- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The second part of this three part series if finally here! This part has two girls instead of just the one. The first girl name is Jessica who moved in three months after Destiny 'moved out'. She's gentle and kind when they make contact. Ryan on the other hand...read to find out
John and Ariel had started a new life together, as a normal Ranger would do after they returned from their tour. Ariel became a volunteer to support the ranger squads still going outside to collect food. John on the other hand, he just wasn't himself. He had become increasingly difficult to talk to and would spend hours away from Ariel. One of the things he would do was to visit Destiny the goddess he and Ariel had taken down, who was now on display like a circus freak.


He was in the tent that had been built to contain the show, the announcer walked out with Destiny in chains. John looked at her and remembered when she was a goddess that towered above him and could kill with little or no effort but that she was his size, things were much different.


"Here we have the once dangerous Goddess Destiny chained up for the crimes against the colony." The announcer said to the typical crowd of nearly one hundred. Then there was an extremely loud roar from the crowd. Clearly, they wanted revenge against Destiny for the hundreds of rangers she's killed over the three years she's been living here. Sons, daughters. Mothers and fathers have all been ended by her weather she knew it or not. John could hear things like ‘You monster!’ and ‘Fucking bitch!’ being shouted at her. Then the lights turned off and there was a spotlight being pointed at Destiny.


"The throwing of the food." John thought. He had come here almost everyday since she had been here and every time, the crowd would toss the rotting food that they wouldn't eat at her. It was a way of getting back at her. They were throwing the food the rangers had collected from her old room. Some families would get food just to let it rot for weeks at a time just to throw it at Destiny.


"Ladies and Gentlemen! Boys and girls! This is the once terrifying goddess Destiny. She caused hundreds to die under her. Some, she crushed under her once massive soles while in some instances, she ate them alive while they tried to get food for us. How does that make you feel?" The announcer shouted as he walked around the chains that held Destiny down. The crowd went wild as they continued to throw the food at Destiny. "That's what I want to hear!"


The announcer continued to talk and the crowd continued to throw food into the cage. That's when John was about to leave the tent and head home. But before he exited the show, he heard the announcer shout something that made John stop completely. "Now we don't know who got her to this size or how they did it but they're heroes to our colony. We don't know if they're dead or in this very place but either way, let's give them a round of applause." The announcer shouted and clapped. The audience quickly followed suit.


After a few minutes of walking back to his house, John opened the door and saw Ariel staring at him. "Were you at that stupid show again?" John brushed off Ariel and continued to walk to their room. "Dammit John! Answer me! Did you go see that bitch again?" John turned around and stared at Ariel.


"I just feel bad about what I did to her. What we did to her." He grabbed Ariel's hands. "She had a normal life before we ruined it. Now she's treated like an animal!" John then sat down on the couch, almost on the verge of tears. "Sure she was hurting us but that gave us no right to shrink her. Especially not to treat her like that."


"We did what we had to do. You were captured by her and tortured. Whatever she gets, it's too good for her after what she did." Ariel then got down on her knees and comforted John. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. "I'll get it. You just wash yourself up."


Opening the door, Ariel met the mysterious man from three months ago. "George Marcus. I thought we would never meet again."


He cleared his throat. "I'm not here for you little missy. I'm here for John." He pulled out a piece of paper. "John! You might want to get over here." Ariel called. John then came out of the bathroom, his face covered in water. "Might want to get cleaned up. Don't want to go out looking like that. You have two minutes."


After a few minutes, John came outside and started to walk with George. "You and Ariel did a great service for the colony by getting rid of that giant bitch. You've saved more lives than you could ever imagine."


George said as he and John walked to the edge of the colony. "Why you telling me this now? I did that last month."


George stopped in his tracks and turned to John. "Because the last unit we sent out there hasn't come back. You remember your training when they told you that the average mission is three hours before everyone is either home or considered dead? Well the unit we sent out hasn't reported back in almost ten hours." George confessed.


"Why are you telling me? I thought we agreed we didn't have the go outside anymore." John questioned.


"For one simple reason. You're going out there to see what's out there because you're the only experienced rangers we have left. I already assembled a team for you. Head to the ranger HQ in ten minutes. Congratulations son, you're going on your second tour." George then reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a piece of paper. He then handed it to John who quickly read through it. “Sides, we never signed anything on you not going back out. All soldiers have to go out at least three times. Ariel already fulfilled her three tours. You never did.”


"So it's official. I'm going on my second tour." John said as Marcus started to walk away.


"Yes. Yes you are."


The shocked John then returned home to say goodbye to Ariel, probably for the last time. "I'm going back out." John said to Ariel who was making lunch for the two of them. "When do you deploy?" She said as she put her hands on her head.


"Today. That's what Marcus wanted to talk to me about."


"I can talk to him. Convince him to take someone else." Ariel said, clearly trying to get John to stay in the colony with her. "Don't. You said it yourself. This is for the colony. This is our duty. I'll see you tonight. I promise, you won't have to come rescue me this time. I won't get noticed by whoever is out there." John then hugged Ariel and headed towards the door. "I love you." John said as he opened the door.


"Good luck. I love you too." Ariel then ran towards John and kissed him on the lips. Ariel then hugged John and started to tear up. "Do me a favor and be careful. Ok? I don't need you coming home in a body bag."


"Don't worry. I'll be safe. I promise." John said before separating himself from Ariel's embrace and leaving the house to head off to the ranger headquarters.


As John walked to the ranger HQ, he saw the strange man from the first time he had signed up for the Rangers walking around, barely getting a word in edgewise with the amount of people pushing him away. John, feeling some change in his pocket, walked up to the man. "Sir! Here, get yourself some food." John handed the man the coins.


"Thank you sir. I've met you before right? I have. Name's Darwin." At first, this Darwin was grateful for John's offer, but upon seeing John's ID tag on his left breast, which had the ranger symbol of two crosses and wings, Darwin threw the money back at John. "I don't need your charity you scum ranger! I can support myself." Darwin screamed at the top of his lungs. He then scurried away from John, limping towards his 'home' which was just a small box in an abandoned alley.


After the weird experience with Darwin, John arrived at HQ. Walking to the barracks, he unlocked his locker and suited up. He didn't know what he was going to see on the outside. He might see another Destiny out there. A goddess that was waiting for them to come out on the tunnel and do experiments on them. As he was was thinking of what terrible things could happen to him and his squad, someone touched his shoulder, breaking him free of the delusional state.


"You're John right? Name's Jerry. Mr. Marcus wanted me to join you on your mission." Jerry said as John continued to suit up. "When was the last time you went out?" John asked the eager Jerry as he popped on his gauntlets.


"Last week was my first tour. I'm guessing it's going to be just another scavenge tour. Should be easy." Jerry said to John, clearly not knowing what the real mission was. "You'll see. You'll see." John said as he walked to the metal door a few hundred yards away with Jerry not to far behind. "You mean it's not going to be a scavenging tour? What is it?" John remained silent. Jerry then grabbed John's shoulder and forced him to stop. "What's out there?" John was just about to answer but George came up to them. "Gentlemen! You don't want to be late now do you? Get in line!" He said as the two got into formation.


"I can't tell you what a great service you ten are about to do. Not many of you know the mission so I will give the honor to your commander to tell you. See you when you come back." George said as he let the female officer give the mission to the squad.

"Yesterday, we sent out a ranger squad to collect food like normal but there was a complication. None of them returned. For the past few months, there have been zero fatalities going on the outside since Goddess Destiny has been here shrunk. Your mission is to find what is out there and see if whatever is out there can be reasoned with. If any of you get captured, there is a fast acting toxin that with kill you in seconds built into your suit. Good luck." The commander said as he opened the metal door. The squad ran out in full force with John and Jerry in the very back, barely keeping pace.
Chapter End Notes:
Thank you for reading. This series has been an obsession of mine for a few months now. I'm super excited to have everyone read what I've been working on. Please leave a comment on what you liked or didn't like.