- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is sort of an experimental story. I just had the idea and had to write it down. It won't be my main story, at least not yet, so Surviving with the Giants might be updated more frequently. And, of course, tags aren't working for me. Just know it is almost the opposite of Surviving with the Giants and it's a gentle story.

A long time ago, in a village far, far away lived a young man named Henry. He lived alone in a tiny hut on the outskirts of his small town. A lowly farmer, he worked nearly all day, trying to grow enough crops to pay the baron and have some left over for himself. The baron lived a lavish life, complete with feasts and enjoyable activities in his free time. He particularly enjoyed hunting game and could often be found in the nearby forest with his bow and arrow.

Henry's small town was one of the several in the surrounding area governed by King George. George ruled the kingdom with an iron fist and would make sure that the barons and landlords always got their payments on time. He would personally take a small fee from whatever was gained as well, so that may have been a reason behind his passion for collecting the taxes. He lived an even better life than the baron, and his well being was evident in his rather robust body and how often he would declare official feasts. Henry didn't like the King very much, for he seemed to care little for the people of his kingdom.

Henry wiped some sweat off his forehead and leaned over his hoe. He was in the process of collecting his crops for his payment to the baron. At the very moment he was preparing some other land for more crops for next season. The payment would be due tomorrow, and his harvest was not looking too well. The weather hadn't been too good all season, and a good number of his crops did not make it. He would be lucky if he had enough to give to the baron. The baron, like the King, was strict and did not take kindly to late or, even worse, insufficient payment. Today was one of the few hot days so far and the heat was taking its toll on Henry. His vision was becoming ever so slightly blurry. He wiped his forehead again and, with a sigh, went back to work.

After working for a few moments Henry heard the sound of multiple footsteps coming down the dirt road through the town. Henry's house was one of the farthest from the town center and he usually would receive news close to last. However, this group was coming from outside the village and thus he received the news first.

A party of men, adorned in heavy, shining armor, waltzed down the road and stopped at Henry's home. Some men rode horses and some didn't.

Henry stopped his work and looked up. "Hello."

"Good afternoon, sir," one of the men said, dismounting from his horse. "We are official scouts of the King and it is our duty to inform you of something urgent."

"Oh, my," Henry replied. "What is it?"

"Well, sir, we have been told not to tell you exactly, for we do not wish to alarm you. All we ask is, do you have a weapon on your home?"

"Why, yes, I do. I have a silver sword hanging on the wall in my home. Why do you ask?"

"We recommend, sir, that you be ready to retrieve and use your weapon of need be in the near future."

"And why is that? Is something wrong?"

"There may be an... enemy coming through soon. If you need to defend yourself, you'll have a weapon to do so with."

"You said that I might need to use it in the near future. How soon do you think that might be?"

"We're not ocmpletely sure, sir, but we believe the... threat could be here within the hour. We'd best be on our way now, so we may warn the others."

"Well, thank you for the warning, officer! Goodbye!"

With that the scouting party trotted off down the road and towards the town to warn the residents. Henry was concerned but did not immediately retrieve his sword. He continued on with his work, determined to get the most out of his crops. He wasn't going to let this threat take away his chances of getting by this month, no matter how dangerous it might be. If it was an opposing faction, he might be asked to join the town militia, as he was an able bodied young man. Although dangerous, Henry couldn't help but think that it might not be so bad, as soldiers don't have to pay rent, even after they have retired.

Henry continued on with his work for around a half hour more before he finally decided to take a break and head inside.

His cabin was unremarkable, though it was a bit better than some others.He was lucky enough to have wooden walls, unlike many others which were mainly dirt. He had a lantern in one of the corners, providing a nice light that he would often use to set the mood for himself at night. On the wall across the door, sitting a few feet above, was his reliable sword. He was grateful that he hadn't used it much. He'd used it to scare off a thief once, but had never killed with it before.

Henry plopped down on his straw mat on the floor that he called his bed. He was thankful for a respite from his work. With nothing to think about, Henry became aware of his dry mouth and his thirst. He reluctantly got up from his bed and headed outside. He felt a light tremor through the ground, but he didn't think much of it and continued with his task. He went around the back to his well and grabbed a bucket. He collected some water from it and greedily slurped some of it, carful not to drink too much so he could have some for later.

Henry went back inside and sat down in a chair at his table. He closed his eyes and pictured himself as the King, pondering on what he would do in such a position. He'd help people like him, those in poverty and struggling to get by. He wouldn't want others to have a life like his. Unfortunately, many did and only a few lived as well off as the King.

Henry sighed and knew he should finish his work. He had little time to waste and needed to get the crops ready for tomorrow. He walked outside and started his task again. As he worked, a woman came from the town and ran up to him.

"Henry! Oh, Henry!" She exclaimed.

"What is it, Hilda?" Henry asked, dropping his hoe. Being it a small town, everyone was close with each other and knew each other quite well.

"Henry, did you hear what the soldier said?"

"Why, yes, I did. They said to make sure our weapons are ready because a 'threat' is coming."

"Yes! And do you know what this threat is?"

"No. The men wouldn't tell me what it was."

"It's a woman, Henry! A woman! I asked them and they told me they weren't supposed to say." Hilda seemed worried and frightened.

"A woman? Why would she be a threat? Even if she was some sort of assassin or something, we have these soldiers here to protect us."

"No, Henry, you don't get it! She's-"

Another tremor interrupted them, this one stronger than the first. Henry shook a little.

"Oh my God, Henry, that's her!" Hilda screamed.

"What do you mean it's-"

"What are we going to do?" Hilda ran off from Henry, clearly distressed.

"That sure was weird," Henry said to himself. "And what are those tremors? An earthquake or something?"

Henry dismissed Hilda's comments, believing her to be delusional. Her remarks made little sense and were ambiguous. What did that mean, it was a woman? And how could this woman be the source of these tremors? It didn't make sense to Henry.

Henry picked up his hoe and went back to work, but yet another tremor disrupted him. He dropped his hoe from the force of it.

"What on earth?" He muttered to himself.

The tremors, along with the soldier's warning and Hilda's comments, were starting to make Henry feel uneasy and even a little frightened. It was all a bit too strange for him.

Henry decided to stop his work for now, just until the tremors subsided. He entered his home and pulled one of his few books off a crude shelf. It was about mythology. Centaurs, giants, satyrs, all that stuff. Henry didn't believe any of it, but he did find it all very interesting. He read for a bit and then put the book back on the shelf.

He went to his bucket to take another sip of water when a fourth, even more powerful tremor, rocked the earth. It was accompanied by a booming sound that was low and resonant. Water sloshed out of the bucket because of it and onto Henry's clothes.

"Oh, joy..." Henry mumbled. These were his only clothes and now they were wet. He'd have to suffer in the damp clothing now for who knows how long until they dried.

Henry went back outside to try and get his clothes to dry faster under the hot sun. He stood there, arms outstretched, for a short time before another tremor shook the ground and forced him to the ground.

"Great!" Henry exclaimed. "Wet AND dirty! My clothes will take so long to get back to normal!"

Henry tried to get up, but a sixth tremor kept him grounded. Then came a seventh, eighth, ninth, each one louder and more powerful than the last. Henry was sufficiently scared now and attempted to crawl back to his cabin, his back to whatever the source of the tremors was. As he approached the door a large shadow cast him and his hut into darkness. An extremely powerful tremor stopped him in his tracks and shook his little cabin. Henry froze and turned around to a sight that no one had ever seen before, one that scared everyone in the entire kingdom.

At first, all he could see were some tan pillars stretching up into the sky. They were huge! They towered over the trees in front of them and had to be at least 4 times their size, maybe even more. Henry looked up more and saw another two pillars, these even larger than the ones he'd just seen. On these pillars was a blue thing that covered the majority of them. Then, Henry's mind put two and two together: this was a woman! Was it the same woman Hilda talked about, the one he'd dismissed so quickly as a delusion? He's really goofed up now.

The giant woman stood still in her spot, not continuing her journey like she had been doing before. Suddenly:

"What a cute little town!"

Henry had to grab his ears to protect them from the volume and force of the giant's voice. Then the meaning of her words sank in. What was she going to do to them?

Henry looked to his right into the village and saw quite the commotion. People were running around and he could hear some screams as well. The militia was armed but cowering in fear. Luckily, the soldiers who'd passed through areas didn't seem as scared and were ready to act.

Henry snapped out of his daze and scrambled back into his hut. He listened to the soliders' words and grabbed his sword off the wall. He backed himself into one of the corners of his home, one farthest from the door and farthest from that... monster.

"Aw, don't be afraid, little guys! I don't want to hurt you!" The giantess boomed, shaking the walls of Henry's hut. Henry was frightened, as he wasn't sure how long his home could last against this woman. He sure didn't want to be inside of it if it collapsed, so he slowly crawled outside, trying to avoid notice. He looked up at the colossal toes and even larger legs. That blue thing must have been a dress.

"Okay. Don't be alarmed, but I'm going to lean over to get a better look! I don't want to hurt anyone!" Her powerful voice hurt Henry's ears.

Henry scrambled to the back of his home as fast as he could to avoid her gaze. He leaned up against the wall, breathing heavily. He heard a whooshing sound and turned to his left, poking his head around the corner. He saw the giant bringing her head closer to the village. Her blonde hair hung loosely and came down farther than her face did. It threatened to crash into some buildings in the town.

"Wow! Your village is really nice!" She said, sounding genuinely interested.

Henry kept his head around the corner, watching as her eyes scanned over the village. He looked to the militia, who were no longer there with their weapons. The soldiers still were, but they seemed to be like the militia earlier: scared. Henry looked back to the giant and to his horror saw her eyes focused directly on him and his hut. Immediately Henry brought his head back around behind the hut and tried his best not to breathe. But it all seemed in vain.

"Why are you hiding, little guy? I'm not going to hurt you!" The giantess said, sending chills down Henry's spine. She most definitely had seen him.

Henry heard the same whooshing sound from earlier with her head, but now it was louder, as it was right next to him. Then there was a light boom as her fingers smashed into the ground next to his home.

"Come on over here! Into my hand!"

Henry looked over at the fingers adorned with gray nail polish. They completely dwarfed his home by many times. Nail polish was only worn by the women of nobility, so how did she get it? Was she the queen of something? Henry wasn't sure why his mind went to these thoughts, considering the situation he was in.

"Okay, don't be scared..."

Henry didn't react immediately, still stuck in his thoughts. He was horrified to see the enormous fingers deftly maneuver around his home and snatch him up like a bug. He was amazed at how she'd managed to grab him without touching his home but also downright terrified. He reached for his sword but saw it fall hundreds of feet to the ground. He felt the pressure of her fingers squeezing his body and wriggled around, trying to free himself. He pounded his fists against her huge fingers, but she either didn't feel it or didn't react to it.

Henry was whisked high into the air, thousands of feet. He was yelling, crying for help, but none came. He was alone up here with the giantess, and he was paralyzed with fear. The giant woman bought him higher and higher until she dropped him into the palm of her left hand.

Her palm was gigantic to poor little Henry, spanning hundreds of feet in all directions. He was completely at her mercy. And at her mercy, he did what most people would do. He dropped to his knees and begged.

"Please, miss, please, please don't kill me," he blubbered, "please, please..."

"Shh, little guy, don't be afraid," the giantess cooed. She brought her giant finger down again. Henry, not understanding her intention, backed away and began to run the length of her palm. It was useless, though; her palm would have taken him minutes to run across, and her finger was moving at almost incomprehensible speeds to the little man.

Henry, out of breath already, stopped in his tracks and looked back at the giant. Her finger was right there, and he nearly fainted. She rubbed her huge finger across his head, trying to comfort him. She repeated this motion over and over again.

Henry felt the large finger caress his tiny head. The pad of her finger was very soft and smelled like vanilla or coconut or something along those lines. She brought it off his head and put it back on over and over. He couldn't deny that he liked the feeling. But who knows? Maybe she was just warming him up, trying to get him to lover his guard, and then she'd crush him or eat him! This newfound realization scared Henry, and he tried to get away from the giantess.

"What's wrong? I don't want to hurt you!" She said in a soft tone that was still quite loud to Henry. "Please, speak to me!"

The giantess lowered her head more so she could listen to Henry, and in doing so Henry got a better look at her face. She was beautiful. Her face was perfectly proportioned and there were no flaws in her skin. Her gigantic hazel eyes stared directly at Henry's minuscule form. Henry felt his knees go weak.

"Please, little guy, just talk to me!"

Henry, not wanting to get on her bad side, reluctantly complied with her demand.

"I'm-I'm Henry," he managed.

"Henry? That's a nice name. I'm Isabel."

"I-Isabel? Ni-nice to meet you, Isabel."

"Nice to meet you too, Henry! Now, can you tell me what you're so afraid of?"

Henry hesitated. Did he really want to tell her? Would she be angry with him?

"I don't know if I should tell you," he said to her.

"Aw, c'mon. I won't get mad, I promise!"

"Well, okay. It's-it's you. You're so big!"

"Me?" She laughed, her hand shaking as a result and Henry being jostled about. "Why me? I wouldn't hurt a fly! Not intentionally, at least. Unless you got me really angry. You wouldn't do that, would you?"

"Never!" Henry shouted almost immediately. Isabel laughed again, with similar results to the first time she did so. Suddenly they both heard a crashing sound, but only Henry felt the boom and only Isabel felt the actual feeling.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! I'm- I'm so sorry!" Isabel stammered, raising her free hand up to her mouth.

"Isabel? Isabel, what did you do?" Henry inquired.

"Henry, look... I'm so sorry! I didn't mean it!"

Isabel took her other hand and positioned it so Henry could see what she wanted him to. Henry saw right away what she'd done, and he was horrified.

Right by her enormous big toe, with its matching gray polish, lay the ruins of one of his neighbor's homes. It was almost beyond recognition. She'd completely pulverized it under her toe. Accidentally, of course, but still demolished it nonetheless.

"Was-was anyone in there?" Isabel asked Henry. She looked like she was on the verge of tears.

Henry didn't want to make her feel any worse than she already was, so he told her a little white lie. To be honest, Henry didn't know if anyone was in there, but why tell her that?

"No, no one was in there. I think they're all at the town center," he told her.

"Oh, really? That's good," she replied, seeming to calm down. "I'm so sorry, everyone!"

Then she tried to talk to Henry specifically, but her sheer size meant that everyone heard her as well.

"I'm so clumsy," she said. "How could I do that?"

"It's-it's okay," Henry said, trying to console her. "I'm sure it's hard being so big."

Isabel laughed. "Yeah, it is, isn't it? It's- ow! What's that?"

"Huh?"

Down at Isabel's left big toe, the soldiers who had given Henry the warning had begun their attack. Swords were being swung and bows were being shot. Henry remembered that there had been at least 10 of them when they talked to him, so there were probably at least 10 at her toe right now.

"Henry, they're attacking me! What do I do? I don't want to hurt anyone else!" She sounded distressed.

"If you don't want to hurt them, then run away! They can't follow you easily; you're much too big for them!"

Isabel followed Henry's advice and walked in the way she would have been walking anyway, had she not stopped at the village. The soldiers below had quite the sight, as her enormous foot passed overhead, the bottom of her toe making them look like puny ants in comparison. The citizens were relieved that Isabel had left, but the soldiers were not. She was still on the run and still dangerous. They would need many more men to stop her, and they planned on taking her out quickly. She was a threat to the kingdom, and the King never let threats go unpunished.
Chapter End Notes:
Any feedback is appreciated. I just wanted to write it downwind not forget it. I also just wrote as I went along with no real plan, so some things might not make sense.