- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Ah, I accidentally deleted my initial posting of this story, sorry. Here's my second go. There's a bunch of exposition, but it gets exciting later. I promise ;)

“This is awful,” Sophie declared. The old university library’s silence was abruptly broken in the corner where Sophie and Duke sat. Duke tempered his scrawling in his notebook to inquire about what was upsetting his study mate and long-time friend.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

Her big dark eyes leered at him. “Read this!” She hastily shoved a news article in his face.

The article title circled in red ink read Third Midtown University student dies from hazing. “Some frat boy just overdrinking again?” he shrugged dismissively.

 

“The university can’t keep letting this happen. Fraternities and sororities are such awful institutions, and the university newspaper just posts this article as an afterthought. ‘Oh some kid died, no big deal.’ They just slap them on the wrist and blame the victim. That poor kid…”

Sophie was visibly upset. Ever since they became friends back in high school, Duke knew how upset the injustices of the world made her. She was so passionate and determined, something he had always liked about her. They were similar in that respect; although, she was a journalism major and he was biochemistry major, both had numerous accolades and promising careers in their work.

 

“…that’s someone’s child, and those douchebaggy entitled rich kids don’t care. They just get their mommies and daddies to pay for it…”

He sighed, watching her go on, trying to hold back a smile. He almost enjoyed watching her work herself up over the plight of the little man, watching her animated hand movements fly and slightly curled lip unfurl with every statement. As much as he hated to admit it to himself, he still had some feelings for her and a definitely strong physical attraction toward her. Unfortunately neither had time for a relationship that extended past what already existed.

 

“Are you listening to me?”

 

He looked up. “Yeah. Um, it really is awful,” pulling from what he remembered her discussing. “You should write an editorial with your thoughts about it. Give your voice a platform.”

 

Sophie continued frowning. “I don’t think it’s enough…” She paused a moment, then said triumphantly, “No, no, what I need to do is write a complete, shocking exposé! I need to let the student body know the horrors of sororities and fraternities here at Midtown, to motivate the lay student to do something about it. Something so terrifying, the fancy lawyers the sororities and fraternities hire won’t be able to defend them…”

“Good luck getting any of those people with the inside scoop to dish anything worth writing about.”

 

“You’re not helping… …but you’re right. If I need any information, I have to go find out myself!”

Duke chortled in surprise. “Ha. Very Never Been Kissed of you.”

“Haha, except I’m the same age as the other girls, and I won’t get caught. I’m surprised you’ve seen that movie. I’d like to think of it more as investigative journalism.” She smiled and continued, “You know, this could be the piece that gets me primed for New York Times—in addition to the whole dismantling-of-the-sorority-establishment thing. I’m gonna do this!” Sophie lit up.

 

Duke tentatively stated, “If you want to do this, it’s your prerogative, but it has to be all or nothing. You know, you can’t just go through initiation and not get in. The real stuff that happens behind closed doors comes up after they accept you. It’s going to take a lot of time and effort.”

“No. You’re absolutely right. Go big or go home. I can’t just join some lower-tier sorority. I have to take down the largest sorority on campus, the one with all the secrets: Gamma Theta Sigma. …do you think I have what it takes? Can I do this?”

 

“Well, you definitely have the looks for it,” he said, matter-of-factly. “You can do anything you set your mind to.”

 

“Thanks! You should help me out too! Join one of the fraternities, and we can tackle the problem together!”

He grimaced. “I am flattered, but outside from the nerdy honor society frats, that’s not gonna happen.”

 

“You’re not even gonna try?”

“Like you said, all or nothing. I choose nothing. Besides, I don’t want them to get any more suspicious of you than they already might be.”

“Well, if you could help out in any way, it would mean a lot to me.”

“Do I get anything out of this?”

“The satisfaction of helping out a friend and stopping further injustice?”

“Oh, well, in that case… Definitely no.”

 

She gently shoved him. “Fine. I’ll owe you. Something. I don't know. Just think about it.”

“Sophie, you know I would help. I just don’t know how.”

 

“Ha, outside of joining one yourself, me neither. I’m pumped though. I need to study the sorority and become a pledge. They’ll put me through some shit, but as soon as I get it, I’ll destroy them from the ground up. I have to start studying this more now! I’ll let you get back to your science research. Call or text if you think of any way to help.”

 

She darted off to another section of the library, with a spring in her step and a fiery determination in her eyes. Duke sighed again, picked up his pencil, and continued writing out long subatomic formulas, progressing closer and closer to a scientific breakthrough.