- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is an episodic series and as such, it will center on the misadventures of Matt and Lexi, two close friends who are now going to college together. Each chapter is more or less close ended, but the chapters are sometimes referenced later in the series. 

Matt and Lexi had been friends for many years, going back to their childhood. They spent a few brief years apart during high school after Lexi had moved out of the area, but they would again be going to school together, at Phoenix University. Their friendship had seen many ups and downs. They had even tried dating briefly in 8th grade, but it wasn't meant to be.

One thing was for sure, though, they would be seeing a lot more of each other fairly soon...

Lexi was 5'4, with wavy brown hair and big brown eyes that almost looked child-like when she became surprised or happy. They were usually outlined in dark colors by eye shadow and on occasion she would use lipstick on her full, thick lips. She had a slightly curvy body and was a perennial sci-fi geek.

"Ugh, Matt, I already told you, I don't know my full schedule yet..." Lexi groaned, juggling keeping her phone secured between her face and right shoulder while throwing some things into a gym bag. "...it's been really busy getting everything ready and..."

"...Yeah which is why we should hang out tonight or something, before classes start" Matt retorted, not even letting Lexi finish a sentence, "Cmon... it's been almost a year since we've seen each other"

"I swear, your life would fall apart without me, Matt" Lexi teased, setting the disheveled bag down on the dorm room bed. She sighed, sitting down on the mattress. "Still... I do miss you, twerp"

"Right back at you, shorty" Matt chuckled, "So why don't you let me show you around? I can show you the ropes and everything..."

"So you can do your tour guide voice again? No thanks" Lexi scoffed.

"Okay okay... no voices, I swear" Matt said over the phone.

"I find your whining just oh so charming" Lexi grinned, letting the phone slip into her hands effortlessly and speaking on it like a normal person. "Tell ya what... my new roommate's not moving in until tomorrow... if you want to come over tonight or something.. I suppose you..."

"Okay sounds good, see ya then, bye!" Matt chuckled, quickly terminating their phone conversation. Lexi groaned, tossing her phone onto the nearby desk. She picked her purse up off the ground and set it beside the phone.

"I could've gone to Colorado State but nooooo..." Lexi thought to herself, pacing around the room in her black jeans and blue Star Wars t-shirt. "Well, if he's going to be over soon, I guess I'll have to unpack quickly... good thing I travel lightly"

With that, Lexi lifted 4 small cubes out of her pants pocket and set them down on the ground. She focused her attention on the tiny cubes and watched them expand into full sized boxes, loaded with things for the room.

"Sometimes size changing powers have their benefit..." Lexi thought to herself before shrugging, "then again, when don't they?"

As Lexi unloaded the things from the boxes, she thought to herself about how her powers had come about. It was the weirdest thing but from a very young age, Lexi learned that she could shrink things. Not just things though, she could also shrink people, including herself. She learned this as a little kid when she wandered away from her class on a school hiking trip. After getting lost in the woods she encountered an aggressive bear. Scared out of her mind, she opened her eyes to realize she could shrink the bear to teddy sized and the rest was history. Without even knowing how, Lexi found herself able to shrink all kinds of things and while she rarely used her powers on people, she discovered she could.

"Someday I'll tell Matt..." Lexi muttered to herself, unpacking the things for her room.

Matt was Lexi's best friend and for years they told each other everything. Lexi's years in high school had been... interesting to say the least.

"I'll tell him someday" Lexi said out loud and shrugged, not noticing that Matt was currently standing in the entry way already.

"Tell me what?" Matt said, beaming as he looked in on his friend.

Matt stood at 5'11 with dirty blonde hair and brown eyes. He was a bit slim but extremely awkward and clumsy, not unlike Lexi herself.

"Oh!" Lexi gasped, "Um... nothing, nothing... was just thinking about... homework"

"You're a terrible liar" Matt chuckled, "Cmon, just tell me... you can tell me anything"

"Um..." Lexi said, dragging out her 'um' in a most adorable way, "It's not important"

"Oh sure it isn't..." Matt shrugged, looking around the room at all the boxes. "You sure brought a lot of stuff just to stay here for the semester... you should've told me. I could've helped you carry it up"

"Nah, it was nothing" Lexi said, grinning widely. "I've been working out, yknow"

"Oh and it shows, shorty" Matt laughed, playfully hitting his friend in the arm.

For years, Matt had teased Lexi about their height difference. Lexi was 5'4 but Matt stood at 5'11 and so the nickname "shorty" and several derivatives thereof caught on fast and remained throughout their childhood and beyond. It was always a reason why Lexi was tempted to show her friend just what she was truly capable of.

As Lexi looked around the room and thought about what she had left to do, Matt had already discovered something peculiar. One ice cube sized box on the ground.

"What's this?" Matt asked curiously, picking it up.

Shit, Lexi thought to herself, I forgot to unshrink that box!

"Is this some kind of toy?" Matt asked, looking it over, "Who would have a toy box? Heh... toy box... see what I did there?"

"Y-Yes... very clever, now give it here" Lexi snapped, wasting no time getting at her friend who held the box over her head between two fingers.

"What's the big deal?" Matt asked, squishing down on the box with his fingers.

"H-hey careful... I've got some clothes in there" Lexi yelled out before covering her mouth. Oops.

"Clothes? In here?" Matt asked, skeptically, prying open the tiny cardboard tab as it flopped open in his hands. He tried to examine the contents. "You couldn't fit a thimble of yarn in this thing let alone..."

Matt stood there, mouth agape as he stared into the tiny box and saw a pile of neatly folded clothes. He looked back at Lexi shocked.

"This is some kind of a joke, right?" Matt asked, "or are you one of those weirdos who dresses their Barbie dolls?"

"I don't play with Barbie dolls, you know that... I never did" Lexi replied.

"Well then what is this?" Matt asked, curious as he held the box before her.

"It's nothing, okay? Just put it down on the bed or something" Lexi said. "Now how about that tour you were going to give me?"

"Oh we can go on a nice tour, but first, you should probably explain this..." Matt joked, "do you have some kind of shrink ray or something?"

At that moment, Lexi turned bright red.

Matt leaned in closer to his friend, seeing the fear in her eyes as they fluttered every which way except in his direction. He looked down at her with a smirk. She has to be yanking my chain, he thought.

"You mean you have a shrink ray?" Matt said, playing along, "And you never told me? Why didn't you tell me, Lexi? That's awesome, it's like something out of the movies..."

"I-I-I..." Lexi stammered, "I don't have a shrink ray, don't be ridiculous..."

Matt paced around her, trying to get the truth out of her. She may not have had a shrink ray but there was something going on with her and he had struck a nerve by even implying it.

"So then what's the story, little missy?" Matt teased, "looks like you're keeping a secret from me... and I thought we agreed no more secrets"

"We-we did..." Lexi frowned, "it's just..."

"It's just what?" Matt asked

"It's just... I don't think you're ready to hear this one" Lexi said, "and I don't think I'm ready to tell you..."

"Oh. Okay" Matt said, dropping his interrogation. "I mean, if you say so... I won't pressure you"

"Thanks, Matt ... I really appreciate --"

"So where's the shrink ray? Is it in your desk? Is it on the floor?" Matt said, looking around before looking down at Lexi's clothes. "Is it in your bra or something?"

"Matt!" Lexi sighed.

"You can tell me, not like I'm going to look there..." Matt teased, "well maybe just a peek"

Lexi let out a low growl.

"Matt... the shrink ray is not in this room, okay?" Lexi sighed, growing impatient.

"So then there IS a shrink ray" Matt said.

"Even if there was, what does it matter?" Lexi sighed, rolling her eyes. She was trying desperately to contain her emotions. Sometimes gettimng emotional could trigger brief shrinking episodes and she didn't want that.

Matt paused before making his next move.

"Y'know what?" he said, sounding disinterested and backing away, "You're right... there's no such thing as a shrink ray, and even if there were, you wouldn't have one"

"Why wouldn't I?" Lexi asked, her hands on her hips as she appeared defensive.

"Because" Matt said, matter of factly, "why give somebody so short a shrink ray? That would be extremely dangerous... what if something happened and you became even shorter than you are now?"

"Stop it" Lexi groaned, watching her friend burst into laughter.

"...I mean god forbid you got any shorter, Lex" Matt laughed

"...I'm warning you..." Lexi groaned, the power rushing to her head as she tried to divert her thoughts.

"...oh don't worry Lexi, I'll leave you and your shrink ray alone..." Matt laughed, "hey you got any other mad scientist weapons like a death ray or something?"

"...Matt, this isn't a joke..." Lexi sighed, positively steaming now.

"You sure... it's kinda funny..." Matt laughed, "I'll give you this, you got me going with that little tiny box you had there... must be some kind of movie prop or something"

"Stop it... please" Lexi sighed, putting her finger on her forehead, feeling her whole body increase in temperature.

"You probably couldn't even use a shrink ray" Matt continued on, ignoring her friends pleas. "I took archery with you in 6th grade... that was a disaster... your aim was terrible, and..."

"I SAID STOP!!" Lexi shouted, her voice reverberating in Matt's head as the room began to spin. The warmth from Lexi's body left her and suddenly transferred to his as he felt his extremities tingle, momentarily paralyzed to watch as Lexi and everything around her grew. Lexi gasped, instantly regretting her action as she watched her friend shrink smaller and smaller. Within no time, he was at her waist, then her thighs, then her ankles. Before either of them could speak he had shrunk down to 4 inches tall where he stood agape, now standing besides the miniature box which no longer appeared so miniature.

Lexi's eyes locked down on tiny Matt on the floor. She felt a million emotions go through her... guilt, sorrow, anger, but then one more. Delight.

"Hey Matt... you wanted to help me unpack, right? Why don't you be a dear and unpack that box behind you?" Lexi chuckled, referring him to the small cube behind him.

Matt turned around in fright to see the regular sized box and then looked at the tip of Lexi's shoe as it stood imposingly in front of him. He couldn't even bear to crane his neck up to see Lexi smiling down at him.

"L-Lexi... what's going on?" he gasped. From her vantage point, his voice sounded like a mouse squeaking.

"Well Matt..." Lexi started, then paused, "Hmm, c-could you say that again maybe? A little louder?"


"Damn it Lexi!" Matt squeaked, looking angry, "what did you do to me?"


"Hehehehe, that's what I thought!" Lexi laughed, "you sound so cute down there... very squeaky. A hilarious side effect if I do say so myself"

"Lexi this isn't funny! What have you done to me? Please! Help me!" Matt squeaked even louder.

"Serves you right..." Lexi smirked, looking straight down at tiny Matt, almost able to make out the fear in his face. "I guess I should've mentioned... I don't have a shrink ray... I AM the shrink ray"



"What?" Matt asked, fearfully

Lexi squatted down before her friend, noticing him start to scoot back.

"Oh c'mon you little baby, I'm not going to hurt you..." Lexi sighed, putting her hand behind him before he could run too far. She coralled her little friend in with her other hand, holding him securely as she lifted him up. She admired her handiwork before her eyes as she looked at scared little Matt in her palm, "Not so much of a handful anymore, are you Matt?"

Matt turned his head and looked up sharply, shrieking as he saw Lexi's giant eyeballs staring down at him.

"Is that any way to greet your best friend?" Lexi said, sounding dissappointed, "I mean, yeah I'm not Halle Berry but I never thought I was ugly either"

"Lexi... please.. undo this... please..." Matt said, getting dizzy from looking up at his giant friend and then looking way down at the ground below him.

"I wish I could..." Lexi frowned.

Matt's heart then skipped a beat.

"What?" he gasped.

"Yeah... I'm sorry... I only know how to shrink people" Lexi sighed, "I never learned how to unshrink them..."

"You're joking..." Matt squeaked.

"Nope. Not joking" Lexi said, shaking her head, "You're going to be stuck that size forever, all because you wouldn't leave me alone about my secret... but it won't be so bad, right? I've got a little cage I can keep you in and I'll take care of you and feed you everyday, like a little pet hamster... of course, we both remember what happened to my last hamster? Hmmm, I'll try to be more careful with you, okay?"

Matt nearly collapsed in his giant friend's hand, tears forming in his eyes. He began blubbering like a baby. "Lexi please... no... there has to be something you can do..."

Lexi nodded, looking him over.

"Okay... um... hold on tight though, okay?" Lexi said, bringing Matt closer.

"Um...okay, for what?" he asked.

"This" Lexi smiled, opening her mouth and blowing some hot air over tiny Matt, he felt himself get flinged back and gasped as he was tossed so easily back from just a simple breath. Lexi began laughing, her giggling resonating in his ears. "I'm just kidding you little twerp! Of course I can unshrink you! It may just take some time!"

"H-How much time?" Matt asked

"I don't know, could be a few hours... definitely not more than a day though" Lexi said, nodding.

"A day?! I've got class in the morning" Matt squeaked.

"Oh. Well no worries, I can always carry you there" Lexi smiled.

Matt did not appear amused.

"Oh c'mon, I'm just messin around..." Lexi teased, hovering a finger over her little friend. As if by instinct, Matt began to scoot back in her hand, trying desperately to avoid the tree trunk of a finger as it closed in. She finally slowed down and bopped him gently with her finger tip watching him fall back.

"S-So... what did you mean when you said YOU were the shrink ray?" Matt asked

With a shrug, Lexi casually answered, "it's what it sounds like... I've had these... powers since I was a kid"

"Th-this is quite a secret to keep from me" Matt stammered

Lexi frowned, looking over her tiny pal, "I know but... how could I have ever told you about this? Would you even have believed me??"

"I'd say this is a pretty convincing way of telling me!" Matt squeaked helplessly. Lexi responded by patting him gently on the back with a single finger.

"I know, and you're taking this MUCH better than the other guys I've shrunk" Lexi grinned.

"O-Other guys?" Matt asked

"Oh yeah, you remember my ex, Justin?" Lexi asked, as the tiny Matt answered with a weak nod, "Yeah... let's just say he won't be coming around anymore..."

"You're not exactly filling me with confidence here..." Matt whimpered.

"Oh calm down" Lexi said in a playful tone, "he had it coming, but you're nice... I'd never hurt you, Matt"

Matt sighed with relief.

"I may tease you and play around a bit, but I'd never HURT you" Lexi added.

"....GREAT." Matt groaned.

"Oh shush up, shorty" Lexi teased, poking Matt again, this time a bit more forcefully. He fell backwards onto Lexi's waiting palm.

Matt stumbled up onto his feet slowly. Lexi sighed

"Well... I suppose for you I could probably unshrink you sooner than..."

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door and a female voice from the other side.

"Um, hello? I'm your new roommate, Becky?" the voice said.

Lexi stared at her tiny friend in shock as he stared back.

"I thought you said your roommate didn't move in until tomorrow!" Matt squeaked

"That's what I thought!" Lexi exclaimed.

"Umm, is there somebody in there with you?" Becky asked.

"Um... no... I'm just on the phone... hold on..." Lexi said, putting her phone into her purse. She then lowered Matt inside the open purse.

"Hey wait!" Matt squeaked, dissappearing into the darkness. As he looked straight up at his giant friend, the zipper slowly slid shut, closing him inside with the giant cell phone and makeup within Lexi's purse. Without hesitation, Lexi lifted the purse up off the desk and Matt felt his world going sideways. "Wait!! Let me out of here!"

Matt could hear the 2 ladies socializing briefly as Lexi ended up leaving the room and heading down the hallway. After several turbulent steps, Matt felt himself rolling to a stop. He groaned, looking straight up as the zipper opened again and the room filled with light and the sight of Lexi's smiling face.

"Hey, sorry about that" Lexi sighed, "Couldn't have her seeing you, yknow... you're the only one who knows about this power of mine"

"R-Really? I'm the only one...?" Matt blushed.

"Yeah... well of course..." Lexi smiled, "You're my bestie... now how about that tour?"

"Not sure now is a good time" Matt replied.

"Non-sense!" Lexi exclaimed, "I insist!"

With that, Lexi whisked Matt and her purse back up and continued to walk down the hall.

"Now if you look to your left..." Lexi beamed in her dorkiest tour guide voice, "you'll see the lip gloss I used yesterday... and if you look to your right, you'll see a cell phone which you should never touch unless you wanna get squished by your best friend, Lexi"

Matt rolled his eyes and crossed his arms as he was thrown either which way as the purse dangled from Lexi's shoulder. As he moved around, he could only think one thing.

"This was going to be one crazy semester..."
Chapter End Notes:

I hope you enjoyed your introduction to these characters. The adventures will of course continue and I look forward to reading your thoughts on this new project of mine. Unlike other stories I've written, this series will be more playful and fun and less serious.