- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter 17 - A Tough Decision - 3’6”

 

I quickly entered my apartment and closed the door behind me.  After locking the door I walked across the room to sit on my couch.  When I got onto the couch I was shocked to realize that my feet did not reach the floor.

I turned on the tv, once again, I flipped mindlessly through channels, until I settled on watching a really crappy midday newscast on NBC.  Just then I had the thought that I would need new clothes very soon.

I retrieved my cell phone from the pocket of my jeans and proceeded to text Angela.

 

Hey Angela, it’s Steve again.  Do you think you could pick up some new clothes for me on your way home from work?

 

As always, she responded quickly.

 

Sure I can, do you have any idea how tall you are?

 

I responded

 

I don’t know exactly, but the doorknob to your front door is level with my eyes, if that helps at all.

 

Angela did not respond after that, she must’ve not known what to say.  I couldn’t blame her, after all she did agree to help me out in any situation, like a second mother.

The time ticked away as I mindlessly watched the same news stories talked about time and time-again.  I was snapped out of my trance by a knock on the front door.

“Coming,” I called.

I got up from the couch and proceeded to the front door.  I opened the door, looking up expectantly, expecting to see Angela on the other side with new clothes, however, I was greeted by Gina’s bright face grinning down at me.

“Oh, hi Gina, do you need something for Celeste,” I inquired.

“No,” she responded bluntly.  Her smile disappeared and she was all business, “I just wanted to have a serious talk with you.  Can I come in?”

“Uh, sure,” I answered apprehensively.  I did not know if I should be letting anyone into my apartment after the events of the day before, I had a trust for Gina though.

She walked past as I closed the door behind her.  If anything were to happen I was trapped.  We proceeded across the room to sit on the couch.

With the daytime news playing softly in the background Gina and I conversed.

“I have to admit Steve,” Gina started, “you are really cute now!  I always thought you were before but now you’re like a toddler.”

“Thanks for reminding me,” I responded, embarrassed.

“But, I just wanted you to know that I care about you,” She said with great empathy toward me, “and I am willing to stick by you, both as a friend, and as a protector for you.”

“Thank you Gina,” I returned, “I am actually surprised by how much the people who have found out about my situation are willing to help me out,” I said pushing the thought of Rebecca and the twins out of my mind.

“I really need to get back to watching Celeste,” Gina said, “but before I go back, is there anything you need?”

I thought for a brief period.  I did want to know how tall I had become, but after the day before, I was afraid to ask.  I decided that I could trust Gina.

“There is one thing,” I remarked.

“What’s that,” Gina asked, amused.

“I have a measuring wall in my bedroom,” I explained, “and I haven’t checked my height today.  I have been...getting...people to measure my height...for me over the past few days.”

“Okay, I can definitely do that for you before I head out,” Gina proclaimed.

We proceeded from the couch into the bedroom.  I retrieved the tape measure and handed it up to Gina’s awaiting hand.  I then found where the previous marks had been and noticed that I had to crane my neck up to spot them.  I placed my back against the wall and stared at Gina’s navel as I awaited the measurement.

“Let’s see, you’re 3’6” on the dot,” Gina said as she made a new mark on the wall with the pencil.

“Great, toddler sized,” I said sarcastically trying to not show that my heart had sunk into my stomach.

Gina said her goodbyes and left to go watch Celeste.  I closed the door behind her, noticing that now the knob was level with the top of my head.

I decided to sit back and watch more tv until Angela would return with my new clothes.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Thank you guys for the constructive criticism!  I have been pulling myself through some recent writer's block as of late.

 

But, in other news, this story has officially broken the 30,000 read mark!  As always thank you all so much for supporting this journey!  I never expected my first story to attract this much support, I love you all!  Thank you!