- Text Size +
"We should totally see Dr. Strange tonight!" Matt exclaimed on the phone with Lexi that morning.

"Yeah, I dunno, maybe" Lexi shrugged, getting her things ready for the first week of classes at Phoenix University.

"What do you mean, maybe?" Matt asked, "We've been seeing all the Marvel movies since we were kids"

"Yeah, since we were KIDS" Lexi scoffed, "We're in our 20's now, ain't nobody got time for that!"

"Did you really just use that voice?" Matt said, rolling his eyes, "Yeah, well we're still on to see Rogue One, right?"

"Well yeah, that's a given" Lexi chuckled, "but Dr. Strange? I don't know... sounds kinda strange..."

"Since when has THAT ever stopped us?" Matt retorted.

"I don't know..." Lexi replied, rolling her eyes a bit.

"Well, hey, how about I buy your ticket since you're being such a party pooper? I'll even drive" Matt offered.

"Throw in some popcorn and we have a deal..." Lexi smiled, only half paying attention at this point.

"You drive a hard bargain..." Matt sighed with a wince, "but okay... there's a 7:30 showing if you're down?"

"Alright fine... I suppose I could use a night out" Lexi shrugged.

"Gee, don't sound so excited" Matt teased, realizing he was running late, "so hey, I'll see you later, okay?"

"Whatever you say, Mr. Strange" Lexi replied, ending the phone call.

Matt hurriedly headed out the door, bringing his usual disheveled collection of books and flawed ways to hold them along for the ride. He stumbled down the hallway, nearly bumping into several of his fellow students on the way to class. Finally he slid through the door with just seconds to spare and sat down with a thud in a seat towards the back room. From there, he could hear a girlish giggle.

He glanced back but as soon as he did, the girl behind the giggle quickly averted her glance. The girl was very skinny with brownish eyes. She had short black hair and appeared very shy as she slid back in her seat, acting like she hadn't just giggled.

"Oh, I suppose you've never been late to class before?" Matt asked in a dulled whisper.

"Not while dropping everything I owned" the girl said quietly, directing her eyes towards the trail of papers and textbook that had hit the floor on Matt's journey into the room.

"Oh. Right" Matt sighed, sliding out of his chair to get his lost belongings.

"Well looks like any perceptions about my being a klutz aren't going away this year either" Matt thought to himself.

While the two waited for their professor to show up, they got to talking.

"I'm Matt"

"Ellen" the girl replied, weakly offering a hand to shake. She somehow seemed even more socially awkward than Matt.

"You um... always laugh at strangers?" Matt asked

"No, actually... I'm not all that friendly around strangers" Ellen shrugged, "...or people I know, or people I don't know, or relatives..."

"Okay I get it, you're generally unpleasant" Matt joked which was thankfully met with a laugh by the pretty shy girl.

"It's not that" Ellen said, recovering from her laughing fit, "It's just.... I don't know, I just got here and I don't really know anyone, y'know? I feel lost sometimes... sorry... that's a bit much to throw on someone I just met, I know"

"N-No, it's cool" Matt said nodding his head in understanding, "It can suck coming to a new school for the first time, especially one as big as this"

"Yeah..." Ellen said, her voice trailing off as the professor entered the room.

As class began its session, the two continued to exchange pleasantries here and there before finally being dismissed.

After having talked to this girl for only 20-30 minutes, Matt already knew he had to make a move. He had been too shy himself in the past, so he tailed Ellen after class and got to talking.

"So um... hey... if you ever need someone to show you around... maybe I could be your guy?" Matt asked, before quickly backtracking, "I mean like... your guy to show you around, not like YOUR guy... not like... I mean, unless you wanted... like a tour guy, not YOUR guy... but kinda..."

"Y-Yeah, yeah" Ellen said awkwardly, "I um.. think I know what you're going for"

"Do you?" Matt asked sheepishly, "because I'm not even sure"

"Yeah, I think you want to show me around, right?" Ellen asked

"Um... yes! Yes! Show you around and nothing more" Matt said, secretly hating himself, "...well maybe a little more"

"Oh?" Ellen asked, turning noticeably red.

"Um... yeah... but I mean, only if you want to... that is... um..." Matt stammered. 'Get it together, man!' he snapped at himself before returning to reality. "...um... how about tonight? We could uh meet in the food court and I could um... show you around and maybe... buy you dinner?"

"Hmmmm I don't know..." Ellen said, seemingly hugging her books extra tight to signify her nerves.

"Well think about it, okay?" Matt asked, beginning to walk away. He didn't get too far before he could hear Ellen's voice following him.

"Hey, Matt" she said. Matt turned around.

"I'd like that... let's meet up tonight... if you wanted" Ellen said.

"Oh yes, I mean, if YOU wanted" Matt said, trying to play it cool.

"Yeah, that would be fun..." Ellen said and then added, "Oh and Matt? I really like seafood"

"Good to know, good to know" Matt grinned, and after taking down her number, he was off to plan for this unexpected date. At least he thought it was a date... it was definitely a get together of some kind. All he had to do was agree to buy her dinner and suddenly she was all smiles.

"What is it with the women in my life? I gotta buy em stuff just to keep them at the table" Matt thought to himself, continuing his walk back to the dorms. "First Lexi and now... oh shit! Lexi! I told her I'd see Dr. Strange with her tonight... Ugh!!"

In his absentminded love fest, Matt had forgotten about the plans he had made prior. But he couldn't cancel on Ellen, not after the socially awkward journey that led him there... what was a 20 something to do?

He decided to wait until Lexi's classes got out for the day and give her a call.

"Lexi's my bud, she'll understand" Matt said to himself before dwelling on it a bit more, "She WILL understand, right?"

Matt was about to find out, as later that night he dialed her number and waited. The wait seemed to go on unusually long before hearing her voice pick up.

"Oh, hey Matt" Lexi said.

"Hey"

"So, actually I thought about it and I'm kind of looking forward to seeing that movie" Lexi said.

"....oh?" Matt asked, feeling the nerves bubble up inside him. "I'm such a lousy friend" he thought.

"Yeah, it's been kind of a long day and you know... I could use sort of an escape" Lexi replied, "plus with just us hanging out, it'll kinda be like the old days, y'know?"

"Um... yeah... hey L-Lexi... about that..." Matt groaned.

"Yes?"

"...I um... may have to take a raincheck on the whole movie thing" Matt said.

"Oh? Something come up?" Lexi asked, not used to having Matt cancel on her for anything.

"Well um... it's kind of a ...." Matt droned on, thinking of the best way to explain this. "....a....."

"Girl?" Lexi asked, after a long and awkward delay.

"Yes! One of those! A girl!" Matt said, chuckling nervously as each passing moment of Lexi's silence worried him, "but I mean, you're not mad, are you?"

"No... I mean, a little disappointed maybe but... not mad, no" Lexi said, the smile leaving her face, "I um... yeah, go on your date"

"Well it's not really a date..." Matt stammered, "we're not really sure what it is... kind of a hanging out? Maybe even a tour? She's making me buy her dinner"

"Sounds like your type" Lexi said, rolling her eyes.

"What do you mean by that?" Matt asked.

"Nothing, just don't let her use you like the others" Lexi said.

"Oh it's not like that... she's really shy. I just had to offer her dinner to sweeten the pot" Matt said with a confidence in his voice before realizing how silly that sounded. "....that didn't really make me sound very cool, did it?"

"Not at all" Lexi said, seemingly growing colder by the second.

"So hey... I'm really sorry but we could always see the movie tomorrow or something, right?" Matt asked

"Actually no, I've got a late night chem lab tomorrow" Lexi answered,

"Really? But it's only the first day..." Matt said

"Yeah and my chem teacher is being a real hardass" Lexi sighed, "He says this is going to be a very tough class and the lab portion starts tomorrow... it could go until midnight"

"Geez"

"Yeah, so anyway... have fun with your girlfriend or whatever..." Lexi sighed, "...we'll talk again soon, I'm sure"

"Y-Yeah and..." Matt started before being hit with the cold sound of a phone hanging up on him. "Ugh great..."

So Matt sighed, exhaling as the worst was hopefully over and went into the other room to get changed. What does one wear to a 'not a date, but kind of a getting to know you' type of thing? In situations like this, Matt would pull out his trusty laptop and do a google search but there wasn't enough time.

As Matt walked towards his closet he felt a bit woozy.

"T-That was weird..." Matt sighed, a tingly feeling hitting his body. He reached for the closet door handle and pulled it open. "Oh geez..."

Matt cringed as he watched the room starting to grow around him.

Oh shit! Not again! Matt thought, watching his clothes get higher and higher from him as if somebody were pulling the closet bar up and up away from him like a fishing rod.

Frantic, he dialed Lexi.

"What do you want?" she said, with a dejected sigh.

"Lexi... very funny..." Matt scowled.

"What do you mean?" Lexi asked.

"You can't get what you want so you shrink me?" Matt asked, currently standing at only 3 feet tall.

"What are you talking about?" Lexi asked.

"You know what I'm talking about!" Matt yelled out, seeming to have stablized at 3 feet tall but still feeling odd. "I'm slowly shrinking over here!"

"You are?" Lexi asked.

"Yes!"

"So you mean to tell me... if I came over right now, I could see you slowly starting to shrink away?" Lexi asked.

"Well... yes!" Matt snapped.

"Okay I'll be over in 5 minutes!" Lexi grinned, and quickly hung up the phone. Matt sighed in frustration.

Sure enough, true to her word, Lexi knocked on the door in less than 5 minutes. Matt struggled to reach the door knob, barely able to tap it with his hands but he was able to turn it enough so that Lexi could slide the door open, almost bopping Matt in the facr as she let herself in, staring down at her half sized friend.

"Oh wow, you weren't kidding..." Lexi chuckled, "You're little kid sized now..."

"Yeah veeery funny, Lexi!" Matt snapped, pointing up at his growing friend, "You did this to me! Now please undo it!"

"As much as I would love to take credit for this one, it isn't me" Lexi shrugged.

"What do you mean it isn't you?" Matt asked, "Who the hell else could it be?"

As Matt grew angrier, he started to shrink and shrink.

"I don't know... but you may want to start being nicer to me..." Lexi grinned, stepping closer to her shrinking friend and startling him a little.

"Why? What are you going to do to me?" Matt sighed, dejected, "Besides shrink me some more...? You've already humiliated me, Lexi... enough is enough!"

Lexi watched as his friend continue to shrink, eventually becoming ankle height.

"See? It couldn't be me shrinking you" Lexi said, "I would've made you MUCH smaller..."

"Ugh, c'mon Lexi... I know this is you" Matt said, staring up at Lexi.

"You don't believe me, do you?" Lexi frowned.

"No, I don't believe you!" Matt snapped, throwing a mini tantrum, "I piss you off enough and suddenly, I'm only THIS big?"

"You really think I'd do this to you?" Lexi frowned, looking down angrily at little Matt, "Y'know what? Go ahead and call your girlfriend... maybe she could help you..."

Lexi began to make her way towards the exit, much to the dismay of Matt.

"Lexi, wait! Where are you going?" Matt asked nervously, watching her fade out the door.

"I'm going! I'll check up on you later... maybe..." Lexi sighed.

"Lexi wait!! No!!" Matt yelped, watching her leave. "ugh... I don't believe this..."

Matt reached into his pocket and felt for his phone. Thankfully, it had shrunk with him and his clothes.

He dialed Ellen's number and sighed nervously.

"Hi" Ellen said.

"Um,... hi... it's Matt" Matt sighed

"You okay? You sound a little different..." Ellen said.

Matt realized his voice was still a little squeaky. He tried to deepen his voice to compensate.

"Um... yeah I'm fine..." Matt said in a low growl, "well actually... um... I don't think I'll be able to make it tonight"

"Oh? Everything okay?" Ellen asked.

Matt paused a second to deliberate on this question, looking around his giant room. "Um... relatively okay... but I'm not really feeling well unfortunately" Matt sighed, hating to have to cancel.

"Well... that's okay" Ellen said nervously, her voice cracking a little, "Um... hope you feel better, Matt"

"Th-thanks, me too" Matt replied.
"Bye" Ellen said.

"Bye..." Matt sighed, hanging up the phone.

"I hope you're happy, Lexi..." Matt sighed dejectedly, pacing around the room.

As Matt paced around, he realized he was just letting life get him down. He had to go out and get the opportunities being given to him.

"Yeah, y'know what Lexi? I'm not going to take this anymore!" Matt said, standing with confidence. He charged out through the cracked open door and charged down the hallway, making little to no progress at his mousy size. "I'm going to march right up to Lexi, look her straight in the.... ankles... and I'm going to say..."

Just then, a massive foot stomped down beside him.

"Eeek!" Matt squeaked, running away and leaning up against the wall. He ran like a maniac a little further before needing to catch his breath.
He looked around the hallway some more and didn't see anybody approaching. He then scampered further down the hall realizing the door was too massive to open to get to the stairs. He also had nowhere else to go. He then noticed that his roommate had come home and just shut the door to their room. "Oh great."

Matt walked around for a little while longer, the growing exhaustion weakening him. Finally he caved. He dialed Lexis number frantically.

"Yes?" Lexi said, sounding exasperated.

"Lexi! Please help me!" Matt squeaked.

"Well well, if it isn't the man of the hour..." Lexi sighed, rolling her eyes on the other ehd.

"Lexi please! I'm sorry! I'm sorry, I'll never cancel our plans again, I swear! Just help me!" Matt squeaked weakly, "Help me!"

"Oh my god, calm down you big baby" Lexi sighed, "I'll be right there.. where are you?"

"I don't know, Lex... I'm helplessly lost! I'm miles from home and I don't know..." Matt cried.

Within seconds, the door opened and Lexi came sliding out from the other side. She looked down at Matt and grinned.

"Really?" Matt sighed, closing his phone, "you were standing there the whole time?"

"Yep"

"So you've been there for 2 hours?" Matt asked.

"2 hours? Matt, it's been like 3 minutes... and you've walked about 10 feet from your room..." Lexi giggled, "Get a clue... plus I wasn't going to just leave my best friend in trouble like that"

"Well... w-wait, where were you when the giant foot almost stomped on me?" Matt asked, his hands on his hips.

"Oh that. I found that kinda funny because it came nowhere near you but you so freaked out... I was watching from behind the door" Lexi giggled.

"Oh very funny..." Matt growled.

"Awwww c'mon Matt, I was just joking..." Lexi said, putting her hand down as a peace offer. Matt stepped onto Lexi's soft palm and she raised him up, taking him away from there and down the stairs. "Now, are you okay?"

"Yeah... th-thanks..." Matt sighed. "and Lexi, I'm so sorry that I cancelled on you and..."

"Hey." Lexi said, stopping him in his tracks, "No more of that, okay?"

"Hmm?"

"I don't want you to be afraid of me because of all... this" Lexi said, pointing to her tiny friend in her hand, "I know you don't believe me but I didn't shrink you... I didn't even WISH for you to be shrunk... I couldn't have even shrunk you anyway, you were too far away from me to shrink..."

"You mean that power of yours doesn't go through walls?" Matt asked.

"I'm not that good, no" Lexi nodded, "I mean it can work about 20 feet away but that's about the limit of it... I mean, as far as I know... I've never really tested the limits of my powers..."

"So you swear you didn't do this?" Matt asked.

"No I didn't do it" Lexi repeated, "but I could easily undo it"

"Oh now you tell me! Why didn't you tell me that before?" Matt squeaked.

"Because it was all too funny to watch you throw a tiny temper tantrum... but I was going to..." Lexi explained, "but then you started accusing me of shrinking you and I... I got upset... not because you cancelled our plans but because you honestly thought I would use my powers to punish you... and you know I'm not like that"

Matt frowned.

"I...I know... I'm sorry..." Matt sighed.

"It's okay" Lexi sighed, petting her tiny friend on the back. "You were scared, you didn't know better... now hold on"

Lexi placed Matt down on the floor and watched him grow back to his full height.

"Thank you so much!" Matt grinned, hugging his best friend in joy.

"Of course, pal" Lexi giggled, "now why don't you go out there and get your woman?"

"Ehh, I already cancelled..." Matt sighed, "think I pissed her off, too"

"Awww, I'm sorry, dude" Lexi replied, patting him on the shoulder. "Well, hey I think Dr. Strange starts soon if you still wanted to go..."

"You really still wanna go with me?" Matt asked

"Sure, why not?" Lexi said, shrugging.

"Thanks Lex... and don't worry I'll still buy your ticket" Matt said.

"Oh that's not nessecary" Lexi smiled.

"Oh?"

"Yeah... in fact I'll buy tickets for both of us" Lexi said.

"Really?" Matt asked, feeling a tingle go through his spine. "H-hey.. not again..."

After a few seconds Matt looked up at Lexis giggling face and gave her a flat stare.

"You ARE doing this, aren't you?"

"This time, yes." Lexi giggled, "but only to save money..."

Matt looked up confused as he became 4 inches tall again.

"You see, I can sneak you into the movie theater this way and nobody will ever know" Lexi said triumphantly, scooping her tiny friend up again.

"Oh, I get it! And then you'll re-enlarge me once we're inside. Great plan!" Matt squeaked.

"Y-Yeah.... that's what I'll do...." Lexi said, putting her friend into her purse before mumbling, "....maybe...."

"What'd you say?" Matt asked, as Lexi walked them outside.

"I said, 'can't wait'!" Lexi said, giggling under her breath.

"Well I know who's not going to hog the popcorn this time!" Lexi thought to herself in glee.
"