- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Things get interesting as Steve feels the effects of The Purple Lightning.

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter 2

The Purple Lightning

 

I felt myself coming to.  I opened my eyes and was greeted by the concerned face of Emma and a terrified crowd onlookers.  I sat up and heard a murmur echo off the cold, hard tile floor of the food court’s main hall.  It seemed as if everyone was talking all at once.

“Oh my god,” Emma said caringly, “are you okay Morgan?”

“Yeah I feel fine,” I replied, “what happened?”

“You had just finished the show and we were coming for coffee,” Emma began to explain.

“You’re relaying old information,” I stated bluntly, “you’d be the perfect anchorwoman.”

“Thanks,” she said rolling her eyes, “anyway, you were holding the door for me and just as I came in I looked back to say something to you, and just as I did a bolt of purple lightning struck you right on the top of your head!  It was terrifying!”

“Damn,” I yelled, “do you know what this means Emma?!”

“What,” she inquired still recovering from her panic.

“I am going to be a superhero,” I wisecracked.

“Haha,” Emma said sarcastically.

“Watch,” I excitedly shouted, “tomorrow I will be shooting lasers out of my eyes!”

Emma reached down a hand and helped me up from my sitting position.

“So, are you sure you don’t need to go to the hospital,” she inquired apprehensively, “because I can drive you over there.”

“Let me tell you,” I gave my best impression of a drunk uncle at a family reunion, “the last thing I need is more medical bills.”

“Hilarious,” Emma remarked sarcastically.

“Honest,” I reassured, “I feel fine!  Great even!”

“Good to hear from a real life superhuman,” Emma was back to her normal joking mood.

“Let’s get some coffee,” I reminded her of the goal, “I am parched!”

“Eyes on the prize,” Emma enthusiastically stated.

I placed my hand on the small of Emma’s back and gave her an encouraging push forward.  She looked back over her shoulder as the corners of her bright pink lips began to curve upwards into a smile.  

“Lead the way,” I said as I began to follow after her.

We turned toward the main marble staircase leading to the second floor.  The stairway consisted of two identical sets of 13 stairs before reaching the second floor of the dining hall.  I stepped up to the first set of steps and began to climb upwards following Emma’s guidance.

I had conquered the first eight steps before I began to feel weak and woozy.  As I reached the top of the first 13 steps I had to turn and sit down on the top stair.

“Emma,” I called up breathing heavily, “hey Emma, wait a minute.”

I looked behind me toward the top of the stairwell.  Emma was at the second floor landing staring down in my direction.

“Is everything okay Morgan,” she called down.

“Please come here,” I yelled in reply.

I turned back and rested my head on my knees.  Behind me, amongst the clamor of the food court, I heard the sound of Emma’s fast, rhythmic steps coming toward me.  I felt a hand on my left shoulder as Emma sat down next to me.

“Like I offered,” Emma frantically restated, “I can take you to the hospital.”

“I will take you up on that offer,” I replied.

“I’ll pull my car up to the door,” she said, “do you need help getting back down.”

“No,” I refused her help, “I think I can do it.”

I stood up and began moving down the stairwell slowly.  About six steps down, my knees began to feel wobbly.  Then, my legs just gave out.

I began tumbling down the hard marble stairs.  I could feel my body bruising as I continued to plummet.  I slammed onto the tile floor of the main hall and rolled over onto my back.  I rubbed the back of my now throbbing head where a welt was already beginning to erupt from my scalp.

“Holy shit,” Emma exclaimed as an employee rushed over to my side.

Emma and the employee helped me to my feet.

“Are you okay sir,” the worker asked compassionately.

“Yeah,” I replied, “Emma here was about to drive me to the hospital.”

“Where is your car,” the worker asked.

“In the eastern student lot,” Emma replied.

With that the two helped me along to Emma’s car.  Emma, opened the car door and the helpful employee lowered me gently into the passenger’s seat.  Emma closed the door and exchanged some unheard words with the man who had just helped with our ordeal.  Then she got into the car and we were off to the hospital.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Thank you all so much for the positive remarks and constructive feedback on the first chapter of this story.  Already after one night we are sitting with 500 reads!  That is absolutely insane to me.  If this story seems to follow parallels to When I Became the Guinea Pig I apologize.  When you have been working on a story for seven months you fall into the groove of writing in that style.  I am trying to break away from those arks, just bear with me.