- Text Size +

1969…

By now the existence of the new super team known as The Kentron Contingency was well known around the world. Its members included the following super heroes: Mini Lad alias Chuck had acquired the power to shrink while wearing one half of an alien ring from Galaxia Kentron. His sister Nancy alias Enlarging Girl had acquired the power to grow to giant size while wearing the other half of the ring. Young Samson and his dog Goliath used Kentron originated bracelets to gain super powerful forms of adult Samson and a super lion. Tod the Dino Boy had inherited the long lost power club which had once been granted by the first Kentron visitors to the first Mightor, and now carried on the Mightor legacy himself. Jan had left the Space Ghost team to remain on earth and use her inviso-belt and rocket pack as a member of The Kentron Contingency. Honorary members Tom and Tub had a super whale friend named Moby Dick, who would also aid the team.

Jan let the team know that she was going to be away from earth on one of her periodic return visits to Ghost Planet to see Space Ghost and Jace and Blip, as the Herculoids had invited them all to Amzot for Dorno’s birthday party.

The Kentron Contingency were not agents of Intelligence One, but maintained a close friendship with Benton Quest and Race Bannon, and would sometimes help them on request.

This new allegiance had been observed, by means of a spider-like robotic probe, which was sent by Benton Quest’s arch nemesis Doctor Zin. The evil scientist knew that, with so many super heroes now teamed up and willing to assist Doctor Quest and indirectly I-1, there was little chance that his robot spiders would be of any use to him. Samson, Enlarger Girl, Moby Dick and Mightor were each strong enough to smash a robot spider to pieces.

So instead, Zin sent his robot spider probes out on a search for a powerful ally or allies of his own. Deep in a swamp, one robot spider noticed the completion of construction and flight test of a somewhat dome shaped flying building. Zin immediately flew a small plane out to accompany his robot spiders, calling several of them to the swamp, and paid the owner of the flying dome a visit, introduced himself, and explained his problem with I-1 and the Kentron Contingency.

“I am Lex Luthor,” said the other scientist, “And I built this headquarters to recruit super allies of my own, because I’m also having trouble with Superman and his Justice League of America. You could be the first one to join me. I need a scientist to help me perfect this Hall of Doom’s time conveyor. So far I can’t get it to take me out of this time, only to fly the place around in the present.”

Zin studied the schematic diagrams, the Hall of Doom’s computer records, and the building itself, and went to work on the time conveyor.

“Running away to another time doesn’t really help us,” said Zin, “If we go into the past, we have to forsake the modern conveniences. If we go into the future, there might be even more super heroes to deal with by the time we arrive.”

“Don’t you see?” said Luthor, “We’ll go a short time into the past, just as many years as we need to go, to alter the early lives of these super heroes, so that the ordinairy human beings never gain those super powers. Then we’ll have the advantage with our scientific devices. This headquarters, staffed by your robot spiders, would be unstoppable.”

“Well I don’t know if I’ve gotten the bugs out of it enough to go back that far,” said Zin, “But it should take us somewhere if we give it a test.”

Luthor activated the time conveyor, and studied the monitor. They saw the familiar 20th Century swampland outside replaced by the most curious pattern of odd scenery. Then Luthor studied the readings on the instrument panel, and could only make one conclusion.

“According to the instruments, we haven’t moved in time at all, and yet we’ve definitely gone somewhere else. It can only be another dimension,” said Luthor.

“Then how about we go out and meet the natives,” said Zin.

The people of this dimension looked human in appearance, like Caucasian Americans, but shorter, around the size of the pygmies that Race Bannon and Jonny Quest had once tricked by disguising Race with purple berry juice.

“I wish I could understand why this dimension looks so weird,” said Luthor, “Its appearance seems to defy all the laws of physics.”

“That’s because we maintain its appearance by using the Reality Renovator in the Science Museum,” said one of the populace.

“Does it allow for a cycle of nights and days here, like the 24 hour periods where we come from?” asked Zin.

“Yes,” said the little man.

Luthor and Zin returned to the Hall of Doom and waited until nightfall. Then, on Luthor’s recommendation, Zin sent two of his robot spiders out to locate and break into the Science Museum, steal the Reality Renovator and return to the Hall of Doom with it. Then they reversed the controls of the faulty time conveyor, and returned to the swamp on earth.

“I still don’t know how we’re going to use this,” said Luthor, “The Justice League and the Kentron Contingency can still beat us, no matter what we make the scenery of earth look like.”

“We’re not going to use it on the scenery,” said Zin, “When you asked me to steal it, you knew it was powerful, and I agreed because I’ve got the answer to our dilemma. It’s called a Reality Renovator for a reason. My own problems have largely been with Intelligence One in the past, and specifically with Benton Quest and Race Bannon. The two least threatening members of their team are Jonny Quest and his dog Bandit, not to mention Hadji. So we’re going to use the Reality Renovator to replace all of earths super heroes with harmless teams of kids and pets.”