- Text Size +

Benton asked Tod to demonstrate his transformation in a room equipped with a spectroscope and then test his strenght against Samson. Young Samson went into the room with Tod, and let Tod initiate his own change first, allowing Doctor Quest time to study the transformation.

None of them could have anticipated what happened next.

At the same second that Tod turned into Mightor, Young Samson took on his adult super powered Samson form too.

“How did that happen? I didn’t raise my hands, let alone strike the bracelets together,” said Samson.

He then proceeded to do those two things, and turned himself back into his teenaged boy form. Just as it happened, Mightor turned back into Tod.

“I didn’t raise the club or shout the word,” said Tod, “It only works when I do both.”

(Tor’s Mightor did once shout the word Mightor while flying back from a rescue of Lil Rok, but the transformation only occurred when the club was raised by a person in a standing position on solid ground.)

“The spectroscope might be able to ‘throw some light on it’ said Jace.”

“Very funny, brother dear,” said Jan, “But is he right, Doctor Quest?”

“As it turns out, yes. Both the bracelets and the power club are made of the same identical material, alien material composed of elements not found in our periodic table. They both seem to have the same transformative powers on the users and their pets. They must have been given to us by the same aliens. Do you realise that this means the same aliens have visited this planet on two occasions, and both times, it seems that they have been the benefactors of upcoming super heroes?” said Benton.

“It also means that we can’t hang out together unless we’re willing to both be changed to and from super hero forms whenever one of us initiates it,” said Samson.

“That’s not a problem really. It could even be beneficial,” said Race.

“I think we’re missing a more important connection,” said Benton, “Both power source objects have been instrumental in cases involving missing children, although Samson’s bracelets were used by the search party leader and Tod’s were used by the intended rescued party. It’s just possible that they may also be instrumental in solving the third missing kids mystery.”

“Speaking of that, have we heard from Space Ghost yet?” asked Jan.

 

Space Ghost landed the Phantom Cruiser off the coast of Maine and began searching the area where Chuck and Nancy were last seen. Like the mist around the Lost Valley, he found that a cave entrance was hidden by some power of illusion which only his probing visibeam (the latest addition to his power bands’ capabilities) could penetrate. He walked into the cave entrance, surrounded by his force field, with Jonny and Hadji instructed to wait outside. Just as he seemed about to pass through the illusion, it took on solid form and repelled both his force field and Space Ghost himself out of the cave at dramatic speed.

“Boy does that thing pack a wallop!” said Space Ghost, “It must have some force field capability of its own. I’ll try my power bands’ various settings until I can get through it.”

Space Ghost tried every setting, and even repeated his rare stunt of using all his powers at once. Nothing could pass through the cave entrance.

He contacted I-1 headquarters and filled the others in.

“I’ve been pontificating on a theory of my own back here,” said Benton, “If it holds up, I think our other allies, including one you’ll soon meet, can get through that illusion force field when combining their power with yours. We’re all heading out to join you now. Transmit your exact position from the Phantom Cruiser to Questor Two, when we radio you that we’re getting close.”

Benton, Race, Jace, Jan, Blip, Dino Boy/Tod, Young Samson and Goliath all boarded Questor Two and were flown out to meet with Space Ghost and Jonny Quest and Hadji.

“Could I accompany you with my portable spectroscope, and examine that illusion wall from inside your force field?” asked Benton.

“Yes Doctor, but we don’t get as close as I did before, or we’ll both be knocked back, and the force field won’t save you from the impact when it sends us flying,” said Space Ghost.

“Be careful Dad,” said Jonny.

He watched his father and Space Ghost walk towards the cave. Soon they returned.

“Did you get a good reading, Doctor?” asked Race.

“Not just of the illusion field, but also of Space Ghost’s power bands. Both of them give off the same radiation as Tod’s club and Samson’s bracelets. Whatever powers that illusion field was augmented by the same technology that powered Tod’s and Samson’s transformations and Space Ghost’s power bands.”

“Say, remember what happened back in the spectroscope room at the base?” said Jan, “When either Mightor or Samson initiated their transformation, their devices transformed eachother as well.”

“Exactly,” said Benton, “It stands to reason that if Tod and Young Samson change to Mightor and Samson while away from here in Questor Two with Race, and then Race flies them back here, they can then both initiate their transformation powers right in front of that illusion field. If the theory of shared transformation holds up, then their changing back to their powerless human forms will also remove that illusion field so we can both see through and walk through into the cave.”

“See you soon, Doctor. Hop aboard, Tod and Samson,” said Race.

He soon returned with the others as super heroes. They stepped out, and stood with Space Ghost in front of the illusion field. Space Ghost would be ready with his force field turned on to cushion them from the results if the plan backfired in any way.

This time Tod raised his club and shouted “Mightor” at exactly the same moment that Young Samson raised his bracelets and struck them together.

The illusion field disappeared, but so did Space Ghost’s force field.

“I didn’t switch it off, Doctor,” he called.

“I thought that might happen,” said Benton, “Having the same origin, your power bands’ current application would be turned off too, along with the illusion field.”

“That’s not the only surprise, Dad,” said Jonny, “Just look where we are.”

They looked around to find that they were no longer in an entrance to a cave off the coast of Maine. They were in a place that looked like an ancient Arabian Nights era.