- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Probably my worst chapter so far. Very little action, character development for characters likely no one cares about and it's short. It's more of a filler/bridge chapter. There will be more action in the next chapter, likely tomorrow.
Left alone on the outskirts of their new home, Alex tried to get to know Sarah a bit more. After all, she was his only friend at this size and who knows how long they'd be like this for? It was best for him to form a relationship with his only partner in this mini expedition.

"So, Sarah..." Alex began, "why don't we chat for a bit until my mom gets back? At the very least it'll help pass the time."

"You're right," Sarah agreed. "We've been here together for hours now, and we only know each others' names. If we're gonna be this small forever, I'd at least want to know more about you than just that."

"Okay... Well, for starters, what is your job? Or, used to be. I don't know. What was your job 8 hours ago?"

Sarah laughed. "I was just an accountant in an office down the block from that restaurant we were both at. It was so boring! This has been the most eventful day of my life. It sure does break up the monotony. What about you?"

"Well, I'm still in school, so I don't have a full time job. I work at McDonalds just to make some cash, but I'm focused more on my school work than my job."

"I respect that. You don't want to be stuck working there your whole life. You don't want my job, either. Sitting in front of the computer all day may sound easy, but it's not as easy as it sounds, and it is so boring!"

"I bet. Say, do your get to listen to music or anything while you work? What kind do you like?"

"I wish! It'd help make the day more interesting (like this chapter), but my boss doesn't let us. If he'd let us, well, I'd probably just put on the radio or something. I don't really have a preference for music, just as long as it's not country."

"I feel the same way," Alex remarked. "I can't stand country."

A low rumble interrupted their conversation.

"Well," Alex sighed. "You know what that means. It was nice to talk. If we ever get another opportunity like this, I say we talk again."

"Agreed."

Alex heard some music playing quietly, accompanied by rhythmic booms he'd become all too accustomed to. Both the music and footsteps grew louder by the second, until the door to the room swung wide open. Alex, expecting to see his mother, was in for a rude surpise.

Amanda thundered into the room, her open toed heels banging against the floor. She threw her long jacket off and it landed on their mother's with a small tremor. Amanda stomped towards the tiny city, still oblivious to its existence. She hadn't discovered any of the shrunken metropolises yet, unlike her mother.

Amanda stopped and jumped down onto the bed, shaking the ground lightly. She kicked off her heels and pulled out her phone. She tapped a few things and stuck the phone up to her ear. Alex heard a somewhat quiet ringing. After a few seconds, it stopped.

"Oh my God, Julia, the date with Andrew went great!" His colossal sister boomed. Alex sighed. She was always talking to Julia about things he couldn't care less about and he could never escape it. Now, when everything was amplified, he was pretty irritated.

"He said we should go out again next Friday!" Amanda squealed.

His sister continued her loud and irritating conversation for the better part of 10 minutes. In this time she had begun pacing around the room, causing mayhem in the tiny city by her feet. She paused when she was right by the city and, for some reason Alex could not explain, began studying her red toenails.

To the people of the city, it looked like she was staring right at them. She hadn't yet noticed them, but something had caught her eye.

With her phone still up to her ear, Amanda bent over and got a closer look at her toe. She noticed something on it that had annoyed her. She flicked it off and was about to stand back up when she noticed something else. It was around the same size as what she'd just knocked off her toe, but it was on the floor. She got on all fours and examined the object even closer.

Amanda's enormous eye looked overhead ominously. They'd been spotted. That much was certain. The question was what would she do now that she'd seen them.

"What the hell..." Amanda boomed. "Julia, I'll call you back."

For the umpteenth time that day, Sarah fainted and Alex caught her.

"God damn it."