- Text Size +

“We’ll call ourselves the Legion of Doom,” said Luthor, “I’ll set the time conveyor to take us back to a time just before young Wally West (whom I’ve observed on the time scope) had an accident that turned him into Kid Flash. I’ll drop Cheetah and Brainiac off in Blue Valley, where they can make sure that Wally never has the chance to experience that accidental acquisition of super speed. That way he’ll never join the Flash. Giganta and I will then go to a time before young Roy Harper met the Green Arrow, one of the less seen Super Friends who occasionally joins them on their adventures. We’ll take care of him too, using the methods Cheetah and Giganta worked out.”

One day, back in the past, Wally West was on his way home from Blue Valley High School, walking through a field, when he came across a green skinned robot and a woman dressed like a cheetah. The robot pointed a ray gun at Wally West, which shrank him to tiny size.

“And now, like a cat, I shall deal with a boy who is now like a mouse,” said Cheetah.

She picked up Wally West and swallowed him whole, making it more than unlikely that he would ever become the super speedster sidekick Kid Flash.

Meanwhile, Luthor sent Giganta to where young Roy Harper was shooting arrows at a target in a field. Giganta grew to giant size, snatched Roy up and gobbled him down to her awaiting stomach as well.

As neither woman wanted to eat a girl, when they reached the time shortly before Wonder Woman saved Donna Troy from a burning building, Brainiac simply shrank Donna Troy out of sight, so that she might well have ended up living on an atom, and would thus never become Wonder Girl.

Brainiac shrank Charlie Parker before he could meet Hawkman and Hawkgirl. Cheetah swallowed the lad, so that he would never become Golden Eagle. Giganta snatched a young water breathing boy from out of the ocean, before he could be met by Aquaman and become his teenaged ally Aqualad and ate him too. Brainiac used gold Kryptonite on the baby Kara Zor-El, just before she reached earth, so that she would never have super powers on earth and never become Superman’s teenage sidekick Supergirl.

The Teen Titans now never existed. Time became realigned. Without having ever acquired their teenage allies, Flash and Green Arrow, although regular Justice Leaguers, didn’t share Batman’s interest in being full time Super Friends, only occasional involvement. Wonder Woman saw the potential for training two fans named Wendy and Marvin, who had named their dog after her. Aquaman was another long term member who stayed with the Super Friends. Green Lantern, Hawkman and Hawkgirl and the Atom would help them on occasional cases.

When time was realigned, other teenagers from the planet Exxor (Zan and Jayna) were taken in by the Superfriends, after Wendy and Marvin had completed their training and moved on.

 

It was not until 1978, when Luthor had recruited a total of 13 members of his new Legion of Doom, that Flash, Green Lantern and Hawkman decided to stick around as regulars. They were joined by the young apache indian who had since used his own growth power to become Apache Chief. Two other non-Justice Leaguers were accepted into the team, as they had considerable powers of their own: Samurai and Black Vulcan. Their origins had only come about as a buttefly effect from the time altering activities of Luthor’s first allies which had prevented the Teen Titans and Supergirl from gaining their powers. Zan and Jayna’s trip to earth to join the Superfriends were also butterfly effects which would otherwise never have happened.

 

Spoiler Warning: The next few paragraphs are recaps of CHALLENGE OF THE SUPERFRIENDS 1978 episodes “Secret Origins of the Superfriends” and “History of Doom,” and the 1973 Super Friends episode “Professor Goodfellow’s G.E.E.C.”

 

So the constant war was on between the Legion of Doom and the Superfriends. Keen to take his initial steps further and give the Legion an advantage, Luthor organized another series of attacks on the origins of Superfriends. This time, they went after Baby Kal-El, preventing him from becoming Superman, young amazon Diana, preventing her from becoming Wonder Woman, and young test pilot Hal Jordan, preventing him from becoming Green Lantern. (If they had not been back in the past in the time travelling Hall of Doom, some members of the Legion of Doom would have been retconned out of existence too, by means of negating the three Superfriends’ existences. Bizarro’s origin was derived from Superman’s. Yet a time paradox of being in the past for a while had protected him from the realignment of history. Sinestro’s clashes with Hal Jordan had first brought him to earth).

With the core team of Superfriends down to the eight least powerful members, Luthor flew the Hall of Doom over the Hall of Justice, kidnapped all 8 of them, and put 4 in the dungeon for a while, and used the other 4 to entertain the Legion of Doom by involuntarily fighting eachother.

Down in the Hall of Doom’s dungeon, the Flash vibrated his way out at super speed, and then freed Black Vulcan, Batman and Robin. They took the opportunity to examine the Legion of Doom’s computer files, and learned of the plan to avert the existences of Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern, of whom they now had no memory. Using their own individual approaches, the four heroes went back in time and restored that much of the past, so that Superman and Wonder Woman and Green Lantern once again existed and helped free Apache Chief, Samurai, Aquaman and Hawkman from the Legion of Doom.

 

Shortly after that, they had a few more clashes with the Legion of Doom, the last of which involved a plan that would have backfired on Luthor’s team too and left the whole planet of earth in desolation. But for the timely assistance of some new visitors from Kentron, things could have been very bleak.

Superman called a meeting of the Superfriends, and invited their one time ally Plastic Man to join them, as well as calling in Atom, Hawkgirl, Rima and Green Arrow.