposite mine. There was no-one there when I sat down, I was certain of it. "What's wrong hun? You seem distressed", I was disarmed by her friendly tone and chilled manner. She slumped back in casual clothes and heavy looking doc martens that she casually rested on the table. I started to rant; It felt good to share. By the time my name was called to collect my order I was feeling a whole lot better. The stranger had just sat and listened, smiling at me, making me feel reassured. I stood to collect my order, I turned back to thank her, but she was gone, I didn't see her stand to leave though, maybe I am going mad.

Frustrated with myself for not thanking the stranger, I rushed out of the Starbucks and turned to head back down the street to my building. The earth shook, and I tripped, spilling all twelve of the coffees all over the sidewalk. Darkness engulfed the road as I recovered to my feet, A dark shape blocked out the sun. It was a figure of incalculable height. I was shaken my feet again has the huge titan sat down on the ridge, smashing the whole line of residencies along the edge, including mine. My mouth went dry as I gazed up and her huge face where the sun once was, It was her, The beautiful stranger, Only now she was a Goddess. She slipped out of her huge docs, leaving them dwarfing the surrounding buildings as relaxed over our city, Then her voice hit us all like a shockwave. "I've heard a troubling story this morning, I feel like being benevolent this morning". The words shook us with the power behind them as her huge bare feet crashed down, one right next to my place of work.

I turned and ran as her huge fingers descended from on high, crashing into the ground around the base of my building, only feet from me. I dared not look back as I ran, hearing the unmistakable sound of rending steel and crumbling concrete. As I reached the end of the next block I turned to see what the noise was about as I watched the skyscraper I formerly found employment within raised by just one of her hands, high into the skies leaving trails of debris and poor souls jumping for freedom. I was standing in a crowd of awestruck people, we should have been running, but we couldn't bring ourselves to move as the huge Titaness lifted one of the largest buildings in our city over coffee cup, then in a flash of pure divinity, the concrete structure vanished, Leaving hundreds of people suspended in mid-air before finding themselves falling in a still steaming Starbucks cup, larger than most buildings.

I stared in horror as the Goddess smiled and giggled, sipping her coffee before stretching her arms and standing over us. Placing her free hand on her hip, she stared straight at me from her unimaginable height. "Thanks for the sweeteners", She then stepped forward, her huge sole landing on me, I was one of the lucky few trapped under the arch of her toe as she strode out of the city, snuffing out thousands like insects beneath her. That was the day I met a goddess, A day that changed my life forever.