- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Not part of the Future Quest 2016 comic book continuity; just my own story with the same Hanna-Barbera characters. I hope the solution to the mystery doesn’t disappoint any readers, but I couldn’t think of another way to sufficiently challenge a collection of Hanna-Barbera’s most powerful and resourceful characters of the 1960s.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

SPOILER WARNINGS: I will itemize the spoiler warnings specific sources at the beginning of affected chapters, but as a general warning, this story has recaps of varioius episodes of the following Hanna-Barbera 1960s shows "Space Ghost and Dino Boy" , "Moby Dick and Mighty Mightor" , "Young Samson", "Shazzan" and "Jonny Quest". (And these recaps are only a minor part of the content, which is mainly ongoing action/adventure crossover between the characters from all these shows).

Author's Chapter Notes:

The story is completed, but I'm only uploading one chapter a day, to give readers time to process it while other authors get some attention too.

Spoiler warning: This chapter expands exponentially on the Mightor origin theme which follows the beginning theme of every episode of “Moby Dick and Mighty Mightor” 1967 and also recaps the basic plot of the Hanna-Barbera 1974 animated special “Freedom 2000” (which you'll probably only ever see on youtube LOL).

Lastly, it briefly mentions most of Space Ghost's encounters with his enemies, although not really any plot detail, just a list.

 

Around 4000 BC…..

 

A spaceship lands in the middle of the night on a primitive mountain. Its occupants are highly scientifically advanced beings from Galaxia Kentron. (See HB’s 1974 special “Freedom 2000”).  They offer a primitive human a device, fashioned in the shape of a club, which can cause him to transform into a being of amazing super powers, and instruct him to use it only for good, as they intend to periodically monitor earth.

The man raises the club and his body forms powerful muscles and is given the ability to fly. He finds that it can also transform one other being, and uses it on his pet dinosaur, who gains the power to breathe fire. The man calls himself Mightor, and defends innocent people from powerful raiders and tyrannical menaces for many years.  In his elderly years, he knows that he will soon die, and be unable to continue to wield the device. To find a suitable successor to pass on the club, the old man, now a reclusive hermit, stages a dangerous situation and is rescued by a very young man named Tor and his pet Tog.

The hermit shares his knowledge of the power club with Tor, who succeeds him as the new Mightor, and protects the village of his friends Chief Pondo and his daughter Sheira and son Little Rok.

In time, Tor too, like his wife Sheira becomes elderly. However for him, choosing a successor is easy. He confides his identity in Rok, formerly Little Rok, who has continued to help Mightor whenever possible, riding on Tog rather than Ork, after outgrowing Ork.

“YOU were Mightor all along. No wonder Tog spent so much time with you!” said Rok.

“And now I need someone to take over for me. Your father is gone, and your sister Sheira has been queen of the village for a while. Soon she and I might both be gone, and you will be the reigning chief. Even now, it will need you as the new Mightor.”

“It is funny. I dreamed of being Mightor all those years when I played Mightor to help you when I was a kid. Now I really will be Mightor. I won’t let you down, Tor.”

Ork, Tog and Bolo the elephant had long since died, but Rok’s new pet dinosaur became his assistant. He too operated as Mightor (and eventually as Chief Rok as well) into his old age. However, before he could pass on the Mightor power club, Rok accidentally dropped it into a raging river, and was too weak with old age to find and retrieve it. The river carried it far away, and thus the Mightor legacy came to an end.

 

Thousands of years later, the descendants of the visitors from Galaxia Kentron returned to earth in the year 1966. Seeing that there was no Mightor, they decided to create not one but two devices of great power this time, and give one to a chosen youth and hide the other to await discovery. The first was a ring infused with great power, although not the same as the Mightor club. This they hid in a cave off the coast of Maine. The second was a pair of wrist bracelets which would also give similar powers to Mightor’s to the user, and enable a similar transformation to Tog’s to be applied to any animal companion the user might have. They chose a boy in his late teens named Tim Matthews.

 

When Tim, as instructed, struck the bracelets against eachother, he was transformed into an adult man with longer hair and a costume resembling the fashions of ancient Old Testament Bible eras. Discovering that he had super strength, limited leaping or flying ability, the ability to generate a force ring and the brief ability to increase his strength even further, he saw a similarity to what he’d read in the book of Judges about a man named Samson, whom God had empowered with super strength only as long as his hair remained uncut.  (See Hanna-Barbera’s 1991 episode of “Greatest Adventure: Stories from the Bible” called “Samson and Delilah”.)

 

Tim called himself Young Samson, and pointed his hands in the direction of his new unnamed dog, struck the bracelets together again and saw the dog transform into a lion with the ability to project power beams from his eyes as well as to give off a super powerful roar and leap significant distances like Young Samson himself. Unable to recall many other Bible names, he chose to call the dog/lion Goliath. Unlike the Philistine giant Goliath (showin in another Greatest Adventure episode called “David and Goliath”), Young Samson’s pet worked to help him perform heroic deeds.

 

Some time earlier, they had also given similar materials to a man on another planet, which had enabled him to use them as his power bands. These bands could duplicate some of the super strength of Samson and Mightor, the flying ability of Mightor, variations on the power ray discharges of Mightor’s club and Goliath’s eyes, and also enabled the wearer to become invisible. The man went on to call himself Space Ghost, named after the white costume he wore to stand out in the blackness of outer space, and was able to fashion belts for two teenage allies and their pet monkey, that would duplicate only the invisibility, as well as designing a spaceship with the same capacity, which he then dubbed appropriately: The Phantom Cruiser. His teenaged friends were named Jan and Jace, and their pet monkey was called Blip. Using his own planet’s technology, which was not nearly as advanced as that of Galaxia Kentron, he fashioned rocket packs for Jan, Jace and Blip, which would give them the ability to fly, at least for a while. They fought against a number of menaces such as Metallus, Zorak, Moltar, Brak, Spider Woman, Creature King, Lokar, Tansit, Transor, Brago, One-Eye and Lurker; and perhaps the most enigmatic of all, the mysterious Rob Corp.

Rob Corp was in fact a renegade group from Galaxia Kentron, who built a Saucer Crab and sent it to begin gathering information and starting attacks not far from Space Ghost’s Ghost Planet.

 

1974…

The people from Galaxia Kentron visited earth again, as the more experienced male pilot was interested in teaching his female assistant about the unique properties of earth’s “free market economy”.

At the end of the visit, she asked him if they should give more help to the earthlings. Without telling her about Mightor, Young Samson or the ring, the older alien said, “I think not. Experience has shown that our interference causes as many problems as it fixes.” (See “Freedom 2000” 1974 special again). The rest of this story will explain which of their acts (of leaving advanced technology on earth) led the alien to make the conclusion he did.

 

Chapter End Notes:

With Tim, Tom, Tub, Tor, Tog, and a Tod you haven't met yet all turning up in this story at some point, what other letter of the alphabet do you expect to start the names of characters chosen by an author named Timescribe?