- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Please leave feedback!  Enjoy!

Chapter 1 - A Matter of Chance 5’9”


Hello, I’m Steve Jones.  Before I was well...like this I was a senior at my local high school.  However, one day I made a decision that would change my life forever.

It was a warm summer day in Richmond, Virginia, not a cloud in the sky.  I was walking home from a long day of school.  Being a high school senior can be tough sometimes; all the thoughts of college decisions, and striving to find some way to make a quick buck.

Lost in thought, I was walking home to my third story apartment, a real shithole, that place is; my parents had decided to let me live on my own since I would soon be an adult and needed to learn to live independently.  The landlord gave the living space to me for a cheap price so I jumped at the opportunity.  It has two full sized rooms, a kitchen, a bathroom, and a single small closet, and not to mention the walls are littered with holes.  The only real perk is that I have a balcony with a nice view of the park across the street.

I had mindlessly made my way to the front door of my apartment building.  Stopping to hold the door for a statuesque woman with long golden-blonde hair carrying a handful of white paper flyers.  She easily stood at a height of 6’3” but with the 3” heels she was wearing made her that much more imposing.

“Thank you,” she said sweetly.

“If you don’t mind ma’am, may I ask what you are advertising,” I asked with great wonder.  Being a drummer for a small local band, most of the income I had came from very small Battle of the Bands competitions.

“The medicinal laboratory downtown is looking for people to test new developing drugs on.  The job is risky, however, there is a cash reward if you are interested,” she responded.

“I’m definitely interested,” I said seeing dollar signs in my eyes.

“Ok, honey here is a flyer,” the woman said gleefully handing me a flyer.  “It has all of the details about the testing, and you won’t even have to come down to the lab building, we send the drugs to you!”

“Thank you very much,” I said with great enthusiasm.

I couldn’t believe what had just happened.  In the elevator up to my floor, I could only think of how much money I could potentially make.

“There is no way that actually just happened.  Free money literally just ran into me at my doorstep,” I thought.

The elevator doors opened and lost in thought I almost bumped into my neighbor Angela.  Angela was a truly beautiful woman.  She was 27 years old and had acted like a second mother to me ever since I moved in.  She stood at about 5’6” and had slightly-longer than shoulder-length black hair, with a caramel-colored tan to her white skin.

Angela’s seven year-old daughter Celeste was with her.  An average looking little girl with very long dark brown hair.  Celeste was a spoiled brat because of Angela’s sweet personality.  She got whatever she wanted and would not take no for an answer.

“Hey there Angela,” I greeted, “and hi Celeste,” I said ruffling the seven year-old’s hair.  Despite how bratty she was, I couldn’t help but love the little girl.

“Hi Steve, Celeste and I are just on the way to a piano lesson,” Angela responded.

“Oh, the little one is in piano lessons now?  That’s a very good instrument to start with,” I said energetically.

“I figured a musician like you would appreciate that,” Angela joked.

“Come on mommy we’re going to be late,” Celeste butted in.

“Okay, I’ll let you guys go,” I said as I walked passed the two with a farewell wave.

I opened the door to my apartment and walked inside, setting the flyer on the kitchen counter next to my cell phone and took my backpack into my bedroom, putting it behind my drum set.  With the limited space, I used my bedroom as a practice room as well, with the other full-sized room being my living room, where my Xbox and tv were set up.

After a trip to the restroom after a long day of school, I headed out to make the call that would change my life forever.