- Text Size +

“We’ve been fighting a losing battle to stop the Legion altogether and bring them to justice. The most we’ve done is eventually defeated each of their schemes after it’s first taken us by surprise,” said Superman, “We need to take the fight to them. Since Flash and the other three learned key facts about the Legion of Doom’s tactics by looking at their computer files, I feel that we need to send a team to sneak aboard the Hall of Doom and study their computers in depth.”

“I can vibrate in again,” said Flash, “And Atom’s small enough to slip in, especially if he shrinks even smaller for a while. And we know computers well in our secret identities as scientists.”

“And Plastic Man can alter his shape and get in as well,” said Batman, “It was useful when he helped us get that mouse out of the GEEC, when it was fouling up the computer’s automation of every device on earth.”

So Plastic Man, Atom and Flash secretly snuck into the Hall of Doom’s basement, while the rest of the Superfriends kept the Legion of Doom distracted and busy by foiling their attempted robberies and other publicly criminal acts.

Later the three computer breakers met the rest of the Superfriends in the Hall of Justice.

“Zan and Jayna, Apache Chief, Samurai and Black Vulcan, can you patrol the city for us during our meeting?” asked Flash.

“We’ll be glad to,” said Zan, and they both left.

“Why did you send the Wondertwins and the others away?” asked Robin, “Don’t they need to hear this too?”

“Because they mustn’t hear what we’ve got to tell you. They mustn’t learn that their presence on this team was never meant to be. You won’t believe what we discovered in Luthor’s old files, dating back to before the Legion was formed, when he only had the Hall of Doom and Cheetah and Giganta and Brainiac,” said Flash, “Fill them in, Atom.”

“Their tampering with the origins of Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern wasn’t the first time they’d messed up the past,” said Atom, “According to records, a number of us had teenage sidekicks who no longer exist, because those first four villains disposed of them in ways which will hurt you a lot. The Wondertwins and the others’ presence here is just time’s way of compensating, to coin a phrase. But we can go back and change the past back to its correct history again, as we did before. When we do, the ones patrolling the city right now will never be Superfriends. Although they will still have super hero careers in their own countries or planet.”

Flash and Atom filled the others in on the altered pasts of Kid Flash, Wondergirl, Speedy, Aqualad, Golden Eagle and Supergirl.

“Well it’s a cinch that I can’t help save this cousin I’m supposed to have,” said Superman, “or the gold Kryptonite would permanently remove my powers.”

“And I can’t do anything with gold kryptonite, since it’s coloured yellow,” said Green Lantern.”

“I’ll go with Batman and Robin in the Batrocket, since it can pierce the time barrier, “I’ll snare the kryptonite with my golden lasso, and destroy it with my strength, while Batman and Robin use their devices against Brainiac’s,” said Wonder Woman.

“I’ll go to the point where Giganta ate Aqualad and stop her,” said Superman.

“I’ll time travel under my own power with Atom and save Roy Harper,” said Flash, “But first I’ll use my cosmic treadmill to drop Plastic Man and Green Arrow off at the point where Wonder Girl will need rescuing.”

“Sure. I’ll have a special arrow ready to shoot Brainiac’s shrink gun out of his hand,” said Green Arrow.

“And I’ll wrap him up in my plastic arms before he can regain it,” said Plastic Man.

“Hawkman, Hawkgirl and Rima and I can fix Kid Flash’s and Golden Eagle’s timelines, using my power ring for time travel,” said Green Lantern, “I’ll drop the Hawks off in Blue Valley, and then Rima and I can go for Golden Eagle. That way none of us will be involved in the rescues of our own sidekicks, although I don’t have one. It will avoid any paradoxical meetings.”

So they went back in time and restored the origins of the Teen Titans and Supergirl, with the result that one factor differed from either of the previous two timelines. This time, instead of being a part time member of the Legion of Super-Heroes, by periodically flying into the 30th Century, Supergirl remained in the present all the time as a member of the Teen Titans. Wendy, Marvin, Wonderdog, Zan, Jayna, Gleek, Black Vulcan, Apache Chief and Samurai never joined the Superfriends. The team was now a composite of the Justice League of America and the Teen Titans, still retaining its Gotham based Hall of Justice as a meeting place.

“But can’t Luthor just take his Legion back in time and start wiping out our pasts all over again?” asked Robin.

“Not easily,” said Batman, “Members of the Legion of Doom can’t reappear in the past in the same places and times which they’ve already visited. They mustn’t meet themselves in the past. That’s why we were meticulous about avoiding any run-ins with our own past selves, by not going to the rescue of our own sidekicks but rather each others’.”

“It won’t help them to try anyway,” said Atom, “Flash is familiar with time travel technology because of his cosmic treadmill, and I’ve used professor Hyatt’s time pool many times. We rigged the Hall of Doom’s time conveyor to self destruct and start a chain reaction that will destroy the whole building if they try to use the time conveyor again. I programmed the computer to send them an audible warning to evacuate with a five minute countdown. After that, Bizarro and Sinestro might otherwise be the only ones to survive their not heeding the warning.”

A few other reverse butterfly effects from restoring the timeline to normal were: that a brand new composite super hero named Firestorm would join the Superfriends in 1979 instead of 1984. El Dorado would not join in 1982, and Victor Stone would never have the accident which left him in a Cyborg body, and would thus never join the renamed Super Powers Team in 1985.

 

Chapter End Notes:

This completes the story for now. Tomorrow, look out for THE JETSONS MEET THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (ie a new story).

Set in the 30th Century (where one issue of Scooby-Doo Team-up recently placed the Jetsons). When Elroy Jetson invents a formula which causes explosions into parallel universes, the Science Police ask the Legionnaires to guard the Jetsons from interested criminals.